• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sblargh

Banned
I always thought the online forum was for "I'm online *right now*, let's play!"

EDIT: Oh, saw the stick. Yeah, makes sense.

Aylinato

so, I'm almost to 250 wins for team games, I am at 209. 41 left. So excited for the executor avatar. Then onto working towards mohander!

Btw, today I noticed the ranking system must not know where I am placed(or placing me with first 4v4 that can be formed) as I went from playing diamond/platinum people to gold, to bronze, back to diamond. It was fun playing today, many good wins, some bad loses, some really good loses. Though normally once I get out around 6-8 colosi I normally am able to destroy multiple bases. I've also really improved on my macro, been having 4 bases while the opponents still have the normal 2, they will attack one of my expos(believing I'll only have 2) and then I'll still be upgrading. Anyway it was a good day and I'm so close to teamwins =) (250)

Sblargh

Banned
I'm losing so fucking much I'm afraid I'll get demoted.
On a side note, I have been playing only terrans, with one or two Protoss here and there. I think it was 2 days ago when someone tipped me on how to play PvZ and I haven't tested yet. No zergs.

Sblargh said:
I'm losing so fucking much I'm afraid I'll get demoted.
On a side note, I have been playing only terrans, with one or two Protoss here and there. I think it was 2 days ago when someone tipped me on how to play PvZ and I haven't tested yet. No zergs.

of course, because all Zergs were busy ZvZing yesterday.

Feep

Banned
Ugh, online forum...do not like!

I played the best game of my career today, and I beat my first Platinum. BARELY held off early Roach aggression (honestly, I need to stop making 4 Zealots for fear of Zergling rush. 2 Zealots on hold position with a walloff is fine), expanded properly, quickly reacted to burrow tech with a quick Robo + CB Observer, spotted his Nydus worm at my back expansion and picked it off before major damage was done, scouted his Hydra den and went Colossus + epic force-fields for the finish.

It was beautiful. *tear*

V_Arnold

Back to platinum, hell yeah!
Now all I gotta do is to work on my ZVZ decisions and Diamond is in reach! :)

Won said:
Not enough stuff to complain about. :(

Just name a unit. Ill complain the hell out of that unit!

AcridMeat

Banned
Syth_Blade22 said:
http://sea.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/94655#blog

SEA top 200, 2 randoms in the top 3 :lol :lol
most of our good players can be found on the NA EU and or KR rankings now

Speaking of NA rankings, the screenshot with a bunch of 2v2 losses can be explained. A friend and I (both bronze), qualified into bronze already 100th. We then lost all of those games and their friend said apparently we are now ranked last in all of NA 2v2. :lol

We kept getting matched up against diamond players so we never had a chance. :(

V_Arnold said:
Back to platinum, hell yeah!
Now all I gotta do is to work on my ZVZ decisions and Diamond is in reach! :)

Just name a unit. Ill complain the hell out of that unit!

Did you get demoted to Gold or something?

V_Arnold

vicissitudes said:
Did you get demoted to Gold or something?

Yeah, before 1.2, I lost faith in Zerg, and started doing randoms/protoss again. Lost quite a lot, went below 50%, that is not something you wanna try in Ladder. Now if I wanna screw around, I go custom and search for Blizz maps instead :D

Btw, good games, Zoukka/Knives. Deadly timings out there.

Aylinato

has anyone else been practicing their micro, i seem to have been doing so well after seeing how well blink stalkers can destroy mass mutas(i keep blinking the ones they attack back before the animation finishes, so i avoid some damage that way)

pretty awesome

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Aylinato said:
has anyone else been practicing their micro, i seem to have been doing so well after seeing how well blink stalkers can destroy mass mutas(i keep blinking the ones they attack back before the animation finishes, so i avoid some damage that way)

pretty awesome
I've been trying not to pay attention to micro personally.

Aylinato

Hazaro said:
I've been trying not to pay attention to micro personally.

yea, i just love microing so much ^-^

btw, CellaWeRRa massed HTs in a 2v2 against 2 zergs, it was insane(then made about 10-12 archons! he's so awesome)

TheExodu5

Banned
I focus macro over micro unless I'm on the verge of losing because of the battle. Nothing worse than going through a tough 40 second micro battle and not having any larva from queen injects to resupply your drones/units.

Deadly

When does State of the Game start? Is there a live audio stream for it? I was looking for it but stumbled upon the day9 daily that was just about to start :D

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Deadly said:
When does State of the Game start? Is there a live audio stream for it? I was looking for it but stumbled upon the day9 daily that was just about to start :D
Late tuesdays is when they record I believe. I don't recall of a live stream but should be linked on teamliquid after.

Sblargh

Banned
Aylinato said:

pretty awesome

Yes, I am. I am favoring builds that allow for easy expansion now, so I spend a dangerous chunk of the game with few units. Micro has saved my life (winning me the game 15 minutes later) and doomed me on the first 10 minutes several ocasions.

Aylinato

Sblargh said:
Yes, I am. I am favoring builds that allow for easy expansion now, so I spend a dangerous chunk of the game with few units. Micro has saved my life (winning me the game 15 minutes later) and doomed me on the first 10 minutes several ocasions.

Yea, I've been doing a 6-8 stalker --> expo, thats why im enjoying microing(btw I can kite roaches forever before they get the speed upgrade

Sblargh

Banned
Aylinato said:
Yea, I've been doing a 6-8 stalker --> expo, thats why im enjoying microing(btw I can kite roaches forever before they get the speed upgrade

There is this video, it's either from the beta or from right after launch, of someone against Idra, and the guy attacks with a small number of stalker, Idra scout it, makes a bunch of roaches and keep power droning.
Then the guy goes and just starts blinking back one stalker at a time. I don't think he lost a single stalker taking out Idras entire roach defense.

ultron87

Sblargh said:
There is this video, it's either from the beta or from right after launch, of someone against Idra, and the guy attacks with a small number of stalker, Idra scout it, makes a bunch of roaches and keep power droning.
Then the guy goes and just starts blinking back one stalker at a time. I don't think he lost a single stalker taking out Idras entire roach defense.

That's how Nazgul beat Idra at MLG. It was awesome.

Feep

Banned
Someone tell me what to do against Mutas. I know how to handle every single fucking unit in this game except for goddamn Mutalisks. (I'm Protoss).

Blink Stalkers just don't seem to do it. They're too mobile. Even if I'm having some success, they come in with speedlings and wipe me out. I have to waste hundreds of minerals on static defenses just to prevent mineral line harass, and...

Agh.

Ashhong

Phoenixes work pretty well. But I found that if mutas are doing that much damage to me, it's GG. I just cant have enough of my army at every single base to defend against it.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Feep said:
Someone tell me what to do against Mutas. I know how to handle every single fucking unit in this game except for goddamn Mutalisks. (I'm Protoss).

Blink Stalkers just don't seem to do it. They're too mobile. Even if I'm having some success, they come in with speedlings and wipe me out. I have to waste hundreds of minerals on static defenses just to prevent mineral line harass, and...

Agh.
pressure his base/expansions with your units so that he has to pull mutas away from harass to help defend his shit? dunno, just throwing out what first popped into my head.

mcrae

Sblargh said:

yeah he had two queens a spine crawler and lings too. it was the first time we saw blink micro'd so well. i think it was huk? i remember the caster(s?) going crazy. what a good game

mcrae

Feep said:

Agh.

the thing is, once you do spend 200-300 at each base to defend, you buy enough time to gt your stalkers there and wipe the mutas out. or you finally force them to stop harassing... and stalkers vs mutas on the battlefield is easily in stalkers favour. speaking from a zerg perspective here.

edit: also having extremely good minimap attention, and pulling probes fast will shut it down. takes a looong time to kill a nexus. and dont bring ALL your stalkers to one base, put half there and half at the base you anticipate hell be at next.

webrunner

ugh.. reading the response to the new patch is reminding me why I hate games having such a competitive community.

It's quite possibly the smallest balance anyone could possibly ever do, only affects a mirror match, and in some ways affects both units favorably, but about 50% of the replies are OMG WHY BUFF TERRANS OMG FAVORITES BLIZZ LOVES TERRAN WHY NOT BUFF US INSTEAD whining

How anyone can have such a problem with such an insignificant change which does nothing but fix a single broken (as in not working properly) matchup in a mirror match, I'll never understand and makes me want to facepalm so hard that i'll end up inside-of-the-back-of-my-skull-palming.

Nyx

webrunner said:
ugh.. reading the response to the new patch is reminding me why I hate games having such a competitive community.

It's quite possibly the smallest balance anyone could possibly ever do, only affects a mirror match, and in some ways affects both units favorably, but about 50% of the replies are OMG WHY BUFF TERRANS OMG FAVORITES BLIZZ LOVES TERRAN WHY NOT BUFF US INSTEAD whining

How anyone can have such a problem with such an insignificant change which does nothing but fix a single broken (as in not working properly) matchup in a mirror match, I'll never understand and makes me want to facepalm so hard that i'll end up inside-of-the-back-of-my-skull-palming.

This is nothing compared to the whining on patches in World of Warcraft.

On another note, I'm thinking of buying the official guide for SC2, as it seems like a great way to learn about all the units, maps etc.

Surely I could use all kinds of websites, but the guide seems nice and I just like it better when I have a real book instead of some printed out strats from sites.

Anyone here have that guide ? Worth it ?

Jayx77

Nyx said:
On another note, I'm thinking of buying the official guide for SC2, as it seems like a great way to learn about all the units, maps etc.

Surely I could use all kinds of websites, but the guide seems nice and I just like it better when I have a real book instead of some printed out strats from sites.

Anyone here have that guide ? Worth it ?

I thought about buying it too, but I am afraid that it's already outdated with the balance changes they have already made. Or at least will be soon.

TheExodu5

Banned
I haven't read through the full guide, but it's actually pretty damn good. The advice they give is unrelated to unit balance. It's not like the original SC guide where they give specific unit counters and build orders. They actually give general purpose advice that will hold true regardless of balance changes.

I haven't looked at it much since release though, I should see what I think of it since I have a lot more knowledge of the game now.

Jayx77

TheExodu5 said:
I haven't read through the full guide, but it's actually pretty damn good. The advice they give is unrelated to unit balance. It's not like the original SC guide where they give specific unit counters and build orders. They actually give general purpose advice that will hold true regardless of balance changes.

Nice! I must track one down then.

Nyx

TheExodu5 said:
I haven't looked at it much since release though, I should see what I think of it since I have a lot more knowledge of the game now.

And that's what I'm looking for.

I'm not going to be a pro player anyway with the time I have to play this game, but I don't want to enter MP without any knowledge at all either. ;)

Played a few games against the AI, and the first few minutes are fine, but after that I'm clueless on what to build vs. the units the AI has build, or on how many drones I should have everywhere etc.

Also the map specifics seem nice to know, so I guess I'll just pickup the guide on my way home.

LakeEarth

FYI, next week's Funday Monday is the 4 minute expansion. Every 4 minutes, expand. If you lose your expansion, you have to wait 4 minutes to put down a new one. The idea is if the game goes 20 minutes, you should have 5 bases.

I really need to play, I think I played less than 10 games in October. I probably watched more daily's than that.

Deadman

Today i played 4, won 1.

First was a zvz that was actually quite fun. He attacked me with some lings just as my roaches came out, i killed and then countered, which he killed with his own roaches. Then it was just a muta race which i knew i would lose because he had an expansion that i barely didnt kill during my roach counter.

Games 2 and 3 were them rushing me really early, one with an 8 pool and one with a chronoboost zealot rush.

Game 4 i won on jungle basin, zvp. Went pool first which was good because it let me kill his early little push. Then i went 2 base ling roach muta and won from superior upgrades and macro.

TheExodu5

Banned
Nyx said:
And that's what I'm looking for.

I'm not going to be a pro player anyway with the time I have to play this game, but I don't want to enter MP without any knowledge at all either. ;)

Played a few games against the AI, and the first few minutes are fine, but after that I'm clueless on what to build vs. the units the AI has build, or on how many drones I should have everywhere etc.

Also the map specifics seem nice to know, so I guess I'll just pickup the guide on my way home.
Honestly, you should watch some Day 9 daily. I'll try to track down specific episodes for you when I get home tonight.

Off the top of my head, you should watch Back To Basics, and the drone focused breve Tuesday. The dj wheat coaching episode is great as well.

webrunner

Been playing single player, my thoughts so far:

Does every mission have to have some timing element out of my control? I just want to explore.. I didn't get all the razorbacks because I didn't want to let any trains pass.

Speaking of which, does getting the razorbacks net you anything but the achievement? It's wierd there's no in-game bonus that I can see, no credits, no tech, no nothing.

Also, I really can't wait for Legacy of the Void.. I just can't stand Tychus and Raynor redneckin' it up.. in the first game Raynor at least got out of this kind of feeling and into something bigger than him.. in this game he's acting like he's still the Sheriff he was when he started Starcraft 1 that he character developed out of. Maybe it was because he didn't spend the time talking to other rednecks.. most of his early conversations were with Kerrigan and Mensgk, then later it was mostly the token Terran in the Protoss campaign. At least this game has Hansen and Horner, but Horner just seems to be there so that Raynor has someone to talk to other than himself sometimes, and Hansen spends most of her time worried about things. The first Prophecy mission I played so far was so much more palatable.

TheExodu5

Banned
Feep said:

Agh.
I haven't watched it yet, but I'm pretty sure Monday's Day 9 daily was focused on shutting down muta harass.

ultron87

The lesson of the Monday Daily was that you need to pressure before he gets Mutas in the first place. That drastically helps with keeping the Muta numbers down and keeps his economy from going crazy.

TheExodu5

Banned
ultron87 said:
The lesson of the Monday Daily was that you need to pressure before he gets Mutas in the first place. That drastically helps with keeping the Muta numbers down and keeps his economy from going crazy.
That's exactly the kind of thinking that evolves after watching so many dailies. Too many people just think about unit counters, and not other areas relevant to the build. If he's saving for mutas, it would make sense that he's sacrificing quite a bit of army production. Pressure him and force him to spend money of defense, and he won't get nearly as many mutas out.

Leaving a Zerg to his own thing until he gets mutas is basically an invitation for him to take the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom