• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raziel

K6BkDVN.gif

Madflavor

While 88 is a great score, i kinda expected it to easily cross 90s, in my perspective anything less than 92 was in a way disappointing, i know that sounds crazy but a game on the caliber of Starfield, mainline single player RPG with big budget from Bethesda and Xbox team should be a system seller, and system seller for console always gets above 90, like Breath of the Wild/Super Mario Odyssey when the Switch launched, or Bloodborne/God of War on PS, or Half Life Alyx on PC VR.
I mean yeah 88 is great and the game looks like a good pick up if you enjoy Bethesda open world (i do) but i really expected more, the hype and the showcase in June hyped it up for me as a big threat to TOTK and major GOTY contender, but after the scores today i can safely say this will not be the case.
All this doesnt mean anything about its quality, but it does speak about the game chances at winning GOTY or selling the system or feature legacy, if anything, it could be way worse than the reviews, it could be way better, both things happened for me in games like Prey/Ghost of Tsushima or games like Uncharted 2/Halo 3
I guess we shall wait and see how the next 2 weeks unfold, things can still change.

Agreed. If a very high profile game like this isn't able to crack 90+, it means there were enough reviewers who were more willing to be honest about the game's faults. And while the game may be a ton of fun, it's faults are significant enough to drag it down.

I'm not saying anyone who gave this game a 10/10 are being dishonest, but sometimes people listen to their heart a lot more than their mind, and it takes longer to marinate their thoughts on the game than others. Me personally, it took a good few weeks before I was willing to admit FFXVI just wasn't a good game. But those first couple weeks I was firmly in the "Yeah it's got issues, but it's still great!" camp.

For anyone wanting a comparison with No Man's Sky:

As someone who hasn't played either of these games yet, NMS looks far more interesting.

Mozzarella

I think we all fell for the hype of the showcase, when Beth RPG fans should have known better. We should have expected exactly what it is: Skyrim in space, or Skyrim with guns, but whatever. A lot of people are saying that if you like those kinds of games, you might think it's one of the best games ever. If not, then it'll just be more FO/TES formula that some people just don't vibe with.
Fallout 4 in space is more accurate, because i think Skyrim is actually an amazing game, flawed but amazing game.

Anyway with Bethesda single player open world RPGs like this buying the game is always not a bad deal since you get the game and tons of mods for the years to come, their games have good value regardless of their quality, i didnt like Fallout 4 that much, i think its a decent 3/5 game, but i dont regret spending money on it, not one bit, cause the mods i downloaded for that game made it a worthy purchase.
Ofcourse Skyrim is a must play imo.

I guess we wanted Starfield to be Skyrim in space, but instead its Fallout 4 in space.
I'll dive into its world soon after its release, lets hope its going to be great.

Fallout 4 in space is more accurate, because i think Skyrim is actually an amazing game, flawed but amazing game.

Anyway with Bethesda single player open world RPGs like this buying the game is always not a bad deal since you get the game and tons of mods for the years to come, their games have good value regardless of their quality, i didnt like Fallout 4 that much, i think its a decent 3/5 game, but i dont regret spending money on it, not one bit, cause the mods i downloaded for that game made it a worthy purchase.
Ofcourse Skyrim is a must play imo.

I guess we wanted Starfield to be Skyrim in space, but instead its Fallout 4 in space.
I'll dive into its world soon after its release, lets hope its going to be great.
Too early to tell. I'm also a big Skyrim fan, and a few 7's from two outdated websites doesn't mean much imo.

Maddux4164

Banned
Agreed. If a very high profile game like this isn't able to crack 90+, it means there were enough reviewers who were more willing to be honest about the game's faults. And while the game may be a ton of fun, it's faults are significant enough to drag it down.

I'm not saying anyone who gave this game a 10/10 are being dishonest, but sometimes people listen to their heart a lot more than their mind, and it takes longer to marinate their thoughts on the game than others. Me personally, it took a good few weeks before I was willing to admit FFXVI just wasn't a good game. But those first couple weeks I was firmly in the "Yeah it's got issues, but it's still great!" camp.

As someone who hasn't played either of these games yet, NMS looks far more interesting.
NMS is amazing for space flight and seams-less exploration

But that’s where it ends

It’s a game of extreme grinding, fun at first but it just wears on and never stops

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
I’ve stated based on the reviews and videos I’ve watched

But it certainly “appears” as such to me. It’s certainly not NMS in hardly any way, other than it takes place in space.
Could you possibly change your tune once you've experienced playing the game?

It's not nms, sure, but so what?

Maddux4164

Banned
Could you possibly change your tune once you've experienced playing the game?

It's not nms, sure, but so what?
Just making a comment. Many in this 53 page thread are comparing it to NMS and it’s just not that.

NMS lacks a true story, voiced NPC’s, large cities on different planets, RPG mechanics, full on customization of ships, stuff to actually DO on planets other than mine materials etc

GHG

Gold Member

Digital foundry need to ensure they maintain their special status.

NMS is amazing for space flight and seams-less exploration

But that’s where it ends

It’s a game of extreme grinding, fun at first but it just wears on and never stops

At its core NMS is a game that revolves around exploration for resources to craft stuff. The basic loop is:

- find planet with required resources
- mine/gather resources
- build stuff
- repeat

Of course since the updates there are now plenty of other side activities that you can do in between (various quests, trading, space and land combat, build bases, collect spacecraft etc) but the core progression loop revolves around exploring for resources in order to build the better stuff required to explore further away.

Basically if you like exploration/crafting/space games then you'll enjoy NMS. Starfield is nothing like it, for better and for worse.

Last edited:

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
NMS lacks a true story, voiced NPC’s, large cities on different planets, RPG mechanics, full on customization of ships, stuff to actually DO on planets other than mine materials etc
Ok , so now you're selling Starfield?

Go to bed.

Maddux4164

Banned
Digital foundry need to ensure they maintain their special status.

At its core NMS is a game that revolves around exploration for resources to craft stuff. The basic loop is:

- find planet with required resources
- mine/gather resources
- build stuff
- repeat

Of course since the updates there are now plenty of other side activities that you can do in between (various quests, trading, space and land combat, build bases, collect spacecraft etc) but the core progression loop revolves around exploring for resources in order to build the better stuff required to explore further away.

Basically if you like exploration/crafting/space games then you'll enjoy NMS.
Correct. It’s fun to me for a while. But gets super old once you’ve seen 4-5 planets and it’s relatively the same rinse and repeat

It’s a beautiful game and fun to fly around but that’s kind of where it stops being fun for me.

I’ll boot it up every so often. Check out a new update and fly around some and walk on planets. Then I recall The absolute non stop never ending grind. Grind. Grind. It gets pretty annoying.

ZehDon

It was the only comparasion video i could find,

Dont take it too seriously, we knew there wouldnt be seamless planet transitions.
If you knew it was comparing a feature one of the games didn't have - rendering the comparison pointless - why did you post it?

GHG

Gold Member
Correct. It’s fun to me for a while. But gets super old once you’ve seen 4-5 planets and it’s relatively the same rinse and repeat

It’s a beautiful game and fun to fly around but that’s kind of where it stops being fun for me.

I’ll boot it up every so often. Check out a new update and fly around some and walk on planets. Then I recall The absolute non stop never ending grind. Grind. Grind. It gets pretty annoying.

If you want to try it again then I'd suggest a fresh save on survival mode. It's now nothing like the game that originally launched and that's the mode that plays to it's strengths in terms of all the stuff that's been added. Also there's now a huge variety in terms of the planets/moons you can come across.

Maddux4164

Banned
If you want to try it again then I'd suggest a fresh save on survival mode. It's now nothing like the game that originally launched and that's the mode that plays to its strengths in terms of all the stuff that's been added. Also there's now a huge variety in terms of the planets/moons you can come across.
My only issue is I hate the start of the game (unless it’s changed)

Having to fix my ship every damn time I start a new save lol

Also I need To be in a “grind” mood for that game. It’s basically what it’s about. Albeit it’s extremely fun to zip around space. The game shines in that. Low atmospheric flight and all too.

Reactions: GHG
Me personally, it took a good few weeks before I was willing to admit FFXVI just wasn't a good game. But those first couple weeks I was firmly in the "Yeah it's got issues, but it's still great!" camp.

Me personally, FFXVI is a good game that has issues. At first I disagreed with the scores but came around to the complaints about it. Still loved the experience and it may be my GOTY, but think it scored about right where it deserved

I think Starfield can be in the same camp here for many people where what it has aspects to love while acknowledging there are quite a few flaws that justifiably knock it down from the upper echelon of scores

Last edited:

Madflavor

Me personally, FFXVI is a good game that has issues. At first I disagreed with the scores but came around to the complaints about it. Still loved the experience and it may be my GOTY

For me it was the pacing and lack of RPG elements that ultimately killed my enjoyment of the game. I hung in there for a while though, but it was during Final Fantasy Mode I realized I didn't love the game as much as I thought.

GHG

Gold Member
My only issue is I hate the start of the game (unless it’s changed)

Having to fix my ship every damn time I start a new save lol

Also I need To be in a “grind” mood for that game. It’s basically what it’s about. Albeit it’s extremely fun to zip around space. The game shines in that. Low atmospheric flight and all too.

Yeh absent of downloading a save file or using an alternate start mod there's no getting round that initial grind at the start. The last time I had to go though it it was in VR though so it felt fresh in that way at least.

Maddux4164

Banned
Yeh absent of downloading a save file or using an alternate start mod there's no getting round that initial grind at the start. The last time I had to go though it it was in VR though so it felt fresh in that way at least.
It’s been a while. Since I wont play star field until the 6th. May boot up NMS

Madflavor

If you want to try it again then I'd suggest a fresh save on survival mode. It's now nothing like the game that originally launched and that's the mode that plays to it's strengths in terms of all the stuff that's been added. Also there's now a huge variety in terms of the planets/moons you can come across.

NMS had the visuals and the Space Exploration that I wanted, but none of the story and companion elements. Visa versa Starfield has that story and companion elements, but doesn't seem to measure up to NMS's visuals and exploration. Or at the very least the exploration doesn't seem as good as I hoped.

I've been waiting 10+ years for another Sci-Fi RPG to measure up to Mass Effect 1&2, and it's looking like that wait will continue.

Maddux4164

Banned
NMS had the visuals and the Space Exploration that I wanted, but none of the story and companion elements. Visa versa Starfield has that story and companion elements, but doesn't seem to measure up to NMS's visuals and exploration. Or at the very least the exploration doesn't seem as good as I hoped.

I've been waiting 10+ years for another Sci-Fi RPG to measure up to Mass Effect 1&2, and it's looking like that wait will continue.
On its face, this appears it will quench your Mass Effect thirst and also have far more exploration and customization

Maddux4164

Banned
Some reviewers have also stated there’s a small “horror” element in some places. They didn’t go into it too much. For spoilers. But sounds cool. Fallout had a touch of that too.

Watching some YouTube reviews. My hype for this game is still up there.

I want to play this game so bad but I'm still logged in at work dealing with these fucking annoying users

This is literally me right now. 0 will to work and praying this work day can just fucking end already

ITCrow.jpg

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

Yep in the same boat. As I've played NMS and enjoyed it for what it is I'll do the same with Starfield.

What I really want is someone to be brave enough to really combine the two with additional sprinklings of Stellaris and Elite Dangerous in an AAA package. Very unlikely to happen though unfortunately considering the budget that would be required for it.

If someone made a 3D AAA version of starsector it wouldn't be too far off:

Strongly suggest you play NMS though, it's on sale on PC at the moment across the main storefronts.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
For me it was the pacing and lack of RPG elements that ultimately killed my enjoyment of the game. I hung in there for a while though, but it was during Final Fantasy Mode I realized I didn't love the game as much as I thought.

The 2nd playthrough of a game will never, EVER have the same impact as the first when everything is new, fresh and a surprise, silly thing to judge *any* game on when it comes to overall thoughts. Your posts in the FF thread were spot-on and we'll thought out, no need to backpedal after the fact, I made my own criticisms clear but ultimately if it weren't for AC6 FFXVI would still be my GOTY (it's a close number 2).

Where I *do* see the FF parallels in Starfield is that it will be a divisive game with it's fair share of champions and detractors but even so there are things that are *objectively* true. In FF we got a lot of filler sidequests that hurt the overall pacing of the game, this is objectively true. In Starfield you've got a 1000 planets but they are all mostly barren and lifeless, this too is objectively true. I'm sure there are those that will still have Starfield as their GOTY, I fully accept that.

Top Bottom