• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keikaku

Birdman02 said:
MLG pays there entire travel, right? Or at least the plane tickets? I could be a wrong, but I think a round trip from Korea is at least $4-5K.

Mairu has already addressed the MLG part of your question.

A quick search of Priceline/Kayak shows that round-trip ticket to Korea (booked from NYC to Seoul for maximum distance) is around $1300 on an economy seat. The travel stiped announced by NASL seems pretty generous here and it really makes the Korean teams look bad.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Corran Horn said:
nasl interests decrease greatly. if it wasn't low before.

Agreed, I wasn't going to pay for season 2 but now?

I'm not sure if I'm even going to watch it.

Mairu

Keikaku said:
Mairu has already addressed the MLG part of your question.

A quick search of Priceline/Kayak shows that round-trip ticket to Korea (booked from NYC to Seoul for maximum distance) is around $1300 on an economy seat. The travel stiped announced by NASL seems pretty generous here and it really makes the Korean teams look bad.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=253750&currentpage=14#277
What are you talking about? I'm managing Team Liquid and I can tell you that the planetickets cost around 1200 $ for a return ticket. Hotel during the event wouldn't be more than 400$ and then you can eat and drink for less than 50$ a day. What's the problem here? 2000 $ is more than sufficient to cover all costs.
My only real problem with what happened is how late NASL was made aware of their withdrawal. They should've confirmed their demands before even participating in the Qualifier/Open Tournament. I expect the SC2Con to release a statement though, so maybe we'll hear another side of the story.

Won

Mairu said:
My only real problem with what happened is how late NASL was made aware of their withdrawal. They should've confirmed their demands before even participating in the Qualifier/Open Tournament. I expect the SC2Con to release a statement though, so maybe we'll hear another side of the story.

Well there are now more Koreans than in Season 1 after the qualifiers. I guess the teams realized too late that they may not have the money to support all players. The 500$ really seem to bother them.

Keikaku

Mairu said:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=253750&currentpage=14#277

Just so we're clear, we are agreeing here right? I think we're both saying the same thing . . .

Mairu

Won said:
Well there are now more Koreans than in Season 1 after the qualifiers. I guess the teams realized too late that they may not have the money to support all players. The 500$ really seem to bother them.
NASL was willing to lower the prize pool and increase the stipend to $2000. That seems like enough. Even in S1 they apparently covered all the travel costs for the Korean players:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=253750&currentpage=19#372
We already set the precedent for this in Season 1. We bought tickets for MC, Zenio, PuMa, Squirtle with the deal that we'd subtract it from their prize money. We actually lost money on Zenio because he lost in the first round. We have already proven our determination in making sure Koreans make it to the event.
Can't wait to hear what the SC2Con statement says :O
Keikaku said:
Just so we're clear, we are agreeing here right? I think we're both saying the same thing . . .
ya

edit:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewpost.php?post_id=10805423
We have absolutely no problem if the Koreans think the NASL is not worth their time // investment. Our only issue is the fact that they all: a) knew the contents of the contract, b) deliberately signed up players to qualify for the league, c) made demands, and d) waited until we already started the season to tell us that our offers to them were not acceptable.
I am pretty sure this is Xeris' account and I have been extremely critical of NASL in the past but these are all reasonable expectations.

Tricky situation for NASL. I'd wait to hear from the KR side before jumping to conclusions.

From NASL's side of the story, it seems of course that the Koreans are unreasonable. But it wouldn't surprise me if there's more to it. NASL wasn't particularly run well last time around.

(I hope they change the format. No more weeks and weeks of boring group play, with too many players and too many matches. Make it a mix between invites and open bracket, hype the matches that really matter more. And get new commentators.)

I would guees that the travel is just a scapegoat reason for pulling out and the extremely long terrible schedule is probably the real reason they're pulling out.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
pieatorium said:
I would guees that the travel is just a scapegoat reason for pulling out and the extremely long terrible schedule is probably the real reason they're pulling out.
Long schedule at awkward times and getting eliminated in the finals in a quick 30mins sucks haha.

Mairu

pieatorium said:
The extremely long terrible schedule was the same in Season 1. If they didn't want to participate due to the schedule why would they play in the qualifiers?

Keikaku

If you don't want to damage your brain, don't go into the TeamLiquid thread about this. The sheer number of stupid, uninformed and sometimes racist comments are mind-boggling. Wow.

Mairu

Keikaku said:
If you don't want to damage your brain, don't go into the TeamLiquid thread about this. The sheer number of stupid, uninformed and sometimes racist comments are mind-boggling. Wow.
I've just been checking it occasionally to see if there's been a new comment by NASL :p

Keikaku

EDIT: ^^^ LOL

Mairu said:
I've just been checking it occasionally to see if there's been a new comment by NASL :p

Me too, though mostly to see if there has been any posts by FXOBoss, Mr. Chae or anyone else.

hamchan

Wow, it's gong to be interesting to see SC2con's reply to this because from NASL's story NASL did absolutely nothing wrong.

I love drama.

Keikaku

This has to be a troll reply because I can't honestly believe that a person would put credence into this "theory":
Inside Scoop: Korean teams don't like player replays getting out so they don't want their players playing in NASL. Same reason MLG didn't want to release replays after lots of koreans started playing in it cause they threatened to withdraw. Then they promised replays cause people threw a hissy fit here but still havent released any. Yea...they mad..

hamchan

Dude it's TL, half the things said on there are things I can't believe real people would say.

Anyways it's so weird to me that the Koreans would throw away easy money by not playing in the NASL. The only thing they had to pay was their time because it was pretty much all expenses paid. Pretty ludicrous and they better have a good excuse to pull out, otherwise my respect for these teams has lowered.

Tntnnbltn

hamchan said:
Anyways it's so weird to me that the Koreans would throw away easy money by not playing in the NASL. The only thing they had to pay was their time and a $250 security deposit per player because it was pretty much all expenses paid. Pretty ludicrous and they better have a good excuse to pull out, otherwise my respect for these teams has lowered.
Fixed.

Keikaku

Glad to hear this at least. Slayers isn't involved in this apparently:
NASL-TV said:
SlayerS has nothing to do with this at all. We have spoken directly with Jessica many times, and are on great terms with team SlayerS. They let us know a long time ago the issues they had with NASL and we couldn't come to an agreement with them... all is good!

Also, just in case anyone was wondering:
Xeris said:
Guys, please don't drag GOMTV into this -- they had nothing to do with this!

Dooraven

ultron87 said:
What made the 1/1/1 push come back into style so much vs Toss? It's not like it hasn't always been in the game.

Warp gate nerf. 4 gate used to demolish this but now the extra 20s allows the tank and starport to finish.

Also terrans just refined it a bit more;.

hamchan

ultron87 said:
What made the 1/1/1 push come back into style so much vs Toss? It's not like it hasn't always been in the game.
I think it stems from the Polt timing attack maybe? Someone more knowledgable than me would know.

Zzoram

SC2Con is being stupid, it only hurts players and fans.

I'm sure the players really wanted to participate in more tournaments.

The 1/1/1 is 1rax, 1fac, 1port, you make only marines, 3 tanks+siege, raven for PDD and a banshee or two, pull half your SCVs as auto-repair meat shields, then attack, rallying your production to the Protoss natural

If Protoss built a Nexus, he should lose unless the Terran fucks it up. If Protoss doesn't build a Nexus, he should lose, unleess the Terran fucks it up.

Vaporak

Dooraven said:
Warp gate nerf. 4 gate used to demolish this but now the extra 20s allows the tank and starport to finish.

This is the answer, 1/1/1 openings were really popular in the late beta and early release, but died to fast warpgate attacks. Now Terran's realized that the warpgate nerf made them a safe opening, so the only weakness that we used to know about them is now gone.

Q8D3vil

same with stim nerf. its much harder now to defend a fe.
protoss need to stop complaining and find a solution.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
nitric0 said:
anyone here do 3v3's or 2v2's? Need a partner, preferably in the diamond league
EU or US

Jeff-DSA

nitric0 said:
anyone here do 3v3's or 2v2's? Need a partner, preferably in the diamond league

edit: in the US

I'm a Platinum 2v2 player (we're currently stomping the league though), but I'm always playing with the same guy. I wouldn't mine placing with you and seeing how we mesh, however.

nitric0

Jeff-DSA said:
I'm a Platinum 2v2 player (we're currently stomping the league though), but I'm always playing with the same guy. I wouldn't mine placing with you and seeing how we mesh, however.
Sweet. I haven't played a lot of 2v2 but I'm a platinum. What race do you play? I'm mostly terran

mcrae

how do i start a terran account using the starter pack? only reason i havent off-raced is because my terran cannot compete whatsoever at the plat level. sdo i need to download the 7gb starter pack download?

I don't give a shit about NASL but if what happens is true (considering we only have 1 side of the story so far) than that was a dick move by the SC2con and $2000 should be more than enough unless this is all just an excuse for something else, but somewhat I find it easy not to find sympathy for a douchebag like Xeris, if anything it's karma in the works since I'm sure that guy fucked people over many times (recently in the last mlg)

mescalineeyes said:
he seems to be a very pleasant kind of guy, but the more and more I follow his career/stream, the more it feels fake and forced.
and I also thought the whole FXO thing was a big... well, lack of camaraderie I guess.

The more I listen to him on his stream and see some of his actions the more I agree with this.

Keikaku

mcrae said:
how do i start a terran account using the starter pack? only reason i havent off-raced is because my terran cannot compete whatsoever at the plat level. sdo i need to download the 7gb starter pack download?

Do what I did-throw a bunch of games and get yourself placed in Silver. Then work your way up :3

This NASL disaster makes foreigner teams acquiring Koreans even more of a good investment. Without the best of the best involved, guys like Puma, Rain, and Hero will be able to dominate.

Hopefully this means we see the NA scene develop faster, with so much money within reach. And I hope more of the top EU players like Dimaga can now get involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom