• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

evangd007

YakiSOBA said:
Need tips for 3rax BO... when do you guys start factory --> starport --> medivacs when going 3rax for a MMM push? As soon as you can after the 3rd baracks is down, while trying to produce from all 3 barracks at the same time?

Push out around 50 supply with MM only. Try to have stim at this time. While your dudes are out throw down 2 more rax, a Fact, and your CC for expansion. Starport when the Factory is done, Reactor on the Factory, swap. One base pushes with Medivacs are generally done with a 1/1/1 build, and are also more a motley mix of units than pure MMM.

An early Raven can be a good trump card against Terran or Protoss (not so much Zerg because PDD doesn't block ling or Roach attacks), but again on one base will generally be from a 1/1/1 build where you get some Hellions out of the Factory, and then pump Banshees from your tech lab Starport once the Raven is out. 1 base of gas can't continuously pump out Ravens, nevermind have enough to get the numerous upgrades that would make getting that many Ravens worthwhile.

I'm going to try to do more Banshee/Raven play after watching Jinro in MLG. Cloak banshees seem to be a good counter to Colossi, and unlike Vikings can still contribute to the fight once the Colossi are dead. The Raven can throw down a PDD to cover the Banshees and spot the Observer.

Sblargh

Banned
Damn, my win rate is somewhere around 20% and 30%, try new stuff hurts, but I'm convinced one gate + expand is the way to deal with terran.
It's just that with so few units, all your little error become big. You forget one pylon and you're dead. But chronoboosting your one gate get you more units than it looks like. You can definetly survive an early push with one chronoboosted gate. Then there is that window in time where your other gates and robo just finished, colossus is not out yet, you have a nice gate army, but terran already have a menancing MMM ball.
-
But the strategy is awesome when you don't make misteakes and it just click everything so nice.
9 pylon, 10 gate, start chronoboosting zealots and stalkers (I don't make sentries because I'm defending the expansion and not a ramp, am I wrong?) when he comes with his first 3 rax push, you have like 3 zealots and 2 stalkers, micro well (or he micros horribly) and gain time. Suddenly you have 5 gates and your fist colossus coming with a nice observer around for banshees too.
And terran just won't be able to catch up.
But damn, you gotta make *no* mistakes. It feels great to have these losses where you feel you are improving instead of, you know, just losing.

ultron87

A few sentries can help you even if you aren't defending a ramp. Split his MM ball with a few forcefields and your zealots can get some uninterrupted slicing and dicing in. And if there's no way you're going to hold the expo you can cancel it, fall back up the ramp and force field.

PS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BryJV5ksjW4 Day 9 vs Dj Wheat 'showmatch' from MLG Dallas. Hilarity ensues.

IceMarker

ultron87 said:
A few sentries can help you even if you aren't defending a ramp. Split his MM ball with a few forcefields and your zealots can get some uninterrupted slicing and dicing in. And if there's no way you're going to hold the expo you can cancel it, fall back up the ramp and force field.

PS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BryJV5ksjW4 Day 9 vs Dj Wheat 'showmatch' from MLG Dallas. Hilarity ensues.
I love how Day9 was announcing every single move to Wheat and screen looking him too. :lol :lol

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Hmm related link to that shows a dude recording everything from the previous MLGs and Dallas as well :lol

Got to love internets sometimes

Corran Horn

mescalineeyes said:
I just got allin'd by a terran with 20 SCVs and 20 Marines. I fended it off with about 7 Zerglings and a Spinecrawler. Life's a bitch.
Did he them summon some mules and have better income than you?

:/

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I am having troubles with ZvZ. What is a pretty standard opening for this match because I am constantly getting owned early by lings. I usually send my scout out at 10 and one time i sent it at 7 to see if he was early pooling. My problem is not really knowing how to react if i see that. Do i create as many lings as possible? Do i create spine crawlers(assuming i created a pool in time before he attacks)? Get banelings ASAP? When do fellow zerg scout on ZvZ to make sure they dont get ling rushed early?

Trin3785 said:
I am having troubles with ZvZ. What is a pretty standard opening for this match because I am constantly getting owned early by lings. I usually send my scout out at 10 and one time i sent it at 7 to see if he was early pooling. My problem is not really knowing how to react if i see that. Do i create as many lings as possible? Do i create spine crawlers(assuming i created a pool in time before he attacks)? Get banelings ASAP? When do fellow zerg scout on ZvZ to make sure they dont get ling rushed early?

this is how I do ZvZ:

Drone up to 11 (with extractor trick), spawning pool, keep droning up until spawning pool is done, throw up 2 spine crawlers and then build the queen with the 2 supply you free up that way.
haven't lost a zvz in a long time like that, and if he scouts it, the spine crawlers will prevent him from going banes.

mescalineeyes said:
I just got allin'd by a terran with 20 SCVs and 20 Marines. I fended it off with about 7 Zerglings and a Spinecrawler. Life's a bitch.
Your opponent must had shit micro.

Trin3785 said:

ZvZ is like trying to drive a car with no Steering wheel while going 200km/h.

Trin3785 said:

In ZvZ I go 14 pool, 14 gas. Once the spawning pool pops get a Queen, then 1 zergling before dropping a Roach Warren. Drone up until it pops, get four Roaches to block ramp. Then build 20-22 more Roaches, another Queen, and an Evolution Chamber so I can throw down two spore colonies. Push out with the Roaches, block your ramp with the Queens, and you win.

If he was going Muta you'll have enough roaches to kill his Spire, lots of drones, maybe the Spawning Pool too. Make sure you have a well placed spine crawler or two in case her tries a run by. You'll have enough spore colonies and Queens to deal with his Mutas

TheExodu5

Banned
Trin3785 said:
Scout early...9th or 0th drone should be okay. Pool at 11. You should see the 6 lings coming well in advance. Just pull all your drones and defend. Unless he's really good at micro, you'll be way ahead in drones. Get 1 spine and a queen up, then just keep droning. He won't be able to touch you. Don't bother getting lings if you don't need the defense, side it will sacrifice economy. 1 spine will put up a far better fight than 6 lings. You can probably transition into roaches fairly quickly then and put a contain on him. Honestly, 6 pooling vs a Zerg is a bad idea, unless the Zerg gets really greedy with a late pool.

If you do want to go late pool, you better scout very early.

TheExodu5

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
In ZvZ I go 14 pool, 14 gas. Once the spawning pool pops get a Queen, then 1 zergling before dropping a Roach Warren. Drone up until it pops, get four Roaches to block ramp. Then build 20-22 more Roaches, another Queen, and an Evolution Chamber so I can throw down two spore colonies. Push out with the Roaches, block your ramp with the Queens, and you win.

If he was going Muta you'll have enough roaches to kill his Spire, lots of drones, maybe the Spawning Pool too. Make sure you have a well placed spine crawler or two in case her tries a run by. You'll have enough spore colonies and Queens to deal with his Mutas
Building 22 roaches? Better hope the attack doesn't fail, otherwise your economy will be shot.

zoukka

mescalineeyes said:
Drone up to 11 (with extractor trick), spawning pool, keep droning up until spawning pool is done, throw up 2 spine crawlers and then build the queen with the 2 supply you free up that way.
haven't lost a zvz in a long time like that, and if he scouts it, the spine crawlers will prevent him from going banes.

2 defensive spines "just in case"?

Just scout early and react accordingly. Many zerg players get early lings. Why not, if the opponent doesn't react, it's free drone kills. Lings speed is fucking essential. I try builds without it and most of the time fail horribly. It's just so good to have the option to run by, flank or just fast reinforce with speedlings. If opponent clearly has many lings, just pop a baneling nest. You don't need to be aggressive with them, but a few banelings with your army is just sick in zvz.

TheExodu5

Banned
zoukka said:
2 defensive spines "just in case"?

Just scout early and react accordingly. Many zerg players get early lings. Why not, if the opponent doesn't react, it's free drone kills. Lings speed is fucking essential. I try builds without it and most of the time fail horribly. It's just so good to have the option to run by, flank or just fast reinforce with speedlings. If opponent clearly has many lings, just pop a baneling nest. You don't need to be aggressive with them, but a few banelings with your army is just sick in zvz.
I'm awful with banelings, so I usually just rely on a few roaches, spines, and queens. If they're being aggressive with lings, then they're larva starved, meaning you can pull quite a bit ahead by using low larva cost units. 3 roaches + a queen and a spine can shut down an insane amount of lings.

I agree though, putting down 2 spines blindly is careless. Scout, scout, scout!

My problem usually is getting out teched. If he gets mutas out way before me, my economy isn't going to matter much. I still don't really have lair tech timings down.

TheExodu5 said:
Building 22 roaches? Better hope the attack doesn't fail, otherwise your economy will be shot.

It's definitely dangerous, but asn't failed so far. Should do enough damage to screw his economy and ensure he can't counter with any meaningful numbers, after which I get ling speed and start linging him to death. I've only done it about 10 times though (diamond 1400).

A more traditional strategy I've used is Roach/Baneling, and if he early expands mass and win.

I hate ZvZ because of this though. It's either going to be cheese or some type of one base mass.

TheExodu5

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
It's definitely dangerous, but asn't failed so far. Should do enough damage to screw his economy and ensure he can't counter with any meaningful numbers, after which I get ling speed and start linging him to death. I've only done it about 10 times though (diamond 1400).

A more traditional strategy I've used is Roach/Baneling, and if he early expands mass and win.

I hate ZvZ because of this though. It's either going to be cheese or some type of one base mass.
Yeah I guess I haven't gone up against a really solid 1 base push yet. I'm still in gold because I have barely played since release. Just started playing again...currenty 10-0 in my latest streak, so I think I'll be moving up soon.

I was doing really bad for a while, by I followed day 9's advice. I tried to lose with a lot of drones. After a good 10 straight losses, I finally reached a milestone. I tend to have just enough to push off those killer 1 base timing attacks while staying well ahead in terms of economy.

I also tend to favor queen heavy play. While I suck at putting down tumors atm, I will train myself to make full use of them in time. The extra queens are invaluable in defending pushes, fast air, and transfusion (3rd and maybe 4th queen for transfuse will really strengthen your defense.

I guess I try to play a purely reactionary Zerg...maximize macro as much as I can, while tryin to retain map control (zerg's strength, IMO).

TheExodu5 said:
I guess I try to play a purely reactionary Zerg...maximize macro as much as I can, while tryin to retain map control (zerg's strength, IMO).

I keep trying to do that, but sometimes just going in to fucking kill him is so tempting :x

mcrae

mescalineeyes said:

no you didnt

edit: it was a 12 marine 13 scv push that you defended with a queen, spinecrawler, and 14 speedlings

oh shit, yeah we did. so weird.

oh well, one more tab I'll have to check. I hope I remember. Then again, it's sorta time for me to fess up and join the Team Liquid board anyway, this is the only game I play anymore.

Narag

mcrae said:
lol whats the thought process behind moving this to online? mind boggling

Most of the discussion centers around the online tournaments, the mutilplayer, etc. The campaign is long since an afterthought and it keeps other threads bumped to page 2 on the gaming forum. I may not agree with the move but I can certainly see why.

Narag said:
Most of the discussion centers around the online tournaments, the mutilplayer, etc. The campaign is long since an afterthought and it keeps other threads bumped to page 2 on the gaming forum. I may not agree with the move but I can certainly see why.
Seems they have done the same for the Street Figher thread too, kinda silly to move threads about multiplayer games for talking about the multiplayer of said games.

Snow

Seems like they're moving a lot of the big OT threads about games with multiplayer here. Kinda weird, I always took the multiplayer forum being more for matchmaking between gaffers...

Snow said:
Seems like they're moving a lot of the big OT threads about games with multiplayer here. Kinda weird, I always took the multiplayer forum being more for matchmaking between gaffers...
Well the WoW thread hs been there for a while irrc

so since we're all multiplayer now, does anyone have time to look at one of my replays and tell me all the ways I botched it?

http://cl.ly/3A1i

I mean I know some stuff that I did wrong (like sending units to die), but I feel like I've reached a bit of a pleateau, so any help would be appreciated.

Used the mass Roach strat against a zerg on Jungle Basin. Not a good idea. Map is way too long to pull it off.

Next match was on Metaopolis. Had my first four Roaches blocking my ramp, and was ready to start pumping when I discovered he got an early exp. Pumped out 4 more Roaches, started ling speed, and attacked. Once I took out his Spine Crawler I positioned my Roaches in between/behind the small gap in the mineral line, to ensure he couldn't surround them easily. Shit was like a Spartan phalanx of Roaches. That annihilated the mass of lings he threw at me. Took out the natural then went into the main for the kill.

After my Overlord scouts a Z opponent's base, I immediately move it to the natural expansion - positioned so it can't be easily spotted. When I see a hatch going down I get ready to push. You know he's gonna use larvae on drones after the hatch pops, so that's a great time to make your move. Mass ling could do the trick, but if he has a Baneling Nest it could get ugly. So a nice Roach push is ideal imo, if you can't scout his base again.

AcridMeat

Banned
Me before (still a bronze btw):
IBd7y.jpg

Me recently (moving up bronze):
Sn7cR.jpg

Feels good to finally be getting wins again. :D

edit: I had a breakthrough in really finding ways to keep my money low and so far it has paid off.

Snow

pieatorium said:
Well the WoW thread hs been there for a while irrc
I guess, though the fact that it isn't viewable by non-members is because it was mostly used for matchmaking stuff I think. But I saw in the Reach thread (also moved) Online is going to be made public, so I guess this will now be the other OT forum, basically.

mescalineeyes said:
so since we're all multiplayer now, does anyone have time to look at one of my replays and tell me all the ways I botched it?

http://cl.ly/3A1i

I mean I know some stuff that I did wrong (like sending units to die), but I feel like I've reached a bit of a pleateau, so any help would be appreciated.

You blocked yourself at the beginning with the extractor trick; if you're going to use it, it's best to do it with two extractors instead of one. 9 Overlord, 14 Spawning Pool is the traditional opening, and gives you a slight resource advantage over the extractor trick.

That early expansion worked, but was kinda dangerous due to the rocks. If he scouted it early you could have been in trouble.

That first Roach attack was nice, killed his tanks/marines easily. Then your Overlord was left in his base and you saw him start getting a bunch of Tech Labs for Mauraders. At that point, getting speedlings would have been a good idea. Throughout the game you had a bunch of resources but didn't use them; if he had been more aggressive the game could have ended earlier. I noticed his resource count was always low, either due to him constantly building units or your Muta harass killing off his SCVs.

You had a lot of Mutas but didn't start harassing until late in the game. Could have decimated his expansion much earlier. Getting the +1 attack was a good idea on your part.

You could have won when he attacked that first time. Rushing your Mutas into his Marines/Vikings cost you the game imo. If you had kept them close to your B lords, they would have cleaned up the ground forces easily and you'd have a nice amount of Mutas left for a devastating counter attack. Also at that point he was going pure Marine. Just a few Banelings would have been a nice counter as well.

ultron87

It's so cold over here in this section of the forum.

My roommate's continuing education of Starcraft continues. Today I taught him what a Nydus worm does. . . by opening one in his base and spilling out many many roaches. I feel slightly bad about this.

Wedge7

lol, was looking for the thread and couldnt find it

I subscribe to threads, but then never really pay attention to that feature. Its more of a "Oh this is interesting, dont wanna forget about this" type thing.

Corran Horn

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty – Patch 1.1.3

General

- New game categories have been added to filter Tower Defense and Tug of War custom maps.

Balance

TERRAN
- Thor
+ This unit will now prioritize attacking ground combat units over Medivacs.

Bug Fixes

- Fixed a desync that could occur when trying to watch replays that had a dependency on bank files.

Boring update

What the fuck is going on !! where the fuck am I ??

What is this place called "online"

What's happening GAF !?

... anyway I guess this will be the second thread I ever subscribe to after the Demon's Souls OT which is now locked.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
We’re happy to announce an upcoming free-play weekend for the Southeast Asian edition of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. The free-play weekend kicks off at 00:00 on November 19 (GMT +8) and ends at 23:59 on November 21. We wanted to give the community this opportunity to invite their friends to try out StarCraft II's award-winning single-player and multiplayer gameplay over Battle.net free of charge.

New players who would like to participate can create Battle.net accounts at https://sea.battle.net/account/creation/tos.html and activate StarCraft II on their accounts. Players with existing Battle.net accounts which do not have StarCraft II are also welcome to participate. Note that an internet connection is required to play or simply visit your nearest internet gaming room installed with StarCraft II.

The free-play weekend also marks the availability of the prepaid game-time card options for players in Hong Kong/Macau, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, and Thailand. These game-time cards come in 3-day, 7-day, and 30-day increments and offer players flexible payment options to suit their preferences. For more information, please check the Alternative Pricing Press Release.

We hope you and your friends will join us for all the fun on November 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom