• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

yamaci17

as expected a huge flop (yes its a flop)

you FORCE-buy a company and then make the games they do exclusive to a small niche userbase (%15 or so). YOU HAVE TO make a banger that pushes upwards of 94 and strong goty contention

if you can't do that, YOU JUST robbed all playstation gamers out of a decent game. that's it.

that is why it is a flop. pretty sad news.

LordNerevar76

Neo Member
Modern review scoring is confusing. I don't think scoring 50 is even average.
Technically, 7.3 or so is "average" as in 50% of games get higher and 50% of games get lower (this according to OpenCritic's accounting of all game scores). So "technically" a 7.0 is below average. I believe IGN considers a "7" to potentially encompass the entire range of "7.0-7.9" but critic aggregators don't consider that.

Montauk

This is the dumbest thing of all IMO. When the fanboys try to explain why only some reviews should really count and the others should be disqualified.

The best is when they meticulously pore through the lowest reviews looking for some line they can take out of context and say “I stopped reading right there” or something. Lol

The whole point of having lots of reviews is that you can get a wide picture of different opinions on the game.

You need to take as many reviews as you motivated to read/watch and synthesise that information with your own opinions about other games, cross-referenced against what individual reviewers or outlets have said about games you’ve liked or disliked in the past.

Then you’ve basically got a rough chance of estimating if you might like the game or not lol, based on synthesising that information.

It makes no sense to get angry about a range of scores. That’s the strength of having access to so many reviews; more data, more variety.

This whole reaction is so stupid, every time it happens. You haven’t played the damn game and you’re questioning the review of somebody who has?

You’re angrily questioning why somebody liked it slightly less than somebody else? People are different! It’s time to grow up!

You’re a person and you might feel differently to reviewer X.

Surely this all stuff you learn as a young teenager? That people disagree? I just don’t get it.

kebaldo

86-88 Opercritic/Metacritic is probably the best possible outcome for both Sony fans and Microsoft fans.... Who plays on Pc/Xbox gets to play a good game, not life changing (like TES or Fallout) but a good game. Who only plays on Playstation have enought material to troll the Ms fan base... It's a win win.

mxbison

The stuff about exploration sounds pretty disappointing. Just hopping from one scene to the next with fast travel and loading screens.

Combat sounds pretty good and better than expected though.

Thirty7ven

Banned
IGN France gave a 9/10, IGN Brazil a 9.5/10, IGN Japan a 10/10, IGN Spain a 10/10

This game is nowhere near being a 10. People who gave it a 10 have decided to turn a blind eye to a bunch of shit.

Also sus as fuck that after so much shit about how open world games should be, Starfield being basically a menu based type of exploration somehow gets away at some of these places?

Last edited:

Romulus

The score will settle at low 80s. That's fine.

But this is part of what I expected after Fallout 4. That same studio doesn't have the magic anymore. They just don't have the same oomph they did back during the Fallout 3 days. People get older and lose motivation. This game probably has that and the fact that they spread themselves too thin. They should have focused on 1 solar system with a good variety instead of all these bullshit barren worlds that are restrictive with invisible walls.

VR will make this game absolutely incredible though. I'm gonna wait 6 months for some good inventory mods, bug fixes, and Vorphx, and go have a blast. I don't need motion controls but I want to see the actual scale of these planets in VR. If you haven't experienced that in Elite Dangerous you're and you love scifi, you're missing out. It does suck this game doesn't proper landing either.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Perhaps Bethesda will manage to make the Starfield experience better in the future through various updates and expansions. But all in all, it seems like Starfield would have done much better as a universe with a sea of depth and seamlessness spread over 10 planets, rather than what we got spread over 1000.

This pretty much describes my entire fear of the game every since announced. I will never understand peoples obssesion like Ubisoft games with MORE BIGGER OPEN WORLD/MORE PLANETS. Fucking stupid. I'd rather explore 1 amazingly detailed planet than 1000 shallow ones.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
IGN review just cemented all of my fears. They call the world "barren and lifeless". Said the main missions are way too repetitive. Theres no map, so you will have to rely on memorization, and planet exploration is not seamless like it is in NMS.

The biggest nail in the coffin for me: "All there is to do on these planets is scan trees and rocks" - direct quote.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Oops this one got deleted:
1Oo4FsF.png

Glad to see In Cold Blood In Cold Blood hasn't lost any of his mojo.

3liteDragon

I think brand warriors hyping it as the second coming of Jesus for RPGs has something to do with trolling clapback.

Especially all those who laughed at people saying it would not come close to BG3 (aggregate wise).
Those are the people who will be disappointed, these are great scores regardless so far. I’m still waiting for Skill Up’s review.

I personally predicted 85-90.

Last edited:

TheMan

Well, OC score overall is still pretty good although MS really needed this game to be an undisputed feather in its cap.

Personally I’ll still pay the 30 bucks to play this weekend but imma hold off on buying the series x today as I was planning and just play on PC

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
OC at 87 right now.

I wish it unlocked at 12 with the reviews SIGHHHHHHH

Gotta wait 7 more hours.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It seems like Death Stranding in that way. Some people will love it while others won't. I'm guessing Elder Scrolls or Fallout fans wish they just made a proper sequel to one of those games instead of taking 8 years to make Starfield

It will be interesting if Starfield even gets nominated for game of the Year at the game awards. TOTK, BG3, and RE4 are locked in. 3 more nominations available with FF16, Star Wars, Diablo 4 hanging in the background, and we still got 3 more months of releases
yep. DS ended up winning MORE goty awards despite landing at around an 83 metacritic beating out both sekiro and RE2 which were around 92-93 IIRC. And it wasnt just critics either, fan awards were mostly for Death Stranding which is hilarious because critics docked points specifically because it was not a game for everyone.

• Death Stranding - 118
  • Media Outlets: 77 | Readers' Choice: 41
  • Resident Evil 2 - 94
  • Media Outlets: 64 | Readers' Choice: 30
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - 85
  • Media Outlets: 71 | Readers' Choice: 14

Of course, the game isnt out yet so starfield might piss off gamers just like cyberpunk did in 2020.

Sleepwalker

This pretty much describes my entire fear of the game every since announced. I will never understand peoples obssesion like Ubisoft games with MORE BIGGER OPEN WORLD/MORE PLANETS. Fucking stupid. I'd rather explore 1 amazingly detailed planet than 1000 shallow ones.

Same, we could've got 20 or so good planets for a more focused experience, instead we probably got like

200 rock planets
200 gas planets
300 planets with random outposts or animals
300 fire/water/ice/inhabitable planets

Most of the planets seem to be for mining or resource gathering with a few dungeons spread out in some.

Dzab

The steam reviews will reveal all.
The problem is that Steam users will just be so far to either end of the scale.

They even have Hello Neighbor as "very positive"... I mean come on lol.

And on the other hand, they will bomb some games because of a feature or something they don't like. I've seen a lot of games get reviews within moments of it being released, with one word and trying to be "funny".

Sanepar

The quality of rpgs nowadays(witcher 3 and bg3) are really different than Skyrim and Fallout 4 time... the standard of quality for story is higher much higher...

Top Bottom