• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fess

Watching some YouTube reviews. My hype for this game is still up there.

I want to play this game so bad but I'm still logged in at work dealing with these fucking annoying users

This is literally me right now. 0 will to work and praying this work day can just fucking end already

ITCrow.jpg
Lol yeah I’m on the bus to work right now, I got to start it and witness the infamous title screen (which was fantastic!) and then had to go to work, will be a looooooooong day
Tired Over It GIF by Desus & Mero

Madflavor

The 2nd playthrough of a game will never, EVER have the same impact as the first when everything is new, fresh and a surprise, silly thing to judge *any* game on when it comes to overall thoughts.
That's not always true. There are exceptions to the rule. There have been games I've played where I enjoyed my 2nd time with it more than the first. Sometimes a game clicks with you more when you revisit it. Cyberpunk 2077 is a recent example.

It's not that I was trying to compare my enjoyment in FF Mode compared to my fresh first playthrough of FFXVI. It's just that during my 2nd playthrough, my issues with the game grew more bothersome.

Your posts in the FF thread were spot-on and we'll thought out, no need to backpedal after the fact, I made my own criticisms clear but ultimately if it weren't for AC6 FFXVI would still be my GOTY (it's a close number 2).
I mean I'm allowed to change my opinion over time. In truth, my review of FFXVI a couple months ago reflect my thoughts now. I still think it has the same Pros and Cons I listed before. The only big difference is that it's faults bother me a lot more than they did when I first played it.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
That's not always true. There are exceptions to the rule. There have been games I've played where I enjoyed my 2nd time with it more than the first. Sometimes a game clicks with you more when you revisit it. Cyberpunk 2077 is a recent example.

There are exceptions to every rule but let's not get it confused, playing Cyberpunk for 5 hours, putting it down, coming back a year later (after a bunch of patches), having it click and then doing a full playthrough is not the same as doing a full playthrough of Cyberpunk and have it not click (yet you spend dozens of hours with it lol) then doing a second playthrough and saying "Wow, this is even better than my 1st playthrough!" never happens.

We also can't count NG+ in games like Nier: Automata which are essentially a continuation of the story with new playable characters, areas, bosses, everything, that's a different category entirely. My understanding is Starfield has something similar to that in how it handles NG+ which is cool, wish more games found creative ways to do it.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

For me it was the pacing and lack of RPG elements that ultimately killed my enjoyment of the game. I hung in there for a while though, but it was during Final Fantasy Mode I realized I didn't love the game as much as I thought.
I loved the game, I still do. But games for me are a one and done thing unless there's new story content so that was never an issue for me.

I can understand how one can fall out of love with games if you stick around for too long. Thats a spot multiplayer games have on lockdown for me.

Ill be happy to revisit XVI if theres single player DLC for sure

Outlier

This is actually a relief. Gives me more time for BG3 and probably would have needed to upgrade stuff to play it. Was not looking forward to that bill.

I'll just snag the GOTY edition in a few years.
Yep. After watching a couple reviews an watching my favorite streamer play Starfield, I am absolutely going to wait for updates, sale, and MAYBE purchase a year from now.

BG3 is a godsend of an RPG. It's truly disgusting seeing the garbage conversation animations, characters clipping through objects, and the inability to kill important characters, in Starfield. Very dated game design. Will WAIT.

Fabieter

Jesus Christ that's so fucking stupid.

If it's as impactful as people say it should be a story mechanic where it resets you back to beginning for story reasons.

People who don't follow gaming media closely aren't going to know to do this (it's still a stupid thing to need to do). I know my wife will be super pissed when she finds out that half of the game is locked behind NG+.

Beelining the main quest is now how Bethesda games are supposed to work.

Especially when you see that most people ignored bgs msqs for the most part and just did all the exploration.

DryvBy

For anyone wanting a comparison with No Man's Sky:

This is actually why Starfield isn't of any interest to me. NMS is only missing combat for me and Starfield seems like it is using that jank Fallout 4 crap without VATS. But NMS makes up for the lack of combat with space battles, exploration, real base building, VR, crossplay, survival modes, true exploration and discovery.

It doesn't mean others can't enjoy Starfield but after I saw how the leaks turned out, nah. I've apparently been good.

BlueLyria

Starfield is exactly what I expected : A well reviewing and janky Bethesda game. Nothing more, nothing less.
People who where wishing it was a 60 MC flop are going to be malding, people who where hyping it as Bethesda NMS/Star citizen with infinite planets, infinite possibilities, a forever game are going to be coping and seething it's just a Bethesda game.

Let's be honest for a moment.

If BG3 hadn't come out this year then the sentiment regarding Starfield would be completely different.

Unfortunately it did, and any of us that have played it can attest to how high the bar has been raised.

It's probably better than FFXVI, though.

Xenon

That IGN review is outlandish!

I'm boycotting their site from here on out...

Actually , I've been doing that for the past decade. Oops!

Yeah, they got me. I ended up watching the review just to see why they gave it such a 7. Well played IGN. The complaints about limitations of what your character can do at the start of the game seems kind of ridiculous. That's like what rpgs are man.

Not thrilled about the inventory management complaints. Other than that, I think i'm pretty much getting what I expected and excited to start it.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Yep. After watching a couple reviews an watching my favorite streamer play Starfield, I am absolutely going to wait for updates, sale, and MAYBE purchase a year from now.

BG3 is a godsend of an RPG. It's truly disgusting seeing the garbage conversation animations, characters clipping through objects, and the inability to kill important characters, in Starfield. Very dated game design. Will WAIT.
Yeah it is pretty shocking to see the difference between the two.

I think BG3 is going to make other new RPGs look dated as soon as they come out for at least the next couple of years.

supernova8

Banned
Watched one of those "first hour" videos and I just cannot get over how shit the NPC facial animations are. Seriously this is meant to be some massive budget game and yet we're almost stuck at Half Life 2 (2004) quality levels. Other thing that struck me is how the player model has very little "weight". Same goes for the gunplay.

Last edited:

NikuNashi

This thing is not going to move units. it will not sell xboxes. This was over hyped, its a good space RPG, thats it. Its not a system seller.

Yoboman

Even a wildly different game with wildly different technical requirements on a wildly different engine did something else, did it?

It really makes you think.
Point is having some ground vehicles (or mounts in more fantasy settings) in an open world game is a standard. I can't think of any non Bethesda games that don't do this

Make all the excuses you want, it's a poor effort

Especially odd considering all the effort they seem to have done for ship building

Last edited:

Montauk

Point is having some ground vehicles (or mounts in more fantasy settings) in an open world game is a standard. I can't think of any non Bethesda games that don't do this

Make all the excuses you want, it's a poor effort

Especially odd considering all the effort they seem to have done for ship building

It’s not an excuse. It’s a reason. If you thought about it for more than 10 seconds you’d realise why.

anthraticus

Banned
Bethesda is always good for making ppl think there's gonna be all these endless possibilities in their games, with so much wonder and excitement when exploring and discovering these worlds.

Meanwhile the actuality is, the more and more you play the worse and worse it gets as you start to uncover all the repetition and recognize all the bland, generic, shit design once you've had more experience with it.

The true Bethesda died after Lefay and Peterson left and Toddler & Rolston became project leaders.

Last edited:

Montauk

Vehicles ? You want to hit the boundary in 30 seconds or what ?

It’s ok, he hasn’t thought about it.

He’s like way too many gamers nowadays who labor under the misconception that game engines are magic and that any deficiency is purely a lack of ‘effort’ on the part of a developer.

For some reason Bethesda didn’t hit the “make vehicles work” switch on the engine. Probably because they were too lazy to look for it, but everyone knows it’s in the code database.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Watching some people play it on their Steam Deck.. it looks on par with Fallout 3 graphics wise. It doesn’t look unplayable. It just looks like you’re playing a BGS game on a legacy console.

Cyberpunkd

If BG3 hadn't come out this year then the sentiment regarding Starfield would be completely different.
No.

As many people pointed out this doesn’t push anything significantly past what Skyrim has done, and in retrospect other ES and Fallout games. So there still would have been “game is good, but it’s more of the same, something is missing”. There is still that illusion of freedom that crushes on gameplay mechanics and limitations - copy/pasted procedurally generated planets from seeds, mountains in the distance you cannot go to since they are just generated as a seed background but don’t really exist, invisible walls, etc.

The thing is BG3 showed what that SOMETHING could be, how to push the narrative, character development, imaginative gameplay further. We now have a tangible evidence something more is possible.

No Man’s Sky on the other hand showed 7 years ago how to do space exploration, and that was from an indie studio.

Starfield is a solid 8/10 game, that’s it. I and many others expected much more but knowing Bethesda we should have known better.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

For anyone wanting a comparison with No Man's Sky:

To be fair, NO Man's Sky on August 9th 2016 was being ripped to shreds on social media and in reviews(mid 70s). A ton of people were contacting Sony demanding a refund for false advertising.

NMS is pretty damn good now in my opinion but it took several years after the initial disastrous launch to achieve that.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Banned
To be fair, NO Man's Sky on August 9th 2016 was being ripped to shreds on social media and in reviews(mid 70s). A ton of people were contacting Sony demanding a refund for false advertising.

NMS is pretty damn good now in my opinion but it took several years after the initial disastrous launch to achieve that.
Def true. Bought it at launch myself.

But the whole “seamless planet exploration and space flight across solar systems” was there at launch.

Not saying starfield ever was going to do that. But ya know

Cyberpunkd

Ok, but that was on a fraction of Bethesda budget and headcount. So as a number cruncher I have to ask - where did that 400mln budget go to?

Montauk

Ok, but that was on a fraction of Bethesda budget and headcount. So as a number cruncher I have to ask - where did that 400mln budget go to?

Good lord.

I’ll say it again: if you guys sat down with a bunch of Hello Games engineers and a bunch of Bethesda engineers and said shit like this they’d laugh in your face, together.

whyman

Taking a break after 3 hours of Starfield. It's fucking great.

I guess only Xbox shills gave this game a high score. LMAO. 88 now, BTW. BACK TO IT. Enjoy your screenshots!
That’s the thing. I’m sure it’s a great game. Just not the game Todd was promoting. 90% of Peter Molyneux games were great games, just not the games he was describing.

OuterLimits

Def true. Bought it at launch myself.

But the whole “seamless planet exploration and space flight across solar systems” was there at launch.

Not saying starfield ever was going to do that. But ya know

Definitely agree. Although I do remember some people bitching that the stars were just a skybox and planets didn't rotate. But yes, the biggest complaint was the lack of multiplayer and overall lack of things to do in the game really.

I played the game at launch but only played 30 hours or so. I started playing NMS from the beginning again about 3 years ago and couldn't believe how much it changed. Even the very first tutorial part was completely changed. I have been enjoying the game and the many updates since then.

Montauk

Hopefully this is the game that finally kills procedural generation, it’s lame af in this too

It won’t get killed off in games of this scale I’m afraid. In fact it’s going to be used even more in future.

But various techniques will make it better, including the use of AI.

Cyberpunkd

Good lord.

I’ll say it again: if you guys sat down with a bunch of Hello Games engineers and a bunch of Bethesda engineers and said shit like this they’d laugh in your face, together.
You didn’t address my question.

Who does space exploration better in a game about SPACE EXPLORATION?

Why is it 15 people indie studio vs. 500 people behemoth belonging to Microsoft?

Also if we are on the subject - can I ask Bethesda engineers why they are unable to come up with other engine than Gamebryo?

Last edited:

amigastar

Looks like we have come full circle. Daggerfall had a huge expansive map with procedural generation and now Starfield has it too.
It was a natural evolution.

Montauk

You didn’t address my question.

Who does space exploration better in a game about SPACE EXPLORATION?

Why is is 15 people indie studio vs. 500 people behemoth belonging to Microsoft?

Also if we are on the subject - can I ask Bethesda engineers why they are unable to come up with other engine than Gamebryo?

Do you think the design document for this game started with ‘this is a game about space exploration’ or ‘this will be our most ambitious RPG ever, set in space?

Last edited:
Top Bottom