• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Tntnnbltn said:
Must've been the Yoshichan trojan. :(
:lol :lol

Formated my computer... feels sooo good.

Trickster

Been getting crushed by terrans that get the MMM ball + vikings to deal with collosus, any tips on how I'm supposed to handle that kind of unit combo?

I'm working on an MMM vikings plan myself. The thing that kills me most often is early air attacks, mostly because I'm concentrating on protecting my expansion and pumping out as many marines and marauders as I can.

EDIT : Also, what's a good way as a Terran to force myself to be more aggressive early on? I don't think it's wise to only begin punching my opponent around the 15 minute mark....

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Lord_Nergal said:
I'm working on an MMM vikings plan myself. The thing that kills me most often is early air attacks, mostly because I'm concentrating on protecting my expansion and pumping out as many marines and marauders as I can.

EDIT : Also, what's a good way as a Terran to force myself to be more aggressive early on? I don't think it's wise to only begin punching my opponent around the 15 minute mark....
vs protoss marauders with concussive shells
vs zerg, bunkering fast expos.

ultron87

Lord_Nergal said:

Against Protoss you can always just try the "see if I can walk up his ramp and kill him with 2 early marauders and a marine" or some similar build. Teach those silly protoss to use force field on the ramp.

ultron87 said:
Against Protoss you can always just try the "see if I can walk up his ramp and kill him with 2 early marauders and a marine" or some similar build. Teach those silly protoss to use force field on the ramp.

Tried this on Scrap station, failed, but I caught his expansion into the gold early. Will have to try this more.

Spl1nter

Lord_Nergal said:
Tried this on Scrap station, failed, but I caught his expansion into the gold early. Will have to try this more.

Thats the worst map possible to do the marine marauder early poke lol

Ecto311

Lord_Nergal said:

Bronzer here but, I have had a lot of luck recently with reapers. If you can get marauders then you can get a reaper and use it to poke around. It's amazing how many games I would have lost if I didn't see the tech for DT and get a fast raven out.

I bet 5 of my last 8 games were people going quick DT - I poke around with my reaper, kill a probe and leave then hit them with a ball of mm and raven. The pdd takes shots off the cannons while concussive shells slow the bastards down.

4+ reapers will take out a pylon very quickly also.

Ecto311 said:
Bronzer here but, I have had a lot of luck recently with reapers. If you can get marauders then you can get a reaper and use it to poke around. It's amazing how many games I would have lost if I didn't see the tech for DT and get a fast raven out.

I bet 5 of my last 8 games were people going quick DT - I poke around with my reaper, kill a probe and leave then hit them with a ball of mm and raven. The pdd takes shots off the cannons while concussive shells slow the bastards down.

4+ reapers will take out a pylon very quickly also.

Thanks for the tips, I'll mix in a little Reaper action in a few games soon.

clav

Trickster said:
Been getting crushed by terrans that get the MMM ball + vikings to deal with collosus, any tips on how I'm supposed to handle that kind of unit combo?
It depends how you approach it although any solution to counter the MMM ball + vikings requires some micro.

1. Colossus need micro to avoid being sniped.
2. Sentries to split the terran bio ball with forcefields. At the very least, keep the Terran bio out of range of the Colossus while move the anti air units for protection.
3. Dealing with Vikings:
a. Stargate Tech: A pro told me to use Phoenixes as you can use them to micro them around the vikings. I tend to go for Void-Rays as I'm a player who just loves colossus + voidray + stalker combo off 3 base.
b. High Templar. While HTs may not deal with vikings directly, they can certainly demolish the MMM ball in seconds.

Better yet, do you have a replay to share so we can see this from your prospective?

scogoth

zlatko said:
Teams and free for all is a joke. That is all.

A joke of awesome fun times. Nothing like rolling someone with battlecruiser only to be rolled by someone with battlecruisers....

Also member time, now time for the tag.

ultron87

claviertekky said:
3. Dealing with Vikings:
a. Stargate Tech: A pro told me to use Phoenixes as you can use them to micro them around the vikings. I tend to go for Void-Rays as I'm a player who just loves colossus + voidray + stalker combo off 3 base.
b. High Templar. While HTs may not deal with vikings directly, they can certainly demolish the MMM ball in seconds.

In addition to the above:

Psystorm works just as well on clumped Vikings as it does on everything else. So no reason to discount that. Just gotta aim it right. Turn on the "Flying unit helper" (or whatever it is called) that shows exactly what space flyers are over. Makes aiming the storms way easier.

And blink stalkers are also great at dealing with Vikings. If they're using the Viking to try and get an angle on the colossi you can surprise them by blinking right under them and doing a ton of damage.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
zlatko said:
Teams and free for all is a joke. That is all.

Pretty much. That's why I play them almost exclusively. I get cheesed occasionally, but I just shrug that shit off and counter it hardcore most of the time.

1v1 + hardcore laddering/constant raging is the real joke.

evangd007 said:
I wish I could do GAF nights. Unfortunately I have a raid to attend in that other Blizzard game on Wednesdays.

Same here. Wish I didn't go though. I lagged like fuck for the last 30 minutes, and caused the raid to fail.

Jeff-DSA

Well, here's my hope for the next balance change...though I'm probably being somewhat shortsighted with some of these suggestions.

- Delay warp gate research. If Terran can't get stim up as quickly, and Zerg can't wall off, warp gate should get delayed because 4gate is ruining early games with a Protoss matchup. They need to delay that stupid warp gate by at least 1 minute. It's too strong in the early game. It's not fair that one race can be spawning reinforcements right outside your door so early in the game.

- Make Zerg better equipped to handle air harass. Whether it's making queens do more damage to banshees/voids/phoenix or making it so you can't lift queens, they need to do something. I almost feel bad for Zerg's weakness in with anti-air. Stalkers and Marines allow T and P to hold off air aggression much easier.

- Get rid of the magic box on Thors. I've always thought that it was BS.

- Make it so upgraded Banelings aren't faster than stimmed Marines. Equal speed would be better.

Spl1nter said:
Is your guild now ignoring you? Have you been ostracized?

Nah, but tensions built and a healer wound up quitting the guild; at 12:00am he said he was going to bed, I said I was lagging too much to continue, then the raid leader was like "you're seriously leaving before I tell you the raid is over? Seriously?" So the guy left the guild lmao

Horrible night. I dunno why I lag in WoW but have no problems with SC2, which I play on all ultra settings.

Spl1nter

Jeff-DSA said:
Well, here's my hope for the next balance change...though I'm probably being somewhat shortsighted with some of these suggestions.

- Delay warp gate research. If Terran can't get stim up as quickly, and Zerg can't wall off, warp gate should get delayed because 4gate is ruining early games with a Protoss matchup. They need to delay that stupid warp gate by at least 1 minute. It's too strong in the early game. It's not fair that one race can be spawning reinforcements right outside your door so early in the game.

- Make Zerg better equipped to handle air harass. Whether it's making queens do more damage to banshees/voids/phoenix or making it so you can't lift queens, they need to do something. I almost feel bad for Zerg's weakness in with anti-air. Stalkers and Marines allow T and P to hold off air aggression much easier.

- Make it so upgraded Banelings aren't faster than stimmed Marines. Equal speed would be better.

- Zerg AA is fine against early game harass.

- Magic box can be done with all units. Its perfectly fine, Mutas wouldn't be usable in tvz if that were the case

- Marines are faster than Banelings off creep

PhoenixDark said:
Nah, but tensions built and a healer wound up quitting the guild; at 12:00am he said he was going to bed, I said I was lagging too much to continue, then the raid leader was like "you're seriously leaving before I tell you the raid is over? Seriously?" So the guy left the guild lmao.

lol WoW. Its funny yet sad at the same time.

ultron87

PhoenixDark said:
Nah, but tensions built and a healer wound up quitting the guild; at 12:00am he said he was going to bed, I said I was lagging too much to continue, then the raid leader was like "you're seriously leaving before I tell you the raid is over? Seriously?" So the guy left the guild lmao

Horrible night. I dunno why I lag in WoW but have no problems with SC2, which I play on all ultra settings.

Oh WoW raids. I both miss them and never want to be involved in such a thing again.

mcrae

Jeff-DSA said:

- wait, you want to remove the ability for mutas to magic box? or you want to remove thor splash? both ideas suck. though im hoping i just dont understand what you're talking about

-
rines 2.25+1.12(stim)=3.37
banelines 2.5+0.75(on creep)=3.25
banelings(upped) 2.95+0.88 = 3.83

just dont fight them on creep

zlatko

Banned
Does anyone have a link to an armory upgrade guide for beating the game from start to finish on Brutal? I'm going back through all of it, but I can't find on google what the right upgrads to do in what order as you go through are.

Ark

What's a good 1v1 Protoss general build? Ended up in Bronze after winning my placement match. I've been going:

9 pylon
12 gate
13 gate
14 gas
16 pylon

And going from there depending on what I scout.

ultron87

Ark said:
What's a good 1v1 Protoss general build? Ended up in Bronze after winning my placement match. I've been going:

9 pylon
12 gate
13 gate
14 gas
16 pylon

Two quick gates like that aren't needed unless the other player is doing something non-standard. And it hurts your economy since you'll be cutting probes to get them out that fast.

I generally go 13 gate, 14 or 15 gas, 16 pylon, Cyber Core when the gate finishes. Chrono probes when the first pylon finishes and the next time it is available.

Edit: Changed when to chrono, since I said that wrong.

Spl1nter

Kawl_USC said:
Same thought here. GAF Hive mind is scary.

Was the second that the girls had sharp knees?

ultron87 said:
Two quick gates like that aren't needed unless the other player is doing something non-standard. And it hurts your economy since you'll be cutting probes to get them out that fast.

Clearly you dont know how long it takes for a bronze player to get to 13 supply. You save up quite a bit of money in that time.

clav

Ark said:

9 pylon
12 gate
13 gate
14 gas
16 pylon

I scout after 9 pylon. That way you can see if a double gateway rush is incoming.

Make the scouting probe do laps around the mineral line and Nexus. Note I did not say through the mineral line. If you're super lazy, you can patrol shift those actions. Just make sure you're circling around the minerals as some players like to take all their workers to kill your scouting probe. A probe can keep the zealots and other probes chasing after it forever. Get out of the base when the stalker arrives.

While scouting, be sure to check in your base for any cannon or pylon cheese with another worker while the first gateway/cyber is warping.

ultron87 said:

I generally go 13 gate, 14 or 15 gas, 16 pylon, Cyber Core when the gate finishes. Chrono probes on 10 and 12.

I agree with this.

twofold

ultron87 said:

I generally go 13 gate, 14 or 15 gas, 16 pylon, Cyber Core when the gate finishes. Chrono probes on 10 and 12.

I don't think you can go 13 gate while doing chrono on 10 and 12 without cutting probes.

ultron87

twofold said:
I don't think you can go 13 gate while doing chrono on 10 and 12 without cutting probes.

I guess I actually meant chrono on the probe that starts when your pylon finishes, so that'd actually be on 11.

Ark

ultron87 said:

I generally go 13 gate, 14 or 15 gas, 16 pylon, Cyber Core when the gate finishes. Chrono probes when the first pylon finishes and the next time it is available.

Edit: Changed when to chrono, since I said that wrong.

This is basically how I start every game I decide not to open with a 2-gate. I just got used to the 2-gate from 4v4, gotta get ready to defend those 6 pools.

Spl1nter said:
Clearly you dont know how long it takes for a bronze player to get to 13 supply. You save up quite a bit of money in that time.

Not really sure what you're trying to say here, but I get to 13 supply just fine ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom