• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boken

Banned
Competitive stealth action? Sounds interesting!
Ashhong said:
Whats the difference with right clicking and a-moving blings? i usually a-move them to behind the bio ball. is it better to right click the marine in the back?
If you a-move your banes, they just explode on whatever is closest to them. You want to micro them at the marines by clicking move behind the marines so that the banes spread around them like a 'surround'. If you right click a marine, the banes will explode on him but once he's dead, the banes will just explode on whatever is closest. Using banes to kill marauders is inefficient when zerglings tear them up anyway.

IceMarker

Syth_Blade22 said:
*squeals with excitement*
Before you get too excited, this is a very early beta, as in there are many things unbalanced and broken right now, but playable enough to where you can enjoy it. The biggest reason I'm having an open beta is because I can only test the game in single player. Therefore multiplayer bugs can't be spotted without the help of you guys!

Ashhong

Boken said:
Competitive stealth action? Sounds interesting!

If you a-move your banes, they just explode on whatever is closest to them. You want to micro them at the marines by clicking move behind the marines so that the banes spread around them like a 'surround'. If you right click a marine, the banes will explode on him but once he's dead, the banes will just explode on whatever is closest. Using banes to kill marauders is inefficient when zerglings tear them up anyway.

makes sense, thanks. im trying to learn zerg since my friend and i have trouble playing 2v2 when we are both protoss. harder than it looks :lol

Aylinato

So today is my b-day and apparently the blizzard gods are looking favorably towards me. I've won around 10 games in a row. I decided to change my play from 12 gate, then get cyber core, to getting two gates first, then cyber core. It's been allowing me to put early pressure with 4 z-lots then when i get around 8 stalkers up and near their base I normally have blink done, and have been decimating the bases, as if it's one with far bases, I'll attack one, make sure I can run away, then blink out, and kill a different base which they can't defend

however, one game was in the one with 4 bases in one section, so what I did was went mass colosi, as I had gathered up 8 while harassing with stalkers, then I just rolled their base

IceMarker

Aylinato said:
So today is my b-day and apparently the blizzard gods are looking favorably towards me.
Happy Birthday!

In map-related news, I've updated the beta constantly over the course of the day and I've finally settled on a stable 'build' after about 13 'builds'. Anyone is welcome to jump on Battle.net now and join in a few rounds it's quite as fun as I expected. EVERY SINGLE MATCH HELPS ME BALANCE! Thanks already to those of you who are willing to take time out of your day to help come play! The open beta will last until October 31st, 2010 in which I will switch back to closed development for final polishing before final release. I look forward to playing against you guys!

EDIT: Shadow Assault 2.4 has been released! One final patch before my attention fully shifts to Arena and SA2!
Changelog said:

-- Changed some tooltip descriptions
-- Changed some variant definitions
-- Minor bugfixes

-- Added Fire Suppression System upgrade to the Shadow Compound
-- Decreased building life regeneration rate from 3 to 1
Hope you guys keep playing and you can even use it as practice for Arena! :lol

mcrae

ugh, im at home on a reading week from college and my desktop is up at school. no sc2 since thursday night im going through withdrawals lol

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Lol just did a 4v4. The other team had Panda in it. So Im like lulz...then later I figure out through profile search its a different Panda. Screw your ID codes!!!

Ashhong said:
makes sense, thanks. im trying to learn zerg since my friend and i have trouble playing 2v2 when we are both protoss. harder than it looks :lol

Yeah it's definitely better with 2 different teams (unless your both zerg, you can creep across the map so fast:D ).

My friend and I play lots of 2v2 with him being protoss and me being zerg. I love facing terran bio balls when we get collosi and banelings together, incredible carnage.

Edit:
Corran Horn said:
Lol just did a 4v4. The other team had Panda in it. So Im like lulz...then later I figure out through profile search its a different Panda. Screw your ID codes!!!

What region are you from? I play in the SEA servers and i have been facing someone named panda as well (obviously not the one from here).

IceMarker

AdventureRacing said:
What region are you from? I play in the SEA servers and i have been facing someone named panda as well (obviously not the one from here).
You realize you can play on NA servers correct? (Which is where Panda is from.)

Tacitus_

Man, playing 2v2s with a bad partner makes my blood boil. Dammit, you're on two bases with nothing but raxes and you cant defend yourself agaiinst a single player's muta flock?

Couldn't even help him properly due to the bloody crack in Twilight Fortress between the mains.

MrMister said:
You realize you can play on NA servers correct? (Which is where Panda is from.)

I like to play on the local servers and i think it would be extremely disappointing if the numbers dwindled bcause people go to the NA servers.

Anyway i don't want to run into Panda. I hate ZvZ and it's even worse against someone who is actually competent with zerg:lol

Concept17

UnluckyKate said:
Won my first 1vs1 today. Feels good.

I just recently started doing 1v1 after a couple hundred team games. :p

7-5 so far, started in bronze, just got promoted to silver. Sooo much more stressful than playing team games. But victory is so much more glorious. Playing as zerg.

Boken

Banned
AdventureRacing said:
I like to play on the local servers and i think it would be extremely disappointing if the numbers dwindled bcause people go to the NA servers.

Anyway i don't want to run into Panda. I hate ZvZ and it's even worse against someone who is actually competent with zerg:lol

I don't know, I've been playing on SEA but there's just always a lack of people. I often end up matched against the exact same person I just played against and there's usually only around1000 games being played, even at prime time (I often play really late, after midnight or really early in the morning and there's about 150 games being played). It's kinda sad and makes me want to move base to NA : (

farnham

Banned
oh man i had like the most embarassing match ever. had a good army of colossi, zealots, high templar, stalkers and sentries and boxed attacked them to attack the lowground expansion in xelnaga caverns.

i was occupied then cuz i wanted a 4th expansion on the high yield and did not pay attention and when i came back the zealots were pounding siegetanks at the natural of the opponent and the hightemplars standed near the planetary fortress getting killed and the colossi got shot down by a few vikings because the stalkers were attacking something else..

still won somehow but wow that was embarassing.

Nyx

It took a few months, but I was finally able to fix my PC last night, and I will finally be playing SC2 tonight. :D

Excited like a baby.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
AdventureRacing said:

:) Good man, I feel the same. SEA/ANZ HWAITING!

Mairu

Anyone have any suggestions on how to become somewhat competent?

I love watching SC2, but I'm fucking GOD AWFUL at playing the game. I am extremely slow, lose track of units & buildings, and can't keep up with multitasking everything that has to go on. I'm not sure where to start in order to actually become even close to decent at this game.

Attending the Blizzcon tournament made me want to actually start playing in addition to watching pro matches, but just trying to get the basics down in custom games VS ai makes me frustrated at how awful I am at RTS :(

Boken said:
I don't know, I've been playing on SEA but there's just always a lack of people. I often end up matched against the exact same person I just played against and there's usually only around1000 games being played, even at prime time (I often play really late, after midnight or really early in the morning and there's about 150 games being played). It's kinda sad and makes me want to move base to NA : (

If you play on off peak hours it certainly makes sense to play on the NA servers and i don't blame you for that.

I enjoy the fact that it is a smaller community but i think a lot of people woudn't. I just hope enough stay so that it remains worthwhile to play on SEA servers.

Mairu said:

I love watching SC2, but I'm fucking GOD AWFUL at playing the game. I am extremely slow, lose track of units & buildings, and can't keep up with multitasking everything that has to go on. I'm not sure where to start in order to actually become even close to decent at this game.

Attending the Blizzcon tournament made me want to actually start playing in addition to watching pro matches, but just trying to get the basics down in custom games VS ai makes me frustrated at how awful I am at RTS :(

Play the game and keep watching replays. Play the game A LOT. Notice your mistakes and try to correct them.

also, use shortcuts. give every important building (or combination of similar buildings) their own key.

Ronok

Mairu said:

What I did when I first started was I looked up 1 build order for the race I wanted to play. Then I went into single player, on fastest speed (seeing as all online games are played at this speed) and I did that build order over and over until I had it pretty much down. It gives you a good idea of the pace you need to do things. After that I jumped online to see what would happen.

Honestly, after the short practice with the build order, I was fast enough to deal with the people I've come up against so far. I haven't really come up against anyone who has needed good micro skill to beat yet, so I'm primarily focussing on my macro. I'm also aiming to go for long games all the time, as I want to actually learn mid/end game stuff. :lol

Mairu

Ronok said:
What I did when I first started was I looked up 1 build order for the race I wanted to play. Then I went into single player, on fastest speed (seeing as all online games are played at this speed) and I did that build order over and over until I had it pretty much down. It gives you a good idea of the pace you need to do things. After that I jumped online to see what would happen.

Honestly, after the short practice with the build order, I was fast enough to deal with the people I've come up against so far. I haven't really come up against anyone who has needed good micro skill to beat yet, so I'm primarily focussing on my macro. I'm also aiming to go for long games all the time, as I want to actually learn mid/end game stuff. :lol
This was what my plan has been at least to get used to the basics, but man, I am SOOOOOOOOO BAD :lol . I am extremely slow in the game, but I know it'll just take practice & repeat play to be able to actually play at a decent speed

Don't be afraid to ladder, too. You've got nothing to lose, and there are plenty of people out there who are just as slow as you are, and the MM system will eventually start matching you against them.

farnham

Banned
Mairu said:
This was what my plan has been at least to get used to the basics, but man, I am SOOOOOOOOO BAD :lol . I am extremely slow in the game, but I know it'll just take practice & repeat play to be able to actually play at a decent speed
play against the AI first

if you can beat the AI at the highest difficulty you should start laddering

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Mairu said:
Just spam hotkeys and units. ez

Mairu said:

1. Watch pro SC2 games (you already did)

2. Watch your replays, look for three things:

a) Look at your resources. If you ever have more than 1000+ minerals, you should have built more production facilities.

b) Look at your income. If it falls behind your opponent's (in terms of workers) you should have made more workers. Work on always having a worker building.

c) Look at your APM. If it's lower than your opponents, spam clicks more (just kidding, don't listen to this).

Mairu said:
Doesn't the AI cheat @ the highest setting?

f u hazaro :(
Supposedly. It's a pointless thing to aim at anyways, because it's just going to teach you AI-specific timings and cheeses. The AI's fine for working on openings, as you have been doing, but not much else.

Mairu

vicissitudes said:
1. Watch pro SC2 games (you already did)

2. Watch your replays, look for three things:

a) Look at your resources. If you ever have more than 1000+ minerals, you should have built more production facilities.

b) Look at your income. If it falls behind your opponent's (in terms of workers) you should have made more workers. Work on always having a worker building.

c) Look at your APM. If it's lower than your opponents, spam clicks more (just kidding, don't listen to this).
I pretty much understand how SC2 works and understand the basics, it's just a matter of being able to perform. I started watching day9 soon after SC2 came out, I just stopped watching more than just his special shows after I played less and watched more and more.

It's just a matter of playing the game I guess and overcoming the fact that I REALLLLLY suck and need to play a lot in order to get basic rts fundamentals down. Trying to decide which race/build to start with to practice with. I originally was going to do Protoss w/4gate but that may be too complex as a learning build :lol

Ronok

Mairu said:

When I was doing it, I literally started the game, and went until I made a mistake in the build order, then restarted. I did this a ton of times because I was a complete idiot. Constantly missed putting drones on gas, or some other small thing. Eventually I had the build down pretty well.

Mairu said:
I pretty much understand how SC2 works and understand the basics, it's just a matter of being able to perform. I started watching day9 soon after SC2 came out, I just stopped watching more than just his special shows after I played less and watched more and more.

It's just a matter of playing the game I guess and overcoming the fact that I REALLLLLY suck and need to play a lot in order to get basic rts fundamentals down. Trying to decide which race/build to start with to practice with. I originally was going to do Protoss w/4gate but that may be too complex as a learning build :lol

I went with Protoss 4 gate as well... It's not really that complex when you get down to it. The biggest stumbling blocks are probably remembering to put drones on gas as soon as it finishes, and remembering to start warp gate tech....

Also, as you say you are slow, I hope you are using hot keys.. If I had to use the mouse for them things it would seriously slow me down. Drones come out a lot more consistently if you're just pressing 4 > E for example. =P

ultron87

Friends don't let friends 4-gate through the ladder.

It is a good tactic to know to use occasionally, but if it is the only thing you do you'll end up in diamond but your fundamentals/mid to late game will be garbage.

Ronok

ultron87 said:
Friends don't let friends 4-gate through the ladder.

It is a good tactic to know to use occasionally, but if it is the only thing you do you'll end up in diamond but your fundamentals/mid to late game will be garbage.

I meant I used it when I was against AI. I used it to improve my speed.

Mairu said:

Maybe I should elaborate. I'm not saying look at your last replay and go "oh, I had too much minerals piled up. I should have built more barracks. But I already knew that." I'm saying, if your last replay has you stockpiling minerals (for example), then in your next game, remember to build more barracks. Then check the replay. Did you use up more minerals? If no, play another game, and another, until you get better at building more barracks. If your replay shows that you did spend money better, but oh let's say your worker count fell behind, then play the next game and focus on getting your worker count up, then check your replay to see if you did.

I remember there was a streak of 20-30 games going from bronze to gold where I literally checked every replay right after the game and trying to pinpoint the biggest mistake I did that led to losing the game, then trying to improve that in the next game, then seeing if I did improve. It's cumbersome but really does help a lot.

Also I don't recommend just memorizing a build order or playing against comps and here's why. If you're a beginner, memorizing a build order isn't actually making you a better player. For example, let's say you 4-gate and your opponent barely fights it off. Now what? Your macro is still as bad as ever. It's much better to improve your overall play so you can perform better with many builds at every stage of the game. Playing against comps has a fatal flaw which is they are too predictable. If you play against them too much you might learn a strat that works really well against the AI strat but does not help you against the varied play of human opponents.

LakeEarth

Problem with facing very hard / insane AI (at lower levels when you don't know how to micro efficiently) is that they always , ALWAYS attack on one base. This makes it really hard to practice any fast expand builds because you defend it right away with a smaller army.

Tenks

Mairu said:

Play more. SC2 isn't a game about thinking until you're in the upper diamond league. Until then it's a game of mechanics. The only way to improve mechanics is through playing.

Tenks said:
Play more. SC2 isn't a game about thinking until you're in the upper diamond league. Until then it's a game of mechanics. The only way to improve mechanics is through playing.

I think upper diamond is pushing it. It becomes enjoyable from Gold League onwards. Before that it's just "protect yourself against some ridic all-in cheese and then strike back".

Tenks

mescalineeyes said:
I think upper diamond is pushing it. It becomes enjoyable from Gold League onwards. Before that it's just "protect yourself against some ridic all-in cheese and then strike back".

From observing a few games of even plat players I have to disagree. They have good intentions for their strategies it's just the execution is poor. Like say they want to do a standard 3rax.

-Their SCV to make the first rax isn't sent out until he has 150 minerals
-Refinery is not made exactly at 75 minerals
-Depots are missed
-SCV's are not constantly produced
-2rax added when they have 400+ minerals
-Stim isn't researched at the proper time; therefore the entire push timing is off

All these are mechanics. They know what they want to do. They want to get ~60 food with Stim+Shells, create a CC during the push. However with all the little mistakes added up their push comes a full game minute later than when mine comes out.

I just think it's bad practice to review a replay and think "If only I had 4 more vikings his collosi wouldn't have rolled me!" Instead you really need to focus on macro and mechanical mistakes. SC2 is more a real-time economy game than a real-time strategy game.

Scrow said:
got a replay? at least tell us the races :p

No replay. Training match, TvsT of course. I turbo Reaper him, then got back in his base with two reapers with +1 infantry weapons research, I was able to take his SCV very fast before he reacted. It leted me scout that he didn't have any aerial defense nor tanks so I MMM'd and drop 5 medivacs (and a Thor) in his base. There, when he engaged me with a dozen of Marines & Marauders, he pop ed 4 tanks and siege me so I Steampacks my army to get rid of those: I almost lost half my army, but if I had retreat, he could have turtle back on this. I went all in (but I knew I had a better economy and still had units in prod and ready for a second assault within a minute if I had failed) and he got nothing left and rage quit.

I was really proud because I didn't play a lot of 2vs2 (let's say, 10, and I won only 4 not because we were good, but mostly because they were terrible) and this was my first 1vs1 and it the game was quiet good for my standarts.

Concept17 said:
I just recently started doing 1v1 after a couple hundred team games. :p

7-5 so far, started in bronze, just got promoted to silver. Sooo much more stressful than playing team games. But victory is so much more glorious. Playing as zerg.

I really don't play for ladder or ratio or anything. I'm still in training match because I just want to play against people my level (beginner, really) and to have fun. The word here is learning. Learning techniques, micro, timing, use of units, etc... I played a game similar to the one up here, but against Protoss. I scout his Stargate very soon but let go and when I hit him with MMM to drop on his base, the guy had Carriers, Void Rays and a fucking Mothership to hide everything. My army didn't last 5 second and I lost the game: I could only blame me to not have scouted him better after that, didn't harass the guy, let him built his giant fleet alone...

I try to learn and to get most of the game, but it's unforgiving. Fun, but unforgiving.

Sblargh

Banned
SC2%202010-10-28%2001-35-57-89.jpg

I'll never win another game again.
I'm so happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom