• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DonJorginho

Banned
I see 88 on MC
UPDATE: I know it's dropped now 😂😭

Showing 91 for me still, even after refreshes.

X8rheTx.jpg

Last edited:

Macaron

Banned
I think now everyone understands the meme "too much water 7/10 IGN", now its "too much planets 7/10 IGN" 😂😂😂
Doesn't get good til dozen hours in

Disjointed travel

Non maps

Bad inventory management

Slow rollout of essential abilities.

These are IGN's actual gripes. Some of you are coping too hard

Kilau

In what way? This cRPG YouTuber says it’s a better RPG than Fallout 4.

This is what they said.

Starfield is Bethesda's biggest RPG ever, and it shares even more DNA with Skyrim and Fallout 4 than I expected—but it ultimately falls far short of the greatness of both of those games. The main companions lack personality, quests that have promising starts frequently come to disappointing conclusions, and space exploration fails to feel like a grand adventure. I liked a lot of what I experienced in Starfield, and it's as huge as promised, but it's not the epic space adventure I was hoping for.

My gripe is that I hate FO4.

92% is recommended. MC at 90
I like using the recommended percent also, not just for this game but any game. It's better than some arbitrary score. Simple good review or not.

Luipadre

Gold Member
Great overall score, but i feel like its a disappointment for MS and for the crazy fans after the huge hype. Im sure MS wanted this in the "must play" category

Its the first game in the franchise. It was always going to be a little rough around the edges. Uncharted 1, Ass Creed 1, Mass Effect 1 didnt land on the first try either.

This game will still win GOTYs at the end of the year. Critics have to be harsh because of the issues they can ignore, but fans will be handing out GOTYs to this game like candy come award season.
It seems like Death Stranding in that way. Some people will love it while others won't. I'm guessing Elder Scrolls or Fallout fans wish they just made a proper sequel to one of those games instead of taking 8 years to make Starfield

It will be interesting if Starfield even gets nominated for game of the Year at the game awards. TOTK, BG3, and RE4 are locked in. 3 more nominations available with FF16, Star Wars, Diablo 4 hanging in the background, and we still got 3 more months of releases

MiguelItUp

The scores are great. But the game was overhyped. At least based on critical reception. There was an expectation among many, and it was fairly clear, that this game would review at least as well as Skyrim did. It's plain to see that it won't. In a year that has seen Tears of the Kingdom and Baldur's Gate 3, along with a number of other high-scoring games, Starfield landing in the score range that it appears to be is jarring when compared to the hype that was being built around it. Doesn't mean the game is a failure in general. It's just the critical reception not matching.
It's the unfortunate inevitable with big AAA games. Some people create these radical untouchable expectations that will never be met. Some are very happy. Some were expecting something completely different.

Then you have folks that are avid enjoyers of other plastic boxes that just want things to fail for the plastic box they don't own or care for. I don't understand it personally.

Rinse and repeat, haha. I feel like the only time we see a "matching reception" is when it's a multiplatform AAA title. But even then, of course there will still be reception not matching.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I dunno man, I can understand some of the problems given the scope of the game, but all that jank, shitty AI, bland progression, mediocre visuals at times don't make this an instant classic. I can understand the 7.
Will still try it out on Gamepass to see if it clicks.

EDIT: And what the fuck is about the amount of loading screens??

That's just Bethesda's engine. Until they completely start over from scratch you're not gonna get a seamless open world/universe experience from them.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The score is 87 on OC.
Yeah.. this.

I get it, but the overall score does still count. It seems divisive. It happens. And I feel weird calling it divisive with a score in the high 80's.
I think brand warriors hyping it as the second coming of Jesus for RPGs has something to do with trolling clapback.

Especially all those who laughed at people saying it would not come close to BG3 (aggregate wise).
And its amazing that some ppl still never learn. From pre launch of the console to now.

Twitter is probably a blood bath right now.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
It seems like Death Stranding in that way. Some people will love it while others won't. I'm guessing Elder Scrolls or Fallout fans wish they just made a proper sequel to one of those games instead of taking 8 years to make Starfield

It will be interesting if Starfield even gets nominated for game of the Year at the game awards. TOTK, BG3, and RE4 are locked in. 3 more nominations available with FF16, Star Wars, Diablo 4 hanging in the background, and we still got 3 more months of releases
Hogwarts Legacy will definitely be included IMO. A fantastic effort from a relatively low-key studio and megaton sales.

kaizenkko

As I said, 85~87. I expect to be a little lower at time more reviews get posted. Everyone who thinks this would be a 90+ title was just delusional.

dorkimoe

i dont think MS aimed for a mid 80 score, for sure Phill ll not be pleased, after Redfall i think MS was expecting this to be at least 90+
But reviews are completely subjective. Once upon a time in hollywood got great reviews, its one of the biggest pieces of shit movies i have ever seen. Its all up to the individual. People really need to understand that.

Laieon

A few of the space game people I follow and some other reviewers say the space combat is very Arcady and more akin to something like star fox than like Elite Dangerous or wing commander. Another said there is so much fast travel that the ship feels a bit like extra fluff. People who are waiting on a new freelancer are going to be disappointed. Better pray SC actually finishes one day.

I wasn't looking forward to this game, but this might have just sold me on at least trying it out.

Last edited:

skit_data

Gold Member
Yeah, that's it. I was considering buying a Series X for my dad, mainly as a 4k blu-ray player, and to borrow it from time to time for Xbox AAA games like Starfield, but a 7/10 isn't good enough to get a console. Now I'll just get him a 4k blu-ray player.
And here I am thinking exactly the reverse xD
Thinking of getting a 4k bluray player, might as well get a Series X

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I'm still in shock
Tbh seeing all the leaks and comments made it look good
I will still play it and make my own opinion on monday
Do we know wich sites didn't review yet?

Top Bottom