• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
syllogism said:
What? Speedlings are awful against blink stalkers, especially off creep
Speedlings are the perfect and Blizzard-advised counter for blink stalkers.

Keep in mind that you need to spend as much on speedlings as they spent on stalkers. The problem most people have is they assume equal amounts vs each other is a fair fight. You need to have 3-4 times more speedlings than the stalkers.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Speedlings are the perfect and Blizzard-advised counter for blink stalkers.

Keep in mind that you need to spend as much on speedlings as they spent on stalkers. The problem most people have is they assume equal amounts vs each other is a fair fight. You need to have 3-4 times more speedlings than the stalkers.

Actually, my advice would be to use hydras AND speedlings, since they're far stronger units and have higher range.

Zzoram

the benefit of speedlings vs stalkers is they quickly surround stalkers so they can't kite/retreat, making any roaches/hydras you have with them way more effective

syllogism

Speedlings + something else obviously works, but blink stalkers can abuse terrain so much pure speedlings isn't very good against them off creep.

Battlenet is pulling some silly ranking shenanigans with me.

Once I learned the basics of this game I've been killing bronze players. Had a 9 game win streak, then it pits me up against high skilled players and I get a 8 game loose streak. Now I'm playing bronzies again and I had a 10 game win streak last night. It seems to be having trouble finding my happy-medium. Still no promotion yet btw.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Blizzard-advised counter for blink stalkers.
lawlergasms.

-

anyway, point is: researching blink is a good skill toi have, brotosses.
dont neglect the citadel as a templar only techtree option!

LakeEarth

Deadman said:
Yay blizz revealed all the cheat codes. Now i can watch all the cinematics without having to do the campaign.
Now you can be disappointed with the ending even faster!

EDIT - I wouldn't mind playing with you guys, I'm just really bad at it :lol

TheRagnCajun said:
Battlenet is pulling some silly ranking shenanigans with me.

Once I learned the basics of this game I've been killing bronze players. Had a 9 game win streak, then it pits me up against high skilled players and I get a 8 game loose streak. Now I'm playing bronzies again and I had a 10 game win streak last night. It seems to be having trouble finding my happy-medium. Still no promotion yet btw.

I get the feeling it's clearly designed to do that. Blizzard has the tendencies to pull crap like this when working on their games to ensure a longer playtime from it's audience. It set you up to loose a certain amount of time, which gets you into that state of "i can win my ranking back", then to win a certain amount of times, to get players to think they're on a role, it's kinda like how slot machines tend to provide a gambler with small payouts to keep them playing, albeit the system favours wins, i think.

It's like how they use "build of the month/week/season" to get players to re-role and keep playing in wow.

FoxSpirit

Haha, just played a TvT. Accidential mispick.
Still won.

Was horrible, but I simply macored to get down those 3k and somehow in the end, it was 32k mined vs 18k. Low lvl Terran soooo bad. >.<

WedgeX

Banned
Deadman said:
Star battle is really fun. Just spent two hours playing it.

Yeah, I've been playing that with Aylinato regularly. I tend to die trying to save people who just won't quit trying to farm while getting shot at by four other ships :lol

So much fun.

Snow

les papillons sexuels said:
I get the feeling it's clearly designed to do that. Blizzard has the tendencies to pull crap like this when working on their games to ensure a longer playtime from it's audience. It set you up to loose a certain amount of time, which gets you into that state of "i can win my ranking back", then to win a certain amount of times, to get players to think they're on a role, it's kinda like how slot machines tend to provide a gambler with small payouts to keep them playing, albeit the system favours wins, i think.

It's like how they use "build of the month/week/season" to get players to re-role and keep playing in wow.
Eh, pretty sure they're using a fairly standard ELO type system. It's just that if you go through some big streak one way or the other the standard deviation of your estimated skill level shoots up and it takes a while to settle again. I didn't look at it closely, but from what I remember of the big formula shown at blizzcon it seems they're trying to take your record and fit it to some sort of normal distribution, which (from my limited understanding) is more or less what ELO systems also try to do.

Which is btw also their reason for not exposing the internal MMR; they don't actually keep track of absolute ranks but rather of a normal distribution per player (i.e. mean, variance) which are numbers that are somewhat non-intuitive, and also kinda static when looking at the influence of single games.

Zzoram

Man, 1v1 is so hard. ZvZ I faced one base Hydra/Ling and it was surprisingly strong against my 20hatch. I didn't think I could lose but he just overwhelmed me with units.

Aylinato

WedgeX said:
Yeah, I've been playing that with Aylinato regularly. I tend to die trying to save people who just won't quit trying to farm while getting shot at by four other ships :lol

So much fun.

yes, brother, we have fun playing it as i yell at you for doing what you were just complaining about! :lol :lol :lol

Zzoram

Ecto311 said:
Is the team liquid app the only way to view the forums over on an iPhone? Do the have a secondapps style page?

You can just view it in Safari.

They don't have a secondapps page because their forum is pure custom code so they can't just use stuff designed to work interchangeably with template code based forums like NeoGAF.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I'm so sad....bnet dropped me from like 5 games, so now I'm in silver league. How the fuck did I drop from top of gold to silver so quickly?

Zzoram said:
They don't have a secondapps page because their forum is pure custom code so they can't just use stuff designed to work interchangeably with template code based forums like NeoGAF.
It's just screen scraping. If an SC2 player wanted to scrape the TL forums and make custom HTML/CSS/JS for it, they could do it.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
NaNiWa has been kicked out of IEM European Championships after accumulating too many penalty points.

Dude must have a serious issue, also got kicked out of EPS Germany, having moved there just for it.

WedgeX

Banned
Zzoram said:
Man, 1v1 is so hard. ZvZ I faced one base Hydra/Ling and it was surprisingly strong against my 20hatch. I didn't think I could lose but he just overwhelmed me with units.

Yeah it is. GAF night was all 1v1s. Other gaffers looked good playing but said they played terribly. I just...I don't even know.

Corran (I think...) destroyed me while I was feebly attempting to mass some units.

The next match against Aylinato I attempted a bunker + marines + marauder + tank rush and actually caught him off guard since I'm generally passive. Then he surprised me by getting a zealot in among my scvs. That'll teach me for thinking a probe is dead. :lol He just toyed with me after that. I've figured out that I'm drawn towards the tug of war games like desert strike and colonial line wars because I'm not doing as much mutlitasking such as spawning units, moving my line of units up, expanding and the like. I need to practice that a bunch more. Some day!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
This is only a test, but seeing about recording GAF nights etc for viewing afterwards :lol

Here is a test, used livestream for the time being until I can finish tweaking my justin.tv settings
http://corran.blip.tv/

Keep in mind these were some bad games :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

ultron87

Yeah, but I wouldn't be shocked if someone figures out some stableish build for this. I really like the idea of ninjaing an expansion for 90 seconds with a crap ton of mules and then just flying away.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I think getting demoted has been such a good thing for my play, before I was just using various all-ins to win but now I'm trying to play a more macro style. Might still be a bit too passive, but love flying around with Mutas just ruining some Terrans day.

LakeEarth said:
As stated in that thread, wouldn't you get raped early game?

Considering the build time of a CC, and then OC, I think it takes closer to 4-5 minutes for it to pay itself off. Yeah I'd think you'd get raped early game.

Vaporak

TheRagnCajun said:
Considering the build time of a CC, and then OC, I think it takes closer to 4-5 minutes for it to pay itself off. Yeah I'd think you'd get raped early game.

Terran's have the strongest early game army, period. I wouldn't be surprised if someone found a way to defend any early aggression from a zerg/toss until this build kicks in. Definitely one to keep an eye on even if it doesn't pan out.

Zzoram

I found that even with only 3 orbitals off 2 base, it's incredibly hard to spend the minerals. You definitely still need supply depots because of how slow CC's build and how quickly infantry build.

A normal 2 base 2 orbital terran can support like 6 barracks, with 3 orbitals you can support like 9, but you mine out faster. That doesn't matter if your timing push is 50% stronger though.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/1213111662
Patch notes for next patch

Balance

• PROTOSS

o -- Hallucination research time decreased from 110 to 80.

o -- Observer

+ Cost decreased from 50/100 to 25/75.

o -- Phoenix

+ Build time decreased from 45 to 35.

o -- Void Ray

+ Now deals 20% more damage to massive targets.

+ Flux Vanes speed upgrade removed.

* • TERRAN

o -- Bunker

+ Build time decreased from 35 to 30.

# This is only a temporary change for the patch 1.2.0 PTR.

* -- SCV

o Repairing SCVs now assume the same threat priority as the unit they’re repairing.

+ SCV construction movement made more consistent.

* • ZERG

o -- Infestor

+ Fungal Growth no longer affects air units.

So phoenix openings to become standard in pvz now i guess :/

Won

# • Stalemate Detection has been added:

* -- The game will end in a tie for all remaining players if no players have income, production, or destroyed any structures for three consecutive minutes.

* -- A countdown timer will now appear when the game detects this scenario.

# • Customizable Hotkey Support has been added.
:eek:

Also wtf @ Fungal change?

TheExodu5

Banned
Stalemate detection is dumb. There have been some epic matches revolving around unit vs. unit micro where no buildings get destroyed for quite a while. The TTOne match on Kulas Ravine comes to mind.

edit: why did no one mention this!?

* • Battle.net Chat Channels have been added

YEAAAAAAAHHHHH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom