• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Pandaman said:
im just loling because it wont make it into the game.

you know it wont.

its not even a starcraft style unit. there's no tweaking to be done, its just going to not be there come beta. take a note.
you do realize what starcraft has become? its a perfect sc2 unit!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Corran Horn said:
Beta feels weird for me. Like will pro's play it for preparing for the new tournaments or will they remain focus on WoL? :p
i bet pros stick to wol for most of the beta and dont switch until the last 2 months or so.

destiny will be all beta all the time ofcourse.

V_Arnold

ultron87 said:
It's not like Blizzard would listen to the pros for balance if they did play.

I sometimes wonder whether you intentionally want Blizz to mess things up so you can whine about it. You should think about that ;)

MrKnives

Depends on the tournaments really. If tournaments are WoL they will play that until they switch but of course the sooner you switch the better. Then again the balance will be shit and it's like playing a new game every other week so I agree with Panda.
Probably close to the release we will see some HotS in action.

ultron87

V_Arnold said:
I sometimes wonder whether you intentionally want Blizz to mess things up so you can whine about it. You should think about that ;)

Wait, what? Me?

Hasn't Blizzard pretty much directly said that they don't really listen?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Watched the Dustin Browder interview, seems super biased on LAN.

To me it sounds like they could just setup or emulate a B.Net server at a tournament.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Hazaro said:
Watched the Dustin Browder interview, seems super biased on LAN.

To me it sounds like they could just setup or emulate a B.Net server at a tournament.
lol in that interview he names the shredder and replicant as units that could be disappeared.

V_Arnold

ultron87 said:
Wait, what? Me?

Actually no, they just said that they are expecting more pro feedback from HOTS beta. Hence my comment :p

a176

Banned
Snow said:
I hope shredders stay in. I'm not really paying attention to specific stats (damage, range, deploy time) for any new unit really, since 100% of that will probably change between now and beta, at which point most things will probably change again. But the idea of having more map control units that can just lock down a space, changing up the decisions around where to commit with how much for both offense and defense, seems really neat.

Day[9] likes to talk about those mechanics whenever people ask him what type of units he would like to see added to SC2 and this sounds kind of like that. I think (once balanced) gameplay implications of the shredder for army placement on the map in general and tactically with friendly units moving in or out of range could be really cool.

so wtf do siege tanks do
oh right, they dont instagib like shredders do

MrKnives

Well that went well. I wanted to play my placements but can't with this cast so decided to use my mouse hand only. Ended up playing 4 games and got 4 times brutally slammed.

Fuck.

By the time I can play HotS will be out already :f

Snow

ultron87 said:
Wait, what? Me?

Pretty sure they have always said pro feedback and tournament stats are the most important thing they pay attention to, then top level ladder stats, then general ladder stats, then community feedback on forums. Pretty sure a ton of pros in both the Korean and foreigner scene talk to David Kim fairly regularly over battle.net and e-mail. Some preliminary patch notes before they went live in fact were leaked via such communications iirc.

And having watched some of the interviews and panels from this year's blizzcon with people like Browder and Kim, I come away with the same feeling as I had after last year's blizzcon. That these are some really cogent and on-the-ball sounding people that can be very articulate about the design and balance process in general and specific decisions made in particular. I wish they would be a bit more visible in the rest of the year for the community, since when they do speak it tends to be fairly elucidating.

zargle

MrKnives said:
Well that went well. I wanted to play my placements but can't with this cast so decided to use my mouse hand only. Ended up playing 4 games and got 4 times brutally slammed.

Fuck.

Maybe I missed it, but what did you do to your hand?

zoukka

MrKnives said:

Fuck.

So who did you piss off to get your hand broken?

MrKnives

Normal accident, not rage :p Shouldn't be playing with dangerous machinery.
Luckely it's not completely broken, just hairline fractures (I think that's the right term?) But I still have a cast on it because I'm not allowed to move my hand/wrist for several weeks.
Doesnt hurt much anyomre, except when I hit my hand into something. Luckely I have a small pharmacy at home now so I'll be fine.

heyf00L

MrKnives said:
Normal accident, not rage :p Shouldn't be playing with dangerous machinery.
Luckely it's not completely broken, just hairline fractures (I think that's the right term?) But I still have a cast on it because I'm not allowed to move my hand/wrist for several weeks.
Doesnt hurt much anyomre, except when I hit my hand into something. Luckely I have a small pharmacy at home now so I'll be fine.
And you can't move your fingers?

Snow

a176 said:
so wtf do siege tanks do
oh right, they dont instagib like shredders do
Yeah, I guess it might overlap with the siege tank as a Terran AoE unit. I don't think you'd want to position siege tanks in quite the same way you would these things. Also, you can place other units next to tanks, which you can't while these are active. If I'd have to guess, I think the design mandate for the unit is to get something that can lock down an area defensively for less resource investment than tanks, but is much less viable as part of a pushing army than a tank. And part of their push to pull food out of the 'balls' that seem prevalent in SC2 (vs. BW). We'll see I guess.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Snow said:
Yeah, I guess it might overlap with the siege tank as a Terran AoE unit. I don't think you'd want to position siege tanks in quite the same way you would these things. Also, you can place other units next to tanks, which you can't while these are active. If I'd have to guess, I think the design mandate for the unit is to get something that can lock down an area defensively for less resource investment than tanks, but is much less viable as part of a pushing army than a tank. And part of their push to pull food out of the 'balls' that seem prevalent in SC2 (vs. BW). We'll see I guess.
unless you're the other guy, then shredders push food into the ball because multiple location harass is heavily nerfed.

MrKnives

heyf00L said:
And you can't move your fingers?

I can move them, that's not the thing.
Problem is that this cast keeps my hand in one position and my fingers just don't bend down enough to touch the keys. I also have to put the cast on my keyboard so when I try to press something or move my hand it randomly presses buttons.

Deadman

1.4.2 PTR

Balance

PROTOSS

Forge

The cost of Upgrade Shields Level 1 has been decreased to 150/150, down from 200/200.

The cost of Upgrade Shields Level 2 has been decreased to 225/225, down from 300/300.

The cost of Upgrade Shields Level 3 has been decreased to 300/300, down from 400/400.

The cost of Upgrade Ground Weapons Level 2 has been decreased to 150/150, down from 175/175.

The cost of Upgrade Ground Weapons Level 3 has been decreased to 200/200, down from 250/250.

The cost of Upgrade Ground Armor Level 2 has been decreased to 150/150, down from 175/175.

The cost of Upgrade Ground Armor Level 3 has been decreased to 200/200, down from 250/250.

TERRAN

Ghost

EMP radius has been decreased from 2 to 1.5

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/1213111662

a176

Banned
Deadman said:
1.4.2 PTR

Balance

PROTOSS

Forge

The cost of Upgrade Shields Level 1 has been decreased to 150/150, down from 200/200.

The cost of Upgrade Shields Level 2 has been decreased to 225/225, down from 300/300.

The cost of Upgrade Shields Level 3 has been decreased to 300/300, down from 400/400.

The cost of Upgrade Ground Weapons Level 2 has been decreased to 150/150, down from 175/175.

The cost of Upgrade Ground Weapons Level 3 has been decreased to 200/200, down from 250/250.

The cost of Upgrade Ground Armor Level 2 has been decreased to 150/150, down from 175/175.

The cost of Upgrade Ground Armor Level 3 has been decreased to 200/200, down from 250/250.

TERRAN

Ghost

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/1213111662

i dont even know what to say

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Terran gets a stationary unit that can only attack into a set radius, it's imba.

Zerg get a unit that can attack constantly for free and replenish after death. No worries.

a176

Banned
HolyCheck said:
Terran gets a stationary unit that can only attack into a set radius, it's imba.

Zerg get a unit that can attack constantly for free and replenish after death. No worries.

i dont even know what to say

Made it to diamond finally!
freddie.png

Yeah. I'm pretty much pro now.

Snow

Pandaman said:
unless you're the other guy, then shredders push food into the ball because multiple location harass is heavily nerfed.
Yeah, I guess that could be the consequence, depending on exactly how much it takes to take on a shredder line. At the same time it weakens the main army of the terran if they give the thing a decent food cost (can't find what it was at blizzcon, 2 seems reasonable) and might make an engagement with a partial army more viable while another part tries to find a hole in the defense of that terran. This all based on pretty limited information though plus I'm a pretty low level (high plat - low diamond before I stopped laddering months ago) and probably clueless.

a176

Banned
Snow said:
Yeah, I guess that could be the consequence, depending on exactly how much it takes to take on a shredder line. At the same time it weakens the main army of the terran if they give the thing a decent food cost (can't find what it was at blizzcon, 2 seems reasonable) and might make an engagement with a partial army more viable while another part tries to find a hole in the defense of that terran. This all based on pretty limited information though plus I'm a pretty low level (high plat - low diamond before I stopped laddering months ago) and probably clueless.

so terran army

siege tank that projects aoe over 9 range
shredder that projects aoe over itself
warhounds that do antiair aoe
hellion that gets hp buff and flame aoe

what am i missing

Deadman

You might (and i did) think "does emp radius from 2 to 1.5 really mean that much?"

The area an emp covers just got reduced by 44%.

Snow

a176 said:
so terran army

siege tank that projects aoe over 9 range
shredder that projects aoe over itself
warhounds that do antiair aoe
hellion that gets hp buff and flame aoe

what am i missing
I dunno. Are you making a "this will be unbalanced" point or a "this won't lead to new gameplay" point?

a176

Banned
Snow said:
I dunno. Are you making a "this will be unbalanced" point or a "this won't lead to new gameplay" point?

no, im just trolling

Deadman said:
You might (and i did) think "does emp radius from 2 to 1.5 really mean that much?"

The area an emp covers just got reduced by 44%.

but EMPing archons and sentries changes in what way?

Deadman

a176 said:
no, im just trolling

but EMPing archons and sentries changes in what way?

In theory it should take more emps or better targetting to get them all. They probably wont be able to spam them over the entire army knowing they will hit what they want.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Terran just 2-1-2 me. All throughout the game I thought he must have a base hidden somewhere and scouted everything...but in the end he was just bad...lol

cdyhybrid

Corran Horn said:
Terran just 2-1-2 me. All throughout the game I thought he must have a base hidden somewhere and scouted everything...but in the end he was just bad...lol

Why expand when you have MULEs?

RE: patch notes - does this mean Blizzard wants us to play Protoss?

Hopefully i don't get demoted to plat, i have been winning less than 50% as toss but i haven't faced anyone below diamond.

a176 said:
metal, temple, xnc holy fuck get some new maps already

I don't really get this. In general if i like a map i don't really get bored of it. I would like to see some map rotations but i hope the maps i like manage to keep coming back in the future.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Deadman said:
TERRAN

Ghost

Oh fuck off Blizzard.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Snow said:
yeah ive always felt that if a terran had two less marines in his marine tank push, it would be much better.

Back in diamond but lost to a terran. Marine/maruader/scv all in. The worst part is i let him stim up my ramp when i had plenty of sentries, kinda sucks losing to players who will try that sort of thing. I was just getting out collosus too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom