• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
ProudClod said:
StarCraft 2 is being weird :( I open it, type in my password, and then the login window just disappears. No message. Nothing. I'm left with the menu that allows me to go to options and play as a guest. I press escape, and the login screen popups again. I type in my password again, and the same thing happens.

got the same problem weird and annoying

TheExodu5

Banned
Tried a bit of 2v2 tonight. Seems like every game I just get annihilated by medic-maurauder + roaches.

Does every 2v2 game devolve into this tier 1 timing attack? How can I prepare without resorting to the same thing myself?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TheExodu5 said:
Tried a bit of 2v2 tonight. Seems like every game I just get annihilated by medic-maurauder + roaches.

Does every 2v2 game devolve into this tier 1 timing attack? How can I prepare without resorting to the same thing myself?
Collaborate with your teammate to survive.
If they have time to get medivacs you have time to get (Tanks / Immortals / ??).

I'd say most of SC II revolves around the Tier 1 timing attack. It's solid, fast, and can win. Playing on 1 base with low tech sure is a lot easier to pull off as well.

I did some 2v2 with a friend today, trying to help him work on his macro because he was dying to the Very Hard AI pushes. Just gotta crank out units to live then counter via tech/econ/forces.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm playing Zerg. I've been going roughly 15 pool, 15 gas, 16 Hatch.

I'm trying to figure out what my options are. Without just pumping a shit ton of roaches myself, I don't see what other options I have. Rushing for infestors might be viable, but also risky as hell. I might be able to do nifty tricks with banelings, I suppose.

TheExodu5 said:

Yeah I'm feeling you. I try to get to mutas before they attack with roaches, but if they have good coordination and his teammate comes with marines/stalkers, I'm screwed. Of course, if I get roaches, and my opponents get mutas while my teammate goes zealots or something retarded, we get destroyed. A lot of people play 2v2s who are decent players but horrible teammates, meaning they don't come help you, they don't attack together, they don't scout / try to complement your forces, etc. I remember one game it was ZP v TT and my teammate just straight up proxied two gateways without saying anything. I see that both walled off and he's going to fail miserably. I get some banelings and bust down the wall. We win. Not many people will do that. 2v2 random is probably the most frustrating matchup I've played.

Mairu

Ferrio said:
Awesome game, pity it's slowly lowering in the rankings...
:(

Any idea when it gets played the most? I have yet to play a game with 6 people who all actually have played the game before :(

At vissi:

I think that is true of most team games in SC. Thankfully i have someone i can play with who really enjoys the team aspect and we can coordinate together.

It's a very different experience to 1v1 and it's very fun.

TheExodu5 said:
I'm playing Zerg. I've been going roughly 15 pool, 15 gas, 16 Hatch.

There's your problem. You can't approach 2v2 like its 1v1.

When you go for a fast hatch in 1v1 you are often under pressure and have to use your queen/drones to help you hold off attacks.

In 2v2 the opponent can have a much larger force at an earlier time at your base. Most of the time if you go for a fast expo you simply wont be able to stop it.

If i scout that my opponent is going for a fast hatch/expo i simply tell my partner and we go and run them over.

Edit: even 15 pool is very late. If you got a pool that late in 1v1 against a zerg you would be under some pressure early. With 2 teams pumping out units you will always struggle early to hold off the tier 1 push.

mcrae said:
me too. i have this mental block that thinks i can throw my army at another army and as long as i ensure im working production, that its okay. this works maybe half the time lol

I'm the opposite. I concentrate on controlling my army. I just have my production buildings set to a few numbers and will just quickly create stuff without looking back at my base.

I win a lot of games just because my opponents don't control their armies properly. I wish i could improve my macro to go with this :lol

This also reminded me of something i have noticed missing in SC2. No one seems to flank anymore (i don't mean pros obviously). As a zerg player who loves ling/bling/muta i am constantly flanking people.

In some ways i think it may be because you can hold your whole army at once. In SC1 you had to have multiple groups to control your army. So you had to select each one to move them so people naturally took the time to seperate them and flank as they had to select each group individually anyway.

Now it's just so easy to move around in a ball or just attack move. People don't seem to worry much about flanking or separating their forces.

Deadman

An important thing to note is how many great players are unseeded, so they can play huk, idra, kiwikaki etc in round 1:

haypro
jinro
tlo
machine
sheth
fenix
hdstarcraft (lolz)

TheExodu5

Banned
AdventureRacing said:
There's your problem. You can't approach 2v2 like its 1v1.

When you go for a fast hatch in 1v1 you are often under pressure and have to use your queen/drones to help you hold off attacks.

In 2v2 the opponent can have a much larger force at an earlier time at your base. Most of the time if you go for a fast expo you simply wont be able to stop it.

If i scout that my opponent is going for a fast hatch/expo i simply tell my partner and we go and run them over.

Edit: even 15 pool is very late. If you got a pool that late in 1v1 against a zerg you would be under some pressure early. With 2 teams pumping out units you will always struggle early to hold off the tier 1 push.

I was kind of expanding out of necessity since I was pooling so late. I guess I can go back to the early beta days of 11 pooling.

TheExodu5 said:
I was kind of expanding out of necessity since I was pooling so late. I guess I can go back to the early beta days of 11 pooling.

Alot of it depends on who you are facing. If one of your opponents is a zerg or worse 2 of them are than late pool/early expo builds are always going to be difficult.

You really need to be able to coordinate with your partner to survive with something like this and even then it's not guaranteed.

If you're playing with randoms i definitely wouldn't go for a late pool.

mcrae

TheExodu5 said:

well it depends on what you're scouting too right? im assuming youre scouting on about 10? if you see they arent pooling at that time you're safe not to do so as well, but if theyve pooled at 9 or 10 and by the time you get there its almost done.... well you get the point

mcrae said:
well it depends on what you're scouting too right? im assuming youre scouting on about 10? if you see they arent pooling at that time you're safe not to do so as well, but if theyve pooled at 9 or 10 and by the time you get there its almost done.... well you get the point

Only problem is if you are facing 2 zergs (or 2 randoms/1 zerg 1 random). If you get over there and scout that they have both went for an early pool and you haven't you are already in lots of trouble.

Though i agree with what your saying. It does all come down to what you scout (i guess this is true in starcraft no matter how many players).

LakeEarth

No Funday Monday next week. It sounds like he's realizing they mostly suck.

Oh god, the last game they made about 100 spine crawlers, and their opponents GG'd because of it, as if they didn't know you could outrange it.

Zzoram

Ya Funday Monday clearly seemed like an idea that would run out of steam. However, Newbie Tuesday and Friendday Wednesday are ideas that can last.

Mairu

Zzoram said:
Ya Funday Monday clearly seemed like an idea that would run out of steam. However, Newbie Tuesday and Friendday Wednesday are ideas that can last.
Funday Monday is probably one of his more popular segments, I'm sure the only reason he isn't doing it next week is because it requires a lot more prep time than the other days.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
LakeEarth said:
No Funday Monday next week. It sounds like he's realizing they mostly suck.

Oh god, the last game they made about 100 spine crawlers, and their opponents GG'd because of it, as if they didn't know you could outrange it.
Funday monday at first sounded cool. A way to teach players new builds/tactics.

Zerg going without a queen can get other stuff quickly. Carrier are not bad. Terrans dont need to use MM/Tanks to win.

Now its just eh. Fun to watch since Day9 can sell it well, but still I rather have his old school dailys than this new stuff now.

Mairu

Corran Horn said:
Funday monday at first sounded cool. A way to teach players new builds/tactics.

Zerg going without a queen can get other stuff quickly. Carrier are not bad. Terrans dont need to use MM/Tanks to win.

Now its just eh. Fun to watch since Day9 can sell it well, but still I rather have his old school dailys than this new stuff now.
It's only one day. His Wednesday show is definitely my favorite now vs old style dailies (Thurs/Sun)

Corran Horn

Mairu said:
It's only one day. His Wednesday show is definitely my favorite now vs old style dailies (Thurs/Sun)
Except for I dont care much about Tuesday/Wednesday either. So I watch basically for 2 days and lately since he is traveling alot...maybe 1 day :/

Oh well its still enjoyable to watch, just bitter Im not a internet superstar....but the Giants won the World Series....FUUUUUU YAAAAAA

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Corran Horn said:
Except for I dont care much about Tuesday/Wednesday either. So I watch basically for 2 days and lately since he is traveling alot...maybe 1 day :/

Oh well its still enjoyable to watch, just bitter Im not a internet superstar....but the Giants won the World Series....FUUUUUU YAAAAAA
friendsday wedsnday can be pretty educational though.
the qxc one is a must watch imo.

AcridMeat

Banned
Corran Horn said:

Hey Corran Horn care to share some tips to a lowly Bronze player (in celebration of the beast that is Timmy Lincecum & Co.)?

edit: About the Funday Mondays, I was hooked when I first saw the 3v3/4v4 games where you are only allowed to make one unit. That was the only one I ever participated in and had great fun doing so. Obviously that can't be the only one or else 3v3 games will just turn into constant Day9 lovefests.

Chris R

Where does the replay folder go in OSX? For some reason none of my replays are being saved and I can't view the Blizzcon replays :(

Corran Horn

rhfb said:
Where does the replay folder go in OSX? For some reason none of my replays are being saved and I can't view the Blizzcon replays :(
Mac OSX: /users/username/documents/Starcraft II/

At least that is what google tells me

The first three funday mondays were actually pretty cool. Number one (no queens) was great because it showed a lot of things Zerg could do with that extra 150 minerals early on. Drawing from that (fast lair, fast roaches, early double hatch in base, etc) you could easily extrapolate and say "This would be an interesting start that will jump my tech ahead and then I can start queen production at about the 8 minute mark." Carrier before expansion was also kind of cool, but not nearly as interesting because it was basically just forcing a tech path rather than opening new ones. Luckily it was a tech path normally ignored by protoss (much mroe common to see robo techor just heavy warpgate rush than anything out of a stargate), but I think it was the weakest of the first three mondays. No tank/marine/marauder was similar in style to no queens: it forced terran players to consider other options, such as heavy mech play similar to TLO's hellions into thors, 2 port banshees, or quick ghosts. Again, these could then be considered for regular play as well and got terrans to consider something other than MMM (very important at lower levels, in my gold league I would say 90% of my games against Terran were MMM with occasional tank support). But the new one unit teams and alphabetical FFA don't really do much for me. Glad to see him rethinking his approach (besides, I like his regular dailies better anyway).

zer0das

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

No, compared to Broodwar, it isn't unusual to get to higher tech stuff. You and your partner have to be good enough to not die to it, but it isn't that bad. Especially with the maps with shared bases. If you're zerg, it's probably substantially harder to survive this stage, especially if your partner isn't that good.

That being said, I hit collosi in probably ~60% of my 2v2s. My partner usually hits siege tanks/medivacs and thors. It isn't unusual to face tier 1 masses though. It seems like whenever our opponents are both Terran, I usually end up having to beat down masses of marines trying to kill me in the first 5 minutes of the game. Once you get used to the sim city, knowing when to place cannons, and force fielding, it isn't really that bad.

Edit: Although really late tier stuff, like battlecruisers and carriers tend to melt to masses of tier 1 stuff unless the transition was really well done (pretty rare). Tier 1 usually forms the bulk of your army, but there's a pretty large incentive to get units beyond that.

I've seen Zerg successfully fast expand, get masses of lings to compliment his partner's army right before they're needed, and then get muta and be a total prick with them. Banelings aren't really that great in 2v2 since there tends to be masses of ranged units.

Snow

Haven't watched the last one yet, but I think he should stop doing teamgames with funday monday and go back to the initial idea he had about constricting your play in an artificial way being an educational tool, rather than a "let's generate some crazy games" tool. They still ended up pretty crazy, but the combination of craziness and insight made the first couple more interesting to me. Though the last 'monobattles' one turned out pretty funny.

Corran Horn

After school tonight I hope to catch up on GSL/Day9/Other Tournys. Been so busy with school and the Giants playoffs/world series.

Finally should have some free time to play at non-odd hours too!

IceMarker

Sorry been playing TF2 and Bad Company 2 a lot lately and haven't had a good dose of SCII the past week. You should be seeing me online much more often again, though CoD Black Ops may change that for a while...

Zzoram

V_Arnold

What is happening to the players in ladder?
In the last 30 game I played, I encountered only ONE gg, that from a Zerg.

Every other player I won againts just quit. Damn. We have become one bitter community :(

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Keikaku said:
A potential "build order from hell" for Zerg: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/11/02/genetic-algorithms-find-build-order-from-hell/

Read up about and how it was "discovered". Panda, your thoughts? Anyone willing to try it out?
the thing i liked about the 5RR was that it wasnt all in, you could pressure with strong roach numbers but still get speed and still get an expand up, so it was never a cheesy i have to kill you now type of move.

i mean, hell 16 drones and a fully saturated gas, you pretty much have to allin to make it worth your while. 5RR is weaker offensively yeah, but i think its a better style of play.
also that terran didnt scout. :\

what's the next funday monday?

I hope he does a microxmacro 2v2, kinda like the last game of yesterdays funday.

ie, one player completely controls the macro and buildings the other controls the units.

V_Arnold

Keikaku said:
A potential "build order from hell" for Zerg: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/11/02/genetic-algorithms-find-build-order-from-hell/

Read up about and how it was "discovered". Panda, your thoughts? Anyone willing to try it out?

Adding my 5 cents here: with 5RR, you expanded behind your Roaches when you moved out. If you calculate the most efficient and fastest way to create most roaches, you get this. But you lack the better economy and the 300 mineral plus for the expand. Therefore, this IS an allin, while 5rr is simply an opening style, one you can easily retreat from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom