• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadman

Did my placement. He 4 gated and i crushed it. Then he 4 gated again and i crushed that. Then he warp prism dropped and i crushed that. He didnt gg :(

In gold now yay.

Cheeto

joelseph said:
Came back to season 2 after a super long break and I am getting destroyed. Early season 1 I was Gold/Plat and now I am getting rolled in bronze with all-in one base bullshit. :sadface:
What race do you play?

zlatko said:
That is 99% of games in Bronze silver. Just assume they are going to do some 1 base all in variant, and assume it's the most common build. If it's a Z prepare for a 6 pool, a baneling bust, or a roach rush. If it's a Terran expect 1-1-1 to get fast banshees or expect 3 rax into marines and marauders. Protoss it's 4 gates, proxy 2 gate zealot rush, and cannon rushes.

Find yourself a standard build that lets you get enough units to hold off the all in, an get you ahead, and you're good. Make sure to scout as much as you can, and secure those watch towers.

That's the best advice I can give.

Yup. If you can hold off the initial rush, you're usually dandy. As Toss, I find it's a good idea to grab three or four early sentries to block your ramp off and allow a couple of enemy units to come up at a time, picking them off easily. In the meantime, mass yourself an army and push out for your expansion. Nine times out of ten, the opposition doesn't even expand and you can basically block them in their own base until you reach a critical mass.

It's amazing how many people don't expand in Bronze. Just always expect an early mass of units and learn to deal with it.

YakiSOBA

SteveWinwood said:
I'm glad the NASL got someone that can make something they put out not look like shit anymore. It was hard to take them seriously from that terrible tournament bracket picture.

Serious advice:

Cheese your way into platinum and then start practicing your game then, no joke.

I tried to play legit when I was in silver 1v1, but I was getting cheesed honestly every game. The only thing you will learn in the lower leagues is how to watch out for cheese because it will have happened to you so many times...

...so I started to marine/scv all-in, won something like 26 of 30 and got bumped to gold and then platinum. Once I got into high platinum (top 8) I started to play with actual builds, aimed for longer macro games, etc...

btw now I am in diamond league.

Cheeto

YakiSOBA said:
Serious advice:

Cheese your way into platinum and then start practicing your game then, no joke.

I tried to play legit when I was in silver 1v1, but I was getting cheesed honestly every game. The only thing you will learn in the lower leagues is how to watch out for cheese because it will have happened to you so many times...

...so I started to marine/scv all-in, won something like 26 of 30 and got bumped to gold and then platinum. Once I got into high platinum (top 8) I started to play with actual builds, aimed for longer macro games, etc...

That's not really true... your mechanics probably just got better.

I was plat in beta phase 1, and didn't have time to play at all in phase 2. When retail came out I switched from toss to zerg and placed in silver league. I went 15 hatch in every game through silver and gold and had no problems with stopping the 1 base all-ins. I had to learn zerg mechanics along the way.

zlatko

Banned
YakiSOBA said:
Serious advice:

<_< I don't know man. I'm in Silver and I know I'm only that good. I suppose I could do what you're suggesting, but I play Zerg now. Plus, the new maps make it a lot harder to cheese your way to platinum or higher.

I'd like to think just going for standard builds to expand off of, will eventually get me to gold and I'll have earned it as well as becoming a better gamer. No sense in bumping myself to platinum only to realize oh hey I AM actually still a silver league player because of my macro,decision making, builds, etc.

YakiSOBA said:
Serious advice:

I'm going to assume you didn't mean to quote me.

YakiSOBA

zlatko said:
<_< I don't know man. I'm in Silver and I know I'm only that good. I suppose I could do what you're suggesting, but I play Zerg now. Plus, the new maps make it a lot harder to cheese your way to platinum or higher.

I'd like to think just going for standard builds to expand off of, will eventually get me to gold and I'll have earned it as well as becoming a better gamer. No sense in bumping myself to platinum only to realize oh hey I AM actually still a silver league player because of my macro,decision making, builds, etc.

hmm that's true, for me when I got to plat and started playing "normal" I was still winning, so I guess it depends on the player. I just don't have to deal with cheese as much anymore, thank god :D

ksan

YakiSOBA said:
Serious advice:

I disagree, this is some of the most awful advice you could ever give.

Jeff-DSA

I'm still stuck in the Silver cellar. I win pretty much every game that goes to a macro game, only losing to cheese builds or if something really odd happens along the way. I play my custom games with Platinum/Diamond players, and I it's so much more fun when it's not constant all in builds. I'll be happy once I can get out of Silver, because I'm starting to tire of having to hold off 9pools, 4gates, and 3rax rushes every game.

In 2v2s, my friend and I are really starting to roll. We've won 8 or our last 10, only losing those two due to Zerg/Protoss cheese rushes where they use the overlord to scout the high ground for warp ins while 6pooling.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Jeff-DSA said:
I'm still stuck in the Silver cellar. I win pretty much every game that goes to a macro game, only losing to cheese builds or if something really odd happens along the way. I play my custom games with Platinum/Diamond players, and I it's so much more fun when it's not constant all in builds. I'll be happy once I can get out of Silver, because I'm starting to tire of having to hold off 9pools, 4gates, and 3rax rushes every game.
:lol, nothing changes.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ShallNoiseUpon said:
Who will be the bossest of all the nerds?
we intend to find out!

lets get some good old fashioned ego in here. :p no more of this namby pambly 'everyones a winner' casual stuff.

twofold

SteveWinwood said:
I'm glad the NASL got someone that can make something they put out not look like shit anymore. It was hard to take them seriously from that terrible tournament bracket picture.

You think that looks good? I completely disagree. Whoever is doing the design work for the nasl is doing a terrible, terrible job.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ultron87 said:
According to the rules, probably not the last challenger of the day.

Should be fun though. Dunno if I'll be able to make it though.
nope, but he gets the best shot in the next week. :p

ultron87 said:
According to the rules, probably not the last challenger of the day.

Should be fun though. Dunno if I'll be able to make it though.

I think that most KotHs are scored by total wins.

Panda - is it possible for someone who loses/gets knocked off to get to the end of the line and re-challange the current king (especially if it goes quickly)?

Edit: Question 2 - I assume unlike GAFnight stuff people are going to be put in different channels on Mumble and such?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ShallNoiseUpon said:
I think that most KotHs are scored by total wins.

Panda - is it possible for someone who loses/gets knocked off to get to the end of the line and re-challange the current king (especially if it goes quickly)?
yep. its a when its done event. we based it on points rtaher than last man standing so that current kings can opt out and still 'win' if you spent 2 hours raping everything and then had to go.

Edit: Question 2 - I assume unlike GAFnight stuff people are going to be put in different channels on Mumble and such?
yes, kings and challengers cannot be in the general mumble channel while playing.

scogoth

Pandaman said:
Find opponent… Eradicate… Learn… Evolve...

PANDAMAN I CHOOSE YOU! GO!

Pandaman is tired, Pandaman falls asleep!

Pandaman is asleep, Pandaman is unable to attack!

Sp1nter uses STIMPACK!

Its super-effective!

Pandaman faints.

Spl1nter gained 10473 exp.

What !? Spl1inter is evolving....

Spl1nter turned into Grandmaster league!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
scogoth said:
PANDAMAN I CHOOSE YOU! GO!

Pandaman is tired, Pandaman falls asleep!

Pandaman is asleep, Pandaman is unable to attack!

Sp1nter uses STIMPACK!

Its super-effective!

Pandaman faints.

Spl1nter gained 10473 exp.

What !? Spl1inter is evolving....

Spl1nter turned into Grandmaster league!
RsepH.gif

clav

YakiSOBA said:
Serious advice:

That is some terrible advice. It might work for you, but it doesn't work for everyone.

Learn to deal with cheese with normal builds as cheese still happens in the higher ups as well.

scogoth

claviertekky said:
That is some terrible advice. It might work for you, but it doesn't work for everyone.

Learn to deal with cheese with normal builds as cheese still happens in the higher ups as well.

Better still, sit in silver league and play proper and laugh at how much you win because the cheese is so bad because they never learned to play a real game. Seriously defending cheese in bronze and silver isn't that difficult when you know how. Hop on mumble and ask one of the higher ups to teach you how to defend cheese and transition into a proper build.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
scogoth said:
lol, loving that pic.

Sorry not my fault stim op even when its delayed. Just be glad it wasn't a blue flame hellion drop. panda still no.1 in my <3
splinter did just blue flame me

or something.
im not sure, i got a drones under attack message, looked and nothign was there.
got a second message, looked again and all my drones were burning and the hellions were already gone.

wtf.

http://www.mediafire.com/?54u9u2vchnzcnir

also, terrans of the world, give tips to help splinter through a slump. :(

zlatko said:
That is 99% of games in Bronze silver. Just assume they are going to do some 1 base all in variant, and assume it's the most common build. If it's a Z prepare for a 6 pool, a baneling bust, or a roach rush. If it's a Terran expect 1-1-1 to get fast banshees or expect 3 rax into marines and marauders. Protoss it's 4 gates, proxy 2 gate zealot rush, and cannon rushes.

Find yourself a standard build that lets you get enough units to hold off the all in, an get you ahead, and you're good. Make sure to scout as much as you can, and secure those watch towers.

That's the best advice I can give.

H-H-How'd you know my build :)

Pandaman said:
just a reminder that this saturday is the neogaf 1v1 king of the hill event!

hope to see you all there.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26874966&postcount=12281

Am I allowed to spectate if I don't want to participate in the event? I would like to watch, but me playing a game would be a waste of everyone's time and just pad my opponent's win column (although, I will play a game if that is what it takes for me to spectate a bit).

::EDIT::
Also, The more Pony.gifs I see, The funnier they get. While I was never against the trend from the start, it is becoming more likable. Especially watching some get frustrated.

twofold said:
You think that looks good? I completely disagree. Whoever is doing the design work for the nasl is doing a terrible, terrible job.
graphLarge-1024x531.jpg

Compared to that, yes, I think it looks absolutely amazing. It is the mona lisa compared to this turd. Does it look good by itself? Hell no. But relatively...

I work at Target, I enjoy watching people go through the MLP stuff.

Working on figuring out a tech build for Terran. Held off a 4 gate with Thors and siege tanks then rushed him with a small army of marines and marauders. He never even bothered to expand.

scogoth

Pandaman said:
also, terrans of the world, give tips to help splinter through a slump. :(
<--If you are sad.

You beat panda in a pokemon battle! Thats got to count for something!

Not to mention I can never beat you.

joelseph

Cheeto said:
What race do you play?

I played Protoss in beta and switched to Zerg for the first part of season 1 until I took my long break. My problem is I watch games religiously so macro play is hardwired into my brain while the rest of bronze/silver is 4gate, 6pool, 3raxs marine.

Jeff-DSA

joelseph said:
I played Protoss in beta and switched to Zerg for the first part of season 1 until I took my long break. My problem is I watch games religiously so macro play is hardwired into my brain while the rest of bronze/silver is 4gate, 6pool, 3raxs marine.

Yep, I need to watch less or at least wait to employ those builds until I'm out of cheese town.

Jinro is struggling with Protoss on his stream.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
It's amazing how much streaming people are doing these days, says it all when Ret only has 230 people watching him play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom