• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meeru

Banned
Pandaman said:
woo, im winning!

as for another tourney, i dunno. alu went super salty on all of us a few weeks ago. :lol i mentioned his loss to valenti and he went all LOLOL, WASN'T TRYING, EVERYONE ON GAF SUCKS, LOL YOU THINK ANYONE ON GAF IS BETTER THAN ME? and then a few days later called everyone on gaf assholes through his realid broadcast. so yeah. >_>

maybe valenti will want to set one up. it was a shame because IIRC it was only me, you and valenti left. :lol

-

ever notice the people who say points mean nothing never have many points? >_>

ugh.
you'd be better off fapping to minecraft machinima.
wow. alumnus, thats low man. but still, sc2 is real business man.

Sblargh

Banned
Vaporak said:
Never be the one reacting to what the Zerg player makes, their tech switching speed and sheer production capacity will leave you behind every time. Take the initiative and make the zerg respond to you, PvZ is all about not letting the Zerg player do what they want.

So what do I do? What viable build is out there? 4 gate into 8 gate?

EDIT: I like 2 gate - 2 star, but I feel I am guessing here. If he is making roaches or hydras, what do I do?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sblargh said:
I think the game is actually close to balanced now. Terran still being just a bit OP.
Zergs are crushing me, but thinking about it, I used to crush zerg without a strategy. I have these highly detailed (I wish) gameplans against Protoss and Terran and Zerg was "4 gate = instawinlol"
Now I have to actually think about stuff. I watched some of Huks games, but what Huk does only works because he is fucking Huk. I think Zerg players watching Idra felt the same. Right now, I have no strategy against zerg, I can defend against early roaches with fast stalkers, but that's it.
I have no follow up, but that's entirely my fault. I'm actually thinking of researching hallucination just so I can make a plan based entirely on scout; I feel that now I have to actually counter stuff.
If I see roaches, I have to pump immortals; hydras, I have to pump colossi; mutas, I have to pump phoenix. Much harder said than done.
You shouldn't be forced to make anything.

A well rounded force is the best. Start off with a zealot / sentry timing HuK does (for example), secure your expo, force units from Z, keep your sentries alive for mutas, get your robo, play standard.

* 2 stargates seem excessive. Are you going to be using those buildings the entire game?
How about you chronoboost your 1 stargate, and tack on an extra gateway so you don't die to roaches?

Vaporak

Sblargh said:
So what do I do? What viable build is out there? 4 gate into 8 gate?

EDIT: I like 2 gate - 2 star, but I feel I am guessing here. If he is making roaches or hydras, what do I do?

The two builds I like are 3 warpgate pressure -> expand -> 5 gate push. I remember Nony/Liquid Tyler winning against Idra with this during their recent games on Gosucoaching if you want a video showing it. Key is really to not commit with the 3 gates, it's just to keep the zerg player honest cuz if they only drone you can do serious damage or end the game right there. Don't commit to it though, gotta have units to keep your expansion safe to have enough resources to make the 5 gate push the real hammer. This tactic is safer than it used to be given so many zerg players favoring ling/muta less than they used to.

The other build I like is 2 gate, 1 stargate pheonix harass -> expand. The idea is you get enough pheonix's to do some nice harass on overlord/queens, while still having enough units to cover your expansion. Most zergs will go hydras instead of spire to respond to the harass, which you can abuse by going Collosus tech + more gates off of your 2 bases. It's safer than you might think against a counter attack because you're limiting the zergs ability to produce by killing overlords and queens. You do have to be prepared for the roach/hydra push before your collosai though, but good forcefields and a good gateway count will get you through it.

At least that's what I do in PvZ, I think the match up is pretty balanced with a lot of room for creative and varying builds/strategies.

Vaporak

Corran Horn said:
Boxer's (SlayerBoxer) sponsor is Intel. "Intel will sponsor Boxer with $180,000 but will also invest in a new Starcraft 2 Pro Team centered on Boxer to the tune of $270,000."
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=166525

God daaaaaaamn thats alot of money.

That is quite a lot of money for Boxer, I wonder if that's a 1 time thing or he gets a salary or what. Either way it's cool that Intel is forming a SC2 team. :D

IceMarker

Can we please have a Starcraft II Progaming and Tournaments mega-thread?

I'm kinda sick of seeing it in the thread where we discuss the game itself, set-up nights to play with/against each-other, talk about game announcements, etc. and not about watching it or players who are damn good at it.

mcrae

MrMister said:

I'm kinda sick of seeing it in the thread where we discuss the game itself, set-up nights to play with/against each-other, talk about game announcements, etc. and not about watching it or players who are damn good at it.

its not like this thread is moving at a fast pace, and its completely relevant to people who browse this thread. there really isnt enough news to justify such a thread, while this one and the gsl one exist already.

IceMarker

mcrae said:
its not like this thread is moving at a fast pace, and its completely relevant to people who browse this thread. there really isnt enough news to justify such a thread, while this one and the gsl one exist already.
That's what I'm saying what with GSL finals and MLG Dallas coming up why not just merge the two along with all SCII progaming anything.

mcrae

MrMister said:
That's what I'm saying what with GSL finals and MLG Dallas coming up why not just merge the two along with all SCII progaming anything.

yeah, well theres been more discussion of the news of the team in the GSL thread, but it was posted here cause it is relevant, is what im saying

MrMister said:

The GSL thread is already huge. How about either all pro sc2 discussion go into the GSL thread, or all pro sc2 minus GSL stuff go in here?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MrMister said:
I'll have the MLG thread up soon.

been a while since i played but finally got around to loading up, lost first 2 games because of bad macro and won the third with kirix style 2 base baneling bust on metal close positions. Didn't outright win with the bust but the muta follow up he had no answer for.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
MrMister said:

No thx. This would just become the bitching/whining about balance thread. This is all about SC2, not just strategies :/ Im cool with setting up a thread for a certain tournament for the weekend/GSL, but this should still be the catch-all anything SC2 thread.

zoukka

Pandaman said:
ever notice the people who say points mean nothing never have many points? >_>

I'm 1600-ish and yes, they don't matter.

Some games I stomp. Some games I get stomped. I have absolutely no solid builds. I just build a pool at some point and scout and build something else. Sometimes I feel like I should be in copper when I lose to ridiculous shit and sometimes I feel like a pro for winning with infestors only or some shit.

I guess I could practice a build or two fanatically and be the first in my ladder, but I have no interest in playing like that.

I'm batman.

Ashhong

Is there something going on with Starcraft or something? 3 games in a row now, my whole internet service breaks. My cable, internet, and phone lines all go down during a game. It could be coincidence...but I don't know. 3 times in a row! Windows says "cannot detect DNS server" or something and the last time it lasted for like an hour.

Anybody else have this problem?

V_Arnold

vicissitudes said:
The GSL thread is already huge. How about either all pro sc2 discussion go into the GSL thread, or all pro sc2 minus GSL stuff go in here?

Or...since this is the official SCII thread, it contains EVERYTHING relevant, and the tournament threads are for the actual tournament talks. Intel forming a progamer team has nothing to do with one specific tournament, and with all the balance discussions in this forum, it makes sense that we do not close our eyes just because someone might not like this side of the game :p

fanboi

Banned
zoukka said:
I'm 1600-ish and yes, they don't matter.

Some games I stomp. Some games I get stomped. I have absolutely no solid builds. I just build a pool at some point and scout and build something else. Sometimes I feel like I should be in copper when I lose to ridiculous shit and sometimes I feel like a pro for winning with infestors only or some shit.

I guess I could practice a build or two fanatically and be the first in my ladder, but I have no interest in playing like that.

I'm batman.

*High five!*

Give that hobo what he deserves!

TLO leaving Korea for "personal reasons" :(

Liquid Weekly 14

TLO said:
"Family and friends are an important part of my life, and while Korea was a great learning experience, I think that being in Europe for the time being is the right decision for me," said Dario. "Due to a number of reasons I do not wish to go into at this time, living and playing in Germany is what will benefit both me and my team the most right now, and I'm thankful that my team understands this."

Dario fighting.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
zoukka said:
If you repeat this enough, maybe it becomes true :b
can't argue with the numbers brah, eu has the the smallest percentage of players in diamond and the largest in bronze out of na/eu/kr.

you also have more terrans.

dont like it, why dont 5 of you get together and do something about it. :p

TheThunder said:
Sad news. Is he gonna try for GSL 3 ?

I really hope he starts owing shit with his Zerg and show people how it's done.

No, he is leaving fairly soon as far as I can tell from that link. Also kind of a funny coincidence that the Steam Deal today is Supreme Command 2, a game TLO used to play with his brother.

Sooooo I have never touched a starcraft game but I'm supposed to play with my freind who gave me a guest pass tonight. What's the dumbest, easiest to play strategy? My freind usually plays protoss and I'm playing with him, not against.

TheRagnCajun said:
Sooooo I have never touched a starcraft game but I'm supposed to play with my freind who gave me a guest pass tonight. What's the dumbest, easiest to play strategy? My freind usually plays protoss and I'm playing with him, not against.

mass marines. doesn't matter what your enemy does. as long as you're good with your mouse you should win.
:>

mcrae

ShallNoiseUpon said:
Unless he goes tanks or banelings or colossus... :lol

i think the only reason he said this is cause foxer was really good with them, vs speeling baneling, in the gsl games he played recently

mcrae said:
i think the only reason he said this is cause foxer was really good with them, vs speeling baneling, in the gsl games he played recently

Foxer has really good micro
it burns to say something nice about it. Fuck Foxer

Has anyone laddering had to deal with Marine spam yet?

Yeah I don't want to have to worry about a lot of micro management or click to use powers yet lol. I basically have an hour to get aquainted with the game and then we'll start a match.

Mass producing marines sounds easy enough. Do people usually rush with that? or turtle? Somewhere inbetween?

Jayx77

TheRagnCajun said:

7 Roach rush. Google it.

mcrae

TheRagnCajun said:
Yeah I don't want to have to worry about a lot of micro management or click to use powers yet lol. I basically have an hour to get aquainted with the game and then we'll start a match.

Mass producing marines sounds easy enough. Do people usually rush with that? or turtle? Somewhere inbetween?

to be completely honest, i think protoss is the easiest beginning race, because you can use only warpgate units and win. mass zealots/stalkers with either some collosus or immortals for support and just group them all and attack your way to victory

* this could be because im used to zerg and only have 1 control group for production structues, so terran having to use 1 for command center, barracks, factory, AAAAND starport, and then more groups for actual armies, is too much.

protoss 1 = nexus, w= warpgates, 2 = robotics if needed, and 3= entire army

zoukka

Pandaman said:
can't argue with the numbers brah, eu has the the smallest percentage of players in diamond and the largest in bronze out of na/eu/kr.

Less Diamond players = worse Diamond players?

mcrae said:
to be completely honest, i think protoss is the easiest beginning race, because you can use only warpgate units and win. mass zealots/stalkers with either some collosus or immortals for support and just group them all and attack your way to victory

My only argument against that is that Terran structures kind of correlate to what they build. Barracks trains troops, Factory makes mechanical vehicles and Starport makes ships. I know for me, learning toss was confusing because I was like "wtf does a gateway do?" I may also be underestimating his ability and knowledge of the game, so...yeah. Also mass MMM is kind of easy and kind of good.

mcrae

Slasher said:
I wanted to put it in here as the main thread too since it's the one most people look at. If it's cool with Corran Horn can I do it?

you cant edit other peoples posts unless you are a moderator or admin, duh lol

Slasher

mcrae said:
you cant edit other peoples posts unless you are a moderator or admin, duh lol

No I mean, I asked him a few days ago when dallas would be coming up this weekend, and he said he'd put it in the op/wouldn't have a problem with it, so would you guys please not delete after i make the post after this? :D

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
zoukka said:
Less Diamond players = worse Diamond players?
pretty much yeah. the average skill of your player base is smaller.

i didn't even see your post slasher. :eek:

hope you have another kickass weekend tho.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Slasher said:
No I mean, I asked him a few days ago when dallas would be coming up this weekend, and he said he'd put it in the op/wouldn't have a problem with it, so would you guys please not delete after i make the post after this? :D
Mentioned in the other thread, but MLG goes in MLG thread.
Don't worry, I'm sure everyone will be in there. :D

Also only admins and mods can delete posts, so if it was deleted that was probably the reason.

fanboi

Banned
Pandaman said:
pretty much yeah. the average skill of your player base is smaller.

i didn't even see your post slasher. :eek:

hope you have another kickass weekend tho.

Panda, you need to get on mirc, have a question to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom