• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Mairu said:
This is really interesting to listen to. It'd be amazing if they could've got Coach Lee on the show and Milkis translating back and forth to him :O
I would just find it funny to hear EG if idra was stolen from them lol.

Corran Horn

Many players have left teams while still on contracts. Thats why he is calling it being bought out. They buy out the contract from the escape clause.

Mairu

Corran Horn said:
Many players have left teams while still on contracts. Thats why he is calling it being bought out. They buy out the contract from the escape clause.
But Puma wasn't on a contract and had no salary.

Corran Horn

Mairu said:
But Puma wasn't on a contract and had no salary.
He was on an establish team. Im just saying a contract means nothing when there is no overseeing body to force regulations and other companies with money can just spend the $ to get him out of it.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Corran Horn said:
He was on an establish team. Im just saying a contract means nothing when there is no overseeing body to force regulations and other companies with money can just spend the $ to get him out of it.

Contracts can be legally binding, no?

Holden

welp, i got cheesed by the most broken build by terran on shortmaps. Why did i pick protoss when i know terran can do that :(

I think EG is slizzy and shady as fuck and I don't want them to succeed after what I've seen from them ever since I knew what EG was but this all falls on TSL, and other korean teams, that don't have their $50k winning players under contract.

I wouldn't be surprised tbh if both MVP and NesTea are still not under a real contract.

Mairu

Any action SC2PA or the teams take in reaction to the TSL stuff is only going to be worse for Korean players, this is the only thing that makes me sad about this whole overreaction & drama :(

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i dont understand why people are even looking to protect these teams. if you cant contract your player to a reasonably competitive level with a professional organization, then why should you have control over the player?

why are we putting the health of a team over the player?

If IM cant contract nestea competitively, why should IM have nestea?

HolyCheck

Pandaman said:
i dont understand why people are even looking to protect these teams. if you cant contract your player to a reasonably competitive level with a professional organization, then why should you have control over the player?

why are we putting the health of a team over the player?

If IM cant contract nestea competitively, why should IM have nestea?

Exactly, it's ok for a NeoGAF league, it's not ok for players playing in the GSL. these teams should have had some kind of protection set up, not just "kk u live here and play lots"

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Corran Horn said:
Weapon of choice to start soon
http://www.justin.tv/onemoregametv?
discussion of EG with EG dude

Damn, the stream is still running. I was hoping to catch a VOD.

On the topic of Puma, I think it's ridiculous that people are giving him shit for leaving TSL. Team loyalty is one thing but TSL was literally falling apart what with FD and Trickster leaving. I don't like that foreign teams are literally buying out the Koreans. However if it means that the Koreans can actually earn a salary (proportional to their skill level), I'm all for it.

Also, ponies.

uWbZG.jpg

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Pandaman said:
why dont you like foreign teams buying out koreans?

Because I'm worried about the future of foreign players. Why bother sending player X to Korea so that he can improve and maybe win something, when you could just buy out an already successful Korean player?

I know I"m being paranoid, but it's a worrying thought.

clav

Destiny is having an argument with some stranger on his stream talking about some new female player (Slayers_Eve) that Slayers team accepted. They're arguing in regards to the sexism that exists behind that decision.

Stranger says the message is to promote Starcraft II in the eyes for female gamers.

Destiny argues that taking a female scrub and putting her in the spotlight is an insult to the SC2 pro community. Just because she's female and wants to play doesn't automatically make her an acceptable candidate.

This is the topic under heated discussion: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=246175

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Pankaks said:
Because I'm worried about the future of foreign players. Why bother sending player X to Korea so that he can improve and maybe win something, when you could just buy out an already successful Korean player?

if you buy top koreans and bring them to the foreign scene, you dont have to send people to korea.

Mairu said:
Any action SC2PA or the teams take in reaction to the TSL stuff is only going to be worse for Korean players, this is the only thing that makes me sad about this whole overreaction & drama :(
Having teams getting their shit together by contracting and paying salaries to their players (like a professional) over the current honor system they have going is gonna make things worse ?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
TheThunder said:
Having teams getting their shit together by contracting and paying salaries to their players (like a professional) over the current honor system they have going is gonna make things worse ?
if it is insular yes. korea cant compete with the world financially and any players organization that keeps players in korea will hurt them financially.

Corran Horn

Pandaman said:
if it is insular yes. korea cant compete with the world financially and any players organization that keeps players in korea will hurt them financially.
It can, but BW needs to die/gsl exclusive contract needs to end for that advertising dollars to transfer

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Corran Horn said:
It can, but BW needs to die/gsl exclusive contract needs to end for that advertising dollars to transfer
it can't.

the brood war foreign/korea financial relationship cant be compared to star2.

Mairu

TheThunder said:
Nothing wrong with actually having contracts and salaries but considering the view of the Korean sc2 team currently it doesn't sound like they can support salaries competitive enough internationally. I'm more worried about them putting in clauses or parts that discourage Korean players from competing abroad and being able to acquire more lucrative deals for their play.

Pancakes

Pandaman said:
if you buy top koreans and bring them to the foreign scene, you dont have to send people to korea.

But what if the foreign teammates of said bought Korean can't keep up? Would it be reasonable to drop those players and just pick up more Koreans?

HolyCheck

Pankaks said:
But what if the foreign teammates of said bought Korean can't keep up? Would it be reasonable to drop those players and just pick up more Koreans?

You're making a business, you want the best possible players. so Yes.

You start up a company and have a crappy accountant, but a better one presents itself, do you ditch the old one if you have no emotional ties ? yes.

Pandaman said:
I doubt it would be anything insular but I wouldn't put it past them.

However, anything is better than the current amateur setup they got going right now.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Pankaks said:
yes. if you could find 200 koreans who are heads and tails about everyone else and introduce them to the various foreign scenes, their presence in those scenes would raise competitiveness to grow the skill of foreign players.

that said, there are not 200 players heads and tails above everyone else.

Pancakes

Pandaman said:
yes. if you could find 200 koreans who are heads and tails about everyone else and introduce them to the various foreign scenes, their presence in those scenes would raise competitiveness to grow the skill of foreign players.

that said, there are not 200 players heads and tails above everyone else.

Point taken.

Pankaks said:

But on the flip side, foreign teams will benefit from having top quality Koreans to practice with. I think it could be a nice trade off. I listened to a bit of the new SOTG and the FXO guy was mentioning they plan on having the foreign players increase their practice times. One of the biggest things that separates foreigners from Koreans is the rather poor practice schedules. Many are living more than comfortable enough to practice as much as Koreans, but the drive just isn't there.

I like the idea of Puma coming to the EG team house for a month or two and practicing with Idra and the other players. It will definitely make them better

There was bound to be cultural business clashing like this as the SC2's foreign scene exploded. No way the old Korean BW model was going to cultivate in SC2 the way they expected to, on their terms.

HolyCheck

Corran Horn said:
Guys never translate anything ever, cuz now your a journalist!

if you're going to translate an opinion and add your own, probably not bad consulting the sources considering the news was korean only at that point.

Corran Horn

Didnt Tyler get mad at EG for not posting Liquids side of the story on the EG master cups and EG said its not their job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom