• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonng

A momentous occasion has occurred! My most played race on the ladder now is Zerg (random before) so now I am part of the swarm. Embrace me fellow Zergs! I do miss being a random player but it's much more satisfying now that I am able to be fine tune my strategies as oppose to learning all 9 match ups.

Sblargh

Banned
MLG started this second. Do we have a separate thread for this or it is here that I curse imbalance at every terran win?

IceMarker

k359h1.jpg

I'm going to update Shadow Assault again soon, nothing major, just another minor polish patch. Everyone loves a polish patch!
Then again, I could make 2.6 the terrain update patch... but I digress, the big news is... below.

15xajrk.jpg

The competitive version of the premiere custom covert co-op mission, Shadow Assault Arena, has finally been released!

Map Stats:
- Name: Shadow Assault Arena
- Version: 1.0
- Regions: US (EU Coming Soon)
- Players: 2-8
- Category: Competitive
- Mode: Custom

Grab a friend, grab a GAF buddy, grab whoever and get ready for the FFA madness that is SAA. Set on Tarsonis, you and other Shadow Union assassin candidates are pitted against each other in a deserted war zone as you grab resources and kill stranded Dominion units on your way to eliminate your opponents.
As of this post you can now get on Battle.net and search for "Shadow Assault Arena" and get ready for a kick ass time!
In all honesty, I hope you guys enjoy it and the map gains some momentum, therefore giving more awareness of the series, letting all of us play with more people more often!

fumcdd.jpg

Work has begun on the true sequel.

TheExodu5

Banned
So I started playing SC2, instead of just watching. I think I went through a good 5-6 losses before I got the right balance of drone/unit production. Since then, I'm now 8-0. Absolutely demolishing gold league...I will definitely make high plat or maybe even early diamond if I keep at it.

I still do struggle at keeping my money low as zerg though...I do like muta-ling on long distance maps which I think really requires an extra hatch or two. I do make a shitload of queens since they're totally worth it, especially in defending the base. 4 queens + 2 spines + transfusing and a few lings to pick off ranged units like dragoons...unbreakable.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TheExodu5 said:
So I started playing SC2, instead of just watching. I think I went through a good 5-6 losses before I got the right balance of drone/unit production. Since then, I'm now 8-0. Absolutely demolishing gold league...I will definitely make high plat or maybe even early diamond if I keep at it.

I still do struggle at keeping my money low as zerg though...I do like muta-ling on long distance maps which I think really requires an extra hatch or two. I do make a shitload of queens since they're totally worth it, especially in defending the base. 4 queens + 2 spines + transfusing and a few lings to pick off ranged units like dragoons...unbreakable.
Don't worry about keeping your money low as Zerg. You can (and should) rely on scouting and quick reaction to the composition of their forces.

Speedlings are almost always good, roaches great for tanking.
Just keep your tech up, drones up, upgrades up. Pump out 40 roaches when you see them pushing, etc.

Also learn to love infestors. They are amazing and totally worth the gas. +1 mutas are really great too.

Swag

Is there a way to change the resolution or reset settings from outside the game?

Set my refresh rate too high and now when SC2 loads up it gives me out of range errors.

Sebulon3k said:
Is there a way to change the resolution or reset settings from outside the game?

Set my refresh rate too high and now when SC2 loads up it gives me out of range errors.
I think deleting the Starcraft II file in your documents folder (the one where all the replays are usually saved) should rest your settings.

Of course you're gonna lose all your settings and replays so it will be just like you just installed the game.

Swag

TheThunder said:
I think deleting the Starcraft II file in your documents folder (the one where all the replays are usually saved) should rest your settings.

Of course you're gonna lose all your settings and replays so it will be just like you just installed the game.

This worked thanks

AcridMeat

Banned
Just had a moment where I felt awesome.

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/101061-2v2-terran-protoss-scorched-haven

You can skip ahead after my friend gets taken out early on (skip to about 20? minutes). Basically I tried a rush to mech for the first time. I know the build order is infuriating but my friend and I are crappy bronze players and the point is these were two gold.

I was able to tech up to a bunch of Thors and Siege Tanks upgraded a few times, when they finally decided to attack me I destroyed one of their pushes with Thors while the other was medivac dropping in my main. I decided since it was 1v2 anyway I would just go for it and stormed down the middle of the map laying waste to everything.

I just wish I had remembered to lift my bases and float them along with my army because I think I would have won.

It was nice even though we lost because we were double cannon rushed the game before. -_-

edit: I also know I should have helped my friend out, but I'm a terrible person. :(

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
This game is determined for me to learn Zerg. Everytime I random in team Im Zerg. Im doing better but my macro sucks so bad once I start to battle.

zoukka

Zerg is not OP in EU. In ya face Pandamoe.

Don't worry about keeping your money low as Zerg. You can (and should) rely on scouting and quick reaction to the composition of their forces.

Speedlings are almost always good, roaches great for tanking.
Just keep your tech up, drones up, upgrades up. Pump out 40 roaches when you see them pushing, etc.

Also learn to love infestors. They are amazing and totally worth the gas. +1 mutas are really great too.

Thatäs some deep shit right here :lol

IceMarker

k359h1.jpg

Shadow Assault 2.6 has been released! A minor polish patch for the original as well as Arena today.
Changelog said:

-- Added a title screen intro
-- Data Editor bugfixes
-- Attempted fix of MVP calculation

15xajrk.jpg

Shadow Assault Arena 1.1 has been released! Just a minor post-release polish patch!
Changelog said:

-- Added a title screen intro
-- Changed the loading screen

Get on Battle.net and search "Shadow Assault" when creating a custom game to play either one or better yet both! (Both maps should pop up.)
And as I post this I'm still setting up the foundations for SA2.
Yes, I've spent all night working on these 3 maps... sadly the maps continue to sit at the bottom of the popularity list.

Aylinato

anyone else keep hearing day9 in their heads when playing the game now? :lol
I keep hearing what he'd be yelling at me for lol, so I've been doing better with my starting build order, and I finally got a supply/time for my 2nd assimilator

also I've learned when I should be pushing the opponents, tho I do have a hard time with marine rushes(only in 4v4) as I can't get HT up that fast

Fjord

Arg I just got hacked!

First I got an email saying someone was trying to reset my password, I just ignored that one. Then I got:

Hello William,

Blizzard Entertainment recently received a request to change the e-mail address used to log in to the Battle.net account with the username ***@gmail.com. The e-mail address g***@yahoo.com has been specified as the new username for this Battle.net account. An email has been sent to this new address containing a verification link to complete the change.

Once the new address has been verified, the e-mail address ***@gmail.com can no longer be used to log in to this Battle.net account or any World of Warcraft accounts merged with this Battle.net account.

If you did not initiate this request, please click here to contact the Blizzard Billing & Account Services team immediately.

Sincerely,
The Battle.net Account Team
Online Privacy Policy

Legit as far as I can tell.

So I was like hmm probably nothing but may as well call them. Then while I was on hold I tried logging in, no good. All the account retrieval protecting yourself against hacks is based on using your email address which is the first thing they hit of course. I really wonder how they got me. Anyone else get hit? Maybe we can narrow it down.

jersoc

are you sure that's legit? I get those all the time too.

Anyways, get an auth. on your account. Free for android and iphone

Slavik81

Fjord said:
Arg I just got hacked!

First I got an email saying someone was trying to reset my password, I just ignored that one. Then I got:

So I was like hmm probably nothing but may as well call them. Then while I was on hold I tried logging in, no good. All the account retrieval protecting yourself against hacks is based on using your email address which is the first thing they hit of course. I really wonder how they got me. Anyone else get hit? Maybe we can narrow it down.
Never, ever follow any links you get in an email like that. Ever.

A common way of getting you to compromise your account is to send you that sort of email, which links to a phishing page. Then they'd have your password if you tried to log-in to their fake site.

If you need to confirm it, go to www.blizzard.com and find your way to your account or to email/phone support from there.

mcrae

Fjord said:
Arg I just got hacked!

what was the email address you recieved that from

Fjord

noreply@battle.net

I got it all sorted out and the official email looks identical, even the links as far as I can tell. Pretty sophisticated phishing.

They reactivated my 6 years dead world of warcraft account with a trial to pillage it's items. Apparently whatever they took is getting restored and mailed back to me. This may just be a scam to get me to reinstall.

Thank god my starcraft achievements are safe! :lol

mcrae

Fjord said:
noreply@battle.net

I got it all sorted out and the official email looks identical, even the links as far as I can tell. Pretty sophisticated phishing.

They reactivated my 6 years dead world of warcraft account with a trial to pillage it's items. Apparently whatever they took is getting restored and mailed back to me. This may just be a scam to get me to reinstall.

you're positive that was the email address? :/

Slavik81

Fjord said:
noreply@battle.net

It's good that you sorted it out, but the email address it says that you received it from is not reliable. That's easy to fake, because it's a part of the message, just like the text within the email.

IceMarker

It sucks developing maps for what seems to be an audience with little to no interest. As I write this both Shadow Assault and Shadow Assault Arena continue to sit under 15 pages. I think I may stop making (or releasing) maps altogether after SA2 until this piece of shit they call a map popularity system is fixed. It's funny because at Blizzcon their reply for the broken system was to "garner your own popularity for your maps by advertising through forums, blogs, etc." and yet here I am advertising on NeoGAF, TeamLiquid, YouTube, and the fucking SC2 forums themselves yet I have no sign of any 'popularity'. The only time Shadow Assault was popular on the map list was around 1.4 and that was AFTER I ARTIFICIALLY BOOSTED IT FOR 4 HOURS. And then my maps were never seen again. This is such bullshit, I put weeks worth of my time into these maps yet the return on my investment is diminished by the lack of any interest from any community at ALL. NeoGAF, you are the only community that has actually shown interest beyond a couple members. I get hundreds of views each time I bump my topics on TeamLiquid but no one ever posts besides me and one other. I bump the topics on SC2 forums and I get about 6 views. All of my effort going towards getting these maps up the list have fallen flat on deaf ears and I'm getting sick of it. I'm literally very close to quitting map making for the public. I've updated all of my maps many times, from the Beta and all the melee maps I made, all the way to my now fully custom maps, I updated them making them better and better each update in hopes that it would generate interest, but unlucky enough for me I get about a game an hour. While maps like <insert zombie variation here> stay on top of the list for weeks even after everyone has gotten bored with them. The system, and the overall idea of making maps for the public is a shit idea until they fix this system. Too bad I'm addicted to map making already.

EDIT: Here are all the places I've advertised the Shadow Assault series.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/777578529
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/900901078
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=159849
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=164030
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMisterLive?feature=mhum

Slavik81

I think I've finally figured out how to apply early pressure. I had a horrible losing streak full of expansions that were too fast, or too slow... Failures to push in and do damage when I had the upper hand, and failures to withdraw when the battlefield was in my opponent's favour. Now I'm moving out with as few as 3 units to punish fast-expanders on close maps. Putting the pressure on, then retreating just to try and get them to over-invest in their army. And I'm not losing to early pushes nearly as much. I can deal with (somewhat sloppy) proxy warpgates, and 7-roach rushes. Hurrah!

I have hope that one day I'll graduate to diamond...

Aylinato

MrMister said:
It sucks developing maps for what seems to be an audience with little to no interest. As I write this both Shadow Assault and Shadow Assault Arena continue to sit under 15 pages. I think I may stop making (or releasing) maps altogether after SA2 until this piece of shit they call a map popularity system is fixed. It's funny because at Blizzcon their reply for the broken system was to "garner your own popularity for your maps by advertising through forums, blogs, etc." and yet here I am advertising on NeoGAF, TeamLiquid, YouTube, and the fucking SC2 forums themselves yet I have no sign of any 'popularity'. The only time Shadow Assault was popular on the map list was around 1.4 and that was AFTER I ARTIFICIALLY BOOSTED IT FOR 4 HOURS. And then my maps were never seen again. This is such bullshit, I put weeks worth of my time into these maps yet the return on my investment is diminished by the lack of any interest from any community at ALL. NeoGAF, you are the only community that has actually shown interest beyond a couple members. I get hundreds of views each time I bump my topics on TeamLiquid but no one ever posts besides me and one other. I bump the topics on SC2 forums and I get about 6 views. All of my effort going towards getting these maps up the list have fallen flat on deaf ears and I'm getting sick of it. I'm literally very close to quitting map making for the public. I've updated all of my maps many times, from the Beta and all the melee maps I made, all the way to my now fully custom maps, I updated them making them better and better each update in hopes that it would generate interest, but unlucky enough for me I get about a game an hour. While maps like <insert zombie variation here> stay on top of the list for weeks even after everyone has gotten bored with them. The system, and the overall idea of making maps for the public is a shit idea until they fix this system. Too bad I'm addicted to map making already.

I agree blizz needs to change their popularity thing, I'm sick of most of the custom maps on page 1 and I'm lazy and wont go past page 3 very much. I even tried seeing if there was a search, but did not find one.

Please don't give up making custom maps! I love yours, they are actually challenging and I can play them more than once without getting sick. (just I'm always playing 4v4s these days)

IceMarker

Aylinato said:
I agree blizz needs to change their popularity thing, I'm sick of most of the custom maps on page 1 and I'm lazy and wont go past page 3 very much. I even tried seeing if there was a search, but did not find one.

Please don't give up making custom maps! I love yours, they are actually challenging and I can play them more than once without getting sick. (just I'm always playing 4v4s these days)
Thanks for your support, I will continue making maps, but the less people play them and appreciate my work the less I'm inclined to make more... Map search is only shown when creating a custom game and not joining one.

On a brighter note...
I JUST GOT PROMOTED FROM SILVER 1v1 TO PLATINUM 1v1 HELL TO THE MOTHER FUCKING YES AND I ONLY HAD TO LOSE 3 GAMES AND WIN 1! :lol :lol

MrMister said:
Thanks for your support, I will continue making maps, but the less people play them and appreciate my work the less I'm inclined to make more... Map search is only shown when creating a custom game and not joining one.

I played Shadow Assault once with 3 friends.

It was probably the best custom I've played so far.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
MrMister said:

I have to say something because i see you post alot about how "despairing" your situation is and i felt a need to comment. Firstly its great your a mapmaker, clearly skilled and passionate about his projects. Secondly im glad you want user feedback and can totally understand the wish for others to enjoy your work, i myself have been making maps for source games for ages from counterstrike to tf2 to l4d1 and 2 and a few mods along the way. HOWEVER i think you need to really reapproach the way you view this process, we all like feedback, we all like some measure of success but you have to put it into some perspective, you have to have a little bit of luck to get that success with a market as big as the sc2 market. Because of this you have to taper expectations down a notch, you said before 9 people are playing a day, and while that may not be huge numbers considering how big some other, maybe lesser maps, are fairing its still alot more than hundreds of others. The key is to do this shit for fun, not profit or recognition and take any success you do have as an ancilliary bonus ontop of the fun you have making the maps and going through the process, instead of taking it so damn personally and thinking the numbers necessarily reflect the work you put in. I remember a time when i was like you too, releasing maps because i demanded feedback, needed appreciation and i forgot entirely why i started mapmaking with source, because its fucking fun and i loved being creative. Thats why i decided, and this is not a recommendation rather a further adendum to my point, to stop making maps for other people are start making maps for the fun of it, and in doing so i discovered a passion for it beyond that in my early years. I have made several full campaigns for l4d, many new maps for tf2 and have 0 plans to release them to the public.

The point im getting at isnt that you should stop producing or putting maps into the public sphere, its just to get you to taper your expectations and stop relying on the output to justify the input.

roxya

MrMister said:
It sucks developing maps for what seems to be an audience with little to no interest.

Seems to me you're making them for the fame and not for the love of doing it. Just stop if you don't like it.

IceMarker

Mr Cola said:
I have to say something because i see you post alot about how "despairing" your situation is and i felt a need to comment. Firstly its great your a mapmaker, clearly skilled and passionate about his projects. Secondly im glad you want user feedback and can totally understand the wish for others to enjoy your work, i myself have been making maps for source games for ages from counterstrike to tf2 to l4d1 and 2 and a few mods along the way. HOWEVER i think you need to really reapproach the way you view this process, we all like feedback, we all like some measure of success but you have to put it into some perspective, you have to have a little bit of luck to get that success with a market as big as the sc2 market. Because of this you have to taper expectations down a notch, you said before 9 people are playing a day, and while that may not be huge numbers considering how big some other, maybe lesser maps, are fairing its still alot more than hundreds of others. The key is to do this shit for fun, not profit or recognition and take any success you do have as an ancilliary bonus ontop of the fun you have making the maps and going through the process, instead of taking it so damn personally and thinking the numbers necessarily reflect the work you put in. I remember a time when i was like you too, releasing maps because i demanded feedback, needed appreciation and i forgot entirely why i started mapmaking with source, because its fucking fun and i loved being creative. Thats why i decided, and this is not a recommendation rather a further adendum to my point, to stop making maps for other people are start making maps for the fun of it, and in doing so i discovered a passion for it beyond that in my early years. I have made several full campaigns for l4d, many new maps for tf2 and have 0 plans to release them to the public.

The point im getting at isnt that you should stop producing or putting maps into the public sphere, its just to get you to taper your expectations and stop relying on the output to justify the input.
I think after reading your post twice I understand what you're saying. I suppose I'll just keep on pumping out maps, as I do have many other ideas other than the Shadow Assault series... I guess that if I keep making maps long enough I'll actually garner some amount of popularity?

roxya said:
Seems to me you're making them for the fame and not for the love of doing it. Just stop if you don't like it.
Little of column A, little of column B.

mcrae

MrMister said:
I think after reading your post twice I understand what you're saying. I suppose I'll just keep on pumping out maps, as I do have many other ideas other than the Shadow Assault series... I guess that if I keep making maps long enough I'll actually garner some amount of popularity?

honestly with how broken the custom map pool is i wouldnt bother making maps at all. whenever i join a map that isnt one of the top 3-4 that have over 300 games/hour, i sit there for ten+ minutes. one time i was in one of the 100+games/hour games, and no one joined my lobby in like 6 minutes. wtf. obviously im not gonna waste time on other custom maps, and i dont have friends online soooo yeah. theres much less variety.

however, i suppose if we went back to sc1 system, while obscure maps would get more playtime, you wouldnt have a clue how much playtime that was.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
MrMister said:

Basically all im saying is see whatever popularity you get as a bonus and just enjoy doing what your doing, if thats possible, no point stressing over it.

YakiSOBA

Need tips for 3rax BO... when do you guys start factory --> starport --> medivacs when going 3rax for a MMM push? As soon as you can after the 3rd baracks is down, while trying to produce from all 3 barracks at the same time?

Mr Cola

YakiSOBA said:
Need tips for 3rax BO... when do you guys start factory --> starport --> medivacs when going 3rax for a MMM push? As soon as you can after the 3rd baracks is down, while trying to produce from all 3 barracks at the same time?
One would think you would tech up after you push. If i remember the 3rax push you push at 50 food, expand as you leave and then typically keep making barracks...cause you know if 3 wont cut it maybe 5 will? But i assume if you wanted to diversify you would attack at 50, expand, then if you havent killed him contain and tech/build more barracks.

I like to build my factory early and use it just to make tech labs/reactors for the rest of the barracks/starport.

Two barracks, build a tech lab on one while the other keeps producing marines, build a factory with a tech lab and float the other barracks onto that tech lab, build a reactor on the factory and another barracks to go on the reactor, one more reactor and a starport to go on the second reactor.

There's probably a real build order but that's how I always do it for MMM.

YakiSOBA

Hmm icic.. maybe I should make more effort on addon-switching then.

What are your thoughts on ravens? I get the feeling, with proper use, a decent terran could do pretty damn well with ravens from bronze-->gold or even platinum.. 1v1, 2v2, etc..

I'm going to try and incorporate ravens into my play, even just 1-2 after I make some medivacs.. do a addon-swithc, and pump some ravens.. I want to use that PDD against stalkers when its TvP, or maybe harass with the auto turret behind mineral lines while I push from the front?

Any good examples of when to use RAven that you guys have had?

edit: heck even lanching that AOE missile at mineral lines would be devastating I think..

Mr Cola

YakiSOBA said:
Hmm icic.. maybe I should make more effort on addon-switching then.

What are your thoughts on ravens? I get the feeling, with proper use, a decent terran could do pretty damn well with ravens from bronze-->gold or even platinum.. 1v1, 2v2, etc..

I'm going to try and incorporate ravens into my play, even just 1-2 after I make some medivacs.. do a addon-swithc, and pump some ravens.. I want to use that PDD against stalkers when its TvP, or maybe harass with the auto turret behind mineral lines while I push from the front?

Any good examples of when to use RAven that you guys have had?

edit: heck even lanching that AOE missile at mineral lines would be devastating I think..
Well the key is to make ravens mean something otherwise its an investment which could have been made eslewhere.

TvP if they are going stalker heavy then an early raven push with a well placed pdd will be brutal, often good if they fast expand because their army will be down their ramp and you can kill a free expo while taking one of your own. Other than that if you scout a 1 base twilight council or 1 gate with 2 gas you can assume hes going dt's in which case a raven is golden. Against zerg ravens are too much of a liability for my liking. As regards auto turret harass i cant see a cost efficient way of doing it for the amount of gas used, especially considering how slow ravens are and how long it takes to get a number capable of doing significant harass.

A less explored but very potent way of using ravens is against a heavy muta z using hunter seeker missile, if you catch them right you can massacre a bunched group, but having said that people are more savvy with mutas and its not hard to outrun a hsm for someone paying attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom