• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
WedgeX said:
Dem's fightin words.
O4pha.gif

if thats how you want this to go down.

scogoth

MrMister said:
No, let them keep going, eventually they'll be banned for being a meme. :p

NeoGAF night is a meme, maybe we can NeoGAF Pony night.

And NO mafia..... CoT, Star battle, Nuke Arcade, 7v7s all fine

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Xj2mb.png

glorious.

MrMister said:
No, let them keep going, eventually they'll be banned for being a meme. :p
oh look, another NEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHsayer.

ponygaf wont take this abuse forever, then that group battle tourney comes up you might find yourselfs raising our flag high.

WedgeX

Banned
Pandaman said:
oh look, another NEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHsayer.

ponygaf wont take this abuse forever, then that group battle tourney comes up you might find yourselfs raising our flag high.

Oh how I misses the :lol's at times like these.

GooeyHeat

Alright, finally jumping into the thread, so I can learn to play gooder. Bronze Zerg here, with a few questions:
1: How does one effectively scout?
2: How do I keep myself alive early while still having enough economic power late game to do damage?
3: How can I train myself to properly use hotkeys and shortcuts?
4: Should I just hide Overlords, or attempt to scout with them?

V_Arnold

MrMister said:
Please see my above post about delicious QoB fan tears.

About time Kerrigan returned to the human race, with her still what seems apparent super powers she will prove a damn mighty foe for the Hybrid if she is destined to stop them.

I support this fully, I thought the campaign was all sorts of awesome, if predictable. If that is a problem, well, then I should have stopped reading books and watching tv shows YEARS ago.

scogoth

GooeyHeat said:
Alright, finally jumping into the thread, so I can learn to play gooder. Bronze Zerg here, with a few questions:
2: How do I keep myself alive early while still having enough economic power late game to do damage?

Hop on sc2 grab a high level gaf zerg to teach you. Panda will do it in return for watching anime and splinter will do it for free.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
scogoth said:
Hop on sc2 grab a high level gaf zerg to teach you. Panda will do it in return for watching anime
or my little pony.

i also usually do it for free because i understand not everyone will share my enthusiasm for such things

so just log on to the neogaf channel and if possible mumble aswell and myself or splinter or one of our other helpful players will go over some games with you. ^^

DaFish

GooeyHeat said:

1: A Few lings in the beginning and poking up ramps (also a overlord scout at the 6 min mark sounds good too)

2: The early ling scouting will help with this (don't forget to keep Xel'naga towers as long as you can) leave a ling near the base of your enemy to know when they push. Use spines and queens for D and DO NOT get supply blocked (god damn I hate that shit)

3: Use the "Grid" layout in the settings (You will see what I mean when you try this)

4: You can "ledge" them, meaning leaving overlords near the edge of mineral lines of expo's and other key areas

V_Arnold

GooeyHeat said:

Hey, welcome to the Swarm :) Platinum Zerg here, was diamond in S1, so take this with a grain of salt, but it might be helpful.

1: Well, there are several different ways to scout.

My tips (although I have yet to scout near perfectly, let alone "well", but the idea works.
a) Send out the first overlord to where they cant reach it with any non-flying unit.
a1) Against Zerg, you can send out more overlords, one to their ramp (just watch for it later). You can also have an overlord sitting in his base UNTIL the Spawning Pool finishes. Then, move out as Queen will come.
a2) Against Protoss, you can send it near their natural expansion - you will be able to see if he starts mining or not
a3) Against Terran, you should only send overlord VERY early, then when speed upgrade is finished - marines shoot it down fast so you cant really afford to have overlords in the middle of the map, undefended
b) Send out your drone at 9-14 food depending on map size (close positions, small map: earlier), make sure you stay inside his base (make him some shift+click positions) until his first shooting unit catches it.
c) There is a timing involved when you need to move that "parked outside" overlord through his base, to see what buildings he is making. This can be tricky, if he wants to hide buildings, your overlord most likely wont catch it. But, for example, if at 4:40 mark, or a bit sooner, you start to move your overlord into a Protoss base, and you enter near the ramp, if you see 4 gates, you can be sure you wont be seeing anything else - because he could not realistically afford more at that point. Same with terran, if you see few barracks, then he IS teching - so you should expect drops/banshee/tanks.
d) Then, you are in the dark until Lair is finished. Then, either research overlord speed OR (not mutually exclusive or) create an overseer, and fly in. You will be able to see everything, or almost everything. It is wise to make your overseer from the nearest overlord, if not the parked cause that is already dead.
e) Have a single zergling at max range of their ramp so you see if he is moving out for some reason. If he does not move out, he most likely techs - for an attack he HAS to move out : )

2: Well... this one is a difficult one to answer.
Experiment, most likely. Have a few zerglings near their base's ramp, so you see when they are moving out - then you WILL have time to create additional units on most maps before they are in your doorstep. In later stages, you should envision zerg economy kinda wavy... first wave, you make drones. Good, then you, depending on the situation, make some units, but you make drones also. If you are under pressure, you pump out units only. Then, If you have a minute of breathing space (like: you just killed an opposing army, and have surviving unit. You know they came at you with full force, and you stopped it, and you still have 3-4 spine crawlers...), then you can make a LOT of drones, and then in 30-40 sec later, your next pumping will be even bigger. Or : you see your opponent just threw down an expansion, but it is not mining yet. That is the sign of MAKE DRONES. If he is faking it, then he is obviously not bronze level, and you will have to make sure he does not trick you, but if he does not, you need that advantage of knowing he wont and cant come to attack yet.

3: Well.
Just start using them. The key here is simple: you repeat the word you wanna memorize and use it. For starting this training, you go into a game, and put a little paper on your monitors right side and do not allow yourself to see anything in that place. You write "S - larva D - drone Z - zergling R - roach Q - queen", and use THOSE keys, and those keys only. It will suck at the first few games, but then, you wont EVER click on those.

Same with units. You will force yourself into always moving via hotkeys, so for instance, make your scouting drone into group 1, then instead of selecting it, force yourself so you switch between your main base (4 on my setup), your scouting drone (1 here) and your first overlord who is on its way to scout (2). Cycle, cycle, cycle. For army movements, it will take more time to click 1a-2a if you have two group, but you gotta start using it even if you lose games, because you need to get used to it - you cant learn it any other way.

4: Decide. If you wanna scout with them, scout with the designated suicide Overlord. With others, make sure you wont get supply capped because a viking or two catches them. Also, make a habit so that as soon as you send a scouting overlord out, you immediately make another overlord - because that one will most likely be shot down. So you wont get supply capped. Scouting cost: 100 mineral, but still. It is a good habit to have.

Hope I helped. Practice, do not be sad if you lose, it happens to everyone. Even to protosses.

scogoth said:
NeoGAF night is a meme, maybe we can NeoGAF Pony night.

And NO mafia..... CoT, Star battle, Nuke Arcade, 7v7s all fine

I want in on a 7v7 tonight :)

scogoth said:
Hop on sc2 grab a high level gaf zerg to teach you. Panda will do it in return for watching anime and splinter will do it for free.

Yea, they will help you a lot. I have also been told to not worry about W/L for now, and just concentrating on getting games under your belt. With a little guidance you will catch up to me.
If you haven't already passed me ><

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I shall teach the zergs how to play!.

A. Build zerglings.
B. Morph zerglings into banelings
C. Rush
D. Pour a fine bottle of wine into a glass.
E. Win.

All the pros do it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Place Overlords at every expansion and on high ground so they can't be seen, place Lings at Xel'Nagas. Learn where Toss places pylons when 4gating and put Overlords there.

Jeff-DSA

Corran Horn said:
I shall teach the zergs how to play!.

A. Build zerglings.
B. Morph zerglings into banelings
C. Rush
D. Pour a fine bottle of wine into a glass.
E. Win.

All the pros do it.

They're starting to use the newly overbuffed infestors now too. I guess you fall back on that if the baneling bust fails, right?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Jeff-DSA said:
They're starting to use the newly overbuffed infestors now too. I guess you fall back on that if the baneling bust fails, right?
I thought zergs still refused to use infestors due to being expensive while stocking 3k/2k resources.

jasonng

Awesome Animals said:
I don't think we had one last week. Rather we did a 2v2v2v2. It was extremely entertaining to watch.
We did 7v7 some time ago. It's a straight lag fest. Pretty off putting but people keep coming back to it.

jasonng said:
We did 7v7 some time ago. It's a straight lag fest. Pretty off putting but people keep coming back to it.

I was thinking about that as I was typing. When we do any type of game, observers are always lagging. I can't imagine having all the spectators trying to play instead.

Spl1nter

Started the laddering. Went 2-0. Probably all the games I can play today.

1st Game TvZ: My standard 1 rax expo into blue flame build. Understatement saying this build is amazing. The game was not even close.

2nd Game TvP: Did a 1 rax no gas expo into adding 3 more rax than double gas. Got stim and drops and took out a robo. Could of won the game right there but overestimated the number of units he sent to handle the drop. During this time I took my third and had a 40 supply lead. Couldnt break him when I attacked at 200 because I had no vikings and 4 collosi are good. So was just like a zerg on 6 base and had about 20 rax. Overwhelmed him with units.

Conclusion: My tvp build sucks but the player I faced was horrible so I won on my macro alone. Need to find a new build. May experiment with bio mech. Some sort of seige expand or earlier drops and stim for a later expo. my tvz I just need to gain experience and improve overall; doubt I will lose to any diamond zergs if I play well. TvT, i hope i never have to play. On the way to Masters!

Outlaw I am tired of you complaining. If you are getting pissed off at the game ask for help. Panda stated earlier that both of us will help anyone out on GAF

If anyone below diamond wants lessons for Terran or Zerg than I am happy to help you you out.

Spl1nter said:
Started the laddering. Went 2-0. Probably all the games I can play today.

1st Game TvZ: My standard 1 rax expo into blue flame build. Understatement saying this build is amazing. The game was not even close.

Go on...

jasonng said:
Splints is training Kem right now. Get on it. Show him the flaws of using Hotkeys!

Spl1nter's one ten minute session with me helped me immensely. That is why I like playing with you all, because you get on my ass if I'm not building SCVs or if I have unspent minerals, shit like that.

Revengeance said:
On shortcut keys:

Here is how I learned: I never once actually clicked a the mouse anywhere other than main screen/minimap. Instead, I would look to see what key to use, and then use the keyboard. Took a while, but if you start that way, you'll pick them up easy peasy lemon squeezy.

QFT

On shortcut keys:

Here is how I learned: I never once actually clicked a the mouse anywhere other than main screen/minimap. Instead, I would look to see what key to use, and then use the keyboard. Took a while, but if you start that way, you'll pick them up easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Ecto311

Revengeance said:
On shortcut keys:

I am trying to explain this to my wife. She uses the mouse and holds her chin as she plays.

The way I look at it is a good analogy to typing words. I don't look down to spell shit out - Since I use grid layout in SC2 things become combos (words) to get them happening. Click SCV then tap "za" and click to get a barracks going down, roll off to shift and click him back to the mineral line.

This has been working well enough to get me into silver but I think it would use some refinement if I aim to get better.

She complains when we play together that I have double the shit she as at the end. Even though at the end her apm is close to mine.

Another quick thing to burning minerals if/when you have a shitload is to grab a bunch of SCVs and hot key buildings you want a lot of - then click them all over. I did not know till recently you can do this and then each individual SCV will make shit and return to mine when shift clicked. I was picking them one by one and doing this for a long time.

It helps get down the minerals and as the buildings are being made CRTL click them - bam more unit producing buildings muuuuch quicker than how I was doing it.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Ecto311 said:
We watched that together and she really enjoyed it. Since she's been playing a lot more. Trying to talk her into playing on gafnight.
apparently ads interfere with timestamp links. ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom