• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
cdyhybrid said:
The big tournament coming up is going to be the first big public reveal.
Oh... but these people will have trained the game right?

cdyhybrid

Yoshichan said:
Oh... but these people will have trained the game right?

It's going to be a bunch of pro DOTA1 teams, and as far as I know the game is pretty much the same. Unsure if they'll be experienced with DOTA2, though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ok, kinda hyped for it. KINDA.

hamchan

cdyhybrid said:
It's going to be a bunch of pro DOTA1 teams, and as far as I know the game is pretty much the same. Unsure if they'll be experienced with DOTA2, though.
They've supposedly had some time with it so it's not really "e-sports lottery" like the guys on SOTG were saying.

Q8D3vil

cdyhybrid said:
The big tournament coming up is going to be the first big public reveal.
yeah, i think the big tournament is a dumb move by valve.
they should release a beta or something to balance the game then make a 1 million dollar tournament.

cdyhybrid

Q8D3vil said:
they should release a beta or something to balance the game then make a 1 million dollar tournament.

Certainly wouldn't mind a beta but I have faith in Valve. Until they kill off one of their franchises by making it into an MMO, that is.

Q8D3vil

cdyhybrid said:
Certainly wouldn't mind a beta but I have faith in Valve. Until they kill off one of their franchises by making it into an MMO, that is.
like blizzard turning wc3 into mmo ?

i fucking hate mmo, silly silly games.

hamchan

Q8D3vil said:

It's actually a very smart move by Valve with the amount of publicity it will attract and isn't really that much in terms of marketing dollars either.

fanboi

Banned
hamchan said:
It's actually a very smart move by Valve with the amount of publicity it will attract and isn't really that much in terms of marketing dollars either.

Stop using logic in this thread.

We are way past that.

Striek

I don't 'get' DOTA style games :(

That SC2 custom one that y'all like is realllllly boring. Thats the only one I've played though.

LoL's pretty fun to play. As a genre, they're fundamentally horrible to watch, though, the LoL championship's spectator numbers notwithstanding.

MrKnives

Striek said:
I don't 'get' DOTA style games :(

That SC2 custom one that y'all like is realllllly boring. Thats the only one I've played though.

That's because all of SC2 custom "dota's" are pretty terrible.
I didn't get into LoL or HoN either though. Dota was fun to play with friends.

nilbog21

Banned
CVoie.png

EDIT: oops wrong thread

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Q8D3vil said:
They don't need to balance the game in the way you would for any other game, it's pretty much a port of DotA. It's not dumb at all it'll get loads of attention and shows that Valve are serious about making the game huge, more than Blizzard have ever done.

MrKnives

Ikuu said:
They don't need to balance the game in the way you would for any other game, it's pretty much a port of DotA. It's not dumb at all it'll get loads of attention and shows that Valve are serious about making the game huge, more than Blizzard have ever done.

Throwing a million dollar tournament speaks more for the shockvalue they want from it. Not that they want it to have a big community following.
It's just marketing, good type of marketing but nothing to do with making it bigger long term.

Dota 2 isn't the first game that have tried to make it a big esports title by throwing money at it. It will either happen or it won't but it will depend on the game. Not how much money they throw at the tournaments.

V_Arnold

I am not sure what you mean Ikuu.

If it is a comparison between what Blizz did with SCII or what it did not?
Because then, Blizzard does not strike me as a company that tries to just throw money at a problem to solve it. They are obviously aiming at creating the game first, and if it is good enough, it will become an e-sport (which has already happened with SCII already), if not, then throwing 1 million at it wont help it anyway.

To put that thing into perspective: GOM spends something like 150-200k monthly for prizes. And that is just one stuff, not to mention all the foreign series too. There is already more money in prizes in one quarter for SCII than that money Valve just prepared. It is still nice though, just not "gamechanger". It wont make Blizzard starting to throw money out just cause they can do it.

And if you mean DOTA under Blizzard vs DOTA2 under Valve, well. Different times, different audience. But Valve did not create DOTA. Blizzard made the framework possible, DOTA developers did DOTA, Valve just got in cause they want their marketshare in this huge market. That is it.

And I still love Valve, and own every game from them except for Portal 2.

Ikuu

Blizzard are happy to just stand by and hoped that SC2 became what it has, nothing they've done has been done with the interest of making it an eSport. We're talking about a game that doesn't let you play cross region without purchasing extra copies, and doesn't even support LAN.

Yoshichan

MrKnives

Ikuu said:
Blizzard are happy to just stand by and hoped that SC2 became what it has, nothing they've done has been done with the interest of making it an eSport. We're talking about a game that doesn't let you play cross region without purchasing extra copies, and doesn't even support LAN.

That's just wrong.
Things they left out is not in the best interest for making it a eSports title. Their patching, GOM business, their upcoming invitationals etc are all very much for making it a eSports.
Though I'm not denying that not having LAN, cross regional play or that when we do play cross region we have huge latency is completely ridiculous.

Edit: We are ruining esports :(

V_Arnold

Ikuu said:

Dude. Seriously, now :)
They only you know... developed...the game that was able to gain an INSANE following all around the world in such a short time. So much for ruining e-sports. And LAN support? HON, hm?

Ikuu said:
You mean patching in the middle of major tournaments?

How dare they :D
Faster patching >>> ONE tournament's result in a young, volatile game's life.

Haunted

1 million dollars is pretty big. That's 70% of GSL's yearly prize pool budget (1.4 million) for a single tournament.

Question is how sustained the tournament scene will be.

Everyone talked about LoL's big prize pool and stream numbers at Dreamhack, but I haven't heard shit about any major (or minor, but I don't follow the scene enough to know about those anyway) tournaments since then.

Ikuu

LoL isn't much of a competitive game really, they don't even allow people to pause the game, so if someone disconnects then it's 4v5 until they come back.

hamchan

Haunted said:
1 million dollars is pretty big. That's 70% of GSL's yearly prize pool budget (1.4 million) for a single tournament.

Every talked about LoL's big prize pool and stream numbers at Dreamhack, but I haven't heard shit about any major (or minor, but I don't follow the scene enough to know about those anyway) tournaments since then.

LoL is going to be at MLG Raleigh.

Mairu

Haunted said:

Everyone talked about LoL's big prize pool and stream numbers at Dreamhack, but I haven't heard shit about any major (or minor, but I don't follow the scene enough to know about those anyway) tournaments since then.
WCG? IEM? LoL is at like every major international multi-game tournament.

ksan

Some of you forget that DotA is actually a good game compared to the clones.

and ye, it has a lot more players

I don't think HoN and LoL are bad games, they're just not even close to the hero design of DotA, and that leads to a much worse game competitively

Man, I don't get internet until Thursday at my new place.

What are the main differences between HoN and LoL? Why is LoL the spectator sport? I was going to try LoL, but it doesn't have Mac support. HoN does. Is it worth checking out HoN if I plan on playing DotA 2?

So SotG was good? A huge part of me was hoping iNcontroL ruined what they had going, but I knew it wasn't going to happen. Artosis is still going to be a regular though? I, for the most part, felt the few we had post iNcontroL were as entertaining as the ones before. I like listening to Artosis discuss the game. And, they need at least one Terran on there. I'll be forced to hold off on listening until I get somewhere with Wifi unfortunately.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Awesome Animals said:

What are the main differences between HoN and LoL? Why is LoL the spectator sport? I was going to try LoL, but it doesn't have Mac support. HoN does. Is it worth checking out HoN if I plan on playing DotA 2?

So SotG was good? A huge part of me was hoping iNcontroL ruined what they had going, but I knew it wasn't going to happen. Artosis is still going to be a regular though? I, for the most part, felt the few we had post iNcontroL were as entertaining as the ones before. I like listening to Artosis discuss the game. And, they need at least one Terran on there. I'll be forced to hold off on listening until I get somewhere with Wifi unfortunately.

Fuck you. I've been in my new apartment now for 6 weeks and still don't have it.

Deadman

Awesome Animals said:

Im only about an hour in but its good so far, incontrol definitely brings something back that the last 4/5 lacked.

Jp has said in the sotg thread that there wont be any more guests on unless they are there to fill in for a host who is absent, so it should usually be jp, tyler, day9, artosis and incontrol from now on.

Yoshichan

Q8D3vil said:
after mlg i've been called many horrible things on ladder because i play terran.
lolz, haters gonna hate.
Shhh, zerg scrubs in this place is in denial thinking that only the terran (master race) whines lately.

zargle

Q8D3vil said:
after mlg i've been called many horrible things on ladder because i play terran.
lolz, haters gonna hate.

It is really fun to just send one hellion into their base now to scout and see them freak out about it.

I've never understood BM'ing someone when you lose. I just much rather gg and move onto the next game. I'd feel like an idiot insulting someone for the race they play.

Q8D3vil

867-5309 said:
It is really fun to just send one hellion into their base now to scout and see them freak out about it.
lol, i love how i show them like 4 hellions and they start producing tons of lings and roaches.

hamchan

AdventureRacing said:
I've never understood BM'ing someone when you lose. I just much rather gg and move onto the next game. I'd feel like an idiot insulting someone for the race they play.

People would rather blame stupid crap like race imbalance for the loss rather than admit they suck at the game.

hamchan said:
People would rather blame stupid crap like race imbalance for the loss rather than admit they suck at the game.

I can understand people thinking a race is imba (even i if i think that just holds you back) but actually insulting the other player just makes you look like a dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom