• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Here are some comments from a HON developer on why his game doesn't, and never will, have LAN. I figured this could probably apply to SC2 as well.

TL Thread
Reddit Thread

Dev said:
in today's world putting a LAN feature on a game is the direct equivalent of giving it away for free.

Dev said:
Not my shot to call. But as an Economist, it's easy for me to see why any company making an RTS-style game will never put LAN in it ever again. Pirates ruined LAN, not us. I don't see why everybody is trying to convince companies to put LAN into games- you're convincing the wrong people. As long as piracy is on the rise, LAN will be on the way out. Simple as that. Put yourself in any business' shoes and try to weigh the advantages against the disadvantages and you will understand why, even on the biggest competitive games like Starcraft 2, there will never be LAN.

Goodwill is nice to have but it doesn't pay the bills and any gaming company out there is out there to make money first and make good games second. I'm sorry if this truth offends you but the video game market is an industry and people make games to make money the same way a guy who sells Ice-cream does his job to make money and not to put smiles on people's faces (although I'm sure he does enjoy putting smiles on people's faces).

Here's an example of how "goodwill" is received in the gaming community: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/i0otl/pirates_are_scumbags/

The majority of the gaming community has a whole has proven to be indifferent about "goodwill". So don't knock on our door, or Blizzard's, or anybody else who doesn't put a LAN feature in their game- it's simple Economics. If I have a choice to add a feature to a game that will reduce revenue by a significant percentage and yield almost nothing in return (money wise) than any smart business wont implement it.

And you better bet piracy is on the rise. I'm not blaming anybody, though- just the same way that the smart Business is drawn to removing LAN because of piracy, the smart Consumer is drawn to piracy because it is rational to not buy a game for 30 dollars when I can download almost the same game for free.

It's a simple case of two Homo Economicus doing what they do best- being rational in a market. LAN is an unfortunate bystander and is going to vanish in the future as long as it's part of a game that can be abused by piracy.

So yeah, I'm listening if you have any good arguments. Let me state for the record that I love LAN, that I wish HoN had LAN, that I think it's lame that tournaments have to be played on-line and not on LAN. But I still accept the inevitability that LAN is going to die.

TLDR: Pirates ruin everything...

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Require people to sign and be authenticated on the server, then they can create a LAN game there, and if they lose connection outside of a game they are kicked but inside they keep playing. It's not the perfect solution but it stops people disconnecting in the middle of games.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
yes because a single player game is entirely analogous to a DoTa clone and starcraft, mr. hon guy. i love playing hamachi broodwar with the 6 people whose given me their ip.

and goodwill doesn't pay the bills? well, we'll see who is paying the bills when valve releases their dota game.

Ikuu said:
Require people to sign and be authenticated on the server, then they can create a LAN game there, and if they lose connection outside of a game they are kicked but inside they keep playing. It's not the perfect solution but it stops people disconnecting in the middle of games.

because that won't be cracked in hours or anything.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
ShallNoiseUpon said:
It works exactly like the current system but you don't get disconnected in the middle of the game, there are ways to implement LAN but they just don't care. HoN is going to get crushed by Dota 2 anyway.

V_Arnold

ShallNoiseUpon said:

Well, they believe that. I personally believe that it would be cracked in a matter of weeks, one slipup from the organizers, one possibility of someone stealing/copying the code and then, it is out. This happens once, and all the pirates in the world can now play multiplayer SCII for free.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
V_Arnold said:
Well, they believe that. I personally believe that it would be cracked in a matter of weeks, one slipup from the organizers, one possibility of someone stealing/copying the code and then, it is out. This happens once, and all the pirates in the world can now play multiplayer SCII for free.
by giving out their ip to 15 odd people over hamachi.

lets not act like lan starcraft would be an ideal wonderland worthy of dropping battle.net 2.0 for. hamachi wont create an iccup 2.0

Ikuu said:
It works exactly like the current system but you don't get disconnected in the middle of the game, there are ways to implement LAN but they just don't care. HoN is going to get crushed by Dota 2 anyway.

Probably. Just having Icefrog on board is going to be huge for it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow... I just had the first late game TvZ I've ever played.

I'm a fucking God at drops.

jasonng

*Finally peaks in the MLP thread*

*Finds Panda's Facebook*

*Sees Rainbow Dash and IdrA under favorite Athletes*

Edward-Norton-Closing-Laptop.gif

*Sends Friend request anyways*

Terproerg

well everytime i sign up for wow i get hacked. Guess im done playing that game. Sucks though, I cant play SC2 and I have that nvidia open game tonight :(.

ultron87

Terproerg said:
well everytime i sign up for wow i get hacked. Guess im done playing that game. Sucks though, I cant play SC2 and I have that nvidia open game tonight :(.

Get an authenticator. Someone else getting into your account becomes pretty much impossible.

jasonng

Not to mention the kawaii corehound pet you get after attaching the authenticator to your account. You don't need another reason to jump back into WoW though.

Terproerg said:
would love to, but I dont have the money at the moment for one :\.
It's a free app on iPhone/iTouch/iPad.

WedgeX said:
We've gone from hearing voices to posting pictures to facebook friends?

Sounds like escalation to me.
At this point I wouldn't mind grabbing beers with anyone here. Everyone here's a cool bunch. Don't worry, splinter, I'll order you a cosmo.

Terproerg

lol an ipad/iphone. Like I could ever afford those. I dont even own a smart phone, they cost too much on what i live off of. oh well guess ill have to sit and wait till they get back to me through the email :\

WedgeX

Banned
jasonng said:
At this point I wouldn't mind grabbing beers with anyone here. Everyone here's a cool bunch. Don't worry, splinter, I'll order you a cosmo.

This is true. GAF SCII drinking night....in real life?

Tntnnbltn said:
Your inability to build SCVs was evened out by his inability to spend resources.

I know! At least I've gotten better at spending money. Not so much at 4+ssssssssssssssss

jasonng said:
Not to mention the kawaii corehound pet you get after attaching the authenticator to your account. You don't need another reason to jump back into WoW though.

It's a free app on iPhone/iTouch/iPad.

lol. Who drinks beer anymore? I revealed my name, you can friend me!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Q8D3vil said:
your opponent didn't have any muta ?
No mutas. Link, baneling, infestors.
Hugoboss21 said:
it is hard to shift queue drops all around the map.
It's hard to a click as zerg. That's all that stupid race does anyway.

BigAT

Yoshichan said:
Yep! Not only have I noticed that I react much faster when I play on low, I also feel that the game gets more colorful. brb let my try it out.

edit: yep!
http://i.imgur.com/VAVpM.gif[IMG]

[url]http://i.imgur.com/qzlKp.jpg[/url]
[url]http://i.imgur.com/Rl36n.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]
Yeah, but don't you miss out on seeing cloaked units and such?

Yoshichan

BigAT said:
Yeah, but don't you miss out on seeing cloaked units and such?
You can see that too :p

Aylinato

Terproerg said:
lol an ipad/iphone. Like I could ever afford those. I dont even own a smart phone, they cost too much on what i live off of. oh well guess ill have to sit and wait till they get back to me through the email :\

you have to call them, email is going to take them ages, calling makes the request go faster

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
jasonng said:
I was beating platinum with ease, now I'm losing to 1 base protoss gold players? Why am I so inconsistent?

The macro, it's always the macro.

I used to be able to beat diamond players with ease but now I'm getting crushed by wacky 1-base all-ins because my mechanics have degraded.

Birdman02

jasonng said:
I was beating platinum with ease, now I'm losing to 1 base protoss gold players? Why am I so inconsistent?

I know how you feel. After my embarrassing performance on GAF night, I played a few ladder games. I executed exactly 0 clean opening build orders in 5 games...stuff I've had down for a while. I sill managed to win a few of those games, but I am playing terrible right now.

WedgeX

Banned
Pankaks said:
The macro, it's always the macro.

I used to be able to beat diamond players with ease but now I'm getting crushed by wacky 1-base all-ins because my mechanics have degraded.

Definitely. My macro comes and goes. Building scvs is a constant problem, but building production facilities is getting better.

That, and remembering to push and not just harass.

And getting slightly better at macro-ing, I swear!

Had a great trench warfare matchup.

Ok so I am not a huge starcraft player and I mostly just play friends and vs AI.

I am incredibly bored with the current maps so how would I go about obtaining new vs A.I. maps and making them playable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom