• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceMarker

You guys won't believe this but I actually played 3 1v1's tonight! Since I was on a 6 win streak the last 3 matches I just played pitted me against 2 platinum and 1 gold player. I only beat the gold player. ZvZ and I won because we basically did the same tech to roaches except he over committed on some attacks and lost all his units, then he quit without a GG after I wiped out his 14 roaches with my 26. The 2 platinum players were both Protoss I lost too. The first match after watching the replay I was way out of his league. proxy Pylon + quick immortals = my demise as a Terran that game. The last match I played of the night was PvP. I actually could've won this one but I was being too fancy on timing and didn't scout his quick tech to Collosi. There were 3 times I could have pushed in his base and won. It basically ended with him wiping out my army with 6 collosi and then taking out my in-progress expo. All in all, feels good to play some games that don't involve cheese or Void Rays for once. I can't wait to actually be promoted though, seriously, I've been stuck in Silver 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 and Plat 4v4 for some time now.

Here's the 3 replays in order:

EDIT: Oh sweet, I finally got the Hot Shot achievement! That makes 4 Feats of Strength achievements for me!

AAaahhhh what do I need to do to get out of Bronze??? :(. Over my last 25 games, I'm 18 and 7, and my rating is 1700 something. Most of my games are against silvers, and occasionally golds.

I'm just tired of being the top of the bottom.

PatzCU

Revengeance said:
AAaahhhh what do I need to do to get out of Bronze??? :(. Over my last 25 games, I'm 18 and 7, and my rating is 1700 something. Most of my games are against silvers, and occasionally golds.

Same thing happens to me but in Silver

i'm trying to lose all my games so i can go to bronze and be comfortable about playing like a duffus, gold is too stress full i have to scout and macro pfffttt. I just want to wall in and make a lot of battlecruisers.

Revengeance said:

Okay, a ton of these questions flooding the thread lately. I will attempt to explain.

It's all a bit mysterious to prevent gaming the system, but as far as the community understands it, ladder promotion basically works like this: there is a hidden MMR (matchmaking rating) and an uncertainty value. Your MMR determines who your opponents are, and your league placement is based on your MMR value AND the uncertainty value.

When you play against an opponent and they are "slightly favored" that means that their MMR is higher than yours. If they are "favored" their MMR is significantly higher. In such cases, matchmaking expects you to lose. If you do lose, then your uncertainty value goes down because matchmaking predicted the outcome correctly. If you win, your uncertainty value goes up because matchmaking was "wrong" about your skill level.

How do you get promoted? Each league has an MMR range. Let's make up some numbers, 0-300 bronze, 300-600 silver, 600-900 gold, 900-1200 platinum, 1200+ diamond. Say you're in bronze and you want to get to silver. Your MMR has to be within 300-600, and your uncertainty value has to be low enough. Why? If your uncertainty value is high, then matchmaking doesn't want to place you right away. What if you really belong in platinum but haven't played enough games? This is why there are players in bronze who are ranked #1 and have a winning streak against gold players who are still in bronze. Each time you win against a gold player, your uncertainty value actually goes up, further preventing you from promotion. Commonly, the player will start playing platinum players and losing, decreasing the uncertainty value, and he eventually gets placed in gold.

A theory of mine, if you've played a ton of games, say 100 games vs bronze players, and recently got better and has a 10 game winning streak against gold players, you'll have a hard time getting promoted because matchmaking is so sure that you're in bronze based on 100 games that it will take you a while to get promoted, whereas if you've only played 10 games and then started winning against better players you will get promoted faster.

tl;dr: keep playing, you will be promoted eventually.

Aylinato

yea, team matchmaking sucks

today it was me and 3 bronze people vs plat/gold again

why am i getting bad allies against people my skill =(

I did however finally figure a way to use carriers amazingly, have them with dark templar and have your obs with your carriers

-plus stalkers, and zealots so the enemy thinks its normal their army is being slaughtered XD

Snow

Just watched the Blizzcon Starcraft 2 multiplayer panel. Pretty interesting stuff. They seem to have a good set of tools they use, and a good grasp of the strengths and weaknesses of each. I don't think there are many other RTS games where they go this in depth in balancing, but then there aren't any other RTS games that have quite the sales and competitive scene that Starcraft has.

They also should let David Kim interact more often with the community. Dude is pretty good at clearly articulating the exact reasoning behind balance problems and how patches were intended to address them. Though I guess he probably has a hand in the situation reports they write.

Anyway, you can find the panel on youtube fairly easily.

vicissitudes said:
A theory of mine, if you've played a ton of games, say 100 games vs bronze players, and recently got better and has a 10 game winning streak against gold players, you'll have a hard time getting promoted because matchmaking is so sure that you're in bronze based on 100 games that it will take you a while to get promoted, whereas if you've only played 10 games and then started winning against better players you will get promoted faster.

tl;dr: keep playing, you will be promoted eventually.

Thanks for the info, and that actually makes sense. My overall rating is 117-103, and the first half my 'career' was just a massacre, because I had never played Starcraft before. (No SC1, no beta, very limited RTS experience)

I guess I should just keep playing and try not to care about my tier.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
I got promoted to Silver last night. Took way longer than I expected it to. I have several friends in Platinum that really shouldn't be there. They have worst win ratios, against low rated opponents, and less games played in total. But the theory posted above is probably right. I needed a good 20 games to get into my mojo. A lot of those games were losses. Finally, I picked up the pace and consider myself a decent player. The problem is, the system looks at my first 20 or so games, and considers me a much worse player than I actually am. Basically, this system sucks for people who improve. It only works for people who stay at a constant skill level.

Aylinato

alright, blizzard is telling me to not 4v4 as I just got put together against diamond/plat level players with only bronze/gold allies /cries self to sleep

as I had two zerg allies not build armies UNTIL they were at my base. Lucky for me blink had finished and I killed 4 (7 minute armies) with around 8 stalkers+warpgating stalkers in

*cries*

Hot damn I suck playing PvP. I can never accurately figure out what to do. Either Zealots with legs with a 4gate or Stalkers it just never rolls for me.

That being said though I have yet to lose to a Protoss player if I am Terran and I do a quick Medi drop with Marauders and Marines. Just destroys them every time.

ProudClod said:
I got promoted to Silver last night. Took way longer than I expected it to. I have several friends in Platinum that really shouldn't be there. They have worst win ratios, against low rated opponents, and less games played in total. But the theory posted above is probably right. I needed a good 20 games to get into my mojo. A lot of those games were losses. Finally, I picked up the pace and consider myself a decent player. The problem is, the system looks at my first 20 or so games, and considers me a much worse player than I actually am. Basically, this system sucks for people who improve. It only works for people who stay at a constant skill level.

Something else that's kinda tricky, you were probably a silver/gold level player who was stuck in bronze. The players you were playing against, even though they are in silver/gold, might be in the same situation as you where they're really platinum level waiting to be promoted, or bronze level waiting to be demoted, so the whole league system is actually kinda volatile.

On a personal note, trying to get into 2v2 diamond, I hate it HATE IT when I'm at that point where I'm beating all the platinum teams and losing to all the diamond teams. It's like I'm on the cusp of getting to the next league but can't get over the hump :(

Aylinato

vicissitudes said:
Something else that's kinda tricky, you were probably a silver/gold level player who was stuck in bronze. The players you were playing against, even though they are in silver/gold, might be in the same situation as you where they're really platinum level waiting to be promoted, or bronze level waiting to be demoted, so the whole league system is actually kinda volatile.

On a personal note, trying to get into 2v2 diamond, I hate it HATE IT when I'm at that point where I'm beating all the platinum teams and losing to all the diamond teams. It's like I'm on the cusp of getting to the next league but can't get over the hump :(

gl on getting into diamond 2v2, it took me and my ally around 10 games against pure diamond teams to get into diamond. so, GL HF!

Bildocube

Starcraft II newbie question. If you have an unused SCV/Probe/Drone, you can call it up with F1. Is there anyway to call up an unused harvester without the camera automatically centering to the unit? It would make some things much quicker.

Bildocube said:
Starcraft II newbie question. If you have an unused SCV/Probe/Drone, you can call it up with F1. Is there anyway to call up an unused harvester without the camera automatically centering to the unit? It would make some things much quicker.
f1
control + f1 will select all idle workers
oops didnt see you had that already in there i'm pretty sure it doesnt centre on the worker unles you double tap f1

Jayx77

BruceLeeRoy said:
If someone pauses the game can you unpause it or do you have to wait for them?

You can unpause it. I was matched up with a guy that did it twice. The first time, I told him that wasn't cool, he apologized and then did it again. I waited a minute and then unpaused it.
I had about 20 Banshees and 10 Vikings waiting for him when he returned. :lol

Aylinato said:
alright, blizzard is telling me to not 4v4 as I just got put together against diamond/plat level players with only bronze/gold allies /cries self to sleep

as I had two zerg allies not build armies UNTIL they were at my base. Lucky for me blink had finished and I killed 4 (7 minute armies) with around 8 stalkers+warpgating stalkers in

*cries*

To be fair if you were able to hold off all four teams at once than it's not like your opposition is any good either.

Aylinato

AdventureRacing said:
To be fair if you were able to hold off all four teams at once than it's not like your opposition is any good either.

I know, it's just I can't counter-offensive, im not QXC, im just not that uber

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
The new Funday Monday
2v2. You and teammate need to play same race. Whatever unit your teammate makes, you cannot build. So he can build marines/marauders/vikings while you can build anything other than those.

fanboi

Banned
Corran Horn said:
The new Funday Monday
2v2. You and teammate need to play same race. Whatever unit your teammate makes, you cannot build. So he can build marines/marauders/vikings while you can build anything other than those.

Thats how I usually plays.

:(

JoeFu

Banned
Any idea when the games they showed at Blizzcon are going to be uploaded? I just played a Left 2 Die on Bnet, but I don't think its the same one they showed. Wasn't very good...

Corran Horn

JoeFu said:
Any idea when the games they showed at Blizzcon are going to be uploaded? I just played a Left 2 Die on Bnet, but I don't think its the same one they showed. Wasn't very good...
"Sometime soon"

I assume they wanted it for Blizzcon people first then release after. I never got to play Dota because of the line but that along with bejeweled seemed to be the interesting ones.

Ashhong

Aylinato said:
yea, team matchmaking sucks

today it was me and 3 bronze people vs plat/gold again

why am i getting bad allies against people my skill =(

I did however finally figure a way to use carriers amazingly, have them with dark templar and have your obs with your carriers

-plus stalkers, and zealots so the enemy thinks its normal their army is being slaughtered XD

What kind of level are you playing where you can freely mass up carriers + dark templar?? :lol

Corran Horn

LakeEarth said:
Hey, when recording your monitor like Day 9 does, what program does he use? Fraps? Is there something free that works similarly?
Fraps will only record game stuff and not the switching back and forth from webcam to game. Im assuming he is using a combination of Adobe Flash Media Encoder to stream/record plus some screen grabber like VHScrCap.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
these three zerglings... are heroes.

epiAk.jpg

7E6kj.jpg

they singlehandedly stopped all mining at his last operational base half a screen away from a battlecruiser.

terrans, careful with that autorepair button.

i totally botched my 15hatch and lost it to a pair of bunkers [i burrowed my spine inrange of the bunker, wowz] but i managed to claw my way back in with banelings and roaches.

Aylinato

Ashhong said:
What kind of level are you playing where you can freely mass up carriers + dark templar?? :lol

Actually those carriers and DT were pretty late game and it was against plat/gold

Tho now I've lost a lot of matches due to allies with 1 base, for 40 minutes!!! I've begun to just take my allies natural because it's like wasted resources.

Howeve I now am facing bronze league people after getting stomped on all day and now I've been destroying people as they don't get upgrades, also they scarfice a lot of units with the command move, lol, I feel bad but hey it's what happens when I don't get allies my skill

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
How in the fucking hell can I counter MMM with Zerg? I hate this build. I just lost 4 straight games to it, trying different strategies. Fucking Terrans.

Meeru

Banned
ProudClod said:
How in the fucking hell can I counter MMM with Zerg? I hate this build. I just lost 4 straight games to it, trying different strategies. Fucking Terrans.
banelings, infestors..but they require micro

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ProudClod said:
zergling/baneling/roach/infestor in various frequencies.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Banelings and infestors... So, what exactly do I do with them? I need to know what units to target, when, what to do on offense/defense etc.

jns

ProudClod said:
Banelings and infestors... So, what exactly do I do with them? I need to know what units to target, when, what to do on offense/defense etc.
use the infestors fungle growth to cover the MM, then roll in your banelings. I like to have some speedlings and roaches as well to deal with the odd ground mech that gets brought to these battles.

Tacitus_

ProudClod said:

Fungal the terran ball, rightclick (not attack move) banelings into the marines at the back of the ball. As the terran can't micro, rofl as most of his army dissipates into green goo.

Clean up with lings or roaches.

Ashhong

Tacitus_ said:
Fungal the terran ball, rightclick (not attack move) banelings into the marines at the back of the ball. As the terran can't micro, rofl as most of his army dissipates into green goo.

Clean up with lings or roaches.

Whats the difference with right clicking and a-moving blings? i usually a-move them to behind the bio ball. is it better to right click the marine in the back?

mcrae

Ashhong said:
Whats the difference with right clicking and a-moving blings? i usually a-move them to behind the bio ball. is it better to right click the marine in the back?

its cause they are a suicide unit, and do the same amount of damage when they are killed by other units as whne they blow themselves up. so by using the move command, they (hopefully) split their ball in half, half going to each side of the marine ball, and as the marines kill them they are encircling the marines. if you were to a-move, then many of the blings would detonate themselves at the same time ( i believe) resulting in many individual instances of two blings attacking one marine, where only one would suffice. in the move-command scenario, the closest blings to the marines ball will be the ones that blow up first, and if any actually do make it to the last marine, they will just attack it anyways.... im sure someone has a better/more detailed/strategic reasoning/explanation, but theres a short one for noe

Tacitus_

Banelings also do the same damage whether they explode by reaching their target or are just killed - so while they're gunning for the back of the terran ball they explode everywhere around it as the bioball tries to kill them.

rsam87

I'm starting to face 1300-1400 Diamond players now and I'm encountering more cheese than ever now.

The three protosses I played last night:
- Korean 4 Gate
- Korean 4 Gate
- Double proxy gateway

I only won the double proxy.

Also faced a Zerg who didn't know what to do after his 5 Roach Rush failed.

Seems like I have a bit of headroom to move up.

Korean 4 Gate is harder to deal with than I thought, Gotta pull probes to chase those pylons. Didn't help t hat one of the 4 gates was on jungle basin -_-.

I got a "toss op" from a terran last night, made me feel good.:D

IceMarker

Finally, I'm ready to announce my future plans for the Shadow Assault series. I present to you...

fdvknc.jpg

Shadow Assault Arena is the competitive version of the original Shadow Assault. You and up to 7 opponents fight on a Tarsonis battlefield, fighting to destroy each others Shadow Academies and Shadow Compounds. Last player standing wins. Sounds simple, until you see how powerful the abilities you learned to use in SA work against you in SAA. This is true covert assault action.

Currently, Shadow Assault Arena is in Open Beta. A multiplayer map by myself this large cannot be tested with a single person alone. Feel free to play it by searching for the map name and please play it a lot! All feedback will be more valueable than ever up until the final release. Balancing, bug fixes, and much more are to come and it will all be based around player feedback so I appreciate as much as possible! There's a bug there? let me know. One ability overpowered? I'll fix it. I just need your feedback! You can play the beta right now by searching for "Shadow Assault Arena" when creating for a custom game.

Thank you guys for supporting the original Shadow Assault, NeoGAF really has been the biggest player here when it comes to support and feedback. I hope you continue to enjoy Shadow Assault and look forward to Shadow Assault Arena as I continue development.

When final release comes I will make a more formal post with changelog, stats, etc.

Also, Shadow Assault 2: Retaliation is in the works and it will continue the story of the original Shadow Assault. More info to come by the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom