• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden

Jeff-DSA said:
You shouldn't be flying around in there, but dropping on the mineral lines with a few Vikings is really powerful. The queen comes up and just melts.

I know that, my point was why would he be killing overlords where his queens are (in base) and not around the map that usually have no queens next to them.

zoukka

Hugoboss21 said:
I know that, my point was why would he be killing overlords where his queens are (in base) and not around the map that usually have no queens next to them.

Well it's debatable if two vikings are worth it if you kill 2-3 ovies? I'm not sayin they can't be good early on, but they can be a liability if the zerg wants to be aggressive.

The point is those drops were placed in such good spots, and if that drop had been marines + 1 ghost cloaked up there, then stopping the nuke should be impossible unless he made overseers before hand, right?

Well... you need the academy, cloack research and nuke research. That means cutting shit and hard. Also one nuke doesn't win you games unless you land it on the middle of the opposing army. Fast nukes is a gimmick build.

Q8D3vil

zlatko said:
Start thinking outside the box.

Most Zerg go for ling, bane, muta to win in ZvT. T just keep doing Marines, tanks, and eventually Thors.

Think of ways to incorporate Ghosts, Cattlebruisers, Marauders, Banshees, etc into play.

Most zerg are idiots and don't make enough overseers mid-late game. If you had a build set up to get the Banshee's with cloak in mid game to take out the infestors, you'd be good. Terran right now is the one race that seems to just keep doing the same shit, and that's why they are having a harder time I think.
terran can't tech switch, and a lot of terran units been nerfed to hell and the structure is very hard to make any tech switch viable.

Units
banshee and reaper build time is very long to make them a fighting unit or harass end game unlike protoss which can put a dark shrine and produce dts from warpgates for end game harass.

Upgrades
if you want to compete end game you will need the upgrades and terran have the worst upgrade system in the game. once you choose your tech route you have to stick to it.

that's why most terran do the tank marine medivac all game, its hard to switch to something else.

zlatko

Banned
zoukka said:
Well it's debatable if two vikings are worth it if you kill 2-3 ovies? I'm not sayin they can't be good early on, but they can be a liability if the zerg wants to be aggressive.

Well... you need the academy, cloack research and nuke research. That means cutting shit and hard. Also one nuke doesn't win you games unless you land it on the middle of the opposing army. Fast nukes is a gimmick build.

I was thinking more of getting them if it gets to that late game scenario. At this point I always see even Grand Master/pros swimming in money thanks to mules and high yields. You'd already have your usual mix of tanks/rines/medivacs, but you could hopefully time it right to get a Ghost Academy thrown into the mix. It'd definitely take a good amount of work and messing around with it to get the right way to transition into it safely, but I feel Ghosts(especially after next patch) should be something more Terrans look into abusing in late game ZvT.

@Devil 100% right. That's why I don't play Terran. :p I like being more reactionary as Zerg which fits my play style more.

I'll pipe down though, because I know you guys definitely see more in the match ups then I do. :) I would just like to see more Ghosts get utilized, because I feel they are getting slept on.

Jeff-DSA

Q8D3vil said:
where can i watch it ?

It was streaming live on justin.tv right now, but the VOD will only be for those that bought a NASL pass.

Spoiler!
Drewbie still wins, but he loses an entire army to a couple of infestors. The game should have ended way earlier than it did.

zoukka

End game ghosts are great and I wish we'll see them more. (very likely because of the patch and the fact that terrans are getting slapped by infestors so hard now).

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
zoukka said:
Also a single queen is enough to repel them.
killing ovies is a side effect of the vikings true purpose: moving ovies into zergs base.

Spoiler!
Drewbie still wins, but he loses an entire army to a couple of infestors. The game should have ended way earlier than it did.

vJzEb.gif

You dont run squads of marines at tank lines or colossi, dont do it with infestors. stop whining that zerg has a viable midgame seige unit.

zoukka

Pandaman said:
killing ovies is a side effect of the vikings true purpose: moving ovies into zergs base.

Yep, I responded originally to a post that said Vikings are good for killing ovies en masse so I think we've come a full circle now.

You dont run squads of marines at tank lines or colossi, dont do it with infestors. stop whining that zerg has a viable midgame seige unit.

You gotta admit, the infestor is much more deadlier just because it can instakill drops and other flying units too.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
zoukka said:
You gotta admit, the infestor is much more deadlier just because it can instakill drops and other flying units too.
at significant energy cost yes, but it also has extremely low health to cost, works off of the energy mechanic and cant pressure static defenses or zone out other siege units in a contain.

the infestor is strong now because it counters the intuitive playstyle terrans and protoss have used versus zerg up until this point, not because it actually breaks the game. as zergs continue to build up on their map control skills it'll keep getting worse and worse for terrans and protoss who tend to just move out to places willy nilly.

twofold

Pandaman said:
at significant energy cost yes, but it also has extremely low health to cost, works off of the energy mechanic and cant pressure static defenses or zone out other siege units in a contain.

You forgot to mention the dumb as shit AI that makes it run head first into enemy units.

I have such a love/hate relationship with Infestors.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
twofold said:
You forgot to mention the dumb as shit AI that makes it run head first into enemy units.

I have such a love/hate relationship with Infestors.
thats not really the ai, its the unit having a weird speed.

the new patch will make it stay behind our roaches unless we tell em to go out front. :D

Q8D3vil

Pandaman said:

vJzEb.gif

i don't run them into tanks because i know they are there.
or at least i can back up when i get the first hit, same goes for coloss although tvp is more marauders based.

infestors, they just insant cast and boom all your army is either dead or in red health.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
We're still discussing infestors vs siege tanks? I thought we understood each other when we said infestors are imba and needs immediate nerf.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Q8D3vil said:
welcome to the stategy part of RTS.

You had your fun walking around the map blowing shit up because you thought your ball was untouchable, that moment seems to now be passing. Now the game works like this: if its in the fog of war, its zerg territory and you shouldn't move through it unless you know whats there. The slow push vs map control aspect of ZvT and how it interacts with zergs ability to hold bases and terrans ability to access mules is the most interesting part of starcraft 2 right now, please stop calling for its destruction.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Q8D3vil said:
or at least i can back up when i get the first hit, same goes for coloss although tvp is more marauders based.

infestors, they just insant cast and boom all your army is either dead or in red health.

Now you know how I felt when I played against my Terran buddy in SC1. I loved mass hydras/mutas, he loved Science Vessels/Goliaths/Tanks. I couldn't make any moves on his base lest I get Irradiated into oblivion.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ahoyhoy said:
Now you know how I felt when I played against my Terran buddy in SC1. I loved mass hydras/mutas, he loved Science Vessels/Goliaths/Tanks. I couldn't make any moves on his base lest I get Irradiated into oblivion.
get burrow? >_> then it only kills one unit.

mutas are still fucked tho.

ksan

Q8D3vil said:

No, you got that wrong, go into tanks or mutas into thors and boom they are either dead or in red health. FG damages units over time...

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ksan said:
No, you got that wrong, go into tanks or mutas into thors and boom they are either dead or in red health. FG damages units over time...
and lets review drewbies amazing army composition.

ffIlk.jpg

80 marines.
built 15 at a time every 25 seconds.
and terrans complain about infestors stopping it.
at the cost of two full mining bases and one and a half armies.

ksan

Pandaman said:
and lets review drewbies amazing army composition.

http://i.imgur.com/ffIlk.jpg[IMG]

80 marines.
built 15 at a time every 25 seconds.
and terrans complain about infestors stopping it.
at the cost of two full mining bases and one and a half armies.[/QUOTE]
Yes, but Drewbie's keyboard was broke and only the a-button worked, he should have a chance against fungals just as he should survive running into a siege tank line or collosi fire.
[QUOTE=twofold]This Huk interview is amazing - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt80gUKjn3A[/url]

[spoiler]Carmac, the interviewer, is trolling Huk. He can speak English fine.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
Such a troll! I remember his Bogdan interview that you just linked too, was hilarious.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Made this one to encapsulate all the rage I've been getting about my liberal baneling usage in 2v2 games against mass rines/lots.

GM5nO.gif

cdyhybrid

I'm practicing these FE pressure builds (2gate FE w/ pressure vs. T, 2rax FE vs. Z, 7RR w/ expo, etc.) but the people I'm running into on ladder are just dying to the pressure =\ I'm going to focus less on the pressure and more on the macro behind it, but damn. I might get promoted to Plat before I'm really forced to macro behind these pressure builds.

Tetsuo9

cdyhybrid said:
I'm practicing these FE pressure builds (2gate FE w/ pressure vs. T, 2rax FE vs. Z, 7RR w/ expo, etc.) but the people I'm running into on ladder are just dying to the pressure =\ I'm going to focus less on the pressure and more on the macro behind it, but damn. I might get promoted to Plat before I'm really forced to macro behind these pressure builds.
use yabot to practice your macro.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
is it just me or is the ptr cycle basically:
put out a bunch of stuff, add one thing thats controversal.
change that one thing, reign in other changes, add something new.
bring to market without any care of the test results for the new thing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pandaman said:
is it just me or is the ptr cycle basically:
put out a bunch of stuff, add one thing thats controversal.
change that one thing, reign in other changes, add something new.
bring to market without any care of the test results for the new thing.
I don't think they should patch anything without waiting 3 months.
Or maybe waiting until people get good at the game.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Hazaro said:
I don't think they should patch anything without waiting 3 months.
Or maybe waiting until people get good at the game.
eh its not so bad this time, although blizzard seems to be trying to sneak in some big gate plays in pvt that interest me from a theorycraft standpoint.

i should grab splinter and offrace as toss to test some ideas. >_>

zlatko

Banned
When I ladder I go from game to game fast. Occasionally, as I go from my last one to my next one, my previous opponent I roll feels compelled to spam me with idiotic bull shit and flames. How do you block chat against someone while you are in game?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
zlatko said:
When I ladder I go from game to game fast. Occasionally, as I go from my last one to my next one, my previous opponent I roll feels compelled to spam me with idiotic bull shit and flames. How do you block chat against someone while you are in game?
click your friends list button, click the name of the person flaming you [it will be on the top in a list of active conversation windows]. this will open a standard independant chat window just like the ones on the menu screens, click his name and select block communication.

zlatko

Banned
Pandaman said:
click your friends list button, click the name of the person flaming you [it will be on the top in a list of active conversation windows]. this will open a standard independant chat window just like the ones on the menu screens, click his name and select block communication.

Thank you. :) Super annoying when butt hurt people send me messages. This should help me keep focused on my next game more in the early game rather than getting filled with spam I'm not even replying to. :/

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
zlatko said:
Thank you. :) Super annoying when butt hurt people send me messages. This should help me keep focused on my next game more in the early game rather than getting filled with spam I'm not even replying to. :/
on the flipside, now your games will be cluttered with full on chat windows. xD

Zen

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
This is what happens when I don't ladder enough. Notice how often my opponent was favored.

Wrongleague.jpg

Time to burn through my bonus pool, play more games, and get up into the leagues I belong in.

Just be careful that you don't ladder too much, I've found that the game is fairly generous with opponents when you're only playing intermediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom