• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

XXL

I saw alot of the leaks, this is not surprising.

It's a great game, which has some strange stuff going on that people wouldn't expect.

Crowbcat's video will be a good one.

I'm going to be playing it still, but really I'm just here for the meltdowns.

People need to stop overhyping things.

Kilau

IGN can't be bought.
relationship ea GIF

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Anyone else think this is a case of a very well reviewed RPG game, BG3, being a direct comparison to it being a reason for the lower scores?

Like I imagine people thinking why can't I do this arbitrary thing that was in BG3 on Starfield and maybe vice versa?
I doubt it. I think the issue is that people have a very specific vibe in mind for exploration in Skyrim. "Getting lost" and wandering in fields and mountains and you can go anywhere without much thought. This game is a different exploration rhythm of picking where to go on purpose from menus, traveling in a ship (not wandering on foot) and then landing and exploring. And rather than being a fantasy, it's supposed to be a pseudo-realistic astronaut game. Nothing about being an astronaut is inherently super fun, like rationing fuel, mining, exploring rock planets without life or civilization.

I suspect that people that want to get into roleplaying in space will love it. People that want it to have the same pacing as Skyrim may find it clinical and boring. Exploration of our entire solar system for example would likely just be done from menus, since Earth is the only planet in the whole solar system with life. It sounds like it's got some of the usual Bethesda quirks from past games, which is probably part of being marked down too.

Personally, I'm pretty excited to try it. I find that games that alienate some people are usually trying something new, even if they don't stick the landing 100%. Games that have every possible edge smoothed off so that they can appeal to every possible person score very high. But like I said, I just have to play it and see for myself. Maybe it's just a huge 8/10 RPG.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Im sure MS is pissed off the big sites (the only ones the casuals actually care about) gave it such low scores. But overall I think the game will be a success and have legs longer than the nile.

"An inch deep and a mile wide" is what I was hoping this game wouldn't be, but seeing that word for word in one of the reviews is a bummer. Still gonna play it and I hope it's better than the piece of shit that was Fallout 4.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
lol.....what? I'm seeing great overall scores my man. You seem very invested in this.
Wait til ppl start posting other games that had a similar or lower score that are considered great....and it causes brains to lock up because it doesn't fit the narrative.

MiguelItUp

Wild to me that some people think the outcome is "disappointing", lol.

Reviews in themselves are subjective. Some of you let numbers affect WAY too much. It sucks knowing that a game could've been something a person really enjoyed but a review number is what turned them away.

These days looking at Opencritic or Metacritic shows if a game is a critical failure or not, and that's pretty helpful for some, I get that. But other than that I feel like a lot of reviews are just opinionated hogwash, check it out yourself, lol. Or at least fly close to those that tend to share the same opinion as you.

I'm still shocked people even pay so much attention to IGN or Gamespot, they've both been notorious for absurd and almost click-bait-y opinions. I mean, IGN gave Alien Isolation a 5.9, lmao.

Last edited:
The Starfield Direct was too much to live up to. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, I hope it's much better than Fallout 4 though, that's one of my biggest gaming disappointments of all time.

DonJorginho

Banned
So no console exclusive for like the first 2 years. Then Redfall. Then pushing back BG3 release essentially making it a timed PS5/PC exclusive for this game.

Surely this is close to a killing blow for Xbox/Microsoft? At the very least the gap in console quality is by farrrr larger then ever.

Yikes.
What drugs have you taken and where can i get them?

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
I doubt it. I think the issue is that people have a very specific vibe in mind for exploration in Skyrim. "Getting lost" and wandering in fields and mountains and you can go anywhere without much thought. This game is a different exploration rhythm of picking where to go on purpose from menus, traveling in a ship (not wandering on foot) and then landing and exploring. And rather than being a fantasy, it's supposed to be a pseudo-realistic astronaut game. Nothing about being an astronaut is inherently super fun, like rationing fuel, mining, exploring rock planets without life or civilization.

I suspect that people that want to get into roleplaying in space will love it. People that want it to have the same pacing as Skyrim may find it clinical and boring. Exploration of our entire solar system for example would likely just be done from menus, since Earth is the only planet in the whole solar system with life. It sounds like it's got some of the usual Bethesda quirks from past games, which is probably part of being marked down too.

Personally, I'm pretty excited to try it. I find that games that alienate some people are usually trying something new, even if they don't stick the landing 100%. Games that have every possible edge smoothed off so that they can appeal to every possible person score very high. But like I said, I just have to play it and see for myself. Maybe it's just a huge 8/10 RPG.
I haven't played a single minute of BG3 yet so I have no idea how to compare them really but I agree with your points. Just comparing RPGs to RPGs if that makes sense. And yeah as a space/sci fi fan, I will definitely enjoy it for what it is.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I do wonder if there is a bit of reviewer solidarity going on with some of the scores with the whole withholding from the UK thing that happened. Particularly from the big sites while the small sites that wouldn't give a crap about that are praising it.

mxbison

Good scores but with how inflated AAA review scores are nowadays and how insanely hyped this game is, definitely a bit underwhelming.

Still really looking forward to playing it.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
So again I was right, well now Im off. Im going to take my Triple B, get some paris skanks (4 ride is the limit) and Im heading to my best friend Adam Coles house to toast our new found tag titles. Just know MS that Playstation and Nintendo studios are better than you, and you know it!

MJF, out!

Sacred

So no console exclusive for like the first 2 years. Then Redfall. Then pushing back BG3 release essentially making it a timed PS5/PC exclusive for this game.

Surely this is close to a killing blow for Xbox/Microsoft? At the very least the gap in console quality is by farrrr larger then ever.

Yikes.
Can we get rid of this guy mods.

Red5

The funniest thing about IGN score is that it literally says GOOD in big white font on a big red background, but some smooth brains will still interpret 7 as bad.

splattered

Damn so many 8-10/10 and 4-5/5 scores yet game has sunk below 90? Is this a matter of personal preference or is something else going on here?

Top Bottom