• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keikaku

Corran Horn said:
Tempting on quitting for awhile, or switching races. Fucking hating protoss right now. Cant do shit it seems.

I switched to Zerg for this very reason. Obviously, this was my personal feeling and lots of people have success with Protoss, but they just feel so static in their strategies. And, no, I don't just mean 4 Gate.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
one good thing to be said about zerg is they sure do feel rewarding.

they also have the advantage of the techtree, because its somewhat limited it has been explorer much more deeply than the other races, so there's something cool you can do with every unit and upgrade zerg has.

zlatko

Banned
Corran Horn said:
Tempting on quitting for awhile, or switching races. Fucking hating protoss right now. Cant do shit it seems.

0000zq3f.gif

Keikaku

Pandaman said:
one good thing to be said about zerg is they sure do feel rewarding.

The best moment is right after an engagement, when I'm looking to replace my army. I know what my opponent is fielding and I can make exactly the units I need to kill them in MASS QUANTITIES.

Holding a 4-gate rush while queuing up lings to chase down the retreating units and roaches for the kill never gets old. Nor does spawning 20+ roaches and hydras :D

EDIT: See also, ling/bane flank attacks. So . . . delicious.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Corran Horn said:
Won my placement into diamond. Proceed to lose 5 in a row. But since at 0 points im fine! -,- fucking cheesey zergs.

Won first game...already in top 10...
use the gaf, there is no zerg rush i cannot teach you to crush with ease.

just gotta scout, toss and terrans are too comfortable being lazy vs zergs.

Boken

Banned
Corran Horn said:
Won my placement into diamond. Proceed to lose 5 in a row. But since at 0 points im fine! -,- fucking cheesey zergs.

Won first game...already in top 10...
My story is, get promoted into diamond - lose 10 games in a row. : (

I can drone properly for most early game scenarios but once I hit midgame I just have no idea if I should make units and try to kill them or just drone and expand because I am shit scared of the late game.

Zerg does feel pretty good though because you feel so vulnerable so beating any timing push is quite a fuck yea moment. For any other race, FF the ramp or wall off it's just Tuesday.

Flea

Banned
Does anyone know if MLG is planning on uploading replays of the games? Some of the spoilers of the games I read on TL seem pretty badass.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
season 2 gaf:
-people who placed into diamond in november and then stopped laddering and are now wonder why they cant still hang in season 2.

Flea said:
Does anyone know if MLG is planning on uploading replays of the games? Some of the spoilers of the games I read on TL seem pretty badass.

You can find all the replays here:
http://s3.majorleaguegaming.com/2011-dallas-starcraft2-champ.html

and here:
http://s3.majorleaguegaming.com/2011-dallas-starcraft2-open.html

Just click on "match info" underneath the games that you want the replays for.
And don't forget to click on Winners/Losers on the left for even more replays or you might miss some. =)

Someone is also compiling all the available replays somewhere on reddit too if you wanna try and look for it there. =D

twofold

Boken said:
My story is, get promoted into diamond - lose 10 games in a row. : (

I can drone properly for most early game scenarios but once I hit midgame I just have no idea if I should make units and try to kill them or just drone and expand because I am shit scared of the late game.

Zerg does feel pretty good though because you feel so vulnerable so beating any timing push is quite a fuck yea moment. For any other race, FF the ramp or wall off it's just Tuesday.

My goal at the moment in the midgame, as Zerg, is to get my third up with around 60 drones and then start to be aggressive. Contain your opponent and keep them on two bases, not allowing them to get a third. Slowly drone up to 72 and get a 4th, 5th etc. Julyzerg style aggression with Roach/Ling/Bling/Muta is so much fun in ZvT.

As long as you stop them from putting up a third, you should win.

Keikaku

I just played the worst game I've ever played. I was on 4 bases to 3 against a terran going mass Thor+Banshee.

I had Spire tech and the time and resources to go greater spire and broodlords and, for whatever reason, I just didn't. It was fucking stupid of me because I kept throwing my roach/ling/muta ball right into the teeth of his army and losing it. I did this 3-4 times and not once did I think "Brood Lords".

They would have killed this dude SO HARD as he had literally 3-5 marines in his army and only the thors to shoot up. Damn it, damn it, damn it.

EDIT: And that's assuming his Thors could have done anything with swarms of broodlings at their feet. Fuck.

DOUBLE EDIT: And I need to scout more. God, I'm terrible about that >.>

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Corran Horn said:
lol you
Pandaman said:
season 2 gaf:
-people who placed into diamond in november and then stopped laddering and are now wonder why they cant still hang in season 2.
I fear for myself.
Its ok though, people on ladder have like 1 timing attack on 1 or 2 base and never harass right?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Pandaman said:
i used my trials to smurf lower leagues and it was just wowzers.
Again, what do you mean? Are they any good? Any bad? What do they do?

BigAT

Yoshichan said:
Again, what do you mean? Are they any good? Any bad? What do they do?
I'm guessing he means that "timing attacks" at the pro level are called as such because they intentionally happen in a very specific time frame, as a result of thinking that your opponent will be vulnerable or that you will have some advantage (army size, upgrades, etc.) for a small window of time.

To use the same term on lower levels as though there is any real strategic rhyme or reason behind the timing of the attacks is silly after you see how poorly planned out and random they are.

Boken

Banned
Keikaku said:
I just played the worst game I've ever played. I was on 4 bases to 3 against a terran going mass Thor+Banshee.

I had Spire tech and the time and resources to go greater spire and broodlords and, for whatever reason, I just didn't. It was fucking stupid of me because I kept throwing my roach/ling/muta ball right into the teeth of his army and losing it. I did this 3-4 times and not once did I think "Brood Lords".

They would have killed this dude SO HARD as he had literally 3-5 marines in his army and only the thors to shoot up. Damn it, damn it, damn it.

EDIT: And that's assuming his Thors could have done anything with swarms of broodlings at their feet. Fuck.

DOUBLE EDIT: And I need to scout more. God, I'm terrible about that >.>

Yeah I've had games where I stubbornly stayed on tech and even though I was really ahead, I lost. Quite the eye opener when you revisit the game just how dumb you were being. I kept suiciding my ultra/ling/infestor army into his thor/tank/raven army into the chokes on typhon peaks... and now I hate that map forever. (ZvP on slag is pretty balls though so now I have no idea which to veto).

BigAT said:
I'm guessing he means that "timing attacks" at the pro level are called as such because they intentionally happen in a very specific time frame, as a result of thinking that your opponent will be vulnerable or that you will have some advantage (army size, upgrades, etc.) for a small window of time.

To use the same term on lower levels as though there is any real strategic rhyme or reason behind the timing of the attacks is silly after you see how poorly planned out and random they are.

My attacks are certainly random. lol

Siege tanks are so absurdly overpowered at low skill levels. Well, Terran in general is, but siege tanks in particular are just a scrub's wet dream x 100.

I actually got to face a terran today. We were close positions on delta quadrant. I did a fast expand, he did a proxy rax marine/bunker rush. I held it off without losing pretty much anything so at that point i knew i had won.

A little while later i sacced an overlord and saw 2 ports with tech labs building. I just chucked down a few spores and i already had extra queens. They did no damage.

After getting hit by tons of muta harass he came in for one last attack which i killed with minimal losses so he instantly quit without a GG.

BigAT said:

I don't really have timing attacks like the pros yet (i.e. hit before stim) im still learning. I mostly just scout there base, get a feel of what they have and decide if i can attack.

I mostly just like to harass and counter but if i get the feeling they are being greedy or are slightly weak i just go all out to kil them.

Edit: i was also wondering what other peoples experiences are like with forge fast expands. So far i have never lost to one, in fact every single time its just an easy win.

Are people on the ladder just really bad at this build?

Aylinato

slidewinder said:
Siege tanks are so absurdly overpowered at low skill levels. Well, Terran in general is, but siege tanks in particular are just a scrub's wet dream x 100.

phoenixs, and zealots, GG tanks

(i always do it when diamond level people rush to tanks, but then again i havent played 1v1 in forever)

I enjoy fun =P and being a casual. Those non-casuals can have their 1v1.

ultron87

Aylinato said:
phoenixs, and zealots, GG tanks

(i always do it when diamond level people rush to tanks, but then again i havent played 1v1 in forever)

I love how Toss has so many options for dealing with tanks. If you don't want to use Zealots or Phoenixes you can just use Immortals or Blink Stalkers.

Means I almost never have to deal with them.

Aylinato

ultron87 said:
I love how Toss has so many options for dealing with tanks. If you don't want to use Zealots or Phoenixes you can just use Immortals or Blink Stalkers.

Means I almost never have to deal with them.

yea, we have a lot of ways to counter tanks and thors, but only really a lot of options for the heavy stuff, most of the tier 1 crap we have to have colosi, it's horse piss

zlatko

Banned
Just watched the Huk vs idra games from day 3. I only ended up seeing the grand finals and maybe a few games before that so I missed out on idra 2-0ing Huk.

I LOVED how idra took the overlords to make quick temporary highway, then sent a queen full of energy to place creep tumors where the temporary highway was to make it permanent. Then using that to get hydras over to Huks base super fast along with the lings. I was hella impressed.

I also watched the game where idra lost to TLO right after that. Why did they only play 1 game? Or does MLG only have 1 game up to see? idra definitely quit out way too early I think in that game. There was 2 thors already out, but idra had managed to kill off a good chunk of workers, had 20 lings coming, was on 2 base, and had almost 600 minerals and gas ready to use. I think he said in an interview it was something about he had lost some workers thanks to the hellions earlier on, and that the Thors would be repaired forever if he tried to regroup... but with the new patch from a while ago letting SCVs build up the same ratio of hate as whatever they repair I definitely think he could have over run TLO later on.

Is there something else I missed to why he thought he was so far behind? I would've probably went ling roach, and put up some spines to just hold off whatever first push comes.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
zlatko said:
Just watched the Huk vs idra games from day 3. I only ended up seeing the grand finals and maybe a few games before that so I missed out on idra 2-0ing Huk.

I LOVED how idra took the overlords to make quick temporary highway, then sent a queen full of energy to place creep tumors where the temporary highway was to make it permanent. Then using that to get hydras over to Huks base super fast along with the lings. I was hella impressed.

I also watched the game where idra lost to TLO right after that. Why did they only play 1 game? Or does MLG only have 1 game up to see? idra definitely quit out way too early I think in that game. There was 2 thors already out, but idra had managed to kill off a good chunk of workers, had 20 lings coming, was on 2 base, and had almost 600 minerals and gas ready to use. I think he said in an interview it was something about he had lost some workers thanks to the hellions earlier on, and that the Thors would be repaired forever if he tried to regroup... but with the new patch from a while ago letting SCVs build up the same ratio of hate as whatever they repair I definitely think he could have over run TLO later on.

Is there something else I missed to why he thought he was so far behind? I would've probably went ling roach, and put up some spines to just hold off whatever first push comes.

game 2: They lagged out after a bunker rush or something, and idra just said he'd forfeit instead of a rematch

ksan

Aylinato said:
WHAT LEAGUE U IN

caps lock
low master on euuuu

only diamond on na, na harder confirmedd durrr
8-0 on ladder, and played a nice bo3 against holden where he took me down 2-1

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ksan said:
low master on euuuu

only diamond on na, na harder confirmedd durrr
8-0 on ladder, and played a nice bo3 against holden where he took me down 2-1
holden is eu too, thats probably how you got the 1. >_>

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Pandaman said:
season 2 gaf:
Yes because 1 base all-ins is wonderful game to play.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I was looking forward to him telling us what the pros did wrong tomorrow and give us tactics from a Platinum Protoss that doesn't actually play the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom