• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spl1nter

zlatko said:
Okay that's what I thought. Is around 10 minutes the common time to grab a third ? Is around 90 drones when you want to stop making them ?

There is no exact timing for when to take a third on zvz. The decision is based on the information you have from your opponent and your own unit composition/risk you want to take, if you feel safe to take a third etc.... I would say 10 minutes seems extremely early in zvz. 90 drones is way to many. Never make more than 75.

ultron87

zlatko said:
Okay that's what I thought. Is around 10 minutes the common time to grab a third ? Is around 90 drones when you want to stop making them ?

Unless you're mining from four bases simultaneously 90 is way too many workers. And even then you'd be better off having that supply in your army instead.

The only reason to ever go above 2 workers per mineral patch on a base is so that you have workers to transfer to a new base.

zlatko

Banned
Spl1nter said:
There is no exact timing for when to take a third on zvz. The decision is based on the information you have from your opponent and your own unit composition/risk you want to take, if you feel safe to take a third etc.... I would say 10 minutes seems extremely early in zvz. 90 drones is way to many. Never make more than 75.

Oops I didn't mean in ZvZ. :p

I meant in ZvT or ZvP. I think I heard on Destiny's stream that around the 10 minute mark is usually when you want to look at securing your third.

As for the 90 drones I was meaning total in a game ever. I'm usually around 40ish drones at 10 minutes and it's evenly split between the main and natural.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Awesome Animals said:
I was reading the TL wiki and saw that when you scout and see them making an expo, you need to attack or expand yourself. Is this a good rule of thumb?
You dont want to be down on expos so generally ya but always exceptions though.

When you expo, you are generally weak for a bit since its a money sink.

ultron87

Awesome Animals said:
I was reading the TL wiki and saw that when you scout and see them making an expo, you need to attack or expand yourself. Is this a good rule of thumb?

In general yes.

When they expand they've dumped a lot of minerals into the expansion for no return until the expansion finishes and they start mining from it. If you haven't expanded you should either have a bigger army or better tech at this point. So an attack could work out well for you at this point.

And if you don't attack, you should expand, otherwise you'll quickly get behind in economy. And getting behind in economy means you're going to lose.

Against Zerg this isn't as hard and fast of a rule, as they generally need to have one more base than the other races to compete. So if you see a Zerg take a hatchery on 15 you don't necessarily need to expand yourself or go all out and attack them. (Though putting on a bit of pressure wouldn't be a bad choice either).

Spl1nter

zlatko said:
Oops I didn't mean in ZvZ. :p

I meant in ZvT or ZvP. I think I heard on Destiny's stream that around the 10 minute mark is usually when you want to look at securing your third.

As for the 90 drones I was meaning total in a game ever. I'm usually around 40ish drones at 10 minutes and it's evenly split between the main and natural.

yes the 10 minute mark seems perfectly fine for an expo. 90 drones in total over the entire game seems slightly high but not to far off.

zlatko

Banned
Spl1nter said:
yes the 10 minute mark seems perfectly fine for an expo. 90 drones in total over the entire game seems slightly high but not to far off.

Another question oh wise Splinter. I've had around 3 games against Terran where I feel the tide of the game switched to his favor thanks to viking harassment of my overlords.

Usually, it'll be 2 vikings coming to my main/natural to destroy overlords. Now my queens tend to either take 1 or 2 of them out, and when he pulls out, I'll rebuild the ones lost, and take the ones I have to move them near a spore crawler. My problem is the spore doesn't shoot in a good enough area to stop the harassment entirely.

What should I be doing with overlords to avoid this in the future?

If your still in bronze / silver aren't getting close to advancing and have over 100 games under your belt you are not watching or learning from your replays correctly. Once you start understanding what combination of factors led to you losing any given match you can address those problems and almost immediately you should start noticing a huge difference.

Spl1nter said:
queens should be good enough to handle any vikings until you get muta. You should have 2-3 queens anyway

If he is using a early viking rush he can destroy all your scout overlords before your queens do a thing(I love punishing Z players that unabashedly throw overlords all over the whole damn map with no impudence) plus he is mostly likely pushing Z to build air defenses so he can mop up with a superior ground force. At least that's what I always do with Viking harassment.

Corran Horn said:
Downgraded my nvidia drivers. Lets see how this works. So far so good.

You running in SLI?
The update before 3.1 I had to disable my SLI drivers for a couple weeks.

Corran Horn

BruceLeeRoy said:
You running in SLI?
The update before 3.1 I had to disable my SLI drivers for a couple weeks.
Nope just single 460 gtx

I also did a SC2 repair thing. Not sure which but so far SC2 is running back to normal again.

Corran Horn said:
Nope just single 460 gtx

I also did a SC2 repair thing. Not sure which but so far SC2 is running back to normal again.

I have 2 460 FTW cards and for some reason the last update janked the SLI. I should try the SC2 repair.

Corran Horn

BruceLeeRoy said:
I have 2 460 FTW cards and for some reason the last update janked the SLI. I should try the SC2 repair.
what drivers are you on?

I read somewhere to downgrade to 260.99 so thats what I went to.

Pandaman said:
Qv2VN.png

Due to the precieved casualization of nontourney gaf events, we the lonely souls of the 1v1 community hereby declare the first unofficial neogaf KOTH will begin one week from today!

the rules:

- players will be assigned a random number and play sequentially.
- if a player is not present, he or she is moved to the back of the line.
- players who are twice absent for their slotted round are disqualified.
- players will be scored by number of eliminations so if you're first don't think you're doomed.
- the last player standing will start the next weeks KOTH.
- all games will be 1v1.
- the player who GG's first is the loser.
- observers must be queued for a match that night
- challenger picks the map.
- Challengers may not pick a map that has been chosen in the last 3 games.

approved maps:
MLG shattered temple
MLG metalopolis
Xel naga caverns
Shakuras plateua [1.3]
Taldarim Alter
GSL crevasse
GSL terminus RE
Typhon peaks
GSL crossfire SE
Testbug

what we are looking for:
people who want to be the boss nerds. [players]
people who can stream if possible.

Because mrmister shouldnt have to do all the work.

Tomorrow!

Ultrabum

Hey guys, I was just wondering, does point defense drone work against broodlords? Does it just stop the regular attack dmg, but leave the broodling?

Thanks

Striek

Ultrabum said:
Hey guys, I was just wondering, does point defense drone work against broodlords? Does it just stop the regular attack dmg, but leave the broodling?

Thanks
In the unit tester it seems to kill the broodling but not stop the regular attack, which is wierd.

Ultrabum

Striek said:
In the unit tester it seems to kill the broodling but not stop the regular attack, which is wierd.

Yes, after further testing I think your right. Wtf this makes no sense at all, shouldn't it leave the broodlord and stop the regular attack? This is just really counter-intuitive.

0atiA.jpg

Tntnnbltn

From the latest NASL newsletter...

It's almost here!

Our website has launched and we are days away from the first match. Come check out your favorite players' bios and see who they will face over the next nine weeks.

Here is the full list of players for the season and their division placements.

[Division list]

As you can see, we've assembled an all-star lineup with a few fan favorites as well! You will be able to watch amazing games five days a week (from Tuesday to Saturday) starting at 6pm PST every night. We are also excited to announce our lineup of casters. We have brought together the greatest voices of the game; we don't think they will disappoint.

In addition to Geoff "iNcontroL" Robinson and Andre "Gretorp" Hengchua, we will also feature guest appearances by Tastosis: The casting Archon, Khaldor, Totalbiscuit, HDStarcraft, Husky, and Diggity.

Here are some of the perks offered to our pay per view subscribers:
1080p live stream access
24/7 Video On Demand access to all content (including weekly shows, analysis, highlights, and matches)
Zero commercial interruption
In addition, we would like to offer you a $5 pre-season discount on the season pass. Just enter the coupon code "presalenasl" on the payment page to receive this discount.

Thank you for your interest in the North American Star League. We're excited to get this league started and we hope you enjoy the ride.

Sincerely,

North American Star League

Hazaro said:
I said wow.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How has the scrap station changed (the ramp)?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Saw someone mentioned on TL that the European WC3 players are doing much better than the old BW 'pros'. Happy (currently #2 in World) has like a 95% win rate and is supposed to be pretty good for having only recently switched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom