• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
This is actually huge, OGN is broadcasting this, a huge, main BW gaming channel, broadcasting SC2 for the first time.

Is this true? Glad to see that Blizzard is allowing SC2 to be hosted by other companies.

Vaporak

Pancakes said:
Is this true? Glad to see that Blizzard is allowing SC2 to be hosted by other companies.

From what I understand the situation as, GOM has the broadcast rights for SC2 in Korea so OGN must have made a deal with GOM to broadcast WCG.

mackaveli

So I played this guy PvP and I learnt a new build from him.

I haven't seen it done before (I'm high level Platinum should be promoted to Diamond hopefully)

My PvP matchup's I'm usually going 3 gate to Robo and get sentries to forcefield the ramp to play defense. I never like playing the aggressor in PvP.

Well, when I was playing this guy I thought I would do a poke with my stalker/sentry army with some zealots and he countered within the first 8 minutes with 2 immortals zealots and some stalkers.

Obviously my army was crushed.

Anyways, the build order is pretty much going Robo right after the Core and then pumping two immortals as fast possible.

I have no idea how good this build is but against my last 4 protoss opponents I have done this build and working on the timing and have crushed my opponent very easily. May not work against the best players but for now in Platinum it does wonders.

I go 13 gate most cases then gas on 15 and then core on 16/17.

I do not take a 2nd gas until the first immortal is done. Also I constantly pump zealots from the gateway. I get 3 zealots and then 1 stalker and warp gate then should finish around that time.

During the robo production I either throw down 1 or 2 gates depending on money and what not.

You should have enough money to drop down 2 extra gates and then produce 2 immortals with constant production still. After the 2nd immortal I produce an observer.

How I currently play the build.

1. If you get a 2nd gas early and only want to do 1 immortal you could get a sentry to help force field the wrap. However, by the time warp gate finishes you should have 3 zealots 1 stalker and an immortal. You should be able to hold off any early attack with the zealots taking the bulk of the damage and with your immortal easily killing of stalkers.

And your 3 warp gate should finish to be able to produce units and then your 2nd immortal pops out.

Now if you defend successfully he should be on the retreat. Once this occurs I go on the attack with my army and throw down a proxy pylon and then bring my observer to get the high ground sight to pick off his army if he force fields the ramp. You can easily hold the ramp and take a safe expansion.

Keep poking with the Observer to try and snipe any stalkers or any units on the high ground.

I then either transition into Collossus or get a warp prism and drop some zealots on the mineral line to screw with his economy.

You should then get an advantage economy wise and then win.

I have no idea if this build is really that good or not but I've tried it and so far it has worked.

Also if the opponent goes 3 gate -> 1 Robo, you should have 2 immortals to his one and can still contain him to one base while you expand and go colossus or whatever tech route you want.

Also - its important to kill the scouting probe before you drop the robo, it is hard with just a zealot so that could be a problem with the build for the higher leagues. But once the core is done he will think you are producing a stalker so will probably leave your base and then you can throw down the Robo.

Also, with him scouting you on one gas he will think it's possibly a 4 warp gate and will go stalkers and his own 4 warp gate to counter and with your immortals should easily win the fight.

If he does go one gas you could go immortal>observer>immortal just in case its a DT rush or something.

Comments / Criticisms on the build?

Holden

Q8D3vil said:
you get my point then.

if we want to see the real difference we need replays from top 5 players of each race and compare them together.

zerg should always have a higher APM, they always have more stuff to do and cheaper units therefore more macro.

Q8D3vil

Hugoboss21 said:
zerg should always have a higher APM, they always have more stuff to do and cheaper units therefore more macro.
it depend on the players play style (like MMA/hero/drg style is extremely apm intensive because of multitasking).

but i agree that the core mechanic of the zerg require more apm.

fanboi

Banned
Q8D3vil said:
it depend on the players play style (like MMA/hero/drg style is extremely apm intensive because of multitasking).

but i agree that the core mechanic of the zerg require more apm.

That beggs the question, does this requirement make zerg harder to play but with more reward if succesful?

Q8D3vil

fanboi said:
That beggs the question, does this requirement make zerg harder to play but with more reward if succesful?
i think it depend on the style, mutaling style seems to require good multitask and high apm where infestor builds are the opposite.

MrKnives

Q8D3vil said:
i think it depend on the style, mutaling style seems to require good multitask and high apm where infestor builds are the opposite.

Marine tank/Drops = High APM
MutaLingBling = High APM

Infestor = Not so much
Mech = ZzzZzZz

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Eh no power but they could get the teams together as a whole to do something. While they decline any involvement with the NASL situation...I would guess they probably did.

MrKnives

Corran Horn said:
Eh no power but they could get the teams together as a whole to do something. While they decline any involvement with the NASL situation...I would guess they probably did.

What did they actually do for the Korean scene? Nothing.
When one windows closes another one opens. Maybe something new will be created that will be more helpful.

If I remember correctly the SC2Con isn't even the SC2 Player Association they have. The one where are all the teams.
SC2Con had pretty much nothing.

Edit: Some of the Whitera shirt contest shirts are pretty good

Zen

Banned
Holy hell I've been getting Bm'd by every Protoss player, tonight, with the exception of one. In fact it doesn't even matter if I win or lose, it's just insane, like Zerg qq on steroids without the little man complex.

You: Blink stalker contain is only good/great if they're confirmed 111
Slick has reconnected.
You: gl hf in your future matches
Slick: dont play an op race bro
then act like u know the game
there is no way to confirm it
You: I'd also suggest 3 gate void
Slick: i cant throw down a scan
You: dude
seriously
Slick: i can mulke
i cant lift buildings
you are like agold player a move win, and because u play terran ur diamond
go !@#$ off
3 ghate void? marines are free for you
You: you know what man
The player is ignoring you.
You: honestly
Slick has disconnected.

Aeris: I just countered your build bro
Aeris has reconnected.
You: ?

Parkis: LOL
Parkis has reconnected.
Parkis: funny terrans
Why so salty man?
Parkis: salty?
Parkis has reconnected.
Parkis: cuz u play op race called terran
You: dude...
come on

oooooooooooo: its funny,
oooooooooooo has reconnected.
oooooooooooo: so many ts have obviously poorer control
yet the race allows a buffer
You: I'll remmeber that when I'm playing zerg
oooooooooooo: have fun when the other races get more units
and you can no longer a move
oooooooooooo: you might even have to micro a bit
You: why so sa;lty man?
oooooooooooo is not online.

I'll remember that I'm not suppose to have micro the next time I'm splitting marines against speed banes.

Xeres: NOOB <he went on to do this and other insults for a while>
This player is ignoring you.

And about 2 others that I don't have the chat open for anymore.

red731

Nice, I really like the campaign. Going on casual on my own pace finishing all the first objectives everytime.
Who would of thought that I would like RTS game..

MrKnives

Q8D3vil said:
i love rts and i though the campaign was meh.
maybe you should try company of heroes after finishing sc2.

dimaga streaming if anyone is interested
http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/mTwDIMAGA

Probably my favorite Zerg stream. I love how he always explains everything he does. Talked about the patch a little a while ago.

I liked the campaign. I thought the mission were very nice, the story not so nice. So Red731 just take your time and play it through and join us in MP when you're ready :)

Aylinato

mackaveli said:
So I played this guy PvP and I learnt a new build from him.

I haven't seen it done before (I'm high level Platinum should be promoted to Diamond hopefully)

My PvP matchup's I'm usually going 3 gate to Robo and get sentries to forcefield the ramp to play defense. I never like playing the aggressor in PvP.

Well, when I was playing this guy I thought I would do a poke with my stalker/sentry army with some zealots and he countered within the first 8 minutes with 2 immortals zealots and some stalkers.

Obviously my army was crushed.

Anyways, the build order is pretty much going Robo right after the Core and then pumping two immortals as fast possible.

I have no idea how good this build is but against my last 4 protoss opponents I have done this build and working on the timing and have crushed my opponent very easily. May not work against the best players but for now in Platinum it does wonders.

I go 13 gate most cases then gas on 15 and then core on 16/17.

I do not take a 2nd gas until the first immortal is done. Also I constantly pump zealots from the gateway. I get 3 zealots and then 1 stalker and warp gate then should finish around that time.

During the robo production I either throw down 1 or 2 gates depending on money and what not.

You should have enough money to drop down 2 extra gates and then produce 2 immortals with constant production still. After the 2nd immortal I produce an observer.

How I currently play the build.

1. If you get a 2nd gas early and only want to do 1 immortal you could get a sentry to help force field the wrap. However, by the time warp gate finishes you should have 3 zealots 1 stalker and an immortal. You should be able to hold off any early attack with the zealots taking the bulk of the damage and with your immortal easily killing of stalkers.

And your 3 warp gate should finish to be able to produce units and then your 2nd immortal pops out.

Now if you defend successfully he should be on the retreat. Once this occurs I go on the attack with my army and throw down a proxy pylon and then bring my observer to get the high ground sight to pick off his army if he force fields the ramp. You can easily hold the ramp and take a safe expansion.

Keep poking with the Observer to try and snipe any stalkers or any units on the high ground.

I then either transition into Collossus or get a warp prism and drop some zealots on the mineral line to screw with his economy.

You should then get an advantage economy wise and then win.

I have no idea if this build is really that good or not but I've tried it and so far it has worked.

Also if the opponent goes 3 gate -> 1 Robo, you should have 2 immortals to his one and can still contain him to one base while you expand and go colossus or whatever tech route you want.

Also - its important to kill the scouting probe before you drop the robo, it is hard with just a zealot so that could be a problem with the build for the higher leagues. But once the core is done he will think you are producing a stalker so will probably leave your base and then you can throw down the Robo.

Also, with him scouting you on one gas he will think it's possibly a 4 warp gate and will go stalkers and his own 4 warp gate to counter and with your immortals should easily win the fight.

If he does go one gas you could go immortal>observer>immortal just in case its a DT rush or something.

Comments / Criticisms on the build?
His build is countered by pushing him, going robo after cyber takes a ton of minerals/getting 2 immortals is even more. You just needed to FF the immortals back and separate their zealots to effectively cut their army in two

nilbog21

Banned
hey does anyone kno any good TvT builds against terrans that mech/fastexpand? looking for a good build for marauder/marine medivac harass drops n such

Zzoram

Q8D3vil said:
i love rts and i though the campaign was meh.
maybe you should try company of heroes after finishing sc2.

dimaga streaming if anyone is interested
http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/mTwDIMAGA

You're kidding right? Company of Heroes has a boring and forgettable RTS campaign. I couldn't remember the name of any character or the goals of any mission when I finished the game. I only remember the missions blending together because they were too similar.

Q8D3vil

Zzoram said:
You're kidding right? Company of Heroes has a boring and forgettable RTS campaign. I couldn't remember the name of any character or the goals of any mission when I finished the game. I only remember the missions blending together because they were too similar.
fuck the story, i meant the gameplay and variety.
i still remember a lot of the missions. better than t he garbage "time" missions in sc2.

but its not like starcraft 2 have an amazing story. everyone is saying that it was crap compared to bw.

Zzoram

Q8D3vil said:
fuck the story, i meant the gameplay and variety.
i still remember a lot of the missions. better than t he garbage "time" missions in sc2.

but its not like starcraft 2 have an amazing story. everyone is saying that it was crap compared to bw.

Yes SC2's story was crap compared to Broodwar, but I'll end up remembering it regardless.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
from last night:
7oJU5.jpg

hz0Eo.jpg

corran, your build lives!

150 vs 200 food? EZ for ultras.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Q8D3vil said:
~5 minerals and no broodlords ?
broodlords are gas expensive, also: look at the clock. :\ 19minute broods in a zvz is almost as crazy as corrans build.

the mineral surplus is a consequence of aggressive zerg builds in a passive game, he expected lots of roach trading that didn't happen and had tuned his economy for that. when he ended up teching off a contain the minerals shoot up. its not uncommon.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Dooraven said:
You went ultra roach off two bases? And it worked pretty well? Interesting, what's the BO?
it was more like 'shit his third and lair are way faster than mine, ill get ultras to counter roach/fester'

I don't believe in build orders as zerg.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Dooraven said:
lol, and yeah since zerg is the reactionary race, Build orders aren't that useful once you get past early game.
i tried it on the ladder yesterday too.

won a couple big fights and then basetraded vs a broodlord army to win the game. that was 3 base on tal-darim tho. it seems a lot of zergs are skipping the +1 roach for their pushes so im having a lot of defensive success i really shouldn't have.

Holden

*checks GCPL games, sees mana vs sheth 200 vs 200, see's only has 1 control groupe for their army for both players* nice game blizzard;;;

ksan

Q8D3vil said:
~5 minerals and no broodlords ?
there might have been some external factors contributing to my excellent macro in that game t_t
Pandaman said:
broodlords are gas expensive, also: look at the clock. :\ 19minute broods in a zvz is almost as crazy as corrans build.

the mineral surplus is a consequence of aggressive zerg builds in a passive game, he expected lots of roach trading that didn't happen and had tuned his economy for that. when he ended up teching off a contain the minerals shoot up. its not uncommon.
that's awfully nice of you to say, haha :D

fanboi

Banned
Q8D3vil said:
lol, ultra always been great but people needed "something" to push them in order for them to use it.

in zvz I wouldn't agree, unless you are ahead eco wise and can afford it much quicker then your op can get bl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom