• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sblargh said:
Quick question. Where do you people steal your build orders from? Just experience and watching streams or do you read stuff/watch replays?
If read stuff/watch replays; where do you get them?
I use a lot of Liquipedia, although not as much as I should ;_;

Streams and commentary is another way but I don't use that as much for build orders.

cdyhybrid

Sblargh said:
Quick question. Where do you people steal your build orders from? Just experience and watching streams or do you read stuff/watch replays?
If read stuff/watch replays; where do you get them?

Liquipedia and the TL strategy forum mostly. Occasionally copying stuff down from watching GSL VODs, but I stopped doing that because I'm not good enough to do most of the builds the pros use :p

zoukka

PhoenixDark said:
Yea, dude is raking in cash without sponsors. Hopefully he gets better at LAN tournaments to prove himself to teams. As I said at TL, he's basically better than half of EG

I've seen Destiny try to play non-infestor build at tourneys.

It was a sorry sight.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Corran Horn said:
Over 3400 achievement points now ;;
I have a problem.
geeeeeez

Striek

Damn Corran. Whhhhhhhy.

And yeah, Destiny is fun to watch, but his entire gameplan in all matchups is to hope his opponent can't deal with his infestor harassment. When he gets behind early (most games it seems), he just turtles super hard until he gets infestors, lol.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Tntnnbltn said:
Did you find it two to three posts above yours?
hahaha damn man.

That achievement is... unhealthy.

I played something like 3000 1v1s over SC1's lifetime over 4-5 years of active play. 3000 1v1s is a fucking shitload.

This achievement calls for about 8000 1v1s, slightly less if you stay ahead of the matchmaking curve. Yea. GG Blizzard.

BigAT

FieryBalrog said:
That achievement is... unhealthy.

I played something like 3000 1v1s over SC1's lifetime over 4-5 years of active play. 3000 1v1s is a fucking shitload.

This achievement calls for about 8000 1v1s, slightly less if you stay ahead of the matchmaking curve. Yea. GG Blizzard.
Even for people that are "cheating" to get it, leaving games instantly to get losses and stay in bronze, the achievement is a pretty absurd time sink.

V_Arnold

That achievement is meant to be just one: an achievement. A long-term reward, not something you stupidly farm for.

Of course the concept might look alien to people with OCD.

ACE 1991

Spent the last few hours laddering (new bronze player) and won 4 out of 6 games! The sense of satisfaction and personal growth this game affords players is incredible.

MrKnives

ACE 1991 said:
Spent the last few hours laddering (new bronze player) and won 4 out of 6 games! The sense of satisfaction and personal growth this game affords players is incredible.

.... And then you have a bad day and lose 10 games in a row and you want to throw your computer out of the window.

MrKnives

Awesome Animals said:
Or you do what I do, and only play GAFfers on GAFnight. ><

I like ladder :) Thought I have to say I liked it more when I played Diamonds. It's like going back in time to Gold.
All Masters do is one base *input strategy here*
Zergs are the worst, 6-7 pools with worker spine rushes.
Maybe I'm just playing against who are going down so that's why they suck..

Rubashov

Corran Horn said:
Over 3400 achievement points now ;;
I have a problem.
I've got over 3000 points too. But my excuse is that I play at work a lot and I'm afraid to get into a 45 minute ladder game, so I played a ton of single player and AI games.

Co-op, let's go lol.

ACE 1991 said:
The matchmaking is really very good, even for team games it's not too bad, we get a lot of back and forth tight games.

Spent like 2 hours last night on skype playing 3v3 and we went 3-2 and every game was close.

Jeff-DSA

I came across a real winner in ladder last night. On Xel'naga he builds a pool first, before any additional drones. From there just goes with straight Zerglings. By the time my 11 scout SCV got into his base the pool was finished and the first Zerglings were just popping. I rushed to complete my wall, which barely worked (depot started building right when they showed up). I pulled 4 SCVs to repair, and as soon as the first Marine popped out he quit.

In chat after the match he called walling off imba. I asked him how fair it would be if he could get four Zerglings into my base before possibly getting a single Marine out. His response was to swear a lot and call my heterosexuality into question.

He did do one thing that ALMOST worked. When he was going to rush, he did try to keep his scouting drone in the way of that last depot from going down. I literally drove that drone away to make room for that depot a split second before the Zerglings arrived. I was curious how successful this tactic was, and it looks like he had won a ton of ladder games doing it based on his match history.

Jeff-DSA said:
He did do one thing that ALMOST worked. When he was going to rush, he did try to keep his scouting drone in the way of that last depot from going down. I literally drove that drone away to make room for that depot a split second before the Zerglings arrived. I was curious how successful this tactic was, and it looks like he had won a ton of ladder games doing it based on his match history.
Man, now Terran players can get some taste of how I felt all those years in SC1 getting my 12-hatch blocked by obnoxious SCV tactics =D

I don't know how successful it is at the top, it's more of a one-note trick this guy has perfected to get him to a league where he doesn't belong.

You know what SC2 ladder reminds me off, the big "evolutionary strategy" computer tournament that was held in the 70s. Some dudes just skate by doing 6 pool every game but their population is kept down by the dynamics of the ecosystem!

goober

My university is offering a course from the Honors College.

EDG4930: 21st Century Skills in Starcraft

University of Florida said:
21st Century Skills in Starcraft is an 8 week online course that uses the popular real time strategy (RTS) game StarCraft 2 to teach valuable 21st Century Skills through an experiential learning approach. With society becoming increasingly technology-based and fast-paced, it is important for professionals to be highly proficient in skills such as collaboration, critical thinking, problem solving, resource management, and adaptive decision making. These skills are fundamental in Starcraft 2 and therefore make the game a highly effective environment for students to analyze and take action in complex situations. Computer and video games of all types have become a major part of today's entertainment and technology worlds. Also, online education is an area of intense growth with many employers and professions using online courses and workshops for career development. This course synthesizes the three threads of 21st Century skill development, gaming, and online education into an innovative and experiential academic course that encourages students to identify, learn, and practice crucial skills and apply and relate them to real-world situations. It does not teach about StarCraft 2 or about how to become a better player, but rather aims to utilize the game and the complex situations that arise within it to present and develop some of the important skills professionals will undoubtedly need in the 21st Century workplace.

This course includes required weekly game play, collaborative projects, use of Web 2.0 tools, viewing and analysis of recorded matches, written assignments which emphasize analysis and synthesis of real/game-world concepts, and collaboration with other students. Due to the unique and innovative nature of this course, there are several requirements that students must meet.
Students taking this course must have access to computer (PC or Mac) and Internet resources outside of UF labs since it requires the installation and playing of a computer game. Students must also have at least basic knowledge of and experience playing StarCraft 2 and own their own copy of the game. Students must also be independent, self-motivated, and able and willing to learn in an entirely online environment. Since this course revolves so heavily on collaboration and teamwork, students must also be willing to work collaboratively with others in both the Starcraft 2 environment and in a small group project environment. There will be 2 mandatory in-person informational meetings prior to the beginning of the course. Enrollment is limited to 24.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Rubashov said:
I've got over 3000 points too. But my excuse is that I play at work a lot and I'm afraid to get into a 45 minute ladder game, so I played a ton of single player and AI games.

Co-op, let's go lol.
insane gogo.

Keikaku

Fnatic and Fenix have parted: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=258211
Fenix said:
"I want to say thanks to the team FnaticMSI for the support that they gave. To be about 18 month in FnaticMSI was a great experience. But everything has to end and this was the end for me and my team. I have projects in Korea and I will be here in for a longer time and achieve my intentions. I want to thanks to all the manager of FnaticMSI and to the players that were like family. Up to another opportunity!"

Complexity has expanded it's "partnership" with MVP: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=258210
compLexity Gaming and Team MVP are thrilled to announce the expansion of our exclusive joint partnership and the sponsorship of Team MVP by Creative Sound Blaster. Effective immediately the original partnership, announced in July of this year, will see coL.MVP include all of Team MVP's players. They will all be available for global travel and will all wear coL.MVP jerseys during Korean play. Additionally, we are very excited to announce that compLexity's title sponsor, Creative Sound Blaster, is now sponsoring Team MVP and supporting all of their endeavors in Korea.

goober said:
My university is offering a course from the Honors College.

EDG4930: 21st Century Skills in Starcraft
University of Florida? The course sounds like a hilarious "welcome to the INTERNET" deal set up by the university.

Q8D3vil

cdyhybrid said:
The build from Virus v. Genius?
the same one exactly.
the funny thing the protoss stole my gas to prevent me from going fast factory but the build is depend on early 2 rax first.
the scouting reaper is awesome too because he wasn't able to deny my scouting and see his fast expo.

Jeff-DSA

Let's play a game. Guess which match the opponent when Infestor/Brood Lord.

Infestors.jpg

Yoshichan

You rocking the ladder man, league?

Also, sour about that op Z unit composition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom