• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ikuu said:
Keep losing games due to stupid errors, was playing some guy who was making nothing but Marines and was holding him off, made some banelings and charge them into his Marines and hit X to detonate, only problem was that I had all 10 or so selected :lol
?
You should never do that, just use the move command and click beyond the marines.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
There is nothing worse for me than hitting Z thinking I have a drone selected while actually having my baneling army selected (I use the Grid Layout). :lol

doesnt happen often but when it does... facepalm.gif

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Hazaro said:
You should never do that, just use the move command and click beyond the marines.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

Another night of laddering and it honestly feels like I'm going backwards, it's not as if I'm being outplayed, it feels like I'm just throwing games away; being too passive, being too aggressive, not scouting, and the worst, scouting and not reacting properly.

Ikuu said:
Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

Another night of laddering and it honestly feels like I'm going backwards, it's not as if I'm being outplayed, it feels like I'm just throwing games away; being too passive, being too aggressive, not scouting, and the worst, scouting and not reacting properly.
heh, don't worry -- everyone has off days. make sure you are well rested, at least that's what does the trick for me.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Who is the best guy to contact for gaf nights on the US? Is it Valenti?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
valenti said:
so you're the one afraid?
if you really want me to whoop you silly when my internet gets back, i will. :p

translators note: 'whoop you silly' means 'go 1:5'

Why you gotta seem so hostile lately, val? its all ♥ here.

LakeEarth

If you guys haven't watched DreamHack, you have to watch the finals, especially game 3
and 4
. So many storms.

Of course you gotta put up with that doofus second commentator. This is gonna be huge, that is gonna be huge. The start of every sentence is a repeat of what Day 9 JUST said, followed up by some pointless comment.

Mareg

Trin3785 said:
There is nothing worse for me than hitting Z thinking I have a drone selected while actually having my baneling army selected (I use the Grid Layout). :lol

Oh gawd I hear yah. I have lost games because of this. Games where I had a definite advantage. But I don't think larvae is the worst case of miss keying Z.

The worst is when you have a big army of lings/bane and the game auto focus on the ban key maping. Then you say "Alright I have those lings selected I'll just press Z a bunch of time to morph them in awesome Banelings..... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU x.x

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Mareg said:
Oh gawd I hear yah. I have lost games because of this. Games where I had a definite advantage. But I don't think larvae is the worst case of miss keying Z.

The worst is when you have a big army of lings/bane and the game auto focus on the ban key maping. Then you say "Alright I have those lings selected I'll just press Z a bunch of time to morph them in awesome Banelings..... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU x.x

this too makes me very sad =(

Q8D3vil

Trin3785 said:

high five for using grid.
playing with other races is so fucking easy after learning grid.:D

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Q8D3vil said:
high five for using grid.
playing with other races is so fucking easy after learning grid.:D

Agreed, I have been playing as the other races to learn what everything does for toss and terran. Without Grid, i would suck even more then i already do which wouldnt be fun at all! :lol

On a side note, I just bought the Naga Razer mouse and have been trying to use it for quick base and army selection. Its hard to use for that tho, I cant function correctly when using the side buttons. Its pretty awesome tho :)

Ecto311

LakeEarth said:
If you guys haven't watched DreamHack, you have to watch the finals, especially game 3
and 4
. So many storms.

Of course you gotta put up with that doofus second commentator. This is gonna be huge, that is gonna be huge. The start of every sentence is a repeat of what Day 9 JUST said, followed up by some pointless comment.
I watched the stream with my wife. We are both new to Starcraft 2 but loved the casting. Day9 is really entertaining. I would watch that dude even if I didn't play. He also makes the state of the game podcasts too. Crazy he does a daily most of the time for free. Great information / entertainment.

mr stroke

can someone tell me how the multiplayer point system works?

I have won 4 games in a row but my listed points stay the same?
and there are people ranked above me with worse records? WTF?

mr stroke said:
You should be gaining points for every win in quick match, and losing points for losses. If you're not, b.net may be screwing up, but you should get them eventually.
This is to be expected, particularly if you haven't used up your bonus pool.

Really, you shouldn't worry about your points or ranking at all at least until you get into diamond, as it's a very contrived system designed to "sucker" people into playing more far more so than it is an indication of relative skill.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Ecto311 said:
I watched the stream with my wife. We are both new to Starcraft 2 but loved the casting. Day9 is really entertaining. I would watch that dude even if I didn't play. He also makes the state of the game podcasts too. Crazy he does a daily most of the time for free. Great information / entertainment.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I no longer have any confidence playing against protoss. Dunno what the hell happened but I can't seem to win against them anymore. Sometimes it's the pylon block/photon cannon delay, most times it's proxy pylon pressure.

Keikaku

Just got to 100 wins with Protoss. I've been slowly laddering more over the last week or so. Lost maybe 3-4 games, won about 10. Getting back in the groove.

Aylinato

Keikaku said:
Just got to 100 wins with Protoss. I've been slowly laddering more over the last week or so. Lost maybe 3-4 games, won about 10. Getting back in the groove.
My brother and I have been playing dessert strike and ship wars, his name is Wedge and I always roleplay as if we were rogue squadron and if he dies I call for vengeance/where the hell is Corran to save him!

P.S. I believe we should get a GAF fleet assembled for this epic game(6 players!) shameless stolen idea from wedge

fanboi

Banned
Aylinato said:
My brother and I have been playing dessert strike and ship wars, his name is Wedge and I always roleplay as if we were rogue squadron and if he dies I call for vengeance/where the hell is Corran to save him!

P.S. I believe we should get a GAF fleet assembled for this epic game(6 players!) shameless stolen idea from wedge

3v3 epic?! Comeback when you have done 4v4 GAF epic game!

mr stroke said:
can someone tell me how the multiplayer point system works?

This sounds like a stupid question but have you done all your placement matches yet?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
PhoenixDark said:
I no longer have any confidence playing against protoss. Dunno what the hell happened but I can't seem to win against them anymore. Sometimes it's the pylon block/photon cannon delay, most times it's proxy pylon pressure.
if you ever figure it out, let me know. >_>

machines zvp build is what im trying atm. mixed results. burrow micro is hard. [why the heck is burrow and unburrow the same hotkey? seige and unseige isnt!]

Darklord

Banned
What's the best way of stopping mass stalkers? It seems nearly every game the protoss goes mass stalkers. It's especially bad in 3v3 or 4v4 and 3 players are toss. Stalkers fucking everywhere.

Also, I still fucking hate the matchmaking in this game. Versing diamond players with pro level stats? Really? Fucking REALLY? And calling them "slightly favored". I'm bronze! And I'll forever stay that because all I do is verse Diamond players. :(

farnham

Banned
Darklord said:
What's the best way of stopping mass stalkers? It seems nearly every game the protoss goes mass stalkers. It's especially bad in 3v3 or 4v4 and 3 players are toss. Stalkers fucking everywhere.

Also, I still fucking hate the matchmaking in this game. Versing diamond players with pro level stats? Really? Fucking REALLY? And calling them "slightly favored". I'm bronze! And I'll forever stay that because all I do is verse Diamond players. :(
No Blink

protoss -> Colossi, Immortals (probably the better choice. Its a hard counter)
terran -> Tanks, Marines and Marauders (Hardcounter)
Zerg -> Zerglings

With Blink

Protoss -> immortals or Chargelots
Zerg -> Zerglings with Speed
Terran -> Marines and Marauders with stim

Colossi and Tanks dont do well with Blink Stalkers because they just blink right next to them and focus fire them (and Colossi, Tanks are more expensive)

Darklord said:

For zerg: speedlings and Hydras. But when you get Hydras you have to be scouting constantly to make sure he doesn't start moving towards Colossus and catch you off guard.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
farnham said:
No Blink
Zerg -> Zerglings
)
stalkers are faster and ranged, they win.
you need speedlings for stalkers of any kind. if they have blink, you're in trouble without hydras.

farnham

Banned
Pandaman said:
stalkers are faster and ranged, they win.
you need speedlings for stalkers of any kind. if they have blink, you're in trouble without hydras.
in theory yes but they do so little damage to zerglings. also stalkers are actually as fast as zerglings without speed off creep and slower on creep.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
farnham said:
in theory yes but they do so little damage to zerglings. also stalkers are actually as fast as zerglings without speed off creep and slower on creep.
oh.
then all i can say against it is all my slow zerglings die without killing stuff when someone double stalkers me.
and i fricken hate getting double stalker'd.

mr stroke

TheExodu5 said:
Also, those records may be against overall better players, depending on matchmaking luck.

this is the only logical explanation then, because-

my record shows 42-45
there are people 4-15 ahead of me

but do the points next to the wins or loses(plus or minus) mean anything? sometimes I win a game and get +2 and others its +8, same goes for loses. Just lost a game and got -21
?

TheExodu5

Banned
mr stroke said:
this is the only logical explanation then, because-

my record shows 42-45
there are people 4-15 ahead of me

but do the points next to the wins or loses(plus or minus) mean anything? sometimes I win a game and get +2 and others its +8, same goes for loses. Just lost a game and got -21
?

Depends on the ranking of your opponent.

Vaporak

Pandaman said:
oh.
then all i can say against it is all my slow zerglings die without killing stuff when someone double stalkers me.
and i fricken hate getting double stalker'd.

Na you're right, stalkers are great against slow lings because they're ranged and fast enough to get a few free hits off when you're off creep. Speedlings though seem to be the best low tech defense against stalkers both before and after blink. When I use blink stalkers I love it when the zerg gets only roaches instead of either speedlings, or a speedling roach mix.

Ashhong

Pandaman said:
if you ever figure it out, let me know. >_>

machines zvp build is what im trying atm. mixed results. burrow micro is hard. [why the heck is burrow and unburrow the same hotkey? seige and unseige isnt!]

SERIOUSLY! Nothing worse than having my roaches burrowed, and bringing my hydras over on the same hotkey as my roaches, pressing R to unburrow the roaches and seeing my hydras go down :lol

BigAT

Is there an optimal way to hunt down a probe that is warping in things using just your workers? There were a couple of games yesterday where people attempted to proxy rush me. I discovered the attempts extremely early and was able to deal with them, but the other players were able to micro their probes well enough that I couldn't get rid of it until I got a marine out. As a result, a lot more was warping in than I would have wanted and it resulted in taking more time to deal with because I couldn't kill the probe with my SCVs.

BigAT said:
Is there an optimal way to hunt down a probe that is warping in things using just your workers? There were a couple of games yesterday where people attempted to proxy rush me. I discovered the attempts extremely early and was able to deal with them, but the other players were able to micro their probes well enough that I couldn't get rid of it until I got a marine out. As a result, a lot more was warping in than I would have wanted and it resulted in taking more time to deal with because I couldn't kill the probe with my SCVs.

get a marine out asap... there's really not much else you can do. but it's never a bad idea to scout all the proxy possibilities well in advance because god knows you don't want to be caught with your pants down.

syllogism

Vaporak said:
Na you're right, stalkers are great against slow lings because they're ranged and fast enough to get a few free hits off when you're off creep. Speedlings though seem to be the best low tech defense against stalkers both before and after blink. When I use blink stalkers I love it when the zerg gets only roaches instead of either speedlings, or a speedling roach mix.
What? Speedlings are awful against blink stalkers, especially off creep

Won

BigAT said:

If your opponent actually micros his probe? Not really. But you can follow it with one SCV and try to block his warp ins with another. Probably your best shot of killing it.

syllogism said:
What? Speedlings are awful against blink stalkers, especially off creep

Awful? Hell no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom