• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAT

ultron87 said:
Sure, I agree that letting household members play is fine. But where does it stop? Do you let your friends use your account? Co-workers? Should everyone you know and trust never have to buy a PC game that you own again?

Game sharing with PC games where anyone with your account info can download and play all your games is sticky business.
How is it an issue when your account is constantly validated online and there can never be more than one person on at a time? Plus there's the fact that Blizzard will auto-lock your account if you play from different locations. I've had my account locked on four separate occasions now and I've only ever played from a single spot.

One other thing I forgot to mention about the post I read, in addition to saying it was bannable to allow his wife to play on his account, the mod also said that he should stop his children from having any playtime on his account as well, if they were above a certain age (I think the age was 12).

Mairu

V_Arnold said:
I just do not see why Blizzard should open up regarding this. Where is that line? For someone, it is the wife (which, as far as I know, is a sudden change as in WoW, if you were in the same family - brother, wife, etc, you could legally share your account, unless that got modified), for another, some friend or a roommate.
You may not share your Account or password with anyone, except that if you are a parent or guardian, you may permit one (1) minor child to use the Account instead of you (in which case you may not use that Account at the same time).
http://us.blizzard.com/support/arti...3807&pageNumber=1&searchQuery=account+sharing

Not surprised that blizzard has the same policy regarding sc2 accounts as wow accounts (well, it is the same thing as they're both battle.net accounts) but reading the reactions is pretty funny. Pro teams can afford to get their players accounts in each region

Trickster

V_Arnold said:
I dunno. Never liked jumping on the "fuck you, company xy whose game I currently play regardless" bandwagon when they are not even banning me, they are WARNING someone for their obvious breach of EULA. Jeez. Bad me :(

Well blizzard seems to have had no problem with foreigners buying korean accounts using those korean social security number that are needed.

It's also weird as I've often seen interviews where players have said they were borrowing team mates accounts while at a tournament or the likes.

Now all of a sudden that's not okay to do? Why did it take them a year to start reinforcing their
shitty
UELA? Just makes them look like a bunch of greedy fucks that want to force players into buying as many accounts as possible (remember when you could just make as many of those as you wanted once you paid for the game? On all regions even, with lan)

Holden

Trickster said:
Well blizzard seems to have had no problem with foreigners buying korean accounts using those korean social security number that are needed.

It's also weird as I've often seen interviews where players have said they were borrowing team mates accounts while at a tournament or the likes.

Now all of a sudden that's not okay to do? Why did it take them a year to start reinforcing their
shitty
UELA? Just makes them look like a bunch of greedy fucks that want to force players into buying as many accounts as possible (remember when you could just make as many of those as you wanted once you paid for the game? On all regions even, with lan)

GSTL uses 1 account per team. So i guess blizzard is sponsering an illigal tournament???

edit: by sponsering, i meant forcing gomtv to put their logo :( lol cause i doubt they give any money ;/

Trickster said:

I'm fairly certain they actually don't give a shit if people share accounts in private. They just didn't want to have 25K or however many people were watching the stream to think that it is okay. Hell, it isn't even like they banned the account in question, they fucking called and told them to knock it off.

Hugoboss21 said:
GSTL uses 1 account per team. So i guess blizzard is sponsering an illigal tournament???

You mean the tournament accounts that Blizzard gives them to use?

Holden

ShallNoiseUpon said:
You mean the tournament accounts that Blizzard gives them to use?

no clue, just that in GSL they have their seperate accounts ( oGsMC ) but in GSTL they use team accounts ( oGs ) but ya apparently its still illigal, maybe not, i dont read the EULA like most of the ppl =)

Haunted

Yoshichan said:
I thought Swedes were supposed to be good at Starcraft?
xPVs9.gif

Haunted

Rain joining FnaticMSI

“I am extremely excited and content upon joining team Fnatic and interacting with the current team members because I have always possessed great interest in the international Starcraft 2 community. Fnatic is a team with strong players in each race- for instance Fenix for Terran, Sen for Zerg, and TT1 for Protoss. I think it will be a good experience for me to have such stellar players as teammates and consider myself lucky to receive such an opportunity. Also, I will always put as much effort as possible so that I can perform well to not let both my fans and Fnatic’s fans disappointed.”

He'll move to the US to play for fnatic. For those who don't check the NASL thread, he managed to qualify for season 2 in the Open Tournament and will be joining Fenix, TT1 and Sen in the league.

cdyhybrid

Am I wrong in remembering Blizzard saying they were going to put significant effort into having SC2 grow as an e-sport? They seem to be doing the opposite.

WedgeX

Banned
This guy must've been trying to make my night. Builds two factories before an orbital command. Lets me destroy command centers with drops. Build almost nothing but tanks and vikings. Rage's out by telling me I map hack. Glorious.

Keikaku

NeoGAF Summer Invitational Update

Keikaku said:
Hey all, sorry about the lack of updates.

I'm sure I've said this before but just in case: we are not starting this weekend, but on Monday. The brackets are NOT finalized just yet but will be tonight. Real life has caught up with me and I had to do a bunch of schoolwork. You will have time to practice your matchups, so don't worry.

Tentative schedule:
  • June 27th Monday- June 29th Thursday: Wild Card Playoffs This is to determine the last 2 seeded players. Due to an larger than expected number of players signing up, I've turned the last 2 slots into playoff slots-up for grabs following a mini 6-8 man tournament. After that, I will finalize the brackets. These matches will be cast from replays, not live on the stream.
  • June 30th: Upper quarter of the brackets will play. 2-4 matches will be played live on the stream to test our casting duo and general preparedness.
  • July 6th-Onwards: Match play will resume after a break to accommodate 4th of July festivities.
  • Brackets (Excluding Wild Cards): Will be posted later tonight, 3 hours or so. PMs will be sent.

ultron87 said:
Sure, I agree that letting household members play is fine. But where does it stop? Do you let your friends use your account? Co-workers? Should everyone you know and trust never have to buy a PC game that you own again?

What do you mean? Only one person can be online at a time and they all pretty much have to play on my computer or im likely to get banned.

How is my one copy of SC2 going to cover the usage of every single person i know?

It's not like i can go around installing the game on all of their computers to use whenever they want.

If allowing someone temporary access to my SC2 account is enough to deter them from buying SC2 i doubt they would have been willing to buy it in the first place.

nilbog21

Banned
Forgotten_Taco said:
CombatEX vs Deezer show match on Destiny's stream. Interview with combatex, incontrol, and chill afterward. I've laughed and cried.

so funny, cuz imo combatEX is owning them and there is like 5 of them teaming up on him. and he fucking called incontrol on his BS about turning off the stream and beating him LOL

and chill is just a bitch..

hamchan

ahahahaahaha

CombatEX to Incontrol: "How the fuck do you say your name with all these weird letters. Gee-off wtf."

Incontrol: "...It's Geoff"

V_Arnold

cdyhybrid said:
Am I wrong in remembering Blizzard saying they were going to put significant effort into having SC2 grow as an e-sport? They seem to be doing the opposite.

Okay, we have entered the hilarious zone now. Keep it coming.

Keikaku

cdyhybrid said:

This is now bizarro-world. Wow.

zoukka

At this point my dislike of CombatEX has reached the point where it reverses and I kinda enjoy watching him play. He's just so ruthless and dumb as a boot.

cdyhybrid

V_Arnold said:
Okay, we have entered the hilarious zone now. Keep it coming.

Please point out what they've done other than make the game. There's no LAN when the new B.net is terrible. They bitch about sharing accounts when accounts are region locked for no reason other than to force people to buy extra copies. You guys need to get off their balls. I love Blizzard and their games are great, but they're dropping the ball here. Continue to kowtow to them though. Blizzard is a paragon of customer relations and they obviously care only about the customer. I honestly don't care that they're trying to make as much of a profit as they can. Just don't pretend to try and do otherwise.

I don't tend to follow Starcraft 2 development but I did buy the game on some sort of community read promise that the game would be patched after a launch window to allow global play.

V_Arnold

cdyhybrid said:
Please point out what they've done other than make the game. There's no LAN when the new B.net is terrible. They bitch about sharing accounts when accounts are region locked for no reason other than to force people to buy extra copies. You guys need to get off their balls. I love Blizzard and their games are great, but they're dropping the ball here. Continue to kowtow to them though. Blizzard is a paragon of customer relations and they obviously care only about the customer. I honestly don't care that they're trying to make as much of a profit as they can. Just don't pretend to try and do otherwise.

Bolded: not important, anyone can make these games, am I right?
Italic: What? What dropping ball? What ball? Esports becomes hurt every time Blizzard PR not even bans, but calls and asks a pro player to stop alternating accounts? Puppies are torched to death when they do that?

They are not dropping any ball. It has been proven several times already that SCII is the biggest 1v1 Esport on the west by a large margin, there is no ball dropping there. These players make thousands of dollars, if you think they cannot afford to maintain 3 account for 3 servers for a total price of 149$, then you are wrong. Huk just won Dreamhack. Cant he afford another account? Hm? YES HE CAN. End of story. They make their living off Blizzard's game, and Blizzard is greedy?

cdyhybrid

V_Arnold said:
Bolded: not important, anyone can make these games, am I right?
Italic: What? What dropping ball? What ball? Esports becomes hurt every time Blizzard PR not even bans, but calls and asks a pro player to stop alternating accounts? Puppies are torched to death when they do that?

They are not dropping any ball. It has been proven several times already that SCII is the biggest 1v1 Esport on the west by a large margin, there is no ball dropping there. These players make thousands of dollars, if you think they cannot afford to maintain 3 account for 3 servers for a total price of 149$, then you are wrong. Huk just won Dreamhack. Cant he afford another account? Hm? YES HE CAN. End of story. They make their living off Blizzard's game, and Blizzard is greedy?

You really think Blizzard's public image wasn't hurt by this little episode after the hardcore community is already fed up with the state of the game? They have every right to do what they did, that's fine, but they should fully expect backlash from the community. SC2 is the biggest e-sport in spite of Blizzard's efforts. They put garbage maps on the ladder. There's no LAN, which has had real and immediate influence on major tournaments. Yes, these pro players can afford extra accounts in different regions. But they shouldn't need to pay for them. The pros are the biggest sellers for their game at the moment (until HotS is released). Again, I don't have a problem with them enforcing their EULA, just don't claim to be supporting e-sports when all your actions point the opposite direction.

V_Arnold

Cdyhybrid, with all due respect, I recognize this attitude. You are looking for every single fault, and enlarge it. Community is fed up with them? When majority of TL's community consists of hardcore BW players who feel treathened by SCII itself? When they applaud and praise articles like Elephant in the Room? When they do not understand that in the last 10 years, game budgets, costs and piracy have changed so much that they cannot afford to have the same features than a game in 98?

I can not afford to spend too much energy on this argument or fight, because it bears no fruit to any of us. I would advise you to realize this: StarCraft II is a game that has most likely been played 300-600 hours already by anyone who bought it a year ago, and is anything but a semi-regular laddering person. The average lenght of a 59.99$ action game is 6-7 hour. Think about this one. And maybe next time Blizzard decides to listen to the community, and includes GSL maps in the official ladder, maybe remember to that, and praise them for it, when it happen, instead of forgetting it and hating them for not doing it (when they ARE doing it :).

cdyhybrid

V_Arnold said:
Cdyhybrid, with all due respect, I recognize this attitude. You are looking for every single fault, and enlarge it. Community is fed up with them? When majority of TL's community consists of hardcore BW players who feel treathened by SCII itself? When they applaud and praise articles like Elephant in the Room? When they do not understand that in the last 10 years, game budgets, costs and piracy have changed so much that they cannot afford to have the same features than a game in 98?

I can not afford to spend too much energy on this argument or fight, because it bears no fruit to any of us. I would advise you to realize this: StarCraft II is a game that has most likely been played 300-600 hours already by anyone who bought it a year ago, and is anything but a semi-regular laddering person. The average lenght of a 59.99$ action game is 6-7 hour. Think about this one. And maybe next time Blizzard decides to listen to the community, and includes GSL maps in the official ladder, maybe remember to that, and praise them for it, when it happen, instead of forgetting it and hating them for not doing it (when they ARE doing it :).

Again, I'm not saying the game isn't a runaway success or that it's unenjoyable or anything of that nature. I play it (and mostly enjoy it) all the time, as does pretty much everyone who reads this thread. The TL community is often completely unreasonable, but when it comes to Blizzard's support of e-sports they have a valid gripe (the Elephant in the Room article was bullshit by the way, play better and practice more to compete with the Koreans or shut the fuck up).

Yes, everyone who plays this game at least somewhat seriously has more than gotten their money's worth out of this game. But it has the potential to be more than that, just like how BW was more than just an average RTS game that had a dedicated following. The community has very real and very legitimate feedback for Blizzard but they don't appear to be listening to any of it.

I'm not gonna go into the idea that they should be praised for neutering their product because of pirates. That's a discussion for another thread. And the fact that the average $60.00 action game lasts only 6-7 hours nowadays is a goddamn travesty.

Edit: And when they do actually listen to the community and implement GSL maps or whatever, I will suck their ballsacks from here to Indonesia. But they have to do it first. Their cold-blooded murdering of the Warcraft franchise has completely destroyed any trust I had in them.

Edit 2: Because I want to be perfectly clear - if Blizzard never claimed to support the game's growth as an e-sport, I will gladly take back everything I have posted. They have every right to milk their product for any profit they can manage, and I would actually be flabbergasted if they didn't. But if they have, their attitude towards the game has been extremely disappointing. I honestly do not see how anyone could disagree with that based on how successful BW was without any support from Blizzard.

hamchan

V_Arnold said:

Don't see what the bolded has to do with Blizzard supporting E-Sports...

I honestly think cdyhybrid is right in some ways. Blizzard are obviously split between more profit and supporting e-sports. Lack of LAN support is indeed sorely missed. I think it was one of the GSLs where Blizzard people were there and one of the games lagged or disconnected and they gave no reaction at all. Basically Blizzard has been supporting the sport but they could easily do more, however they choose not to and of course that frustrates a lot of people.

Keikaku

NeoGAF Summer Invitational Update

WILD CARD PLAYOFFS

The matches for the Wild Card slots are as follows:
  • Match 1: 867-5309 vs. MrStroke
  • Match 2: SteveWinwood vs. ForgottenTaco
  • Match 3: AdventureRacing vs. Dynamic 3
  • Match 4: Match 1 Winner vs. Match 2 Winner
  • Match 5: Match 3 Winner vs. Match 4 Loser

MAP POOL
  • MLG Xel'naga Caverns
  • MLG Metalopolis
  • GSL Dual Sight
  • GSL Terminus RE
  • GSL Crevasse
  • Each player must eliminate 1 map from the pool

RULES
  • The winners of Match 4 and 5 will get the Wild Card slots.
  • All Matches will be played in the Best of 3 format
  • Please PM your opponent and finish all of your individual matches by this coming Wednesday.

Good luck to all the players!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Haunted said:
I thought Swedes were supposed to be good at Starcraft?
xPVs9.gif
Oh you mother f....!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Not happening bro! Too much of an economical problem, so if I break it, there'll be no SC2 until July 14!

hamchan said:
Don't see what the bolded has to do with Blizzard supporting E-Sports...

I honestly think cdyhybrid is right in some ways. Blizzard are obviously split between more profit and supporting e-sports. Lack of LAN support is indeed sorely missed. I think it was one of the GSLs where Blizzard people were there and one of the games lagged or disconnected and they gave no reaction at all. Basically Blizzard has been supporting the sport but they could easily do more, however they choose not to and of course that frustrates a lot of people.

This. Also, releasing a patch just before major tournaments (when there was a much better release window shortly after) was a strange choice.

I am a huge fan of what Blizzard has done with SC2, and I recognize how they chose the game design around the game being an e-sport. But that does not make them free from criticism.

No LAN support may be the best economic decision for the company, and lag in major tournaments may hardly cost them anything in sales, but it's clearly a choice in favor of Blizzard's bottom line over support for esports.

This doesn't change my excitement for Diablo 3 or HotS, but I reserve my right to bitch about this despite how much I love Blizzard's games.

Rubashov

cdyhybrid said:
Edit: And when they do actually listen to the community and implement GSL maps or whatever, I will suck their ballsacks from here to Indonesia. But they have to do it first. Their cold-blooded murdering of the Warcraft franchise has completely destroyed any trust I had in them.
???
600px-Tal%27Darim_Altar.jpg

Edit 2: Because I want to be perfectly clear - if Blizzard never claimed to support the game's growth as an e-sport, I will gladly take back everything I have posted. They have every right to milk their product for any profit they can manage, and I would actually be flabbergasted if they didn't. But if they have, their attitude towards the game has been extremely disappointing. I honestly do not see how anyone could disagree with that based on how successful BW was without any support from Blizzard.
I would say that SC2 is a lot more successful in the west than BW ever was, as an esport. Each tournament and league we watch week after week has the direct support of Blizzard, because they have to give consent in the first place. The people who run MLG, NASL, IPL, Dreamhack, Homestory, and so on have all had contact with and approval from Blizzard's staff. How many tournaments have they actually turned down?

The lack of LAN means that the game isn't in a state that's ideal for esports, but the company has certainly been supportive of the scene in the community department.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Rubashov said:
I would say that SC2 is a lot more successful in the west than BW ever was, as an esport. Each tournament and league we watch week after week has the direct support of Blizzard, because they have to give consent in the first place. The people who run MLG, NASL, IPL, Dreamhack, Homestory, and so on have all had contact with and approval from Blizzard's staff. How many tournaments have they actually turned down?

The lack of LAN means that the game isn't in a state that's ideal for esports, but the company has certainly been supportive of the scene in the community department.

its a cold day in hell when consumers see a company imposing restrictions on community events and call it 'support'. it doesn't matter if blizzard is giving consent when consent should never be required in the first place. They don't get nice points because they could have been bigger assholes than they currently are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom