• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

webrunner

I think the notable thing about 7RR is not it's particularity as a build order, but as an application of genetic algorithms -that it's competitive is a sign of how strong genetic algorithms can be.

Sure, it's a geeky thing to be excited about, but we're playing a strategy computer game about space dudes shootin' other space dudes, to dismiss something just because the end result isn't 100% effective seems narrow-minded.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
V_Arnold said:
Adding my 5 cents here: with 5RR, you expanded behind your Roaches when you moved out. If you calculate the most efficient and fastest way to create most roaches, you get this. But you lack the better economy and the 300 mineral plus for the expand. Therefore, this IS an allin, while 5rr is simply an opening style, one you can easily retreat from.
if anything, the strongest asset a zerg can take away from this is its effect on the metagame now that zergs have a strong allin that can blindcounter past walloffs. its a zerg proxy gate/rax thats strongest asset is the possibility that a zerg might do it.

Pandaman said:
if anything, the strongest asset a zerg can take away from this is its effect on the metagame now that zergs have a strong allin that can blindcounter past walloffs. its a zerg proxy gate/rax thats strongest asset is the possibility that a zerg might do it.
Ugh, I lose to this in nearly every PvZ I play. I haven't figured out how to counter it yet, even when I see it coming. Zealots are just kited, and I can never get enough stalkers out in time, even when making only Stalkers.

Fellow Protoss users, HALP!!

Ashhong

Revengeance said:
Ugh, I lose to this in nearly every PvZ I play. I haven't figured out how to counter it yet, even when I see it coming. Zealots are just kited, and I can never get enough stalkers out in time, even when making only Stalkers.

good zealot/sentry micro is probably the only solution until you get out more stalkers

Ashhong

Zzoram said:
Slowly teching towards an Immortal helps too. Immortals rape Roaches.

True, but this 7RR build comes pretty quick. You would have to save your gas for that immortal to come in time, leaving no gas for sentry/stalkers. I must test this out today!

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Revengeance said:

If you scout it you can ff till your immortal comes out with a 2 gate robo build, hell if your really paranoid skip warp and go 1 gate robo and build gates while your immortal is building holding the ramp with a sentry.

Zzoram

webrunner said:
I think the notable thing about 7RR is not it's particularity as a build order, but as an application of genetic algorithms -that it's competitive is a sign of how strong genetic algorithms can be.

Sure, it's a geeky thing to be excited about, but we're playing a strategy computer game about space dudes shootin' other space dudes, to dismiss something just because the end result isn't 100% effective seems narrow-minded.

Ya this. Apparently someone ran the algorithm to simulate ~5500 games and further optimized 7RR to be a bit faster :lol

IceMarker

k359h1.jpg

Shadow Assault 2.5 has been released! A huge balance patch has arrived bringing along with it a tougher final boss and an smoother solo mode has returned!
Changelog said:

-- Playing the map Solo is now slightly easier and faster paced
-- Increased the Detection range of the boss from 11 to 12
-- Increased the armor of the boss from 3 to 4
-- Increased the life and shields of the mini-boss from 400 to 500
-- Increased the shield armor of the mini-boss from 0 to 2
-- Decreased the armor of the mini-boss from 3 to 2
-- Decreased the life and shields of Merc Banshees from 175 to 150
-- Decreased Detection range of Point Detection Drones from 11 to 10
Looks like I fooled myself into thinking I wouldn't update the original SA while my other maps are in development! This is an important patch for me because whatever I change in the original, some base changes of it will carry on over into SA2. You can also mark this down as hopefully a interest booster, as the Solo mode changes were intended for that, in case you can't find a friend to play with.

15xajrk.jpg

Shadow Assault Arena is coming along nicely, from a non-balance standpoint that is, as no one has extensively tested with me or given me feedback as I mentioned in an earlier post. At this point, SAA is very VERY close to being finished. Hell I could release it right now and be done with it, but I fear for balance issues and bugs... therefore I think I will at least hold off until this weekend. Until then as usual, find me online if you'd like to test with me! Remember it's an 8 player max map and needs lots of GAF members to fill up a lobby!

Hooray shitty minimal audience awareness map making!

Mairu

MrMister said:
Shadow Assault 2.5 has been released! A huge balance patch has arrived bringing along with it a tougher final boss and an smoother solo mode has returned!

Looks like I fooled myself into thinking I wouldn't update the original SA while my other maps are in development! This is an important patch for me because whatever I change in the original, some base changes of it will carry on over into SA2. You can also mark this down as hopefully a interest booster, as the Solo mode changes were intended for that, in case you can't find a friend to play with.
I'll try it out later if I can get a friend or two to join me. First time we played it was fun, but took waaaay too long with only two people considering we were confused at the start and my friend let my ghost academy die before I got all the upgrades :(

What kind of game is Shadow Assault Arena? I'm willing to test it out with you :D

IceMarker

Mairu said:
What kind of game is Shadow Assault Arena? I'm willing to test it out with you :D
It's like Shadow Assault except FFA head-to-head with 8 players and constantly streaming supply of minerals.

Also, most rounds of SA after this update should be a tiny bit shorter... around 40-50 minutes.

Mairu

MrMister said:
It's like Shadow Assault except FFA head-to-head with 8 players and constantly streaming supply of minerals.

Also, most rounds of SA after this update should be a tiny bit shorter... around 40-50 minutes.
Awwww, I like the co-op stuff a little bit more than head-to-head stuff

Another good thing about 5rr vs 7rr is that zergling speed finishes around the time you push out with your roaches so you can keep the pressure up if you deal enough damage and at the very least you force your opponent to make some roach counters which are themselves countered by speedlings so your new expo is reasonably safe even if the roaches didn't do much. Quite often when i 5rr those 5 initial roaches are the only ones I make for the entire game.

IceMarker

Mairu said:
Awwww, I like the co-op stuff a little bit more than head-to-head stuff
People who played SA said they wanted a competitive mode so Arena came about. Don't worry, SA2 will be co-op just as the first. :D

Vaporak

Revengeance said:

Build a forge. Cannons can come out before stalkers/sentries, then just continue as normal to get an econ/tech advantage over the zerg player. If he's really doing this build he can't deny scouting. If he gets zerglings to deny scouting it delays the roach push, but you should still be able to tell he's not expanding.

Deadman

Played my first ladder match as zerg, vs a terran on scrap. I was quite terrible at spending all my money, thankfully it didnt really matter because i just built way more stuff than he did. In the end i maxed on ling roach and muta and rolled over his army.

At the start he was really friendly and chatty, but he left without a gg which made me laugh.

Zzoram

Nony vs Idra Bo7 showmatch for $400 starts in 10 minutes. I hope Nony actually practiced for this.

Ya most players don't gg these days, it's pretty weak. I always do unless then BM me by offensive gg'ing. If they do that I play hide the building to drag it out.

Mairu

Zzoram said:
Nony vs Idra Bo7 showmatch for $400 starts in 10 minutes. I hope Nony actually practiced for this.

Ya most players don't gg these days, it's pretty weak. I always do unless then BM me by offensive gg'ing. If they do that I play hide the building to drag it out.
Grats Idra on the 400$

:p

I hope they are good games though :D

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
3 pylons, a cannon, a probe, 2 zealots in exchange for a 4 drone lead against a fast hatch.

idra you're scary.

V_Arnold said:
What is happening to the players in ladder?
In the last 30 game I played, I encountered only ONE gg, that from a Zerg.

Every other player I won againts just quit. Damn. We have become one bitter community :(

Deadman said:
At the start he was really friendly and chatty, but he left without a gg which made me laugh.

Zzoram said:

I don't care at all. In fact i find players who expect a GG much more annoying. There is no rule saying you have to and i dare say many players don't even realise its expected.

I say it but i really don't expect my opponents too.

Zzoram

Keikaku said:
Nony up 3-1 against Idra?! I'm in some sort of bizarro world :lol

Not really. Tyler has always been more talented than Greg. In Broodwar he beat Greg at WCG USA and TSL2 even though Idra was training in Korea and Nony was barely practicing.

Zzoram

slidewinder said:
Guy hasn't been much of a factor in SC2 so far though, has he?

He's married and doesn't practice much, but he's got a ton of talent and it doesn't take him more than a few days of warmup to hang with the best again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom