• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parapa said:
Hello Teamliquid

My name is Chae Jung Won and I’m both GSL Code S commentator and manager of GSL operation team.

I’ve been reading the recent threads which have been posted at teamliquid.net.
Lot of foreign players have listed the reasons for why it’s difficult for them to come to Korea and participate in GSL. While I understand some of these, I do not understand others.

First of all I want make it clear that the purpose of this thread is not to rebut the posts I mentioned above. The decision whether to make sacrifices to attend a tournament which is extremely competitive or not is completely up to one’s own and I respect that. The only thing I’m upset about is that most of the reasons mentioned are something GOMTV can’t solve(I doubt anyone can), and as for the problems that can be solved, GOMTV is doing its best to find solution.
It’s just that this is easier said than done, because there are many things that needs to be considered, lot more than people realize.

Think of it this way. Let’s assume that there is backward universe; There is LAN tournament with equivalent size and prize pool as GSL in USA and tournaments in Korea are mostly online. If MVP, MC, Nestea and MKP were to be invited to States to participate in LAN tournament for a month(and they will be provided a place to sleep and practice like GOMTV is providing now), would they decide to go to US?
I am 100% confident that they would go. They will all fly to States to achieve their dream. Why? Simple : The tournament is worth the effort and these players have the skill to win. If you win you receive 50 thousand dollars and gain popularity from Starcraft2 fans all around the world. Barriers such as “culture/language difference” are worth enduring for such fame and money and should not be a big problem. Such barriers can be overcome if one is willing to put effort.

I am also aware that reaction on Korean community sites about foreign players declining invitation to Super Tournament because of its schedule have been translated and posted on teamliquid.net.
There seems to be misunderstanding and it must be made clear that those opinions were solely about Super Tournament. I understand that in GSL regular season, making it to Code S beginning from Code A is very difficult for foreign players as there is too much to risk, and that is why we made League Exchange program with MLG. However my interview that was posted on PlayXP was response regarding an anonymous Fnatic person’s answer concerning Super Tournament, who gave reasons such as “1month is too long” “prize pool is not deep enough” “there is language barrier”. I was little startled when the interview was posted as the tone was much more aggressive than I actually had felt. At the time I was doing the interview, my feelings were more like “hmm? Interesting”.

Now enough about the misunderstanding, as I’m sure many of you are tired of it as there was discussion thread about it for a week. I’ll move on the good news.

As many of you are aware new GSL format will be applied in July.
I’ve read many posts on teamliquid.net that people want to see more GSTL and also poll between GSL and GSTL.
There have been many same requests from Koreans too and after long consideration I have changed the format more focusing on team leagues.

However the problem with new format is that it makes it difficult for foreign teams to participate in team league as they will have to stay in Korea for 2 months.

I tried my best to solve this problem and although I admit this is not the perfect solution here it is.

Firstly, “Foreign players can now participate as a mercenary in Korean team”.
You may be able to see Jinro or Huk as member of oGs-TL in team league.

Accordingly, foreign players who come to Korea through MLG League Exchange, Rakaka tournament in Sweden, or come by themselves and qualify will not only be able to participate individual league but can also participate in GSTL as part of Korean team.

I cannot “force” the Korean teams to accept foreign players to their roster and have them play at least one set per match. However, Korean teams are willing to form alliance or partnership with foreign teams and they have stated that they will be happy to accept if there is any foreign team or player willing to join force. In fact Korean teams are very eager to recruit able foreign players.

If any foreign player who is entering GSL individual league and also wants to be part of team league feel free to contact either me or my assistant John. Through cooperation with Korean teams you will be provided with better practicing environment and opportunity to be part of GSTL.

Also I am open to idea of non-Korean team coming to Korean and play in GSTL. I’ve already received been contacted by certain team showing great interest and will soon make an announcement which will be huge surprise to many of you.

I have provided “opportunity” through “system”, and “opportunity” is all that I can provide. Creating “results” is not my job but up to the players themselves, through their will and amount of practice.

Super Tournament is being held at the moment.
I am always open to your opinions.
I do not want SC2 to be just Korean e-sports thing like Brood War was.
My goal is to make a league which viewers all around the world can enjoy and get hyped when watching.

I was 1st generation pro-gamer myself(I’m still in TLPD) and have been working in e-sports over 10 years.

Many of things that are happening now in e-sports are changes that never happened in past 10 years. I’m sure that you too feel that e-sports is evolving rapidly.
If e-sports players and technology is running at 100km/h and if GSL and other tournaments can keep up with the speed we can create many wonderful things which we only dreamed of past 10 years.

I’m always grateful to viewers who watch GSL. I will soon get back to you with great news Also I will be attending MLG Columbus together with players from Korea. I have decided to go to MLG to witness the enthusiasm of American fans with my own eyes.

Thank you

via teamliquid.net

My money is now on sixjax or EG.

It's actually pretty disheartening that he takes such opinions found in the cease pool that is the TL forums to heart. He shouldn't care about opinions of those who want the easy money and continue pursuing the goal to find the most serious and passionate players who are willing to make the sacrifice that it takes to be the best in the world.

Although I'm really excited of what the announcements are, GOMTV has been making great decisions.

Keep doing what you do best GOM, providing the best and most entertaining SC2 show out there with the best value.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I’m always grateful to viewers who watch GSL. I will soon get back to you with great news Also I will be attending MLG Columbus together with players from Korea. I have decided to go to MLG to witness the enthusiasm of American fans with my own eyes.

Thank you

is the best part. will be awesome for him first hand to see differences

Deadly

EG always did want a team house in Korea..Maybe? Except for Idra though I don't really see them in Code S, Code A yeah. As for the "merc" system thing for GSTL's that's kinda cool. There are bound to be some players from other teams that can be very useful to the Korean ones. I'm guessing they're all going to aim for the better teams though so teams like Zenex will kinda be left out since they aren't amazing in majority.

pieatorium said:
My money is on Dignitas or Root, Catz is tired of koreans stealing his money so he is going to go steal theirs LOL

I only say sixjax because it's Artosis' team, and EG because of the whole 'conspiracy' behind iNcontrol leaving SotG

TheThunder said:
It's actually pretty disheartening that he takes such opinions found in the cease pool that is the TL forums to heart. He shouldn't care about opinions of those who want the easy money and continue pursuing the goal to find the most serious and passionate players who are willing to make the sacrifice that it takes to be the best in the world.

IDK, some players have been vocal about not being interested in Korea unless they had a Code S spot, or not at all.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hmm, anyone know if David Kim plays SC2 lately?

mescalineeyes said:
ITG is a conspiracy now? Cool.
It's boring and pointless imo, DJWheats fetish with call ins doesn't work for this kind of show and the questions he chooses from the emails or whatever aren't much better because he has no understanding of the game.

Awesome Animals said:
IDK, some players have been vocal about not being interested in Korea unless they had a Code S spot, or not at all.
Most of those players don't deserve to be in code A let alone code S, so their opinion on what they want is irrelevant and they should continue doing whatever the hell they do.

TheThunder said:
Most of those players don't deserve to be in code A let alone code S, so their opinion on what they want is irrelevant and they should continue doing whatever the hell they do.
yeah I really hope Naniwa gets top 4 in this MLG and gets a code A spot. After he said on sotg he would go even if he didn't get the free ride I'm really hoping he does well.

edit: he has a good chance too since everyone else in his group is snaftastic.

pieatorium said:
yeah I really hope Naniwa gets top 4 in this MLG and gets a code A spot. After he said on sotg he would go even if he didn't get the free ride I'm really hoping he does well.

You bring up a good point. Naniwa did say on SotG he had some plans to go regardless of MLS Columbus. Maybe these are his plans? So maybe Team Dignitas is the team that is setting up in Korea?

hamchan

Deadly said:
EG always did want a team house in Korea..Maybe? Except for Idra though I don't really see them in Code S, Code A yeah. As for the "merc" system thing for GSTL's that's kinda cool. There are bound to be some players from other teams that can be very useful to the Korean ones. I'm guessing they're all going to aim for the better teams though so teams like Zenex will kinda be left out since they aren't amazing in majority.

Better teams might not want or need the foreign players though.

Hugoboss21 said:

David Kim is so pro, he's probably one of the best players in the world ><

INCOMING RANT

This game does nothing but serve to piss me off. Every Terran I play goes either blue flame helions into banshees or 2port banshees. I generally can fend it off until they decide "well fuck it, I'm brining my SCVs this time." and manage to win.

It would be awesome if Zerg could make a single unit the early game that could win the game by only having a few of them, or maybe be able to scout Terran beyond "well, that's definitely a barracks and two supply depots there."

Q_Q

Haunted

ShallNoiseUpon said:
INCOMING RANT

This game does nothing but serve to piss me off. Every Terran I play goes either blue flame helions into banshees or 2port banshees. I generally can fend it off until they decide "well fuck it, I'm brining my SCVs this time." and manage to win.

It would be awesome if Zerg could make a single unit the early game that could win the game by only having a few of them, or maybe be able to scout Terran beyond "well, that's definitely a barracks and two supply depots there."

Q_Q
Spores and Spines, Spines and Spores.

Zerg's static defences are underrated. So many players who want to skimp on the Spines and Spores to save 1 or 2 drones and then lose 10+ when harassed because the Queens don't deal the damage fast enough.

/bronze player
but masters spectator oh yeah

zlatko

Banned
ShallNoiseUpon said:
INCOMING RANT

Q_Q

What league are you in?

I feel platinum and below you can afford to dump your money into spores and spines, and not go mass droning non stop early game, because the Terrans who are doing that play either A) Don't know how to macro B) Are betting all their money that this will kill you. When their shit bombs they start piling up tons of dough, forget to make SCVs, get supply blocked, and don't have enough unit structures or upgrades.

Here's my scouting tips as Zerg as a Gold player, and I do this every game in ZvT and ZvP---and it works in these leagues, but I imagine Diamond and higher it won't, but wait till you are there to start fine tuning. Depending on map my first overlord goes to the nearest base to see if that's where he is, at 9 or 10 supply I send out a drone to check the other 3 spots. Once he's in I set up a ton of rally points and try to keep him alive as long as I can. Odds are you'll either delay what they want to do until it is dead or they will be stupid enough to keep going on with their BO so you can see it. The second your drone dies is when you want to have an overlord ready to send into his main towards his command center or nexus, but making sure it doesn't go right over where he put his first Rax or gateway. Odds are you'll spot what it is they are going for and you can adjust properly. Don't be afraid with your first lings to send one to a watch tower, and the others to keep constantly poking up and down his ramp. Count what units you're seeing and what shoots back at your lings. If you aren't seeing a lot of marines or marauders, then you know he's doing something factory or star port related. On the other hand if he's shooting you with a ton of marines or marauders, or a tank hits you later on, then you know what he's doing there as well.

Watch your replays too, to see where you should be sending overlords into bases for the best chance to catch what he's doing. Also make sure to spread your overlords around the map to key areas so you can see when shit is coming---WATCH THAT MINI MAP!

There's obviously going to be problems getting a 100% fool proof idea of what your opponent is planning to do, but at lower leagues you can win most games if you hold off that first push and macro up behind it.

Edit: Oh also, I like to get 4 queens if I can. They serve a purpose even if your opponent doesn't go banshee or hellion, since they can spread creep fast to give you vision of the map, and your third and fourth hatcheries will have a queen ready right away.

Deadly

pieatorium said:

What? I hope he fuckin wins the whole thing and goes Code S, he's definitely worthy.

Mairu

pieatorium said:
My money is on Dignitas or Root, Catz is tired of koreans stealing his money so he is going to go steal theirs LOL
dignitas seems the most likely outside of another Euro team. EG isn't going to happen, and I don't think sixjax can really compete

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
ROOT in the GSTL would be hilarious, they would get crushed so hard, apart from Kiwikaki they have noone.

Deadly

Ikuu said:
ROOT in the GSTL would be hilarious, they would get crushed so hard, apart from Kiwikaki they have noone.
You just made me remember that I had a dream where Day9 joined ROOT and I was like what.the.fuck.

a176

Banned
Awesome Animals said:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=226940

Fun experiment going on analyzing the correlation between personality type and race played.

Here is my info:

Race Played: Terran
Personalty: ESFJ
Game type most played: 1v1
How many hours per day spent playing SC: 2
Years spent Playing PC games: 12 years

Started playing SC II a month ago, and want to eventually switch to Zerg/Random.

are you banned from tl or something?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
a176 said:
are you banned from tl or something?
Why do you think that?

zlatko

Banned
Awesome Animals said:
Nope

Can I not share this information with SC-GAF? I thought it would be fun to have a smaller sample as well in the GAF community.

The only things allowed to discuss here are QQ. :)

zlatko said:
What league are you in?

I feel platinum and below you can afford to dump your money into spores and spines, and not go mass droning non stop early game, because the Terrans who are doing that play either A) Don't know how to macro B) Are betting all their money that this will kill you. When their shit bombs they start piling up tons of dough, forget to make SCVs, get supply blocked, and don't have enough unit structures or upgrades.

Here's my scouting tips as Zerg as a Gold player, and I do this every game in ZvT and ZvP---and it works in these leagues, but I imagine Diamond and higher it won't, but wait till you are there to start fine tuning. Depending on map my first overlord goes to the nearest base to see if that's where he is, at 9 or 10 supply I send out a drone to check the other 3 spots. Once he's in I set up a ton of rally points and try to keep him alive as long as I can. Odds are you'll either delay what they want to do until it is dead or they will be stupid enough to keep going on with their BO so you can see it. The second your drone dies is when you want to have an overlord ready to send into his main towards his command center or nexus, but making sure it doesn't go right over where he put his first Rax or gateway. Odds are you'll spot what it is they are going for and you can adjust properly. Don't be afraid with your first lings to send one to a watch tower, and the others to keep constantly poking up and down his ramp. Count what units you're seeing and what shoots back at your lings. If you aren't seeing a lot of marines or marauders, then you know he's doing something factory or star port related. On the other hand if he's shooting you with a ton of marines or marauders, or a tank hits you later on, then you know what he's doing there as well.

Watch your replays too, to see where you should be sending overlords into bases for the best chance to catch what he's doing. Also make sure to spread your overlords around the map to key areas so you can see when shit is coming---WATCH THAT MINI MAP!

There's obviously going to be problems getting a 100% fool proof idea of what your opponent is planning to do, but at lower leagues you can win most games if you hold off that first push and macro up behind it.

Edit: Oh also, I like to get 4 queens if I can. They serve a purpose even if your opponent doesn't go banshee or hellion, since they can spread creep fast to give you vision of the map, and your third and fourth hatcheries will have a queen ready right away.

Platinum, I think I really need to experiment with getting more queens.

zlatko

Banned
ShallNoiseUpon said:
Platinum, I think I really need to experiment with getting more queens.

Watch your replays to see how good your overlord positioning is. Are you REALLY always sacing at least one OL into his base? I always see Idra do this, and that's a good player to base your play off of. When he was commentating on his games, even against players who were doing just pure random shit because they were bad, he knew to a certain extent what to expect. He'd always sac that overlord, because you stand to gain more than lose without ever doing it.

Gas is always the biggest tell that you need to prepare for banshees/hellions. It's not fool proof, but if you keep poking with lings, sac that OL, and don't see much in the way of units, then you should get the fast Lair or build some spores.

Odds are if you're playing against a Terran, then you have a preset style you like to go for. I do the ling/bling/muta myself, so getting a quick lair isn't too big of a deal in Gold League, because I'll need it to get the mutas anyways.

I'm sure Panda would have better advice since he's masters, but when in doubt... go watch some Idra games. :p

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
zlatko said:
Ah that makes sense. :p

I rarely see Panda do ZvT, so I don't know exactly what his game plan is like. :(
i rarely do zvt, so i dont have a game plan. ;_;

i play splinter, sure, but he's not a normal terran.

Yoshichan

So I played my first 5 3v3 in my entire life...

won all 5 by massing marines... got to masters...

is this how I get to be a better player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom