• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Keikaku said:
Panda, seeing as how you looked at my replays, what are your thoughts?
its tough to say. probably the most accurate assessment would be that you are easily distracted/influenced in your play.

in the protoss game, i would never have thought to pull drones for a pylon like that if i was opening 14/14 and hadn't scouted forge yet. but you did and i guess it worked out, so maybe you see cannon rushes like that often i dunno.

after that you just didnt build any drones. you worked so hard to secure your lowground with drone pulls, fast speedling and 2 hatcheries [1 after the first was destroyed], but you never actually made use of your expo. it never had a queen and never had more than 6 workers mining.

you got your speedling and managed to deny the possibility of toss fast expanding, but you then transitioned into roach play on hatch tech as if you were planning a bust, but used the roaches defensively. why? its commonly accepted that speedling is the best general purpose response to one base play, so if you weren't going for an aggressive bust with roaches, why get roaches? if you were planning an aggressive bust, why get ling speed so quickly?

you then went evo +double crawler in main and lair, why? at that point you knew he barely had a gateway so why get evo and lair? typically you would only get evo if you planned to delay lair for more droning, but you got it and lair and then why two spores in your main? at 2hatch queen production, 1 spore can provide a line of defense and protection against dt harass. if you wanted 2 spore, why were both in the main? its like you had already written off your natural before he ever showed his gateway army and destroyed it.

when the gateway army did show, you immediately rebuilt the natural and still didnt attempt to use it. also your only use of your fast lair seemed to be to get a late roach speed upgrade.

it just seemed like you need to be in your own ear saying: 'what do i want to do', 'why am i doing this' and 'how does it help me do what i want to do'.

as for the terran game, the problem was completely different [hence my confusion and reluctance to nail down any one issue], in that game you knew what you wanted to do. you wanted to do big ling/bane defensive play while you expanded and teched to brood. admirable, if risky. you probably shouldn't have neglected your upgrades on your lings, since they do carry over into broodlord tech. you stuck to using what you had available through your techtree and tried to solve problems with smart backteching into muta vs drop and tank play and later into infestor. i think you took alot of big risks with the ling/bane/corruptor midgame, but you weren't harshly punished for it, your mass expanding wasn't greatly hurt as you were keeping good tabs on terrans 3rd timing. i think you probably could have prioritized gases at your new bases though.

you had one big brood lord push that died because you had no anti air to stop his vikings and after that you just sort of petered out as your injects faltered. its a problem alot of zergs have, myself included. this seemed like a pretty standard loss though, all things considered. you could win this game next time by just refining what you were already doing.

BigAT

nilbog21 said:
Guys i'm trying to read what you guys are arguing about but I just don't understand...
I played through Brood War a couple times and I still don't have a fucking clue what is going on.

Keikaku

Pandaman said:
Awsome, useful info.

Thanks a lot Panda. I really needed someone to give me an honest assessment of my play.

Regarding the 1st game, I was pretty sure that he was going to plant a cannon once his probe didn't leave, even after I brought a couple of drones down. If his goal was just to deny my expo, I assumed that the probe would have left like almost every other Protoss does after planting their pylon. Once I saw that the probe was staying, I brought my drones down. After that, I assumed he was going to switch to VRs since that is the most common cheese I encounter from Protoss at my level. At least 4/5 P's who try a cannon cheese then switch to 2-3 VRs of 1 base to kill me.

Other than that, yeah, I was kinda confused. I didn't really know what to do and, in my panic, I missed injects, missed overlords and didn't drone up. It was dumb. 2nd game went pretty much as you explained.

I have fixes to make but your advice about always questioning what I'm doing and remaining focused is good advice.

Thanks again!

Damn MLG sounds awesome thus far, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up. Please lord, tell me they fixed the stream. And please lord, give them a LAN version of StarCraft 2

also I forgot, how many players advance from the pools?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Hey GAF, Protoss is underpowered

Come at me
7w9Af.gif

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Also, don't invite Artosis to our chat channel.
Apparently it lags the player while in game.

"Worthless human beings."

PhoenixDark said:
also I forgot, how many players advance from the pools?

All of them. But top 4 or 8 end up in the top bracket. The rest seed into the lower / losers bracket.

edit: er, thats how it was in Dallas. Is their an open tournament at Columbus? God this is confusing.

edit x2: okay its more or less the same, with open placements being a sixth player in each pool. Makes the final tourney bracket weirder though.

Booshka

StopMakingSense said:
All of them. But top 4 or 8 end up in the top bracket. The rest seed into the lower / losers bracket.

edit: er, thats how it was in Dallas. Is their an open tournament at Columbus? God this is confusing.

edit x2: okay its more or less the same, with open placements being a sixth player in each pool. Makes the final tourney bracket weirder though.
I think it is 8 from Pool play go to Winners bracket then the rest go to losers. The Top 2 records from each pool.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
slidewinder said:
Artosis should just switch back to Zerg if he's going to be shitty anyways.
But he knows things :[

*HuK just beat CutefOu on Tal'Darim in a 48 minute PvT. Woooooooooow
He played REALLY WELL. HuK I am shock.

Ashhong

oh shit looks like he got proxy gated but has a canon ftw!

edit: damn..what a shame. not sure why he didnt build at least one more canon up front to protect his gate/forge though. i think that would have made a huge difference

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Wow I guess you need that front placement for that cannon. 300 for a single cannon seems to be too much for PvP.

Rank 1 Masters Terran now, now NEX or fOu. HuK better crush him ( KannaIsOld )

Haunted

Gretorp is good, but not good enough to warrant top 16 in the current MLG player pool.

He went 1-5 at Dallas. First 0-4 in his pool play, won a Bo3 against Optikzero, then got eliminated against Haypro.

Pretty terrible performance compared to any of the Open Bracket players who had to go at least 9-1 to even reach that point in the brackets where Gretorp got by going 0-4. >_> Fucking MLG system, seriously.

MrMister said:
http://i.imgur.com/lOAXv.png[IMG]

The 24th weekly Starcraft II GAF night! I'll actually be on tonight!

TOURNEY INFO THIS WEEKEND, CERTAIN SPECIFICS ARE BEING WORKED OUT TONIGHT![/QUOTE]

Bronze league only tournament? I like that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom