• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuRT!

I am silver league and need help as zerg.

I've been trying to do mutaling vs protoss and muta, ling, bling vs terran. It seems like the only times I win is if they don't attack for a long time. They usually attack just as I'm getting the first 4 mutas or they attack before I even get mutas. At that point I usually only have a few zerglings (around 14).

I try to scout but generally lose track of scouting after 5-7 minutes into the game :lol From what I understand the common time for a zerg to expand is at 21 food but it seems to be a total gamble if I do this. Again, if they attack early I am guaranteed to lose since I don't have a lot of units at this point. Sometimes I make 1-2 spine crawlers and sometimes I don't make any.

Any tips?

mcrae

BuRT! said:
I am silver league and need help as zerg.

I've been trying to do mutaling vs protoss and muta, ling, bling vs terran. It seems like the only times I win is if they don't attack for a long time. They usually attack just as I'm getting the first 4 mutas or they attack before I even get mutas. At that point I usually only have a few zerglings (around 14).

I try to scout but generally lose track of scouting after 5-7 minutes into the game :lol From what I understand the common time for a zerg to expand is at 21 food but it seems to be a total gamble if I do this. Again, if they attack early I am guaranteed to lose since I don't have a lot of units at this point. Sometimes I make 1-2 spine crawlers and sometimes I don't make any.

Any tips?

idra said in a gsl match that 14 hatches are now common vs terran, since they cant make a barracks till they make their supply. so uh take that as you will lol

BuRT!

mcrae said:
idra said in a gsl match that 14 hatches are now common vs terran, since they cant make a barracks till they make their supply. so uh take that as you will lol

Yea, I heard that too. I tried 15 hatch and lost. I guess I'm just wondering how many units you make early on. Maybe I drone up too much, but at the same time just defending with zerglings against marine/marauder or mass stalkers doesn't seem to work out for me in the early game.

park a zergling near the bottom of your opponents ramp so that when he moves out you will see it and have enough time to spam out some units/morph banelings.

YakiSOBA

Help me out here... in 2v2 with my friend, we've been dominating in platinum lately trying to get to diamond (rank 4 plat toss + terran).. I just go basic 3rax and he adjusts according to what we see.. sometimes 4gate for early zealot pressure, stalkers, voidrays etc..

The one thing we can't seem to beat, which is hella annoying, are teams that tech up. For instance, the loss we just had:

We were about to move out with ground forces but I caught a glimpse of a drop, so we returned to base to defend... by the time we move our forces out to their base, they have tanks and wall.. fail, we bring our forces back..

We expand, make more forces... I switch to banshees + cloak and he goes mass stalkers, we push out and get raped by mass thors.

This happens so often... it's that one point where they pull ahead with tech and we lose, but if we don't make ground forces and tech up like them, we always get countered before WE tech up. it's so annoying.. sigh.

Aylinato

YakiSOBA said:
Help me out here... in 2v2 with my friend, we've been dominating in platinum lately trying to get to diamond (rank 4 plat toss + terran).. I just go basic 3rax and he adjusts according to what we see.. sometimes 4gate for early zealot pressure, stalkers, voidrays etc..

The one thing we can't seem to beat, which is hella annoying, are teams that tech up. For instance, the loss we just had:

We were about to move out with ground forces but I caught a glimpse of a drop, so we returned to base to defend... by the time we move our forces out to their base, they have tanks and wall.. fail, we bring our forces back..

We expand, make more forces... I switch to banshees + cloak and he goes mass stalkers, we push out and get raped by mass thors.

This happens so often... it's that one point where they pull ahead with tech and we lose, but if we don't make ground forces and tech up like them, we always get countered before WE tech up. it's so annoying.. sigh.

chargelots vs tanks, immortals vs thors

I normally am always protoss(as i pick brotoss) and I always go chargelots/then blink stalker, then add immortals ASAP

my start is like this
9 pylon
12 gateway
normally by 16 i can get cyber core(or z-lot, then i go to xel'naga tower with my first z-lot if they aren't zerg
then plyon at 16 as well
then i start adding another gateway
then when i have 2 zealots out, i build two stalkers
then 2 more gateways
then when warpgate is done, 4 stalkers
then i either fast expand, or i build more zlots to hold off any early pushes
after expand, make sure to add twilight council, keep building units either stalker/zealots depending on what your facing
if thors and tanks pop up get chargelots early, then get +1 weapon, normally same time finish, then start adding some immortals to go along with your chargelot armor as those two destroy tanks/thors, and the stalkers should have blink when thors r up so they can pick off some tanks then blink out(not sieged of course)

but if there is like 12 sieged tanks, with thors, i have no idea what to do

but if you dont like immortals/chargelots, colosi also own thors as their weapons outrange a thor because of the +1 and some. So, if you love colosi, that is the other route i can go

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
I seem to be losing a lot to mass void rays as a zerg. My macro has improved exponentially. I scout a lot more and tend to dominate economically. However, whenever I scout a mass void ray, I start getting ready with Hydras. The problem is, I can never build enough hydras to defend my base well enough. They usually go directly for my hatcheries, and it's GG for me :/ What's the best way to defend against voidrays as a zerg?

ultron87

People still go mass void rays? Shit, they're going to get nerfed even more. :lol

Hydras are your best bet and can deal with VRs pretty well. If they're coming to your base with like 20 all of a sudden you should be more aggressive, because if they have that many VRs they probably don't have much else. And if you scout it and still can't build enough Hydras to parry it there are probably deeper issues with your macro that is causing you to not be able to produce enough in time.

And don't be afraid to use your Queens as well when they get to your base.

What league are you?

Aylinato

ProudClod said:
I seem to be losing a lot to mass void rays as a zerg. My macro has improved exponentially. I scout a lot more and tend to dominate economically. However, whenever I scout a mass void ray, I start getting ready with Hydras. The problem is, I can never build enough hydras to defend my base well enough. They usually go directly for my hatcheries, and it's GG for me :/ What's the best way to defend against voidrays as a zerg?

1 spore crawler kills 2 VRs now, so, if u need some static defenses incase of huge amounts of space, they will destroy those things

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
ProudClod said:
Mutamutamutamutamutamutamutamutamuta.

Queens while you wait.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ProudClod said:
Your opponent should never get mass void rays period.

If you review your game I'm sure you can figure out a few times you could have punished such a build.

mcrae

i fucking hate the new custom game system. the top three games popularity are:
800 games in past hour
260 games in past hour
12 games in past hour

playing anything other than the top two results in a long ass wait period, and the second most popular map is just a regular melee map but non-ladder. fuck this shit

IceMarker

mcrae said:
800 games in past hour
260 games in past hour
12 games in past hour

playing anything other than the top two results in a long ass wait period, and the second most popular map is just a regular melee map but non-ladder. fuck this shit
And thus, you discover my frustration with trying to keep Shadow Assault even on page 5.

Zen

Banned
mcrae said:
800 games in past hour
260 games in past hour
12 games in past hour

Yeah, I think the old Bnet1 system was better, even because it allowed you to be far more adventurous in choosing what was popping up.

mcrae

Zen said:
Yeah, I think the old Bnet1 system was better, even because it allowed you to be far more adventurous in choosing what was popping up.

especially because you knew they if you were joining a game, there was at least one other person already in it.

and people could just rejoin to pop it back to the top of the list

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
"It will be revealed tomorrow in BlizzCon, that there will be a new "Grand Master League", a step above the Diamond League. It's going to be the league for the pros, where only top 2% of Diamond League, or top 100 overall, or something like that will be playing at."

Oh snap.

mcrae

Syth_Blade22 said:

this will make replays of pros much easier to get hands on and maybe make the novelty of watching pros in tournaments less interesting, no? only difference is money on the line i guess

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If Blizzard are dicks they'd name it Pro League.
GM League is fine though, probably help fly better over in Korea as well.

Elcheris

Neo Member
YakiSOBA said:

Well, to quote Day9, you could just fucking kill them. If you see a drop coming there isnt a need to send your entire army back, just enough to take care of the drop. If you see just 1 dropship then you only need a handful of dudes. If you send your entire army then they have succeeded in their goal, delaying your push. Another thing is that once you see that they are teching, if you try and switch to banshees or something to 'counter' their units then you are already behind on the tech race. The best counter to tech can be as simple as having more stuff.

The best thing to do if you can't break their line of defense is to set up a contain, constantly reinforcing your army and proceed to expand. This way, once their tech ball rolls out you should be prepared with plenty of units and a giant economy boost.

One more thing =) Make sure you are always building workers and supply, getting supply blocked at the wrong moment can make you lose games and the key to out-producing your opponents is more workers. It doesn't matter how many expansions you have if there are barely any workers.

If you want more help then hook me up with some replays so I can see if there is anything else I could suggest!

farnham

Banned
heh. i thought diamond league was broken since i got in there. :lol :lol

good thing that they are making another additional league.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
- MMR is not wiped when the season resets the ladders.
- different league ratings don't affect each other except during placement matches.
- League icons will denote how high you are. High diamond gets fancier icon than low diamond.
- Season 2 date not announced yet, ladder will be wiped, but can see history.
- One placement match only
- Master League (top 1-2% of region goes in it)
- Top 200 players go in Grand Master League. (crowd cheering)
- Featured replays (jan/feb timeframe), new tab that can show replays from tournaments like GSL

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Snow

My personal summary of some of the more interesting stuff said in the last sc2 panel, from the blizzcon thread.

Snow said:
short summary of the SC2 battle.net stuff so far:

internal mmr caries over seasons
divisions are intended to hold 20% of player population each
bonus pool will stop being added at a certain point in the season
changes will be made to prevent things like loss-botting (joining lots of 2/3/4s and insta-quiting)
division (i.e. bronze, silver, gold etc) icons will gradually change as your rank within a division gets higher
season 2 will wipe ladders and division placements
season 1 stats will be remembered
only one placement match to be replaced in a division after new season
new master league, top 5% of diamond
new grand master league, top 200 players of every region
grand master league is visible for everyone
featured replays to be added to sc2, jan-feb timeframe
Snow said:
Apparently David Kim (one of the two dedicated sc2 balancers) is the top random in the world, which is kinda neat. Some other interesting stuff from the question and answers at the sc2 panel:

plans to show the hidden mmr?
mmr is several different numbers, for user interface its difficult to show. also doesn't change that much
concern that mmr is same across all your races, looking at that for the future

chat, clan support?
chat before end of year, public and private, nov/dec
chat is done, in qa now

last patch, plans for reaper as mid-game unit?
focus for balance on esports, 2v2 top teams 50% was reaper/ling, in 1v1 terran had too many viable opening before scouting options available
wait and see with reaper, don't know what will happen yet

war 3 had lots of stats on website?
no timetable, want to do more
'huge plans' to evolve that, no dates or specific features

splitting 1v1 for separate races?
talked about it quite a bit
don't want too split too much to make it hard to find enemies
real issue, don't know what solution is

plans for replay sharing in cloud, watch together?
there absolutely are
hard at work at doing
next year

Tenks

Pandaman said:
2% of daimond would be closer to top 1,000 tho.

first gaffer to proleague wins.

I think it's right around 850 at the moment. I think around 1900 points gets you in. At least it gives me something to shoot for since right now the ladder feels like a meaningless climb. I doubt I'd ever get into the top 200.

AcridMeat

Banned
Does anyone want to play 2v2? (NA)

I'm not good (23-21 in bronze) but after seeing the stream I really want to play right now.

AcridMeat 168. :D

LakeEarth

When should you start pressuring when 4-gating? Just when you get the fourth gate up or wait a couple of cycles? I think I'm waiting too long.

I know the 'right time' depends on what your opponent is doing, but I'm still new to this and looking for a general idea.

LakeEarth said:
When should you start pressuring when 4-gating? Just when you get the fourth gate up or wait a couple of cycles? I think I'm waiting too long.

I know the 'right time' depends on what your opponent is doing, but I'm still new to this and looking for a general idea.
as soon as that 4th gate and warp tech finishes, you should be warping in your proxy. as soon as all of those things (warp gate + 4 gates + proxy) are in play, it's time to move out.

LakeEarth

That sounds like a plan. I just lost a heartbreaker cause I waited too long and he rushed to DTs which I wasn't ready for. Watching the replay showed that I had a good 2 minute window to do the "just go fucking kill him" counter.

LakeEarth said:
That sounds like a plan. I just lost a heartbreaker cause I waited too long and he got DTs which I wasn't ready for. Watching the replay showed that I had a good 2 minute window to do the "just go fucking kill him" counter.
oh yea, if you're going 4-gate, he should not be able to get to DT's before you kill him. no way in hell.

4-gate is usually an all-in rush, or very close to one. It's not a "rush" if you don't go until midgame. :lol

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Tenks said:
I think it's right around 850 at the moment. I think around 1900 points gets you in. At least it gives me something to shoot for since right now the ladder feels like a meaningless climb. I doubt I'd ever get into the top 200.
1900 if they're picking people by the globe, if its regional its closer to 1,700.
but i imagine adding in new leagues will push alot of people into being more active on the ladder because as you've said, it doesn't really feel like its going anywhere. you get top 50%ish in diamond and you lose alot of steam.

even among na gaffers very few people take 1v1 ladder seriously anymore. Hopefully these two new leagues provide more pressure on the diamond league ladder for growth. I think a better stats management system coming from blizzard would also help. when i found sc2ranks i suddenly got the urge to ladder because 'im really close to top XXXXX', then once i got there it was 'wow im so close to top YYYYY', etc, etc because i'm a sucker for stuff like that.

jersoc

Got to play the jewelcraft game. Its pure addictive. It gets crazy hectic at times trying to find pieces, making units, using spells and seeing waht you need to counter. But god dsmn if it ain't pure fun. I really hope this hits bnet soon.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
9AEsp.jpg

i think i prefer doing this with zerglings, but a roach is fine too.

Meeru

Banned
Yes to me the reason why i dont really care bout ladder is that there are so many diamond leagues..i dont care if someone is #1 in their league

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
valenti said:
Yes to me the reason why i dont really care bout ladder is that there are so many diamond leagues..i dont care if someone is #1 in their league
#1 in a league is still top 1000~ material.
hardly worth sneezing at.

Besides, its convienent for me that i can mock you for being a 700diamond scrub everytime you slaughter me. *cough*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom