• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sblargh said:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_5kyRPaBe2Ds/TMj3g2DmMJI/AAAAAAAAAOA/UZlatJiXYM4/s1152/SC2%202010-10-28%2001-35-57-89.jpg[IMG]
I'll never win another game again.
[spoiler] I'm so happy! [/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Nice, congrats. I posted the exact same image a while back hahaha. I've lost motivation to play 1v1 since then.

Aylinato

yea, team games r way more fun for me personally, though I feel there is a need to nerf mutas in team games, as if I can see a huge bunch together it's GG especially if their team is feeding them gas. I have tried HTs to counter large bunches, but their speed does negate that amazing unit that I rarely get to use anymore(having to go colosi almost every game =(

(team battles btw, 1v1 is fine, cause if I were to let them build that many mutas I deserve to loose.

also, for some reason after watching the last daily and MrMister telling me to just go fucking kill the enemy base, I've gotten quite better at pushes and in general using a lot more variety of units(I'll have a pack of z-lots, immortals, and sentries in 1 group and a pack of stalkers/colosi in a 2nd group) I just wish there was a unit I could swap out for the colosi, I may see if I could do a combo of carriers/void rays, but who knows

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
congrats!

really the secret to happy laddering is to not commit yourself to your score on any one day.
if you login, win 2 and lose one and you're feeling pumped, play some more. but if you get that feeling in your stomach... play custom 1v1s!

if you login and go 0:3, take a break from the ladder! dont obsess over the 45~ points you just lost, spend the day with the build order tester or playing customs and tomorrow you'll easily make those points back.

speaking of points, woo 1.4k! im coming for you yawee! [i think you're the gaf diamond points leader anyway]

mrmisters day9 quotes helped me win a game today. saw a terran go 1rax CC into banshee and i started to go into frowntown [gogo spire/detector]... then i remembered i had 8ish roaches, i checked his front and he only had a bunker of marines. ran by, killed all his scv's and only lost one base of drones to the banshees before the mutas popped.

felt nice.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Pandaman said:
mrmisters day9 quotes helped me win a game today. saw a terran go 1rax CC into banshee and i started to go into frowntown [gogo spire/detector]... then i remembered i had 8ish roaches, i checked his front and he only had a bunker of marines. ran by, killed all his scv's and only lost one base of drones to the banshees before the mutas popped.

felt nice.

"Go fucking kill him" has lost me more games than it's won me. It's always a case of me feeling like I can wipe him (or at least severely cripple him), but I usually fail at the main attack then fail to defend against the counter a few minutes later.

My Zerg play revolves heavily around containing the opponents expansions and counter-teching when needed. I only go for the kill-shot when I know they are low on minerals or they are doing a risky-expansion build.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ahoyhoy said:
"Go fucking kill him" has lost me more games than it's won me. It's always a case of me feeling like I can wipe him (or at least severely cripple him), but I usually fail at the main attack then fail to defend against the counter a few minutes later.

My Zerg play revolves heavily around containing the opponents expansions and counter-teching when needed. I only go for the kill-shot when I know they are low on minerals or they are doing a risky-expansion build.
you're doing it right.

if you've got nowhere to be, you should be pleased as punch to pin someone to a natural and never let go until he runs dry and gg's. grab an expo or two, turn on your favourite music and sit back and wait for the suicide push.

extra points if they say 'just end it already' at some point in the match.

ahoyhoy said:

Pop quiz: If you're ahead, what should you do? Try to go in for the kill, or get more ahead?

Artosis: "Get more ahead!"

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
vicissitudes said:
Pop quiz: If you're ahead, what should you do? Try to go in for the kill, or get more ahead?

:lol

vicissitudes said:

:lol

Sometimes I beat the opponent back so easily I want to charge my units after him and destroy his natural. But then I hear Artosis and Day9 in the back of my head and look to expand, or do a safe attack like a Muta attack on his mineral line.

Nyx

So…

Who else started out with a skirmish vs the AI, trying to find an ‘’Altar of Heroes’’ while building your base ?

It’s been WAY too long since I played SC. :lol

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
not sure if this was already covered in the thread, but it looks like HotS will land in 2012, not 2011 (as I had hoped).

http://sclegacy.com/news/23-sc2/904-blizzcon-2010-heart-of-the-swarm-wrap-up

Regarding the actual content and mechanics of Heart of the Swarm, Sigaty says that's also very much in flux, which is why a release date in 2011 is not likely. "We will be very hard pressed to bring it out next year. I don't have a date, but it's more ambitious, it's bigger than what Warcraft: The Frozen Throne was to Reign of Chaos and I don't anticipate it being done in that one year time frame."
:(

i wonder what that means for Blizzard in 2011? diablo 3 is unlikely... maybe only another WoW xpac?

Trasher

Trasher

Scrow said:
wait, what? really? source?
That's just my opinion. Sorry. :lol

They killed off Arthas. That kinda ends the Warcraft story that we all know. And if Blizzard is working on a new MMO it would make a bit of sense to start moving away from WoW maybe. I dunno. Just my speculation.

V_Arnold

Trasher said:

They killed off Arthas. That kinda ends the Warcraft story that we all know. And if Blizzard is working on a new MMO it would make a bit of sense to start moving away from WoW maybe. I dunno. Just my speculation.

Lol, you are so wrong. Emerald Dream is coming, Blizz has already said it.
Arthas might be the main stuff in WarCraft 3 (and that is not even true, but hey), but World of Warcraft is not just about WC3 lore.

John Lagrave said:
The thing we’re trying to do in the next expansion is pretty f’ing awesome. We’ve now got a central idea [for the next expansion] that makes me happy and gets me excited, and it makes everyone else happy and excited. When everybody gets happy and excited, we know we’re on to something. We don’t know if it’s going to be the final thing, but we know something good is coming. Will it top Cataclysm? I think it’s pretty freakin’ awesome. I’m really hopeful.

Trasher

V_Arnold said:
Really? Where did they say this? Usually it takes two years for expansions though. So 2011 would most likely be out of the question for one.

V_Arnold said:
Arthas might be the main stuff in WarCraft 3 (and that is not even true, but hey), but World of Warcraft is not just about WC3 lore.
I'm aware of that. It just kinda concluded the game for me. They are trying too hard to milk it now. RIP Vanilla WoW days. :p

Scrow said:
not sure if this was already covered in the thread, but it looks like HotS will land in 2012, not 2011 (as I had hoped).

http://sclegacy.com/news/23-sc2/904-blizzcon-2010-heart-of-the-swarm-wrap-up

:(

i wonder what that means for Blizzard in 2011? diablo 3 is unlikely... maybe only another WoW xpac?
Frozen Throne was amazing. Probably the best expansion Blizzard has ever developed. If he's right about it being bigger, I'm fine with waiting.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Trasher said:

oh right, ok. in that case you're wrong. there's no way cataclysm will be the last WoW xpac while it has 11-12 million paying subscribers.

V_Arnold said:
where do they actually say it's emerald dream?

anyway, i don't want to get off topic. this is a thread about SC2, not WoW. :)

Trasher

zoukka said:
U insane if you think they'll let story dictate anything relating to the longevity of WoW. Insane.
That's not what I said or meant. I'm just stating my opinion on the current state of the game in relation to the story. I was a big Warcraft player and enjoyed seeing the continuation of that storyline. I realize there's a whole bunch of other gods/dragons and whatnot out there to make expansions for, but it just doesn't do anything for me or for pretty much all of my friends that used to play WoW back in its prime. I find it hard to believe there are still 12 million people actively playing that game. :lol

Scrow said:
oh right, ok. in that case you're wrong. there's no way cataclysm will be the last WoW xpac while it has 11-12 million paying subscribers.

anyway, i don't want to get off topic. this is a thread about SC2, not WoW. :)
You started it! :p

Btw, you guys took my comment completely wrong, and that's partly my fault because you didn't understand how I meant it. What I meant by WoW expansions being done was that I would most likely not be interested in them because I don't think they will be any good by then. Anyways though, I'll end my WoW talk here haha.

Darklord

Banned
Not sure if this is true but Huk and EG Machine(I don't even know who that is) is said to be playing a bit in TNT game night at Giantbomb. I would love to see a Brad vs Huk game. That would be hilarious.

Tacitus_

Trasher said:

Warcraft 2: Beyond The Dark Portal ended Warcraft, then they Made Warcraft 3 and made up a bunch of new stuff. They're not on a lease, it's their story, their world and their characters.

not to mention that WC3 still has stuff left

Snow

Yeah, I think they might've said about 12 months again for SC2 expansions at some point, but 18 months has been their ballpark estimate for HotS for a while. And I'm going to be amazed if they even make that. On the other hand, I'm actually kind of excited by the fact that we're going to have an active dev team on this game for probably 3-4 years. That's something that usually only happens for MMOs, and while I'm not expecting the type of content patches MMOs get it seems like they're planning on the game continuing to accumulate features, in particular for battle.net. If you read interviews with them, and Browder in particular, there is a lot of 'yeah, we're probably going to do that within a year/before HotS/eventually' (see this reddit post for some of that). While a lot of it is typical 'blizzard time' intentions, that type of long tail development cycle luxury isn't usually present for non-MMO games.

Speaking about stuff they intend to get to, cross region support is one they had fairly firmly said would happen within a few months of WoL release. Looking at this interview at shacknews (which has some pretty good questions) it seems that while they still want to do it, it's now gone into the 'no timeframe' bin. :(

Deadman

One other thing i think is great about having 2 more expansions is that normal gamer interest will be revived each time one comes out. It could quite easily be just down to the hardcore in 3 years time with no expansions, but this way there will be a large spike for each expansion which hopefully has more and more people sticking around each time.

ultron87

Commentary from the Giant Bomb thing that is still ongoing: "It looks like Norm's space spiders are attacking Brad's Temple of Nod"
:lol :lol

mcrae

pretty happy right now. i usually suuuck at 1v1, so much that i quit playing. havent played for months in my gold league, then a week ago i lost three games in a row to diamond/plat players. today i just played and beat a plat player and got promoted to diamond :D

the only reason i wont is cause of watching the gsl/day 9 commentaries. i scouted with a 10 drone, saw that 14 hatch was safe, did that, put overlords near his base ready to look in if needed, peaked up later on with a ling to see 4 gateways+cyber core so i assume hes going to push soon, move my small army back to my base and leave lings at the watch towers, see his push moving out and immediately make spine crawlers, bring the queen from my main and use both to infuse the spines and after that attack failed it was just a matter of time.

watching the commentaries helps so much though, the whole concept of when to make drones vs units... awesome. heres the replay if anyone is interested/ wants to tell me where to improve

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/97293-1v1-protoss-zerg-shakuras-plateau

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
day9.gif

Weekend GAF GO!

The hatchery won't produce larva when it already has 3. A larva inject won't stop natural larva production but once the larva pops it won't produce any more until you're down to 2 larva or less.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Man I suck with zerg. Going random in 4v4s to learn Terran/Zerg. Terran I can do alright with MMM/Tank pushes, my macro sucks though. Zerg....fuuuuuuuuu. Needs more practice.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Tacitus_ said:
And Panda, when will you get this shirt?

:O

i've actualy ordered a mousepad with a very similair design. :p
it'll be a good backup to my waifu mousepad.

I would totally rock that shirt though.

Corran Horn said:
Man I suck with zerg. Going random in 4v4s to learn Terran/Zerg. Terran I can do alright with MMM/Tank pushes, my macro sucks though. Zerg....fuuuuuuuuu. Needs more practice.
Zerg's easiest for me.

I fucking hate getting Protoss when I do random because it feels too structured. You get what you get in the same order all the time. I feel like I just make hard counters rather than making anything for a fun, unique strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom