• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
There's nothing wrong with having leagues that are locked to a region/country, but the NASL isn't one of them, I guess people saw the NA in the name and assume (or hoped) it would be.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Slavik81 said:
Many national professional sport leagues outside the US impose limits on foreign players. The reason being that without such limits, the entire league would be dominated by those players. Baseball in Japan is one such example.

While I don't think it should be North American-only, I think there should be a significant number of slots guaranteed to go to North Americans. There'd be little point in a NASL if most or all the players in it were Korean. Unlike a physical sport, there's little value in seeing it live, so just the physical location of the event is not particularly important.
I dunno I think a limit is just idiotic for a league to grow when most of the big names are from outside of the US.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Corran Horn said:
I dunno I think a limit is just idiotic for a league to grow when most of the big names are from outside of the US.
its impossible for more big names to form inside north america when all the incentive is being absorbed by people outside of north america.
impossible.

Corran Horn

Pandaman said:
its impossible for more big names to form inside north america when all the incentive is being absorbed by people outside of north america.
impossible.
NASL doesnt have to be it. They want to be a BIG league with that prize pool they are offering.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Corran Horn said:
NASL doesnt have to be it. They want to be a BIG league with that prize pool they are offering.
someone has to be it and NASL got alot of its early cred pretending to be it.

i also refuse to grant you the assumption that the money invested requires an international playerbase. there is a market for regional tournaments and i have no idea why you'd think otherwise.

people watched dreamhack despite it being choc full of eu lowbies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Corran Horn said:
GL with having a tournament that most people wont be willing to pay for then and then having the investors pull out.
the largest market in starcraft 2 watches lowbies do stupid stuff whilst being casted by husky of all people.

but yeah, there wont be a market without koreans lolololol.

you have to realize that investors do not look to please people like us who know or care about the state of starcraft across multiple regions and thats because there aren't that many of us. If you cant see the marketing appeal of a league of easily identifiable people who can be related to by the primary audience [hey, that guy from my city/state/province], then i dont know what to say to you.

Corran Horn

The North American Star League is the biggest Starcraft II tournament outside of Korea. It features 50 of the world's best players competing for over $100,000 in prizes.
NASL isnt what you want then. Stop trying to wish it was. Its a world tournament.

Blame NASL for having a stupid invite system, but not for having people outside of NA play in it.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Corran Horn said:
NASL isnt what you want then. Stop trying to wish it was. Its a world tournament.

Blame NASL for having a stupid invite system, but not for having people outside of NA play in it.
and earlier i quoted a part highlighting a focus on expanding the north American scene, so clearly nasl isn't what you wish it was either.

so we gonna talk or did you want us to quote sentences we can pilfer off teamliquid/nasl.tv for the next few posts?

Haunted

V_Arnold said:
We could really nitpick this one also, instead of admitting that in addition to any international league/cup, there IS a huge benefit of having a national 1v1 league also.
I agree and never said otherwise, I just picked on your bad comparison. :p

Luckily, this is the case in the NA scene. There are NA only/heavy tournaments - both on the minor and the major side, as I said before. Just saw this. B10k prize money, only NA people can enter, but everyone from Bronze to Masters can compete for 32 spots. That's exactly what people are calling for. There it is.

What bugs is me is people clamouring for every NA tournament (i.e. NASL) being like that. That'd be terrible.

But even then, the only ones who can decide that are the guys behind the NASL. And they've said they want to be big. They want to be the western equivalent to the GSL. They want to become the biggest event in SC2. In NA. In the Western scene. And you can't be that with players from the weakest server only. You need the big names from the EU for legitimacy. And some Koreans for legitimacy + us vs them storyline drama.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hazaro said:
Why aren't you in Diamond Yoshi?
I don't get it :/? I am

edit: I used waaaaay cheesier tactics than that though

Haunted

Pandaman said:
people watched dreamhack despite it being choc full of eu lowbies.
Think things through before making the argument for him.

Did people watch Dreamhack because of the Scandinavian Lowbies? Or did they watch because of the internationally stacked pro lineup? C'mon man.

Pandaman said:
someone has to be it and NASL got alot of its early cred pretending to be it.
Pretending. smh

Don't blame your misunderstanding on the NASL. "The best players the world has ever seen." Smack dab in the middle of the very first trailer.

Pandaman said:
and earlier i quoted a part highlighting a focus on expanding the north American scene, so clearly nasl isn't what you wish it was either.
Having one of the biggest and best league in the world located in NA is helping the NA scene grow. Broadcasting quality games with professional production 5 days a week at NA prime time is helping the NA scene grow. Giving every single NA player a meaningful goal to work towards to with a possible qualification for the 100k through two open 1024-man tournaments every season is helping the NA scene grow, whether you like it or not.

There are plenty of NA only tournaments, NASL wants to be bigger than that. Stop wishing it'd be like the others.

edit: fuck, you guys can't just agree to stop arguing while I was busy watching Kas spank Nada. :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hazaro said:
I am disappointed.
WOW! Why did he quit like that? And why did he keep pumping out dem marinez?!

Personally I think inviting 10 Koreans does grow NA esports by ensuring the best possible competition is in attendance. TSL and the GSL world championships have shown foreigners are more than capable of competing with foreigners, and the NASL will ensure there's more competition between them monthly instead of once a year. I like the idea of MC training on the US ladder.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yoshichan said:
WOW! Why did he quit like that? And why did he keep pumping out dem marinez?!
Because he had 14 scvs?

He wasn't going to break me and I had a ton more workers, tech, and a defensive position.

zlatko

Banned
Hazaro said:
Because he had 14 scvs?

He wasn't going to break me and I had a ton more workers, tech, and a defensive position.

<_< Is this just a lulz game in terms of how you play? I mean I bust my ass in silver as Zerg on macro, micro, scouting, etc etc. You make it look like you can herp derp your way up ladder as T without much problems lol. :p

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
You could do some allins with Zerg and rank up pretty easily. :lol at this replay, it's pre-patch but still pretty hilarious (watch at x8)

Yoshichan

Fuck that, I worked my ass off to get to silver, gold, platinum and diamond.

Hazaro's lucky as usual

lol nothing funnier than Protoss raging at you after losing to ling/bling/muta.

"look at the chart you fucking noob, you should have lost 10min ago" lol lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
scogoth said:
Uh YEAH! Cheese into 3v3 diamond.

6 rax marine + 4 gate dt + carriers/voids = ez win
As far as 3v3 cheese goes it works pretty well in synergy.
1v1 Diamond, 2v2 Plat, 3v3 Diamond, 4v4 Plat
Woooo
zlatko said:
<_< Is this just a lulz game in terms of how you play? I mean I bust my ass in silver as Zerg on macro, micro, scouting, etc etc. You make it look like you can herp derp your way up ladder as T without much problems lol. :p
Yoshichan said:
Fuck that, I worked my ass off to get to silver, gold, platinum and diamond.

Hazaro's lucky as usual
I've always placed in the top league (Plat or Diamond) so I wouldn't know how it is to rank up.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
PhoenixDark said:
lol nothing funnier than Protoss raging at you after losing to ling/bling/muta.

"look at the chart you fucking noob, you should have lost 10min ago" lol lol
gaf requires replays!

scogoth

Toss is broken.

gkll5h

8tl3hj

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
PhoenixDark said:
The rage occurs after he gg's/score screen. I'll try to upload it. Hell tbh I didn't think I played super well, and he didn't have enough Colosus imo
yea but im trying to collect ling/bane reps to see how people approach it on both sides. :p

Striek

Slavik81 said:
While I don't think it should be North American-only, I think there should be a significant number of slots guaranteed to go to North Americans. There'd be little point in a NASL if most or all the players in it were Korean. Unlike a physical sport, there's little value in seeing it live, so just the physical location of the event is not particularly important.
The phsyical appearance of the players doesn't mean much in an e-sport either. When there is soooo much content out there, and especially now major events are conflicting with one another, people will gravitate to those that show the best level of play and production.

I've already started skipping through the TSL VODs because I just don't care that much about the event. With NASL I'll probably just watch whatever I can live and just read the results of the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom