• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
pieatorium said:
q3 starts in like july right?
not all companies use january as the start of q1. march is a popular alternative and would fit with this being an end of quarter roll call.

Slavik81

twofold said:
Infestors clump up like mad. An emp or two would make them absolutely worthless. Ghosts are getting a reduction in cost in the next patch, too, so there shouldn't be any excuses for not using them.
The real question for me is how Protoss deals with them. Infestors are pretty much the counter to everything Protoss. Only Archeons, Colossi, and Motherships aren't seriously harmed by fungal, and very few things have the range 9 that fungal has.

Blink Stalkers or High Templar are pretty much the only reasonable thing I can think of. Zealots, DTs, Sentries and Phoenixes are totally demolished by Infestors. Void Rays have serious trouble due to clumping and their need for careful positional micro. Carriers are rendered toothless as all their interceptors are destroyed.

But it's even effective against Stalkers, and has equal range as feedback. A group of high templar will have a hard time feedbacking an entire group of infestors before getting fungaled themselves. Mainly because fungal does area of effect, while feedback is single target. Storm might be reasonably effective, but since it doesn't hold them in place, they can just move away and survive.

I really just don't know how to deal with infestors. It's like they counter everything. They deal so much damage on top of allowing the caster to take positional advantage.

MidnightRider said:
Just bought the game.

digital download like an idiot

won't get to play till tomorrow....

Never played a SC game before.

IN for ass kicking

You're me from 4 weeks ago. If you ever played any other RTS before you'll be fine, if not, god help you.

Idra casting in the EG Master's Cup and it's Sen vs. a Euro Zerg. On the second game Sen goes Protoss and Idra predicts the builds correctly and calls the game for Sen at the 2 minute mark.

WedgeX

Banned
MidnightRider said:
I played Age of Empires back in the day.

Does that count? haha

That might've been the last serious rts I played before SC2.

Get on the neogaf chat channel, ask for help from people, get on mumble to talk to people. You'll do just fine!

Oh, and come watch gaf night on Tuesdays at 6pm (PST) aka 9pm in real people time (EST).

jasonng

Question for Terran Gaf:

Is there such a thing as faking a one rax expand into two rax early pressure? I saw a guy not getting gas and assumed a two rax pressure even though I didnt see a second rax (I was thinking he wanted to kill my scout first). I ended up sacrificing a lot of econ over essentially nothing but I was wondering if it was a viable choice for terran to fake a FE.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
jasonng said:
Question for Terran Gaf:

Is there such a thing as faking a one rax expand into two rax early pressure? I saw a guy not getting gas and assumed a two rax pressure even though I didnt see a second rax (I was thinking he wanted to kill my scout first). I ended up sacrificing a lot of econ over essentially nothing but I was wondering if it was a viable choice for terran to fake a FE.
yes its called 6raxing because terran can build cc's behind walls and deny all scouting with theoretically 1rax production.

WedgeX

Banned
MidnightRider said:
^^^ Wow that looks like a foreign language to me... I might have just wasted 60 bucks :(

It looks like that for a bit.

Just get on the neogaf chat channel and watch panda and splinter debate for a half hour after they practice together, and you'll start to get it haha.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
MidnightRider said:
^^^ Wow that looks like a foreign language to me... I might have just wasted 60 bucks :(

Don't freak out about it.

Everyone starts out as a scrub not knowing the terminology. Come play some games with the GAF crew and they'll get you up to speed rather quickly.

This should help a little:

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Definitions

Slavik81

MidnightRider said:
Rax = Barracks (the most basic structure that produces attacking units)
6rax = He made 6 Barracks
CC = Command Center (the central structure of your base)

It will make a lot of sense pretty quickly. I never played more than a handful of matches online in an RTS before SC2.

jasonng

Pandaman said:
yes its called 6raxing because terran can build cc's behind walls and deny all scouting with theoretically 1rax production.
Damn, it sounds so fun to play a Terran. Having so many options on the fly sounds so enticing to switch race again.

And regarding MidnightRider, don't be intimidated. Just echoing with the others said, you will understand the lingo rather quickly. Especially when we have a lot of Gaffers here who are more than happy to help. We're fucking nice people dammit!

Q8D3vil

Won said:
That patch feels so rushed. :/

Well, Warpgate nerf, yay....I guess.
my only issue is the thor.
i don't like the nerf, no more thor rushes which is the best option to punish FE protoss imo and reduce thor power endgame if there is ht around.
what a joke.

Q8D3vil said:
my only issue is the thor.
i don't like the nerf, no more thor rushes which is the best option to punish FE protoss imo and reduce thor power endgame if there is ht around.
what a joke.
I think a timer before being able to use the first cannon like what they did with corruptors is probably the better way they could have dealt with it, maybe 1 minute?. I dont think it will affect thor rushing too much, there are usually not alot of viable strike cannon targets so only having 1 or 2 available rather than 3 or 4 shouldn't be game breaking imo. Like you said the biggest deal will be lategame templars.

Mmm, I'm gonna have a fiddle around in the Galaxy Editor (last time I opened it up was shortly after release?) I just struck an idea that should be fairly easy to implement and may make for an interesting map mechanic.

Hopefully it's not too hard to do.

Deadman

Im sad about the thor nerf too, i really wanted mech play to become viable in tvp (because marauders are boring) and just as some strategies involving mech start to come out they nerf it in to the ground.

Patch timing means thorzain wont have them in the finals.

J2d

MidnightRider said:
I played Age of Empires back in the day.

Does that count? haha
Psh then you are pretty much a pro compared to me since this is basically my first pc game ever. I have blink hot keyed to the space bar so I don't miss it in the heat of battle!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
jasonng said:
Question for Terran Gaf:

hahahaha.
Yes.

I did this vs Panda and Splinter on Jungle Basin. It was hilarious. Also I had 4 rax and an expansion.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pandaman said:
you never faked it, we always knew it was coming.
It's like a delayed 2 rax. You have to make lings anyway and lings don't beat 12 Thors!
HAHAHAHA

I miss Jungle :'[

Also Zerg is hard.

zlatko

Banned
To our new SC2 player, welcome! This is my first RTS game ever and I'm gold league, so don't fret about it being way over your head at first. Stick with it, play a lot, and little by little you will see improvement and more fun unfolds.

It's the single greatest game of all time. :)

I'll be away for a long hiatus since Brink came out today. It's my most anticipated game of this year, and next week is Witcher 2, so I'll be out of playing for a while. :(

BigAT

mescalineeyes said:
Brink seems to be a hot mess. JP was streaming it and it was quite abominable.
I wasn't really following the development of it at all, but the early reviews seem to be pretty brutal.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Still no patch for EU... come the fuck on.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Argh... oh well.

ultron87

Q8D3vil said:
fuck, i have an exam tomorrow and want to ladder to use thor in tvp for the last time :(

It's not like you won't be able to still Thor rush. Protoss can't just pop out a few Templar as you march your Thors out of the base.

V_Arnold

ultron87 said:
It's not like you won't be able to still Thor rush. Protoss can't just pop out a few Templar as you march your Thors out of the base.

Yeah, but he is Devil :D
I do not get why he thinks Thor rushes will be useless, when at that point of the game, there wont be any ground army if P rushes to HT tech also... Pointless to cry about that.

Q8D3vil

V_Arnold said:
Yeah, but he is Devil :D
I do not get why he thinks Thor rushes will be useless, when at that point of the game, there wont be any ground army if P rushes to HT tech also... Pointless to cry about that.
thor with strike cannon can one shot the eascaping immortal = win.
can't do that now.
shame on you blizzard, shame on you

ultron87

Q8D3vil said:
thor with strike cannon can one shot the eascaping immortal = win.
can't do that now.
shame on you blizzard, shame on you

They still can. They just might get feedbacked before they do it.

I guess you just can't instantly have a Strike Cannon capable Thor after it is produced anymore. That seems like a good change and would've been fine even if it didn't involve a switch to energy.

So I did this just now:

bUDXK.png

Defiler Whiskey is the best division name of all time. I can never leave.

Does this mean I'm not awful now?

BigAT

ShallNoiseUpon said:
So I did this just now:

http://i.imgur.com/bUDXK.png[IMG]

Defiler Whiskey is the best division name of all time. I can never leave.

Does this mean I'm not awful now?[/QUOTE]
No one ever gets good, just less awful.

Congrats on the promotion though!

looking forward to getting off work so i can go home and start my first game

I guess i should play against an easy AI first to help get used to the layout of the game and what does what

Can't decide between Terran and Protoss though

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
MidnightRider said:

I guess i should play against an easy AI first to help get used to the layout of the game and what does what

Have a few games against the comp indeed, everyone here will tell you to dive into online, but if like I you had no idea really of how things work it's best to have a crack against the computer, just to get used to the multi tasking

ultron87

MidnightRider said:

The campaign is a perfectly fine way to get used to the controls and basics of the game.

Or you can just do some skirmishes against easy AIs just to get used to the mechanics and what all the units for each race can do.

Then you can either try playing against some harder AIs or just hop into the multiplayer.

When you get to the multiplayer you should skip the practice league matches. They are played at a slower speed and have rocks that prevent early rushes. They don't really teach you how to be successful at the game. Playing against an AI is much better practice for a beginner.

After that just play your placement matches. You'll probably end up in Bronze, but there's no shame in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom