• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yoshichan said:
First I must say I'm quite impressed by the fact that you kept pumping SCVs. Usually people with not so much experience tends to stop at like 12 SCVs. Good stuff.

I'm also pleased to see that you binded your army. That'll get you one step closer to binding pretty much everything else in the future when you get better.

Building a supply depot (at 10) is probably the first thing you should go for (that early refinery is probably a bit of an overkill, especially considering that you'll get supply blocked for quite some time).

Remember that the max amount of harvesters on gas (your refinery) is max three.

As you got that engineering bay, you might as well had gotten that +1 weapon since you had the resources for it.

Definitely make sure to upgrade your command center to an orbital command quite early in the game so that you can start using mules (exta mineralers) or sweeps (free scan wherever you please).

When you build a structure, you can shift + right click his destination after he's built it. This might be a bit hard to remember at start but try to use it as much as possible, it's essential when you get better!

The techlab is a great add-on for upgrading your bio units (you got it early), so I'd recommend getting something like Combat Shield or Stimpack when you build the tech lab :).

Queuing up low costly units like marines/SCVs are fine but doing the same thing for super expensive units like the banshees isn't recommended.Remember that queuing them up won't allow you to build them faster :p. You can use those resources to build another starport which allows you to build banshees simultaneously!

edit: And grab siege tech for your siege tanks! You'll be surprised how much ass you can kick with it :lol

Great tips! The refinery thing is something I really need to keep in mind. Also the shift + click for workers.

I'm gonna try to do all the challenges and maybe some matches against the AI so I can get a feel for all the hotkeys.
I'm really looking forward to tomorrow when I can play some more!

Should I keep playing terran by the way or is there a race that is more newbie friendly?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sniper McBlaze said:
Great tips! The refinery thing is something I really need to keep in mind. Also the shift + click for workers.

I'm gonna try to do all the challenges and maybe some matches against the AI so I can get a feel for all the hotkeys.
I'm really looking forward to tomorrow when I can play some more!

Should I keep playing terran by the way or is there a race that is more newbie friendly?
Are you in EU servers? (lol who am I kidding)

I recommend you staying with terran. You have single player to sit back and level up on!

Yoshichan said:
Are you in EU servers? (lol who am I kidding)

I recommend you staying with terran. You have single player to sit back and level up on!

I actually am playing on the EU servers. :) Add me (name is Banko) if you ever wanna flash your superior skills in my face!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sniper McBlaze said:
I actually am playing on the EU servers. :) Add me (name is Banko) if you ever wanna flash your superior skills in my face!
WOW! From EU, really?! That's rare :D You need to give me your character code too (go to friends list, click on add friend, you should see "Your character code: XXX" :)

Yoshichan said:
WOW! From EU, really?! That's rare :D You need to give me your character code too (go to friends list, click on add friend, you should see "Your character code: XXX" :)

Oh, yes. From Sweden even. :) Character code was "244". Add me when you have the chance. Going to bed now, work starts at 6:45. *sigh*

Good night!

Keikaku

WedgeX said:
Alright, just survived a BC all-in (I think). Did not know that was even a build.

marine tank v. battlecruiser marine: I won, but what numerous things could I have done better?

It's not a build, so far as I know >.>

That said, good job holding it off. I would suggest more actively using your mules/scans. Your main CC was above 50 energy for what seemed like most of the game. Those mules would have given you a lot more income.

Also, try to get into the habit of building more Barracks, Factories, etc. It's something I have problems with too, but with all the extra money you were floating, you could have swamped and rolled him.

Keikaku said:
Here is the replay. Keep in mind that I was placed in Gold League this season, so I'm not that good. I fucked up a lot and waffled on unit choices quite a bit too :/

http://www.sc2rep.com/replays/(Z)Keikaku_vs_(P)Phantom_the_shattered_temple_sc2rep_com_20110501/7731
I'm a silver league super-baddie, but I think a spine at the top of the ramp once you realized he was 4-gating would've helped you hold. You're going to move it when you expand, so it's not like it goes totally to waste afterwards. Roaches seem to be the right choice though.

Edit: I know that recognizing it is not always easy, but he chased your lings back home at 7:10 with a suspicious-looking wad, and then screwed around at your natural and didn't actually attack until over a minute later. You could have sacced an ovie into his base at some point there too if need be.

You actually almost did hold the first attack as-was, and it was losing that and pulling your drones that really put you way behind and got the snowball rolling, even if he was outmacroing you somewhat beforehand.

Ashhong

scogoth said:
You dropping mules on time? And you have to be constantly attacking as the marines die you make more and then you don't need to build supply depots as fast.

Yea I drop the mules on time. The problem with the money comes in the beginning or so before I leave my base. What is the timing? I leave at 6 minutes or so, so I probably dont end up hitting until around 7. This is team games btw, so maybe thats why my timing is off?

Keikaku

slidewinder said:
I'm a silver league super-baddie, but I think a spine at the top of the ramp once you realized he was 4-gating would've helped you hold. You're going to move it when you expand, so it's not like it goes totally to waste afterwards. Roaches seem to be the right choice though.

Edit: I know that recognizing it is not always easy, but he chased your lings back home at 7:10 with a suspicious-looking wad, and then screwed around at your natural and didn't actually attack until over a minute later. You could have sacced an ovie into his base at some point there too if need be.

You actually almost did hold the first attack as-was, and it was losing that and pulling your drones that really put you way behind and got the snowball rolling, even if he was outmacroing you somewhat beforehand.

Thanks for the response. I figured he was 4-gating as I used to main Protoss before and his build/timings looked exactly like a 4-gate/3-Gate expo. Seeing as how we were close positions on Shattered Temple, I guessed 4-gate.

The spine crawler is a good option. I normally get 2 against Protoss in this situation, don't know why I didn't do it this time. I was also not droning enough. At the end it was, like, 18-27, so I screwed myself there too.

Thanks for your response-I'll make some adjustments and see how it goes :D

Haunted

EG announces $10.000 team league

3B5u0.jpg

Lasts 5 weeks, first broadcast is next Sunday (May 8th).

Invited Teams: EG, Dignitas, FnaticMSI, Mouz, ROOT, Sixjax, Millenium, and MYM

Prize Distribution: 1st - $5,000 / 2nd - $3,000 / 3rd - $2,000

Format: 3 1 vs.1s (best-of-1) / 1 2 vs. 2 (best-of-1) / 1 1 vs. 1 (best-of-3) ACE if the scores are tied

Haunted

ultron87 said:
No Liquid invite? Wonder if they turned it down or something?
No Team Empire as well. Would definitely put those over MYM and Millenium.

Well, can't complain since it's invite. May be connections, may be sponsors, may be other teams turning the invites down.

scogoth

Ashhong said:
Yea I drop the mules on time. The problem with the money comes in the beginning or so before I leave my base. What is the timing? I leave at 6 minutes or so, so I probably dont end up hitting until around 7. This is team games btw, so maybe thats why my timing is off?

Hazard is the expert on this build but I'm pretty sure you start with a 2 rax push with 5-6 marines then drop down all the rax and keep pumping out marines.

zlatko

Banned
Artosis is streaming!

mlpfimepisode23-thecut8uax.gif

Also, everyone support the next State of the Game. Idra will be on it and promised if they get more than 20K viewers, then he'd stream for a week with analysis/commentary during his games. :O

Ashhong

scogoth said:
Hazard is the expert on this build but I'm pretty sure you start with a 2 rax push with 5-6 marines then drop down all the rax and keep pumping out marines.

ah interesting. Maybe I will try that in 1v1. In team games I do 2rax, then 4 more rax at 16 and just pump marines for like a minute and a half and then hit with my team. Shit's unbeatable!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It really depends if you want a giant ball, or if you want to stream.
Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

zlatko

Banned
Wow Artosis stream mods are idiots. People have been trying to tell Artosis Osama is dead, but anytime you try to you get banned for 10 minutes. Fucking dumb he's being kept in the dark about this pretty big event in the world. :p

Edit: FINALLY the message got through! :O

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Haunted said:
EG announces $10.000 team league

3B5u0.jpg

Lasts 5 weeks, first broadcast is next Sunday (May 8th).

Invited Teams: EG, Dignitas, FnaticMSI, Mouz, ROOT, Sixjax, Millenium, and MYM

Prize Distribution: 1st - $5,000 / 2nd - $3,000 / 3rd - $2,000

Format: 3 1 vs.1s (best-of-1) / 1 2 vs. 2 (best-of-1) / 1 1 vs. 1 (best-of-3) ACE if the scores are tied
Aylinato justified for his team games practice.

nilbog21

Banned
zlatko said:
Wow Artosis stream mods are idiots. People have been trying to tell Artosis Osama is dead, but anytime you try to you get banned for 10 minutes. Fucking dumb he's being kept in the dark about this pretty big event in the world. :p

Edit: FINALLY the message got through! :O

rofl what the fuck

IceMarker

Reborn like a phoenix, I have a new and slightly more powerful computer with over 1.6 TB of space over two HDDs. I will be up and running again by Friday.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Good to hear MrMr! And now that finals are over, I might actually be able to attend GAF night :D.

Mairu

ultron87 said:
No Liquid invite? Wonder if they turned it down or something?
Liquid turned down the invite because they don't want to participate in leagues forced on NA server (jinro/huk/haypro in kr)

I don't really like the whole 3 1v1+1 2v2 format, but I'll probably still watch it. I have very little interest in watching competitive 2v2. Pokemon-style like the GSTL is the best way to do a team league :(

IceMarker

zlatko said:
Shit that was fast.
Of course a trip to Fry's, $400, and 10 man-hours later were needed. Everything should be back to normal by Friday, although complete recovery of my old hard drive and other nitpicky things such as buying a good copy of 64-bit instead of 32-bit Windows 7 will take until the end of the month to settle into.

zlatko

Banned
@Corran

That pic is amazing.

Oh and if anyone hasn't watched Artosis stream before they are missing out on life.

John is trolling him right now mid game. <3

Edit: GET OUT OF MY MIND CORRAN!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
zlatko said:
@Corran

That pic is amazing.

Oh and if anyone hasn't watched Artosis stream before they are missing out on life.

John is trolling him right now mid game. <3

Edit: GET OUT OF MY MIND CORRAN!
1rv9q.jpg

best thing about artosis stream is that he actually talks about what he is doing and whats going on in the match, so much better and more entertaining for your veiwers than just spamming games and torturing them with awful fucking music. (smh at Huk's music tastes)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I think i spend too much time here.

Last night I dreamnt i got PM's from zlatko and haunted and we had some back and forth discussions.

zlatko

Banned
HolyCheck said:
I think i spend too much time here.

Last night I dreamnt i got PM's from zlatko and haunted and we had some back and forth discussions.

*stares at avatar choice for HolyCheck*

Keep me out of your dreams. Next thing I'll know Panda will be telling us about a dream he had where we were all ponies and shit gets creepy quickly. :(

HolyCheck

zlatko said:
*stares at avatar choice for HolyCheck*

Keep me out of your dreams. Next thing I'll know Panda will be telling us about a dream he had where we were all ponies and shit gets creepy quickly. :(

lol to be fair your PM was just asking if i'd been watching MC's stream lastnight.

Haunteds was him writing some long arse 1000+ word essay where he was amazed by the fact that there was a BRONZE LEAGUE?? because not since the beta had he recalled such a league, and he was amazed to see me posting about the BRONZE LEAGUE?? and wondered if it was a SEA only thing.

zlatko

Banned
HolyCheck said:
lol to be fair your PM was just asking if i'd been watching MC's stream lastnight.

Haunteds was him writing some long arse 1000+ word essay where he was amazed by the fact that there was a BRONZE LEAGUE?? because not since the beta had he recalled such a league, and he was amazed to see me posting about the BRONZE LEAGUE?? and wondered if it was a SEA only thing.

tumblr_lgbiy9ygKI1qf8yek.gif

No sir! This is how it starts. First it's MC stream dream, then it's you're on the beach in a speedo playing SC2 on a laptop, then it all snowballs into a kangaroo with 3 midgets holding dildos in the shape of spine crawlers.

When are you gonna play ladder? Hustle up that fat loot so you can get out of bronze league.

HolyCheck

zlatko said:
tumblr_lgbiy9ygKI1qf8yek.gif

No sir! This is how it starts. First it's MC stream dream, then it's you're on the beach in a speedo playing SC2 on a laptop, then it all snowballs into a kangaroo with 3 midgets holding dildos in the shape of spine crawlers.

When are you gonna play ladder? Hustle up that fat loot so you can get out of bronze league.

I tried a game the other day, worst 4gate ever (8.5 minutes) then the laptop overheated.

I think i need to get a new one :( I unscrewed the entire laptop and blew on the fans and shiz and nothing!

Slavik81

As a Protoss, how should I be dealing with the spanishawa style? Just macro while I tech up to colossi and try to pin him to 2 base?

Jeff-DSA

Slavik81 said:
As a Protoss, how should I be dealing with the spanishawa style? Just macro while I tech up to colossi and try to pin him to 2 base?

If you can pin a Zerg to two bases, you've already won regardless of his style unless you have poor macro or else you get caught in a bad engagement with banelings or something.

zlatko

Banned
twofold said:

I mulled over this and the same idea I had on how to handle it seems to be what other people are finding works against it. Macro up yourself, defend against his harass, harass yourself, and go for a heavy air army. I'd throw in a mother ship, some voids, lots of blink stalkers, use the mothership to secure/cloak a third base, harass with some DTs in the main, use the blink stalkers with voids to engage at his third/fourth and if shit is going south recall your army back to your third.

Might work? Give it a try. :p

Slavik81

Jeff-DSA said:
If you can pin a Zerg to two bases, you've already won regardless of his style unless you have poor macro or else you get caught in a bad engagement with banelings or something.
Well, I thought it might be possible to delay his 3rd significantly given that he has no ability to engage off creep. Spine crawlers and queens were most of his defense, with a mass of zerglings to supplement.

I should also clarify that this is on Slag Pits, where acquiring a third is kind of difficult already.

twofold said:
Lots of great ideas there. Thanks.

I think next time I'll remember to watch for gas timings, expand to my natural sooner, expand to my 3rd MUCH sooner, and tech up quickly.

I've always been kind of bad about taking my third. I really should do better at that.

Slavik81 said:

cannon rush, DT opening or any timing that requires him to have fast ling speed or lair tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom