• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoukka

ShallNoiseUpon said:
Yeah. Everyone is still trying to imitate the IBM Model M in some way.

Well my mind is now blown. You hipsters pay 130 dollars for keyboards that I have lying in my attic :D

What next, single button mechanical ball mouses for that "special feel and feedback"...

syllogism said:
I wouldn't expect great things from him until he starts practicing again. He has pretty much not practiced at all since GSL 2, so that's like 8 months of not putting any effort into the game. Lzgamer says all he does is ladder a bit on NA and spends more time in the gym than playing.

Eventually Idra is going to be left in the dust by better zerg players. He seems to be waiting for Blizzard to wave a magic wand and make the game easier for him - not necessarily for zerg. The infestor change has really had an impact on ZvP yet he ignores it a lot. Some days he'll pressure a toss and win, other days he'll play his standard game and lose; it's like he's doing it just to prove a point.

Oh well. I lost a lot of respect for him after the MC disaster at MLG

V_Arnold

PhoenixDark said:
Eventually Idra is going to be left in the dust by better zerg players. He seems to be waiting for Blizzard to wave a magic wand and make the game easier for him - not necessarily for zerg. The infestor change has really had an impact on ZvP yet he ignores it a lot. Some days he'll pressure a toss and win, other days he'll play his standard game and lose; it's like he's doing it just to prove a point.

Oh well. I lost a lot of respect for him after the MC disaster at MLG

Wah, there are no better Zerg players in the west right now.
Anyways, his pressure game is his new style, the way he lost to MC in Dreamhack is his old style. it is hard to destroy old habits, that is why he will keep struggling, but he will come out better.

Won

zoukka said:
lol people losing respect because of one set of matches. Come creeping back once Idra wins something big next time.

Yeah, there will be another North American only tournament sooner or later.

Zen

Banned
Keikaku said:
Alright people, tentative 1st round matches are below.

The matchups were done using the method that was originally set up (highest vs. lowest). I will be reaching out to people who have issues with the weekend start date or other needs in general due to location, etc. So far, I know that Paz (ezrarh) and Ultrabum have concerns. PMs going out tomorrow.

Additionally, to reduce any potential lag/timeout issues, I would like to make a rule that only the casters and streamer may be in the matches as observers. I don't want people to feel like they were unduly influenced by lag. Everyone else can watch the stream.

MescalineEyes, you said that MrMister forgot about your prize contribution. Please PM me with it if you are still able to donate. Additionally, having a decent prize pool for this tourney like we did for the last one would be awesome so, if you can donate, please PM me.

Still attending, it will be fun :D

ezrarh

zoukka said:
lol people losing respect because of one set of matches. Come creeping back once Idra wins something big next time.

Pretty hard to respect Idra if you know he's still the exact same as he was when he was playing BW but I don't expect many people to know that.

edit: He's still pretty young so he might change for the better...

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
zoukka said:
You mean wins something big for the first time?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ShallNoiseUpon said:
You mean like this?

:)

vkeCd.jpg
Mine will be here soon.
Excite!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm glad I started the mechanical keyboard fad :)
You can send me the bill to my home.

Ikuu

SteveWinwood said:
IPL wasn't big?
As mentioned, it didn't feature the strongest lineup of players. IdrA chokes when it matters and until he stops it, he'll never win anything major.

zoukka

Ikuu said:
You mean wins something big for the first time?

I watch his games against good competition. I don't count his trophys. And yes, he's stubborn as fuck, but every pro has their weaknesses. Just watched a few NesTea games and his micro is embarrassing at times.

Yoshichan said:
I'm glad I started the mechanical keyboard fad :)
You can send me the bill to my home.

I've had mine since earlier this year, but had to send it back because it had a faulty switch.

♥

zoukka said:
Well my mind is now blown. You hipsters pay 130 dollars for keyboards that I have lying in my attic :D

What next, single button mechanical ball mouses for that "special feel and feedback"...

I refuse to believe anyone is actually this stupid.

Jeff-DSA

Ikuu said:
As mentioned, it didn't feature the strongest lineup of players. IdrA chokes when it matters and until he stops it, he'll never win anything major.

There's no player that wins everything every time. IdrA just takes more heat for his losses than anybody else. He's still really young, and he's still fighting his old habits. Give him time and he'll be fine.

ACE 1991

More dumb questions from a total SC2 newbie: As I said yesterday, I've decided to main Protoss and am working on the timing of a 9 pylon 12 gateway opener. The build order finishes with 16 pylon. Where do I go from here? do I construct more gateways to create stalkers/zealots/sentries? Also, how many probes should I be creating? I think I just don't fully understand the flow of the game at this point in time. Thank you!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Constantly make probes. End goal is to have like 60-80 probes. But dont expect to get anywhere near there when you are still learning the game.

Depends on matchup but good timings are like
9 Pylon
12-13 Gateway
14 Assimlator
16 Pylon
18ish Core

Then from here you can go 3 gateway expand, 2 gateway robo, 4 gate etc. Depending on the build determines what you build from the gateways, it is advised to get a zealot and stalker quick tho.
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Protoss_Strategy

ultron87

ACE 1991 said:
More dumb questions from a total SC2 newbie: As I said yesterday, I've decided to main Protoss and am working on the timing of a 9 pylon 12 gateway opener. The build order finishes with 16 pylon. Where do I go from here? do I construct more gateways to create stalkers/zealots/sentries? Also, how many probes should I be creating? I think I just don't fully understand the flow of the game at this point in time. Thank you!

You should always be building probes. You want to have a good number for when you build an expansion (new Nexus at a new mineral patch) so that you can transfer some over and get the base going asap.

Gateway units are good, but at some point you'll want higher tech structures. 2 gateways and a robotics facility on one base is a good starting build that is fairly all purpose.

ACE 1991

Corran Horn said:
Constantly make probes. End goal is to have like 60-80 probes. But dont expect to get anywhere near there when you are still learning the game.

Depends on matchup but good timings are like
9 Pylon
12-13 Gateway
14 Assimlator
16 Pylon
18ish Core

Then from here you can go 3 gateway expand, 2 gateway robo, 4 gate etc. Depending on the build determines what you build from the gateways, it is advised to get a zealot and stalker quick tho.
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Protoss_Strategy

So this would come after I've built up to 18 food, correct? In terms of zealots/stalkers/sentries, when should I consider myself ready to push? Jeez so many things to keep track of in this game!

Thanks for your help, however!

Corran Horn

ACE 1991 said:
So this would come after I've built up to 18 food, correct? In terms of zealots/stalkers/sentries, when should I consider myself ready to push? Jeez so many things to keep track of in this game!

Thanks for your help, however!
For the most are this all comes after 18 food since you need your Core which requires the first gateway to be completed. Again it depends on the build for when you are going to push. 4 gateway build pushes around 6 minutes as its a 1 base all-in type build. the Expand builds kinda rely on the flow of the game alot.

If you go Colossus from the robo, wait till you get like 3-4 colossus, if you go templar it can be alot different.

Corran Horn

Also another tip is to DL pro replays or watch pros/high level players on streams. Doesnt need to be pros, but they are really crisp on their timings. Just watch the start of games and get use to the timings and build orders against different races.

ACE 1991

^

Awesome guys, SC2-GAF seems to be quite a helpful group of folks. I look forward to playing with you all once I understand even a shred of what the fuck I'm doing!

Is the 4-gate push something I should try to master? It seems to be one of the most commonly used Protoss builds.

Corran Horn

ACE 1991 said:
^

Awesome guys, SC2-GAF seems to be quite a helpful group of folks. I look forward to playing with you all once I understand even a shred of what the fuck I'm doing!

Is the 4-gate push something I should try to master? It seems to be one of the most commonly used Protoss builds.
4 gate is a build all protoss should learn. Its not primarily used that much anymore outside of PvP but there are times it can be used against Zerg when they dont expect it.

Also most if not every wednesday gaf plays together (tonight) join NeoGAF chat channel and play with us. We give pointers n stuff to new players. This is on NA, not sure if you are Euro

Deadman

Destiny out of complexity :O

Effective immediately compLexity Gaming is announcing that we have parted ways with Steven “Destiny” Bonnell.

Due to the fact we so recently announced him as a coL.SC2 player, we feel obligated to explain to the coL Community what took place. Mr. Bonnell was invited to join compLexity as part of the ROOT acquisition. He agreed and on June 11, 2011 executed a legally binding contract with our organization. Then, despite being fully aware of what would be expected of him, he decided that he didn’t want to be part of a “big organization.” He refused to honor any of the terms in the contract.

This behavior left us in a difficult position as a management team. Despite Mr. Bonnell’s agreement to exercise solid judgment and professionalism in his trade, some of the polarizing opinions being expressed on his stream were in direct opposition the values compLexity has stood for since 2003. This behavior made our decision clear and Mr. Bonnell has been released from any and all contractual obligations. We apologize to our fans for this situation but strongly believe this is in the best interests of everyone involved. We wish him the best for the future.

Jason Lake
Jason Bass
Scott Ford
Edward Chang
http://www.complexitygaming.com/news/2870/#

Destiny says:
Sorry, I don't want to start any drama or anything, so here's my quip of the story

TL:DR : I signed the contract, I broke the contact, that's a pretty douche move.

Basically there'd been talks of ROOT/Complexity merging for a while, to relieve stress from catz/drewbie, which is cool, it gives them more time to play, etc...

One day, I got a message pretty much saying "hey, that contract is due tonight, you gotta sign it today". I pretty much had half a day to decide whether or not to sign, and it seemed like if I didn't sign, the deal would fall through for the rest of the team. I didn't want to mess up everyone's opportunities to move on with their career just because I felt uncomfortable, and there was nothing -too- objectionable in the contract, so I signed it.

In the following days, I had more time to think about it, and the more I turned it over in my head, the more problems I found with the arrangement, and the more reasons I found not to be associated with a major business SC2 team, at least not at this moment in time. I talked a long time to Catz, and had a few words with Jason, and eventually settled on the conclusion that I wouldn't actually be joining.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=236315&currentpage=7#123

ultron87

ACE 1991 said:

It's a powerful build and will get you out of the lower leagues on the ladder, but it won't teach you how to play the game super well.

You'd be better off trying builds that involve getting an expansion up like the 3-gate expand.

Getting your 4-gate down really well can wait till later.

Ikuu

Haha, he's pretty bad and not really in the position to turn down teams, I guess he's happy with the income from his stream.

cdyhybrid

twofold said:
Nerchio. He's been wrecking the best EU Terrans with a rather unique Roach/Ling/Infestor into early Brood Lords style. It doesn't require anywhere as much apm as muta harass does, either.

His openings are also super safe and effective.

You wouldn't happen to have links to replays/VoDs of games where he uses this particular style would you? :p

I want to hate on Complexity so much, but they just picked up Gootecks and Mike "MikeRoss" Ross to start a fight games division, which is going to be (hopefully) awesome.

I really want to know why Complexity's statement is so harshly worded and in such direct contrast with what Destiny had to say on the issue in the TL thread.

Mairu

ShallNoiseUpon said:
I want to hate on Complexity so much, but they just picked up Gootecks and Mike "MikeRoss" Ross to start a fight games division, which is going to be (hopefully) awesome.

I really want to know why Complexity's statement is so harshly worded and in such direct contrast with what Destiny had to say on the issue in the TL thread.
because complexity is a shit team

Ikuu

Their statement is fine, Destiny signed and then broke the contract and so I see nothing wrong with how Complexity has worded their statement.

Mairu

Ikuu said:
Their statement is fine, Destiny signed and then broke the contract and so I see nothing wrong with how Complexity has worded their statement.
...some of the polarizing opinions being expressed on his stream were in direct opposition the values compLexity has stood for since 2003.
Unless the contract had some sort of "manner-clause", which I doubt considering Cruncher's bouts with Idra on both of their streams, that line is ridiculous. They could've refused Destiny in the first place if his opinions didn't match up with their values. I don't care for Destiny that much, but he hasn't changed since joining ROOT and ROOT getting bought by Complexity. They knew what they were buying

Mairu said:
Unless the contract had some sort of "manner-clause", which I doubt considering Cruncher's bouts with Idra on both of their streams, that line is ridiculous. They could've refused Destiny in the first place if his opinions didn't match up with their values. I don't care for Destiny that much, but he hasn't changed since joining ROOT and ROOT getting bought by Complexity. They knew what they were buying

Not to mention that

Then, despite being fully aware of what would be expected of him, he decided that he didn’t want to be part of a “big organization.” He refused to honor any of the terms in the contract.

and

Despite Mr. Bonnell’s agreement to exercise solid judgment and professionalism in his trade, some of the polarizing opinions being expressed on his stream were in direct opposition the values compLexity has stood for since 2003.

seem to be conflicting reasons for him no longer being on Complexity.

Ikuu

There's a huge difference from trash talking in a game to the way Destiny and his friends talk on his stream. I also find it hard to believe that he only had the contract for half a day, though I suppose it's possible.

Haunted

Not that anyone really cares about Destiny's professional career as a SC2 player anyway. He lost in the first round of the NASL Open Tournament today to Capoch.

And that's one of his biggest achievements in SC2 to date.

Mairu

Haunted said:
Not that anyone really cares about Destiny's professional career as a SC2 player anyway. He lost in the first round of the NASL Open Tournament today to Capoch.

And that's one of his biggest achievements in SC2 to date.
Well, he still managed to qualify for IPL 2 where no coL guys were able to outside of Stalife (well, and drewbie and Minigun but they weren't coL when they qualified ;p)

ShallNoiseUpon said:

OMG, greatest name ever. haha...Time to change my SC, GAF, Steam, XBOX, etc. name to Tyler "TylerFisher" Fisher.

It is a shame my name doesn't flow as well. Maybe Tyler "TFish" Fisher. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom