• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcridMeat

Banned
I think I figured out why 3v3 is so damn shitty now. I got the Hot Shot achievement (go undefeated in placement matches) while placing into 3v3 random. The problem is, I went 3-2 and placed in silver. Since then every game I've played 3v3, even with the team I have in bronze, the other side has had at least two diamond/platinum players.

I went from having decent fun to just getting ass raped every game now. :(

edit: I'm assuming this was a bug in the system, and I'm either being matched as a platinum or higher. Or it is just a coincidence that the matchmaking of late has been this way.

theultimo

AcridMeat said:
I think I figured out why 3v3 is so damn shitty now. I got the Hot Shot achievement (go undefeated in placement matches) while placing into 3v3 random. The problem is, I went 3-2 and placed in silver. Since then every game I've played 3v3, even with the team I have in bronze, the other side has had at least two diamond/platinum players.

edit: I'm assuming this was a bug in the system, and I'm either being matched as a platinum or higher. Or it is just a coincidence that the matchmaking of late has been this way.
I've been getting that in 2v2. I'm in gold, but they keep putting me into diamond.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
http://www.ustream.tv/day9tv Day[J] coaching djWheat coming up soon, should be quite interesting.

He's gonna watch Wheat play some ladder games, take notes on them, then tell wheat some things to improve on, then he's gonna play some games like that, then finally he's gonna play some games using those new tips + having day9 in his ear pointing things out + helping

Slasher

Hope everyone enjoyed the coverage this weekend. First major Starcraft 2 production for the Live on Three crew (did 2 games at WCG USA but that doesn't count), so can only get better from here. Sorry for the stream hiccups, those were all internet related.

All the VOD's are automatically archived on http://www.ustream.tv/channel/djwheat below under Videos. They will officially be put up on http://www.djWHEAT.blip.tv and http://msi.myeg.net/ in the next day or two.

I will again be providing coverage and updates for this weekend's MASSIVE MLG Dallas event which will be three days straight of high level action. Just wait till the player list is announced. Day9, djWHEAT and JP will be casting.

Thanks everyone!

HolyCheck

Slasher said:
Hope everyone enjoyed the coverage this weekend. First major Starcraft 2 production for the Live on Three crew (did 2 games at WCG USA but that doesn't count), so can only get better from here. Sorry for the stream hiccups, those were all internet related.

All the VOD's are automatically archived on http://www.ustream.tv/channel/djwheat below under Videos. They will officially be put up on http://www.djWHEAT.blip.tv and http://msi.myeg.net/ in the next day or two.

I will again be providing coverage and updates for this weekend's MASSIVE MLG Dallas event which will be three days straight of high level action. Just wait till the player list is announced. Day9, djWHEAT and JP will be casting.

Thanks everyone!

Many thanks to you and all the guys Slasher, p.s. was that you on djwheats stream a few weeks back showing off your tattoo? if so, awesome.

and loving how quickly all the vods get put up.

HolyCheck

Do not read the comments in that thread unless you yourself lack commonsense and speak only based on a love for the sport and thus think any laws that hamper the thing you love are evil.

Syth_Blade22 said:
Do not read the comments in that thread unless you yourself lack commonsense and speak only based on a love for the sport and thus think any laws that hamper the thing you love are evil.
yeah hopefully this can get resolved fairly quickly whatever the result so that all the stupid in the weekly blizzard wants to kill broodwar and molest the family of everyone involved thread can finally go away.

HolyCheck

Some of the things day9 is showing wheat are great. It's little things too. like using your mouse and keyboard to be doing two different things at once

oh wow the thread got locked pretty quickly, these threads about the legal issues with blizz and the korean broadcasters ususaly go on for pages and pages of stupid waah blizz wants brodwar to die and lulz broodwars graphics so shit i hope blizz burns it back and forths with the occasional "I'm an expert" type rants.
TL really needs some more agressive moderation for me to want to spend more time in thier forums.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Syth_Blade22 said:
Some of the things day9 is showing wheat are great. It's little things too. like using your mouse and keyboard to be doing two different things at once
Yeah this ep was pretty excellent advice for playing having trouble improving or moving up.

Makes me feel better about my ~60APM :lol . I never multi click and I just click forget, look at mini map, minerals, macro my units.

I'm usually deliberate and calm and only focusing on spending my money, not caring about my army. "Is my 1a army going to die? Yes/no? Make units, make supply.
pieatorium said:
TL really needs some more agressive moderation for me to want to spend more time in thier forums.
:lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
pieatorium said:
whats with the smiley lol, usually even the most retaded posts only get a warning over there
They can only moderate so much. They are pretty draconian, but the mods can't filter all of the hundreds of messages that flood a page in a popular topic.

I mean just about every TL thread I see has red mod text in it :lol

I mean if you look here, there's like 18 people banned in the past 24 hours.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=32696&currentpage=422

Not even including the insane amount of warnings that are given.

Hazaro said:
They can only moderate so much. They are pretty draconian, but the mods can't filter all of the hundreds of messages that flood a page in a popular topic.

shit ive seen dragona ban 18 people in one thread like it aint nothing

good old sexist ban bait threads

IceMarker

Well guys, even though I think no one played SAA, I still will press on through development by myself and with select others. I am saddened by the fact that I posted about both Shadow Assault and Shadow Assault Arena on 3 different sites (NeoGAF, TeamLiquid, and SCII Forums.) and less than 10 games were played per day. Remember that every game helps motivate me as well as helps be balance SAA.

To those still supporting me, I thank you. Alas, SAA will be taken down for now as of this post, I will announce in the thread when it comes back on final release.

I should probably say that alot of my thoughts on TL moderating does come from the Broodwar forums when the post about the Blizzard vs KesPa/Korean broadcasters stuff. These threads generally seems as though you can talk massive shit about blizzard and how starcraft 2 is a terrible game that only noobs play and not even get a warning but if you say something that is sensible but pro blizzaed you will get banned. let me dig up a couple of threads from a couple of weeks back when i kinda stoped reading the TL forums.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Dreams-Visions said:
but in the GomTV tourney, they're all in the same place....right? or was that a production trick to make it appear as such?
Alot of tournaments everyone is there but still use Battle.net

MLG/BlizzCon/GomTV GSL/etc

edit: Holy shit this post is from like 5 hours ago and it finally went through

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Any good resources for improving as a zerg player? I've been watching PsyStarcraft and trying to google commentated IdrA matches. However, this really isn't enough. Any guides? List of build orders? etc.

Snow

Hazaro said:

I think that the moderation lacks consistency and the right focus in TL for the most part. They have specific rules where e.g. they disallow something like 'terran is OP' discussion in most threads, and even then they overuse warnings instead of bans for the most part. But on the other hand moderation for posting contentless, mindless posts isn't really done as much and thus the moderation fails to address the pretty big signal-to-noise ratio problem a lot of discussions on that board have. And yeah, the Blizzard vs Kespa stuff gets particularly stupid, since people seem to take it as an excuse to basically be a cheerleader for BW and against SC2 or vice versa.

I admit though that I don't go that much on the forum part of TL, in part because it does feels there is such a high percentage of bad posters. So I might not have the most accurate image of the forum.

Boken

Banned
ProudClod said:
Any good resources for improving as a zerg player? I've been watching PsyStarcraft and trying to google commentated IdrA matches. However, this really isn't enough. Any guides? List of build orders? etc.

Pick one build order and then heaaaaaaaaaps of practice. Zerg is so mechanically demanding with inject larvae and spreading creep and using larvae up consistently and constant repetition is the best way to improve on those things and thus improve as a zerg player.

ProudClod said:

Check out teamliquid.net and go to the liquipedia, look for Zerg build orders. That will give you a rough idea on a couple different builds with regards to timings for the first 6-7 minutes of a match. Liquipedia on Zerg Strategy:
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Zerg_Strategy

Has a ton of build orders or general build strategies versus each specific race, as well as overarching principles you should be keeping in mind while playing. Just click through the articles and find a couple builds you can execute easily enough and work on ones that use units you like.

However, reading things will only get you so far. I would say it helps a lot more to see these things in action, and for that, the best resource available to all new players or people trying to learn how to play has got to be the Day[9] Daily. Here's the page on teamliquid, which has links to his youtube channel, bliptv, ustream, as well as a (not entirely up to date, but close) list of all the dailies and the topic covered:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=104154

For example, check out Dailies #179 and 180 (learning ZvT), as well as skimming through for stuff focused on Zerg play or just general strategies (eg #194: Drone Timing or #163 Gold Level:Fixing the Little Things). There is a ton of information available in those videos just begging to be learned by players. Since watching his stuff (started around daily 170 and have watched pretty consistently) I easily improved my game a lot, went from mid gold level to very top of a platinum league in less than 50 games and if I had kept playing consistently instead of stopping for like 2.5 weeks I have no doubt I would be diamond right now. Taking the advice he gives and applying it to your games will definitely make you a better player.

Aylinato

anyone know another way to upload sc2 replays aside from the one with curse(for some reason my account is...dunno)

anyway, whats another site, I have a sweet 3v3 I wanna share

Biff

MrMister said:
Well guys, even though I think no one played SAA, I still will press on through development by myself and with select others. I am saddened by the fact that I posted about both Shadow Assault and Shadow Assault Arena on 3 different sites (NeoGAF, TeamLiquid, and SCII Forums.) and less than 10 games were played per day. Remember that every game helps motivate me as well as helps be balance SAA.

To those still supporting me, I thank you. Alas, SAA will be taken down for now as of this post, I will announce in the thread when it comes back on final release.
Sorry to hear.. I really thought TL would eat this kind of game up.

It was fun. Played 3-4 games myself. Perhaps your next venture could be aimed in the <20 minute/game range? 1+ hour is just too much for me, sorry!

Good luck! And don't forget to include SA on your resume if you intend to make a career out of game development :)

Zzoram

The reason there are so many bad posts on TL is because the membership went up by like 20x with Starcraft II, but they don't have more mods than before.

Back in the Broodwar days, 1000 people viewing online was a rare occurance. Now under 4000 is rare, and during big events it'll spike past 13,000.

Ronok

MrMister said:

Don't be down hearted. If you really believe your map is something everyone will enjoy, then it means you need to take a different approach with your promotion of it. Personally I never saw a post about it until now, so you probably need to make things stand out more for those of us who skim through a lot the topic.

I did a search though and watched your trailer because I was interested, and I don't know if it does the best job of showing it off. For example at the start you kind of just stand still a target enemies while you're getting beaten down by them. It would be more exciting if you showed the ghost destroying them, taking minimal damage.

Also, because of the ghost, I was expecting more cloaking around and taking things out while avoiding detection and things like that. I was a little disappointed. :(

IceMarker

I'm not really much of an advertiser. Forum threads are all I know how to do, the Trailer you watched is somewhat old and for the original Shadow Assault as well. The trailer for SAA and eventually SA2 I will work on for longer than one night. Besides, this was kind of expected with low feedback on the open beta, I didn't really wanted too many people to play it intentionally because it isn't quite finished yet. The point of the open beta was so that people would play and give me feedback as to what was underpowered or overpowered as well as bug fixes and things that simply needed changing.

As for average mission time, it depends on how many people you play with. The original Shadow Assault takes around an hour to complete with 1-4 people, while 5 or more means a shorter match of around 40 minutes. Shadow Assault Arena, from the limited feedback I got and the rounds I played, took around 30 minutes on average. I suppose my next update to the original will include major fixes to player number balance.

As for SAA, I'm going into closed beta again but any GAF member is willing to join in a session as long as I catch them online. Final release will probably be in less than 2 weeks, depending on what gets in my way. Shadow Assault 2 will begin shortly there after.

My plans I guess right now to make people more aware of Shadow Assault will consist of some sort of website or mega thread. I just need resources to do so. So far the only 3 ways to see info about the Shadow Assault series is TeamLiquid, SCII forums, and here on NeoGAF.

I just wish my maps could hit 750+ games per hour like the original SA did shortly after it was first released, but I digress...

Trickster

pieatorium said:
nah that was just a poking fun :lol

Ah okay :p

Still though, i'm surprised you don't think teamliquid.net is properly moderated, I think it's very well moderated considering it's size.

Gah, hate random 2v2s. Cheesy strats seem easiest on 2v2s. With 3v3s and 4v4s 1. too hard to coordinate and 2. distances usually too far. I get all these double proxys, cannon rushing, etc. Also hate the matchmaking system. I'm trying to get from plat to diamond, and I basically have to win some games where the opponents are favored. Except if they're favored, that means I'm up against 2 diamonds with a gold player. If I'm favored, I'm always against at least one gold/silver player and it doesn't help me get into diamond. Matchmaking why are you so laaaame.

AcridMeat said:

The game wants to promote you soon and is seeing if you're worthy. It's also a way to keep records at 50%.

Lose a few times and you'll be back to normal opponents.

zoukka

Mairu said:
More people should play Nexus Word Wars at odd hours of the night/morning (LIKE NOW.) ;_;

Nexus wars is so goddamn slow. Income wars and Battlecraft are more fun in the long run.

mcrae

Hazaro said:
I'm usually deliberate and calm and only focusing on spending my money, not caring about my army. "Is my 1a army going to die? Yes/no? Make units, make supply.

me too. i have this mental block that thinks i can throw my army at another army and as long as i ensure im working production, that its okay. this works maybe half the time lol

FoxSpirit

Hazaro said:

Wow, going on a rampage. But good, that place needs it. Little purge.
Wait, what does the remark "I'm White Knighting" from the recent ones mean there? Also, all banned posters this way had massive post counts :lol

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
StarCraft 2 is being weird :( I open it, type in my password, and then the login window just disappears. No message. Nothing. I'm left with the menu that allows me to go to options and play as a guest. I press escape, and the login screen popups again. I type in my password again, and the same thing happens.

Apath

ProudClod said:
StarCraft 2 is being weird :( I open it, type in my password, and then the login window just disappears. No message. Nothing. I'm left with the menu that allows me to go to options and play as a guest. I press escape, and the login screen popups again. I type in my password again, and the same thing happens.
I get the same exact thing. It allows me to log in as a Guest, but that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom