• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keikaku said:
I don't recall hearing any complaints about the prize distribution from the players and they're to ones who're actually trying to make a living on this. In fact, from what I've heard from SOTG, MLG got almost unanimous praise for raising the prize pool this year. What exactly is your beef with it?
Many pros who are outside of the US complained about the small prize money and it being not worth it with traveling expenses and all. Add to that how ridiculously MLG is hard for newcomers to get in the money and how forgiving it is for players who are already in pool play to drop down and you see the problem.

I hope there will be major overhauls to their shitty tournament format next year.

Keikaku

TheThunder said:
Many pros who are outside of the US complained about the small prize money and it being not worth it with traveling expenses and all. Add to that how ridiculously MLG is hard for newcomers to get in the money and how forgiving it is for players who are already in pool play to drop down and you see the problem.

I hope there will be major overhauls to their shitty tournament format next year.

That's my point. Considering the number of events they host, it's not a small amount of prize money.

I will agree that they really need to change the way that pools are determined. As of right now, it's way to easy for players who aren't all that good to still be seeded in pool play over many consecutive tourneys.

As for the number of people playing through the open bracket, I don't want them to reduce it. It's way more awesome and dramatic for people to battle through the open bracket and into the pools than it is to have a tournament that has 32 players total.

EDIT: Working on SC2-GAF shirt designs. Here's hoping they turn out well.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
TheThunder said:

good? do we really want eu and kr players stifling the north american scene by attending every tournament?

im not interested in paying current pros more, i want to develop more pros. lots of smaller tourneys is a good way to do that

Pandaman said:
good? do we really want eu and kr players stifling the north american scene by attending every tournament?

im not interested in paying current pros more, i want to develop more pros. lots of smaller tourneys is a good way to do that
They're not attending any other NA tournaments, MLG is the premier North American league so it makes sense to want an international representation just like you see in a Dreamhack or an IEM.

There's a lot of small tourneys that these new pros could play in and prove themselves that even the top NA guys don't play in (when was the last time Idra played in a weekly cup?)

BigAT

My biggest problem with the MLG's Starcraft prize pool is that BLOPS' prize pool is twice as large and Halo's prize pool is four times as large, despite both games (appearing) to be significantly less popular than Starcraft.

I understand that those are teams games instead of an individual competition like Starcraft. I don't care.

Here's why: prize dollar amount per person seems like an absolutely silly way to measure the company's investment in a game. All I see is that MLG's financial investment in Halo is four times as large as their investment in Starcraft. When you look at viewership numbers, subscription counts and attendance, which essentially determines revenue for MLG, no one would ever say something as foolish as "Well Starcraft II had 20 million viewers and Halo had 10 million viewers, but there are four people per Halo team."

I'm using GAF as a small part of the whole to project popularity for each game. Although I'm sure the 95% SCII/5% Halo/0% BLOPS breakdown that seems to occur in every MLG isn't close to the actual numbers, I can't imagine that they are so far off that Halo is four times as popular as Starcraft II.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
nasl season 2 maps

• Antiga Shipyard (Cross positions enforced)
  • Dual Sight
  • Bel'Shir Beach
  • Terminus SE (Rocks at 3rd and on the path to 3rd)
  • Metalopolis (Cross positions enforced, rocks at gold)
  • Taldarim Altar LE (Rocks at 3rd)
  • Crevasse
  • Shattered Temple (Cross positions enforced)
  • Xel'naga Caverns

Rocks on meta gold lol

Keikaku

BigAT said:
My biggest problem with the MLG's Starcraft prize pool is that BLOPS' prize pool is twice as large and Halo's prize pool is four times as large, despite both games (appearing) to be significantly less popular than Starcraft.

I understand that those are teams games instead of an individual competition like Starcraft. I don't care.

Here's why: prize dollar amount per person seems like an absolutely silly way to measure the company's investment in a game. All I see is that MLG's financial investment in Halo is four times as large as their investment in Starcraft. When you look at viewership numbers, subscription counts and attendance, which essentially determines revenue for MLG, no one would ever say something as foolish as "Well Starcraft II had 20 million viewers and Halo had 10 million viewers, but there are four people per Halo team."

I'm using GAF as a small part of the whole to project popularity for each game. Although I'm sure the 95% SCII/5% Halo/0% BLOPS breakdown that seems to occur in every MLG isn't close to the actual numbers, I can't imagine that they are so far off that Halo is four times as popular as Starcraft II.

LiquidTyler had a post where he basically said that MLG set the SC2 prize pool at an amount that would be sure to attract the pro players. They won't, as a business, invest more in a prize pool than is necessary to bring the top talent to each MLG event. Judging from the SC2 player pool at their events, they have been successful.

Another thing to remember is that the prize pool is not 100% put down by MLG (personally, I would be surprised if it was anything remotely close). Sponsors also provide money towards the prize pools for certain games.

SC2 may have the biggest pro scene, but Halo/Black Ops have far bigger player bases and are mainstream titles that dominate the gaming market. Regardless of how small their pro scenes are, sponsors are reaching a very large, lucrative demographic by supporting them. And of course as team games, they're going to have bigger prize pools. As the SC2 scene grows and bigger sponsors arrive, the prize pools will get bigger.

Right now Europe has a very impressive crop of talent and a community that is constantly working together/practicing to get better; they also have a bunch of online tournaments and some big live events. Meanwhile the NA scene is basically dominated by the exact same people who dominated during the beta two years ago. We've got some of the most tournaments but the player base is weak, and lazy. Once Korea turns its full attention to SC2, I fear NA will be left in the dust. We'll see companies continue to partner with Koreans, get sponsors, then send them around the US winning shit.

I definitely think more needs to be done to cultivate a healthy pro scene in NA. I think MLG is great, but they could be doing a better job helping put the spotlight on some of these up and comers - not just from NA to be fair, but also from EU. They really need to fix the points system/rankings or it will just continue to be dominated by the same crop of lackluster players being rewarded for being on big name teams. InControl is honest enough to admit he hasn't played well and doesn't deserve his ranking, and that applies to many other people. Let's get some fresh blood in there and build careers. Cruncher is pretty much the last NA guy I can remember who managed to make a name for himself.

Q8D3vil

Corran Horn said:
nasl season 2 maps

• Dual Sight
  • Bel'Shir Beach
  • Crevasse
  • Xel'naga Caverns

Rocks on meta gold lol
surprised they picked belshir beach, the worst map in the world.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
PhoenixDark said:
SC2 may have the biggest pro scene, but Halo/Black Ops have far bigger player bases and are mainstream titles that dominate the gaming market. Regardless of how small their pro scenes are, sponsors are reaching a very large, lucrative demographic by supporting them. And of course as team games, they're going to have bigger prize pools. As the SC2 scene grows and bigger sponsors arrive, the prize pools will get bigger.

Right now Europe has a very impressive crop of talent and a community that is constantly working together/practicing to get better; they also have a bunch of online tournaments and some big live events. Meanwhile the NA scene is basically dominated by the exact same people who dominated during the beta two years ago. We've got some of the most tournaments but the player base is weak, and lazy. Once Korea turns its full attention to SC2, I fear NA will be left in the dust. We'll see companies continue to partner with Koreans, get sponsors, then send them around the US winning shit.

I definitely think more needs to be done to cultivate a healthy pro scene in NA. I think MLG is great, but they could be doing a better job helping put the spotlight on some of these up and comers - not just from NA to be fair, but also from EU. They really need to fix the points system/rankings or it will just continue to be dominated by the same crop of lackluster players being rewarded for being on big name teams. InControl is honest enough to admit he hasn't played well and doesn't deserve his ranking, and that applies to many other people. Let's get some fresh blood in there and build careers. Cruncher is pretty much the last NA guy I can remember who managed to make a name for himself.

I would have loved to have seen the Koreans that attended the latest MLG attend the latest Dreamhack, I think it would have been a much better showing, sure a Korean may have won it, but I don't think, no I'm positive they wouldnt have held the top 6 positions due to there being so many european players who are damn good, that just dont get the recognition here, or on TL because they just keep to the euro scene.

Mairu

Corran Horn said:
nasl season 2 maps

• Dual Sight
  • Bel'Shir Beach
  • Crevasse
  • Xel'naga Caverns

Rocks on meta gold lol
They actually added rocks?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Mairu said:
They actually added rocks?

Every league needs to have their "own" maps

WsPYM.jpg

82I7vl.jpg

They also hide the results so no spoilers.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Cancelling a morphing OC that is under construction now returns 113 minerals.
Cancelling a morphing PF that is under construction now returns 113 / 113.

Prior to the latest patch cancelling either upgrade would return 100%.

Hidden terran nerf in the latest patch.

MrKnives

Corran Horn said:
It prevents MarineKing from doing his rush to gold base build lol

That's what came into my mind too ^^ Don't really know if it affects anything else. Most people take gold as their 4th or 5th.
Why mess with perfection.

HolyCheck said:
Cancelling a morphing OC that is under construction now returns 113 minerals.
Cancelling a morphing PF that is under construction now returns 113 / 113.

Prior to the latest patch cancelling either upgrade would return 100%.

Hidden terran nerf in the latest patch.

Makes sense.

fanboi

Banned
MrKnives said:
That's what came into my mind too ^^ Don't really know if it affects anything else. Most people take gold as their 4th or 5th.
Why mess with perfection.

Makes sense.

Did you win last game yesterday?

MrKnives

fanboi said:
Did you win last game yesterday?

Yes

Shine
1 - 0
FruitDealer

:(

WHY FD YOU MUST HURT ME LIKE THIS.

UpHJO.jpg

fanboi should watch his ZvZ with Stephano and finals with MaNa. Very good series. Comeback from 0-2

Q8D3vil

some pro's opinions on nasl2 maps.

TT1 on rocks in the gold.
excellent mappool, the rocks on metal makes it so zerg cant sneak in a gold exp when p decides to fe which was pretty fucking op, if u dont know wat ur talking about plz refrain from posting

Jinro
What the hell are these changes lol

Dont mind the metal change toooooo much, but only cross pos is kinda strange, Id rather just have a new map then I think?

Terminus changes are ????

Bel'shir seems like a weird map to add as everyone has said already.

Zzoram

Bel'shir Beach isn't weird to add, its the most fucking beautiful map in all of Starcraft 2. More maps need to be made that look that good.

mescalineeyes said:
can someone explain to me why bel'shir beach so strongly favors zerg? I don't really understand to be honest.
The zerg doesn't have to run through your army to get to your base and the expo's push you further away from their base unless you take the gold

cdyhybrid

mescalineeyes said:
can someone explain to me why bel'shir beach so strongly favors zerg? I don't really understand to be honest.

If it doesn't favor T or P it obviously favors Z. There is no such thing as balance.

Q8D3vil

mescalineeyes said:
multiple ways into the that lead to the natural make it easy for zerg to counter attack and muta's are also a very good unit to mass because of the huge air space on that map.

MrKnives

http://eu.battle.net/blizzcon/en/tournaments/eu-regionals/

Blizz EU Invite - Day 1

Blizzard's first Invitational on the EU Bnet server! 8 Players are battling for a $24,500, prizepool as well as a chance to grab prestigious spots at the 2011 Global Battle.net Invitational. They are:

Strelok, Thorzain, Naniwa, Liquid`Ret, White-Ra, Nerchio, Socke and Tarson.

Starts in 1h45min.

Is there a thread coming/already up?

Holden

MrKnives said:
Newest stats.

http://i.imgur.com/uaVuw.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

*mocking cause old*

[QUOTE=mescalineeyes]can someone explain to me why bel'shir beach so strongly favors zerg? I don't really understand to be honest.[/QUOTE]

cause there is like a billion paths and its impossible to FE as terran/toss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom