• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheeto

Slavik81 said:
As a Protoss, how should I be dealing with the spanishawa style? Just macro while I tech up to colossi and try to pin him to 2 base?
You can be a total boss and take a third super early... spanishiwa style Z poses zero threat early game... so just saturate 3 bases and then make everything and roll them

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Slavik81 said:
As a Protoss, how should I be dealing with the spanishawa style? Just macro while I tech up to colossi and try to pin him to 2 base?
Reverse his strat and just make cannons and an insanely fast third.
That is what I would do anyway.

Hell, offensive cannon him. Get 50 gas for warpgate, then just go cannon zealot. What more do you really need?

spanishiwa is only somewhat viable in 1 out of 3 matchups.

that being said, on ladder, I love opening that way against T. Wouldn't do it in a tournament setting though.

MrMister said:
Of course a trip to Fry's, $400, and 10 man-hours later were needed. Everything should be back to normal by Friday, although complete recovery of my old hard drive and other nitpicky things such as buying a good copy of 64-bit instead of 32-bit Windows 7 will take until the end of the month to settle into.

What is the difference between 64-bit and 32-bit? Why go 64-bit? Somewhere down the line I'd like to build my own rig, so I figured I may as well ask.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Awesome Animals said:
What is the difference between 64-bit and 32-bit? Why go 64-bit? Somewhere down the line I'd like to build my own rig, so I figured I may as well ask.
If you want to use more than 4GB of RAM

ultron87

Wow, I always knew about the way you can check for a ramp being walled off, but that stuff with checking for expansions and rocks being gone is pretty damn cool.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
nilbog21 said:
but seriously can someone translate that video? all i got was the rock exploit

basically if you set the scout path to go to where you know there isnt normaly something blocking your path (expansion) just by observing the lines that create when you set a path for your unit you can tell if there is an expansion or not, or see if thats where your opponents base is without scouting properly.

atleast that's what I got out of it.. is that right guys ;_;

ultron87

nilbog21 said:
but seriously can someone translate that video? all i got was the rock exploit

Order a unit to move to the back of an expansion spot with a direct line with no obstacles. Then set a waypoint where you started. If there is no expansion the unit should stay exactly on the path shown by the queued up orders.

If there is an expansion, the unit will take shortest route possible and deviate off the straight line path a little bit to the left or right since it has to go around the Nexus.

It's just exploiting the fact that the pathing algorithm doesn't take fog of war into account.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Chinese Electric Batman said:
IdrA vs Sheth showmatch soon.

Here's hoping IdrA absolutely rolls him.
why? sheth is a friend of gaf. and an all around manner guy.
AND an Sj.Terran hater.

here's hoping the series ends 3-2.

HolyCheck

lol, from dApollos twitter

dApollo1337 Shaun Clark
lol, wanting to play a tournament, signed up, checked in, first game vs VirusNaama :D Dreamhack champion vs Dreamhack caster, fuck lol

poor guy! good to see commentators getting involved from both ends though

1OXyK.jpg

lol, idra asleep just woke up and now delays the show match so he can eat.

HolyCheck

I can't stand his extremely fake sounding niceness.

Personalities aside I prefer IdrA as a player anyway.

Dude's not being fake, he's being himself.

he's super nice.

V_Arnold

I can't stand his extremely fake sounding niceness.

Personalities aside I prefer IdrA as a player anyway.

Wow...you almost sound like you were more clever for "seeing through" his fake sheningans.
It is kinda shocking how pro players (yes, even Idra) tries to advocate honesty and/or proper respect when it is due, only to see forums full of hate from all sides, to all kind of behaviours. He is BM? Fuck him! He is nice? Fuck him anyway :D

Jeez.

Listening to him talk I get the feeling he's one of those extremely sinister nice on the outside guys with deep seated rage issues.

Q8D3vil

it seem that idra is in a very good shape these days, at least he seem to figure out his problems with zvp.

why? sheth is a friend of gaf. and an all around manner guy.
AND an Sj.Terran hater.
what does this have to do with sheth?

anyway, sheth is amazing and very nice guy.
someday he will take the throne of the best zerg in na.
probably when he go to fxo house in KL and train the korean server.

syllogism

Q8D3vil said:
anyway, sheth is amazing and very nice guy.
someday he will take the throne of the best zerg in na.
probably when he go to fxo house in KL and train the korean server.
Haha right, perhaps when Idra retires. Sheth was a BW player too and a rather mediocre one.

Sheth actually complains a lot too while streaming, calling any early terran pressure cheesy or all-in and rarely gives players credit for beating him

V_Arnold

Sheth played well, but while he always seemed to have more lings, Idra could just stay safe and drone up behind that, and that was what killed Sheth in the end. Sheth will analyze the replays and improve undoubtedly. Also, micro mistakes were present...when you do a stream in the meantime and TALK, it is going to happen. Focus more, maybe, next time.

Q8D3vil

syllogism said:
Haha right, perhaps when Idra retires. Sheth was a BW player too and a rather mediocre one.

Sheth actually complains a lot too while streaming, calling any early terran pressure cheesy or all-in and rarely gives players credit for beating him
i didn't know that.
well, fuck him too then.

syllogism

Q8D3vil said:
i didn't know that.
well, fuck him too then.
To be fair, I may have exaggerated a tad and am inclined to interpret comments unfavorably when there's some ambiguity. You've to realize, however, that him being overly nice is at least partly a gimmick, an effective one, as he is making a lot of money by streaming and talking. Kind of the opposite of Destiny, who also isn't genuine most of the time.

jasonng

So when are we doing Gaf Night this week? Just because Mrmr is out of commission doesnt mean the fam shouldnt get together for some friendly sparring.

Jeff-DSA

mescalineeyes said:
sheth has double the viewers of destiny these days. I find that sort-of odd. I love both fwiw.

Destiny is hilarious to watch. Lots of clicks and a faint background music all of a sudden interrupted by yelling of profanity. His series with CombatEX was great too. Destiny definitely won the trash talk war in that one.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just downloaded the Korean client.

I am ready!

I like this game, and yet at the same time I hate it.

I find it fascinating to watch, but when playing myself RTS games make me nervous/uncomfortable in a way that other games don't.

I think fog of war (not being able to see what your opponent is doing at all times) and the fact that RTS games involve heavy-multitasking are what make it more stressful than fun for me, at least compared to shooters where the power of sight is more in your control and your attention is less divided.

jasonng

CarbonatedFalcon said:
I like this game, and yet at the same time I hate it.

I find it fascinating to watch, but when playing myself RTS games make me nervous/uncomfortable in a way that other games don't.

I think fog of war (not being able to see what your opponent is doing at all times) and the fact that RTS games involve heavy-multitasking are what make it more stressful than fun for me, at least compared to shooters where the power of sight is more in your control and your attention is less divided.
If you don't have any RTS background then this game definitely has quite the steep learning curve. Don't fret though because everything you described that makes you nervous is what every beginner goes through. Pretty soon you'll become familiarize with the mechanics and learn how to use things such as the fog of war to your advantage. If you're willing to take the punches then this game can certainly be rewarding.

And as always, there is almost always somebody in the gaf channel that wouldn't hesitate to give you some advice and pointers. We even have people that can coach you through.

tafer

Starcraft 2 newbie here... (Used to play SC1 like crazy)

Eh... I don't know if this is the correct place to ask... I didn't notice anything relevant on the OP... the search isn't working and my google-fu tells me there is no happy solutions...

I just got a new PC (i7 2600k, GTX570, 8GB RAM, etc.), everything runs as expected (FurMark and stuff). After a looong patching process and accepting the most abusive "user agreement" I have ever seen, I can't get to play this game without having a nasty crash that requires to restart, in the hard way, the poor machine...

Google tells me it is (was?) common, but I didn't find any real solutions... you guys have any idea what could it be?

IceMarker

xOjlJ.png

The 22nd weekly Starcraft II GAF night, this will be the last 'test night' before we decide whether to stick to Tuesday or switch back to Wednesday.

Information Guru said:
The Weekly NeoGAF Starcraft II Nights
-Wednesdays Tuesdays starting @ 6pm PDT (9pm EST)
-Game types:
<1v1>
<2v2>
<3v3>
<4v4>
<FFA>
<Custom Maps>

Mumble + Stream
-Corran's Stream: http://www.justin.tv/corran666
-Mumble Info: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399065
GENTLEMEN BEHOLD, I SHALL BE REBORN NEXT WEEK

Status