• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Corran Horn said:
It can be fairly simple to get to masters with correct builds and some time.
Yep!

zlatko

Banned
Yoshichan said:
I know lots of people where SC2's been their first RTS and they're Masters ._.

I'm about to hit Platinum, but I naturally lack multi tasking skills. I also play Zerg, and I rarely play. I got into Gold playing casually, but I know going from Gold to masters, would require much more time.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
zlatko said:
<3 SC2 as a spectator sport, but I came to the conclusion that in order to get better at SC2 I have to carve out a LARGE amount of my free time to advance. I feel for my schedule I'd have to drop every other game I play, and ignore any future releases I'm interested in to stay focused. A part of me would like to do that and get into Masters, but the other part of me and the louder voice is that I LOVE videogames and missing out on hot stuff throughout the year like UC3, Dark Souls, Skyrim, Deus Ex, Witcher 2, etc etc is something I don't want to do.

Wish I had played BW over the years before SC2 came out so I could have had natural skills to take over to SC2 and probably be in Diamond, but this is my first RTS, and I'm a sore as fuck loser and someone who doesn't like to half ass things, so playing SC2 casually probably isn't something my ego would let me do. :p
I only had under 10 1v1 games in BW vs friends.

All my 'skill' just comes from seeing hundreds of pro matches and understanding StarCraft related timings and techs and what each each is capable of early on.

Even on TL.net 80% who were D or D- on iCCup (BW internet LAN) got placed into plat when it was the highest you could get into.

As such I've always placed into the highest placement you could despite playing a grand total of something like 12 matches 1v1 ladder for a year.

If you simply watch and look closely at the player responses I think that is more than enough as you can have a very clear plan each game. Same thing as practicing a BO.

*If you are having multi-tasking problems you simply need to develop a rhythm or sequence of events you do.

Count drones
Check mini map
Larva inject
Creep
Check supply
Look at timing and resources
'Can my opponent kill me?'
React

Hazaro said:
If you simply watch and look closely at the player responses I think that is more than enough as you can have a very clear plan each game. Same thing as practicing a BO.

*If you are having multi-tasking problems you simply need to develop a rhythm or sequence of events you do.

Count drones
Check mini map
Larva inject
Creep
Check supply
Look at timing and resources
'Can my opponent kill me?'
React

I know this is probably important but i have never done this lol. I also rarely have any sort of plan or BO beyond 14 hatch or what have you, and i rarely play.

Sometimes i wonder how i win games at all.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
AdventureRacing said:
I know this is probably important but i have never done this lol. I also rarely have any sort of plan or BO beyond 14 hatch or what have you, and i rarely play.

Sometimes i wonder how i win games at all.
I don't do it yet.
It only really hit me I could have too many drones after I made 170 in one game, and 90 on 3 base in another (before having 10 supply of army).

Whoops. At least I won the game where I made 170. Had 105 at the end I think.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm terran, I count the amount of mules I have. Mwhahaa.

Hazaro said:
I don't do it yet.
It only really hit me I could have too many drones after I made 170 in one game, and 90 on 3 base in another (before having 10 supply of army).

Whoops. At least I won the game where I made 170. Had 105 at the end I think.

I have the opposite problem. I will often go back to watch replays and see that i never made more than 70 drones (in really long games too).

I'm never aggresive enough making drones.

Mairu

NASL had a few Koreans fighting European/North Americans. The GeForce tournament is totally 1upping it based on their groups list. I am excited for this tournament, I hope replays are released of games that don't end up getting cast by day9
and Husky ;_;

http://geforce.cevo.com/event/geforce-starcraft-2-pro-am/competitors/3/61/

Lots of SlayerS in that along with IM, ZeNEX, ST, & TSL guys. Idra's group seems crazy: Idra, MVP, Cella, Nerchio, Virus, Junwi, etc. Can't wait to see the games that come out of this ;O

AdventureRacing said:
I have the opposite problem. I will often go back to watch replays and see that i never made more than 70 drones (in really long games too).

I'm never aggresive enough making drones.

70-75 is fairly good, man.
you want to leave some supply for army, yo :D

Dooraven

Mairu said:
NASL had a few Koreans fighting European/North Americans. The GeForce tournament is totally 1upping it based on their groups list. I am excited for this tournament, I hope replays are released of games that don't end up getting cast by day9
and Husky ;_;

http://geforce.cevo.com/event/geforce-starcraft-2-pro-am/competitors/3/61/

Lots of SlayerS in that along with IM, ZeNEX, ST, & TSL guys. Idra's group seems crazy: Idra, MVP, Cella, Nerchio, Virus, Junwi, etc. Can't wait to see the games that come out of this ;O

Wait a international tournament that MC isn't competing in? O_O

Mairu

Dooraven said:
It is an online tournament, and MC travels so much maybe he doesn't have time for it. Kinda weird that no oGs guys at all are signed up I guess.

Dooraven said:

He's also not competing in the NeoGAF 2011 Starcraft II Summer Invitational, hes afraid of the competition.

mescalineeyes said:
70-75 is fairly good, man.
you want to leave some supply for army, yo :D

Guess you're right. I always hear different things about how many drones i should have.

AdventureRacing said:
Guess you're right. I always hear different things about how many drones i should have.

well if you wanna trade armies often, then yeah, you want more.

if you want/can battle him cost-effectively, 70-75 will do.

Dooraven

oh wow Idra's group is stacked

Junwi
MVP
Nericho
Cella
Virus

Cella and Virus are probably the low tier ones. Nericho's ZvZ is really damn good and well MVP

Junwi has pretty great ZvZ too.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
AdventureRacing said:
He's also not competing in the NeoGAF 2011 Starcraft II Summer Invitational, hes afraid of the competition.

80+
aka
4 optimally saturated for minerals + all the gas you can have.

syllogism

mescalineeyes said:
I don't expect great things from idra for a few weeks at least. He seems to be tilting big-time.
I wouldn't expect great things from him until he starts practicing again. He has pretty much not practiced at all since GSL 2, so that's like 8 months of not putting any effort into the game. Lzgamer says all he does is ladder a bit on NA and spends more time in the gym than playing.

syllogism

Hey, still getting better results than all the zergs who actually play the game (see: Morrow who plays all day with some of the top players in europe)

syllogism said:
I wouldn't expect great things from him until he starts practicing again. He has pretty much not practiced at all since GSL 2, so that's like 8 months of not putting any effort into the game. Lzgamer says all he does is ladder a bit on NA and spends more time in the gym than playing.

That made me lol

hamchan

I can see Idra not practicing because he hates this game oh so very much. So I'll mainly judge him from how much money he's made since that's mainly what he cares about.

How much money has he made since leaving Korea anyways? I wonder if would have made more if he stayed in the GSL and had a shot at 50k+ every month. People like MC and Huk can still make it over for most of the major events like Dreamhack and Koreans are still rocking the online tournaments like NASL so I reckon he should have stayed if it was all about the money. Obviously though there's stuff like friends, family etc to consider.

Keikaku

Yes, it's another Summer Invitational Tournament post!

Keikaku said:
ATTENTION SC2-GAF
If you are signed up for the Summer Invitational Tournament, I need you to re-confirm your participation.I want to begin games this Saturday so, if your name is on the list below, please post in this thread AND/OR the tourney registration thread to confirm that you are still attending. If you are an invite to the tourney I will be PM'ing you but, in case you see this post beforehand, help me out.

Invitational Players
  • Trasher
    [*]Chanstaa
    [*]Aylinato
  • Striek
    [*]Corran Horn
    [*]Ultron87
    [*]Vaporak
    [*]Hazaro

[*]Jasonng
    [*]Elcheris
  • Slavik81
    [*]Spl1nter
    [*]Pandaman

[*]BigAT
    [*]Paz
  • Vautrin

Registered Players

• [*]Wedge7
  • Xenien
    [*]SteveWinwood
    [*]Lathentar
    [*]MisterAnderson
    [*]Q8D3vil
  • MrStroke
    [*]Forgotten_Taco
    [*]AdventureRacing
    [*]867-5309
    [*]Hugoboss
    [*]MescalineEyes
    [*]Dynamic3
    [*]ShallNoiseUpon

[*]Twosocks
  • Vasperknight
    [*]Terproerg
    [*]Pankaks
    [*]Ultrabum
    [*]Moemoland

Waitlisted Players
  • Rubashov
  • Fanboi

NeoGAF 2011 Starcraft II Summer Invitational [REGISTRATION THREAD]

EDIT: Bolded are people who have responded, either on Mumble or through the forum. Thanks to everyone who responds!

Thank you to everyone who has responded over the last couple of days. Knowing that you are still interested has meant a lot in terms of my motivation, so job well done! As you can see, we're damn close to getting almost all the initial signups/invites reconfirmed for the tournament. If your name is not bolded, please PM or post in either of the two tourney threads or here. You have a wealth of options!

Additionally, due to some extra sign ups we will be holding Wild Card playoffs to determin the final spot. Those will comprise our first matches and will take place starting next week. Due to popular demand, I am pushing back the start of the tournament to Monday as a lot of people, including our top seeded player, are not available on the weekends.

I will have final brackets up by tonight as I am currently getting ready for school and will be crashing for a bit when I get back home.

Finally, I will be creating a Sandbox folder where people will be required to dump their replays for all non-casted/non-observed matches. Details to follow tonight.

Q8D3vil

hamchan said:
I can see Idra not practicing because he hates this game oh so very much. So I'll mainly judge him from how much money he's made since that's mainly what he cares about.

How much money has he made since leaving Korea anyways? I wonder if would have made more if he stayed in the GSL and had a shot at 50k+ every month. People like MC and Huk can still make it over for most of the major events like Dreamhack and Koreans are still rocking the online tournaments like NASL so I reckon he should have stayed if it was all about the money. Obviously though there's stuff like friends, family etc to consider.
going to korea is not about the money, its about competing with the best. it is the only true way to test your skill.

currently he charge $300 for 1 hour coaching and he get a team salary, so i don't think he is eager to win anything as he already mentioned that he can live of his team salary.

i don't know about eg members, but i heard lazy gamer saying that competing in small (craftcup go4sc2) tournament is not worth his time and he rather do something else instead. if that is the mindset of team eg then this is probably as far as they can get.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
hamchan said:

he's made $4,900 since may + whatever he gets from streaming/coaching.

Deadly

hamchan said:

NASL is a pain in the ass for the Koreans though. Having to wake up at 5am. Also he probably didn't really like staying in Korea. I mean he probably only chilled with Artosis and Tasteless. Besides that he'd practice the whole time. Did he even learn Korean?

V_Arnold

Q8D3vil said:
going to korea is not about the money, its about competing with the best. it is the only true way to test your skill.

currently he charge $300 for 1 hour coaching and he get a team salary, so i don't think he is eager to win anything as he already mentioned that he can live of his team salary.

i don't know about eg members, but i heard lazy gamer saying that competing in small (craftcup go4sc2) tournament is not worth his time and he rather do something else instead. if that is the mindset of team eg then this is probably as far as they can get.

How far? Who was again the highest placed foreigner in the last MLG? EG.Idra?

BigAT

For anyone that signed up for that GeForce Pro/Am Tournament, I just got an email about my first match today, so check your inboxes.

I got a diamond level Protoss, now to decide which race to use...

Rubashov

Finally got rid of my bonus pool in 1v1. I have a feeling I'm about to get promoted to diamond, but I still lose too many dumb games. I was terrible in ZvT last night. Any recommendations on recent zerg players I should study to help with this matchup?

Keikaku

Rubashov said:
Finally got rid of my bonus pool in 1v1. I have a feeling I'm about to get promoted to diamond, but I still lose too many dumb games. I was terrible in ZvT last night. Any recommendations on recent zerg players I should study to help with this matchup?

MVP DongRaeGu is a good one. IM Nestea is also a great Zerg, even though he lost the last ZvT he played. Either will work.

twofold

Rubashov said:

Nerchio. He's been wrecking the best EU Terrans with a rather unique Roach/Ling/Infestor into early Brood Lords style. It doesn't require anywhere as much apm as muta harass does, either.

His openings are also super safe and effective.

Q8D3vil

twofold said:
Nerchio. He's been wrecking the best EU Terrans with a rather unique Roach/Ling/Infestor into early Brood Lords style. It doesn't require anywhere as much apm as muta harass does, either.

His openings are also super safe and effective.
listen to this man.
you just need a good game sense and you can master it easily.

Just got my replaced keyboard delivered to my office. My coworkers get to deal with the clickclack for the rest of the day.

Oh how I've missed the sweet sensation of a mechanical keyboard.

Rubashov said:

you probably didn't make enough mutalisks.

remz

ShallNoiseUpon said:
Just got my replaced keyboard delivered to my office. My coworkers get to deal with the clickclack for the rest of the day.

Oh how I've missed the sweet sensation of a mechanical keyboard.
god yes. I have a das keyboard with the cherry blue switches at home, typing heaven. The sidewinder keyboard I have to type on at work doesn't even compare.

remz said:
god yes. I have a das keyboard with the cherry blue switches at home, typing heaven. The sidewinder keyboard I have to type on at work doesn't even compare.

You mean like this?

:)

vkeCd.jpg

Visualante said:
What happened to Bronze league? :(

I'm being told I'm "Slightly Favoured" against plat, gold and silver players.

Sounds like your MMR is adjusting. The same thing is happening for me right now too, hoping for a damn promotion soon!

And can someone link me to a text site discussing mechanical keyboards. I'm interested.

zoukka

Played a few Toss in ladder and my god what two archons and two HT's with enough mana for storm, can do to Terran.

I was macroing something and a stim push from the rocks in Typhon Peaks came, destroyed my gateway army before I could do anything and yet I managed to kill the whole bioball with said forces :D

Tossi imba.

EDIT: Are those fancy ass "mechanical keyboards" any different from "old ass keyboards"?

Holden

zoukka said:
Played a few Toss in ladder and my god what two archons and two HT's with enough mana for storm, can do to Terran.

I was macroing something and a stim push from the rocks in Typhon Peaks came, destroyed my gateway army before I could do anything and yet I managed to kill the whole bioball with said forces :D

Tossi imba.

EDIT: Are those fancy ass "mechanical keyboards" any different from "old ass keyboards"?

http://i.imgur.com/aPAo8.png

shhhh

btw i heard ghost are pretty good

zoukka said:

Imagine if you killed and angel and skinned it. You then take the dried angel hide and bring it to the cradle of all life somewhere in Africa and stretch the angel hide over a thousand-year-old tree trunk. Imagine if that angel skin drum was a key on your keyboard and you had 103 of them. That is what typing on a mechanical keyboard feels and sounds like.

zoukka

ShallNoiseUpon said:
Imagine if you killed and angel and skinned it. You then take the dried angel hide and bring it to the cradle of all life somewhere in Africa and stretch the angel hide over a thousand-year-old tree trunk. Imagine if that angel skin drum was a key on your keyboard and you had 103 of them. That is what typing on a mechanical keyboard feels and sounds like.

So like my old ass keyboard was back in the 486 days then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom