• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

Oh gosh, someone just ragequit on Idra's stream after saying he only won because Zerg is a joke. I can't tell if he was joking or not.

Edit: Two ragequits in a row hahahaha

BigAT

Sniper McBlaze said:
Yay! A new win!

Anyone want to watch and tell if I have become any better?

http://www.mediafire.com/?6p85yip5ck6ds66

This game actually felt kind of good. I've gotten my ass handed to me before from those asshole Dark Templars who are invisible so I tried to get Ravens in this game although I didn't need them this time.

Why did I win this game? Better macro? Better counters to his Stalkers?
I just gave your replay a quick look over, here's some points as I go through it:

-Ultron is right, you should be turning your CC into an Orbital earlier. The traditional timing for this is to stop making SCVs at 15 supply, your Barracks should finish at almost the exact same time your 15th SCV does, then immediately get your Orbital.

-you want to avoid queuing units as much as you are, especially early on. Queued units take up minerals/gas that could be used on something else like an expansion, more production buildings, or research. Queuing that early in the game can really throw off the timing of your build since minerals are so scarce in the early game.

-you took a while to put SCVs on your refinery after it finished, just something to be mindful of. Same thing with that early supply block. A good way to avoid getting supply blocked (especially if you are doing 3-Rax or something similar) is after 20 food or so, designate a single SCV that will be constantly making Supply Depots. Whenever it finishes a depot and you see it's idle, use it to build a new one. You should pretty much never get supply blocked with this method assuming you're on one base.

-you should build your second Command Center earlier, your main base was almost mined out when you started it. You had enough minerals to do so pretty easily, if you see that you have 1000 minerals saved up you should definitely start building another CC or more production buildings (Rax/Factories/Starports).

-get Stim. Seriously, it's amazing.

You won that game because your opponent pushed into a fortified defensive position (bunker, small choke, up a ramp) and got his entire army slaughtered. You were up 3 food prior to that battle and 37 food immediately afterward. Another suggestion is that you don't always want to turn around and head back to your base when you see a tiny force near there, you don't need to be that defensive all the time. At around the 12:30 mark you could have just strolled into his base and won the game with the forces you had instead of turning around to take out his forward pylon.

Most importantly though, congrats on the win.

zlatko

Banned
Pankaks said:
Psh Kelly. Artosis will always have my heart.

chMYY.jpg

Would.

ultron87 said:
Yeah. I live in Cincinnati and my parents live in Columbus. So I'd have had a place to stay and everything. Unfortunately I need to be in Cleveland for an 80th birthday party of a relative on Saturday.

I dunno, maybe I'll go Friday evening and come back from Cleveland early on Sunday or something to see some matches. I just dunno if I'd be able to go enough to justify the 25 bucks.

Oh cincy. I used to goto Miami, but now I'm back home in Cleveland. If you're going to Cleveland, you might as well stop in C-Bus, I mean, instead of taking 270, just stay on 71!

nilbog21

Banned
rofl im watching thbe IGN league for the first time; I cant watch this because of how bad the casting it

anyone getting sick of paying 10$ for a gomtv pass and still having to watch ads? especially in the light that the gom player is buggy as fuck and everytime u select a different game it loads the first game again, of course after showing you ANOTHER ad, and then watching ONE MORE just to get the right game to load up. ughh i can't believe i keep paying for this shit

Slavik81

nilbog21 said:
rofl im watching thbe IGN league for the first time; I cant watch this because of how bad the casting it
Is it actually odd to put 6 on gas when 3-gate expanding as Protoss? They kept talking about it as if it were incredibly strange. Admittedly, he ended up having a ridiculous amount of gas, since he expanded before his 2nd gate even finished, but still.

nilbog21 said:
anyone getting sick of paying 10$ for a gomtv pass and still having to watch ads? especially in the light that the gom player is buggy as fuck and everytime u select a different game it loads the first game again, of course after showing you ANOTHER ad, and then watching ONE MORE just to get the right game to load up. ughh i can't believe i keep paying for this shit
What ads?

BigAT

nilbog21 said:

Firefox + AdBlock Pro. Or drop the extra 10 bucks for no ads.

Alright, my buddy just bought the game, and just registered for neoGAF. How long until he gets approved, lol. In either case he will be in the channel, and we got to train him up if we can.

nilbog21

Banned
BigAT said:
Firefox + AdBlock Pro. Or drop the extra 10 bucks for no ads.

for some reason my ABP doesnt work.. when I try to open a stream from TL (justin.tv,etc) the video fails to load. Do you know how i can make this work? ^^

Awesome Animals said:
Alright, my buddy just bought the game, and just registered for neoGAF. How long until he gets approved, lol. In either case he will be in the channel, and we got to train him up if we can.

lol indeed

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Awesome Animals said:
yea, took me three months I believe. I was joking because I know the approval is pretty sporadic.
Took me like 6 months, and with E3 soon, I imagine nothing soon with server loads max soon.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
The admin who goes through the applications is very lax about it generally. Sometimes he'll sort through and do the very obvious admissions every 6 months or so but a lot of them get skimmed through for quite a while and are left there for much longer. It's really a crapshoot getting in unless you have an inside man =p

Keikaku

I just finished installing my new SSD into my comp, re-downloaded SC2 and installed it and decided "Hey, why not play a few games?" I've played exactly 2 games and lost both when I should have won EASILY because I'm playing stupidly.

I have money, I have gas (EDIT: well, sometimes . . . ), I have the tech I need to beat my opponent, I just can't seem to stay on top of my unit production and upgrades. It's getting ridiculous. Panda, I know I talked to you on Mumble about getting coached, but I could really use some advice. I feel really god-awful about playing more, simply because I can see where I suck every time, I just can't seem to get myself to fix it.

I've uploaded my last 2 games/losses below. You can see that, for some mystical reason, I pretty much hand the game to my opponent after either fending off rushes or outright crushing his army. I have expos, I have drones, I just don't inject/keep building units. FML.

Game 1 vs. a Cheesy Protoss.
Game 2 where I bumble around like a retard and lose a game where I should be crushing this fool.

Help, please. I have to do some work for school today, but I should be on Wednesday evening. Any practice games and/or coaching would be useful.

EDIT: Just rewatching the replays is making me foam at the mouth. This must be what Yoshi feels like all the time.

zoukka said:
Took me a couple of days... GAF gold baby.

Looks like talking about the secret membership gets you banned
That is not an admission, I swear!

In either case, I told my buddy to lurk a bit, got him in the NeoGAF chat channel, and told Aylinato to help him out if he asks since he was the only one in mumble. I told him about teamliquid.net, and about streams and watching progamers and such. Now to get him on Mumble. I told him to come to GAF night (tonight? or was it moved to wednesday?), which means he will be forced to play, and get a bit of coaching up. Unfortunately, I think I am not in a position to help him.

P.S. Protoss is super imbalanced, and so easy.

jasonng

Keikaku said:
I just finished installing my new SSD into my comp, re-downloaded SC2 and installed it and decided "Hey, why not play a few games?" I've played exactly 2 games and lost both when I should have won EASILY because I'm playing stupidly.

I have money, I have gas (EDIT: well, sometimes . . . ), I have the tech I need to beat my opponent, I just can't seem to stay on top of my unit production and upgrades. It's getting ridiculous. Panda, I know I talked to you on Mumble about getting coached, but I could really use some advice. I feel really god-awful about playing more, simply because I can see where I suck every time, I just can't seem to get myself to fix it.

I've uploaded my last 2 games/losses below. You can see that, for some mystical reason, I pretty much hand the game to my opponent after either fending off rushes or outright crushing his army. I have expos, I have drones, I just don't inject/keep building units. FML.

Game 1 vs. a Cheesy Protoss.
Game 2 where I bumble around like a retard and lose a game where I should be crushing this fool.

Help, please. I have to do some work for school today, but I should be on Wednesday evening. Any practice games and/or coaching would be useful.

EDIT: Just rewatching the replays is making me foam at the mouth. This must be what Yoshi feels like all the time.
Fellow Gold Zerg here, watched the first replay. You knew what you did wrong so you know where to improve on. I share your frustration with cannon cheese and like you I tend to assume that protoss would straight tech to voidrays after a failed cheese. However, I still think that evo chamber with two spore was too early and too much of an investment when you needed to equalize your economy. And even then if he decided to push with four voids those spores wouldnt completely fend them off. Were you afraid of DTs maybe?

Get used to sacrificing overlords, the information you can get is so crucial in your reaction to your opponent. Also I like to keep a zergling right below the ramp or near their natural so I know when they are pushing out with an army. Also, take out their probes with your runby zerglings. You had the chance a couple of times.

Awesome Animals said:
I told him to come to GAF night (tonight? or was it moved to wednesday?), which means he will be forced to play, and get a bit of coaching up. Unfortunately, I think I am not in a position to help him.

Wait people actually do 1v1's on GAF night? When i showed up all anyone did was play one of mrmister's maps. Haven't really been back since, i guess i should probably get around to that.

Awesome Animals said:
P.S. Protoss is super imbalanced, and so easy.

My friend had a terran rage at him at the end of a match for playing protoss.

I find it highly amusing to watch a terran who built nothing but marauders (and like maybe 4 vikings) with no up upgrades complain when he loses to zealot/stalker/sentry/colo with 2/2 upgrades.

The fact that he had only 38 or so scv's in over 20 minutes of play just made it funnier.

Deadman

Played a few games today with a new keyboard (filco) and its so much nicer than the old and busted one i had before. Im also pretty sure that when i hold down the z key to build lots of zerglings that its going faster than before.

So I felt ZvZ got really stale and far too retarded with the patch that buffed Infestors to no end and Roach/Infestor has become too much of a mainstay in that matchup. While it was a lot of fun to use when people didn't realize the metagame has shifted with the patch, now that most matches have evolved into who has more infestors/who gets the luckier fungals off, I frankly am no longer willing to continue that trend.

so after a bit of mucking around in the unit test map I found out that burrowed banes can kill roaches below cost (20 banes can kill 20-25 roaches if you hit them right.), so I tried making ling/bling muta work again and I find it's fairly successful.

you be the judge:
http://cl.ly/6o5T

it's my first game with this unit combination. Let me know what you think or what areas could be improved upon -- or if I simply got lucky :)

AdventureRacing said:
Wait people actually do 1v1's on GAF night? When i showed up all anyone did was play one of mrmister's maps. Haven't really been back since, i guess i should probably get around to that.

Usually new players to GAF night are forced into a 1v1 with obs.

AdventureRacing said:
My friend had a terran rage at him at the end of a match for playing protoss.

I find it highly amusing to watch a terran who built nothing but marauders (and like maybe 4 vikings) with no up upgrades complain when he loses to zealot/stalker/sentry/colo with 2/2 upgrades.

The fact that he had only 38 or so scv's in over 20 minutes of play just made it funnier.

And I was trolling more so than actually complaining :p

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mescalineeyes said:
yes I totally realize that, but mutas are fairly good to get rid of those.
im more worried about the timing before spire, since thats usually when roaches are coming for you.

@keikaku, im watching your games now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Elcheris

Neo Member
You may want to try getting a quick +1 attack for your lings to keep pressure on in the early game so you can keep the roach count low and delay any tech of theirs with this. However, if you get a map with tightly protected expansions it would be hard to continue pressure once roaches are on the field.

The main problem with ling+bane is that one fungal will erase any of those units from the game, im not sure if I would rely too much on burrowed banes to take care of their army. I have to agree with panda in that the trick would only work once on an opponent (at least a smart one). Going spire to deal with overseers is indeed a fairly large risk, unless you manage to do it while applying pressure or getting a spine crawler forest with some queens. For a long game plan you could do this opening and use your unit composition to gain map control, punishing any attacks with counterattacks and delaying until you eventually get some ultra's in your mix.

Overall I do like the idea and think it is a viable strategy for ZvZ, you'll just have to deal with the other zerg like you do a protoss player (limit their army count or spread out their slow forces with multi-prong aggression). Let me know how this turns out, im willing to watch some replays and help out!

Elcheris said:
Overall I do like the idea and think it is a viable strategy for ZvZ, you'll just have to deal with the other zerg like you do a protoss player (limit their army count or spread out their slow forces with multi-prong aggression). Let me know how this turns out, im willing to watch some replays and help out!

thank you kindly for your feedback <3 there is a replay up there, I am not sure if you've seen it. here's the link again: http://cl.ly/6o5T

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Awesome Animals said:
Oh? I like that. I really like that.
Thank you! :) I can thank GAF for the name

Yoshichan

Awesome Animals said:
Were you required to purchase the name change? Or was that the one free one? The character limit upsets me because I am forced to leave out letters of my name :(
I used my free one :)! Character limit sucks :( How many letters are you restricted too?

Won

"Could have won if I had more time" is my new favorite excuse for losing. The wonders of b.net.

Also nothing wrong with "someanimal".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom