• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terran-GAF...thoughts on the low ground wall?

Is it worth using in a TvP or TvT matchup? I feel that in a TvZ matchup, it isn't worth it unless you feel confident a baneling bust isn't happening, or if you also wall at the top (which seems counter-productive).

Holden

Spl1nter said:
qxc spanked him like a little scrub, holden being a massive scrub confirmed.

dude wtf, ur the one in DIAMOND league, casual.

Awesome Animals said:

Is it worth using in a TvP or TvT matchup? I feel that in a TvZ matchup, it isn't worth it unless you feel confident a baneling bust isn't happening, or if you also wall at the top (which seems counter-productive).

i dont think that works on MLG maps :eek:

Won

Awesome Animals said:

It's decent for making Zerg a bit more uncomfortable as they already are. And we all know that's all that really matters.

nilbog21

Banned
Haunted said:
Gretorp is good, but not good enough to warrant top 16 in the current MLG player pool.

He went 1-5 at Dallas. First 0-4 in his pool play, won a Bo3 against Optikzero, then got eliminated against Haypro.

Pretty terrible performance compared to any of the Open Bracket players who had to go at least 9-1 to even reach that point in the brackets where Gretorp got by going 0-4. >_> Fucking MLG system, seriously.

beating optikzero in a bo3 is prety dam good...

HolyCheck said:
zelda > starcraft

hm, i would agree with this if the puzzles were a little more complex than lighting two torches to open a door

BigAT

nilbog21 said:
beating optikzero in a bo3 is prety dam good...r
Not when it's the only single game you win and others had to win 8-10 bo3's to finish in the same spot.

Awesome Animals said:

It's definitely fantastic for denying information, your opponent wont' have a clue what build you're going for. The trade off is obviously that you're less secure than you'd normally be. For TvP, a stalker can pretty easily outrange you and safely knock down your depot. Marines/Marauders can open it rather quickly as well if you're facing an early bio push. I don't really think it's that much weaker against an early baneling bust, in either case it's just a matter of blowing up a single depot to get in.

Personally when I see it in TvT it causes me to be more aggressive because it usually means that my opponent is teching hard and doesn't want me to know. That's some meta-game stuff that I wouldn't worry about at your level though. I would definitely recommend you try it out and see how it works for you, it can be very good in a decent number of situations.

jasonng

Awesome Animals said:

Can be very effective against zerg since you can easily hide a 2 rax push/all-in or a 6 rax when the zerg goes for a fast expand. Your building scv is very vulnerable though since the distance is further away from the CC and a scout can harass it.

Elcheris

Neo Member
The low ground wall is good for concealing information. However, it also is a big red alert to the zerg saying 'WHAT THE HELL IS HE HIDING THIS MAKES ME ANGRY'. The downside is roaches will demolish it with ease and it leaves you vulnerable to that type of pressure

Haunted

nilbog21 said:
beating optikzero in a bo3 is prety dam good...
Not a good enough reason to get seeded (well, Top 18), though. Especially with the quality of the lineup and considering the performance of the open bracket players.

Vibe 10-2 - beating ThisisJimmy, Painuser, LzGamer
dde 9-2 - beating Grubby
Gretorp 1-5 - beating Optikzero
Spades 8-2 - beating Hawk, Hashe, Kawaiirice
Kawaiirice 9-2 - beating StrifeCro, MasterAsia
ThisisJimmy - 8-2 - beating Antimage, Zelniq

Guess which one got the highest seed. >_>

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Haunted said:
Not a good enough reason to get seeded (well, Top 18), though. Especially with the quality of the lineup and considering the performance of the open bracket players.

qxc 9-2
Vibe 10-2
dde 9-2
Gretorp 1-5
LzGamer 9-2
Kawaiirice 9-2

Guess which one got the highest seed. >_>

I don't even want to check.. but assuming its Gretorp, that is disgusting.

Haunted

It is.

I'll add some more of the players these guys beat on their way for perspective.

Also my mistake, qxc doesn't belong in that list (he came from the open pool, went 2-4 and isn't seeded).

Yea, I was just reading about it on tl and thought I would share and see others thoughts. I'll try it out a bit, but I definitely didn't consider the vision it allows my opponent. In either case, being in bronze league, means it doesn't matter much. I keep facing people who one base and don't scout.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Haunted said:
It is.

I'll add some more of the players these guys beat on their way for perspective.

Also my mistake, qxc doesn't belong in that list (he came from the open pool, went 2-4 and isn't seeded).

ah ok, qxc has been in a bit of a slump recently, but I'll let that slide what with him having moved to spain for studies.

New game, new win!

What did I do good? What did I do reeeeally bad? Any improvements from my side from my last games? I still got a problem managing my resources and all that. Should've probably gotten some more things from the engineering bay.

And I just gotta say that I LOVE siege tanks. Their range is just crazy.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cg87jwtjsomj78x

BigAT

Trickster said:
As a protoss, how should I handle another protoss if he's turtling up with cannons and go heavy voidrays + carriers?
The textbook answer is probably to expand aggressively and out econ him.

Fuck the textbook though, I would say blink stalkers would seem to be very effective. Get vision on his ramp with one, then warp in and stroll past the cannons. Get an observer to give you vision away from his ramp if you really want to laugh at him. Or, and I'm not really sure how effective this would be, but maybe a couple of Immortals to bust down his cannons with Stalkers to deal with the air?

jasonng

Sniper McBlaze said:
New game, new win!

What did I do good? What did I do reeeeally bad? Any improvements from my side from my last games? I still got a problem managing my resources and all that. Should've probably gotten some more things from the engineering bay.

You certainly improved from the last replay I saw. A few things:

- Why did you keep sending a scv to scout the back of your base? If you've kept your eye on the minimap you would know that a scout never entered your base. If you're that paranoid though, just build a supply depot there. Instant vision.

- You're still not getting that orbital command soon enough. Unless you're going for a very specific build, always go for that 15-16 orbital

- You've built way too many production buildings for one base to sustain. EXPAND. This is something you'll learn easily eventually. When you start learning build orders, you'll be comfortable expanding.

- General rule of thumb, if you're going for more than one factory or starport, get two gas refineries beforehand.

- Never queue up multiple supply depots with one scv. It's a very bad habit and it's completely inefficient. You'll still get supply blocked. Queue up with multiple scvs instead.

Other than though, great job. Keep it up.

WedgeX

Banned
MrMister said:
lOAXv.png

The 24th weekly Starcraft II GAF night! I'll actually be on tonight!

TOURNEY INFO THIS WEEKEND, CERTAIN SPECIFICS ARE BEING WORKED OUT TONIGHT!

wtf.gif

Mathematical!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sniper McBlaze said:
New game, new win!

Overall a much bigger improvement. I'll go through the details on PM in Battle.net later on if you want :) Just one thing I REALLY need you to know:

GRAB STIMPACK!!!! Your huge bio ball can become 10x better with the stimpack upgrade. We'll give you some stim practice when you're up for it later on :)

WedgeX

Banned
GAF NIGHT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Get on mumble. Get in the game. Get in the channel. Play with your fellow GAFfers.

Now!

Keikaku

Awesome Animals said:
How do I counter Tanks. I see someone get tanks, and I don't know how to proceed.

You play terran, right? I would suggest getting your own tanks, taking the air superiority with Vikings and mixing in more Marauders. When you have the air superiority, you should be able to out-range his tank line and make him spend scans to allow his tanks to shoot at yours. Marauders will be able to tank damage better too.

If it's more of a mid/late game scenario, Banshees or BCs help a lot as you can force him to move/abandon his position on the map.

WedgeX

Banned
Awesome Animals said:
How do I counter Tanks. I see someone get tanks, and I don't know how to proceed.

Also, unsieged tanks have higher dps than sieged tanks. So one on one you will win by charging them.

Chris R

So I think my account was hacked (same email/pw as PSN... but with an authenticator) :| Tried to log in today and nothing worked. Changed my password and my authenticator still didn't let me in my account :| I have two different authenticators, (well, 3, but I haven't used my physical one in forever due to fearing the battery giving out) one on my ipod and one on my android phone and neither code would let me in. Started account recovery process :| sucks because I wanted to play tonight.

edit: Blizzard says it wasn't hacked... but neither of my authenticators is working :| Guess I have to call them tomorrow or something.

Slavik81

Artosis: I'll build a cannon, since I don't know he isn't going DTs. I don't like to take risks. I'll leave that to Protosses that win tournaments.

I love his stream.

Trasher

So all my RealID friends have been removed after I downloaded the patch, and it won't let me add RealID friends. Cool, Blizz...

Trickster

What's a good way to play a macro game agains't a zerg as protoss? I just feel like the zerg can expand a lot easier due to their army mobilty, making it hard to harass expos. Thus allowing them to quickly get a better economy while forcing me to stay on two bases because of the fear of muta harrass.

So even if I get a sizeable army, move out and beat the zerg in the initial confrontation, I still end up loosing because the zerg can make a new army very quickly.

Vaporak

Trickster said:
What's a good way to play a macro game agains't a zerg as protoss? I just feel like the zerg can expand a lot easier due to their army mobilty, making it hard to harass expos. Thus allowing them to quickly get a better economy while forcing me to stay on two bases because of the fear of muta harrass.

So even if I get a sizeable army, move out and beat the zerg in the initial confrontation, I still end up loosing because the zerg can make a new army very quickly.

Very carefully and with lots of scouting. I suggest getting hallucination pretty quickly and just sending off a phoenix flying around the map about once a minute or two, or when you're about to do some transition just to keep an eye on tech switches and expansion timings. Finding a spire and him going mutas, you can get blink for a smaller investment and have a mobile enough army to secure your third. Mutas pretty much kill you if you get caught with your pants down, but defensive blink -> HT/Archon makes is manageable.

Kodiak690

Neo Member
I haven't played for months.. Is there a decent website to use to get caught up on changes and current strategies so I can get back into it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom