• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Fextralife just live and breathe RPG so their seal of approval is big for me
Let me preface this by saying I enjoy Fextralife and use their vids for lots of general info and entertainment

BUT

Their leveling builds for Diablo 4 were atrociously misleading clickbait. It funneled countless players down the paths to builds that didn't even make the endgame tier lists. Costing players LOADS of time, money, and materials. I know because I was one of them. I've noticed several problems with their BG3 stuff as well. Little things here and there for sure, but those little things can add up and lead to a lot of misinformation and frustration.

By all means enjoy them and follow them, but there is a difference between being passionate and being knowledgeable. Fextralife leans hard into Passion.

Last edited:
Todd lied.
He always lies.

Womens Tennis Omg GIF by WTA

I enjoyed SM as well but its funny how so many PS guys are like "Oh 88 thats trash wait for SM2"

Meanwhile..

z4ivllJ.png
3tFd8Zo.png

Watching now
I think ppl forget that Spider-Man didn't score in the 90's... but I think the difference is that expectations where kept in check. I might be misremembering, but I wasn't sold on Spider-Man. I didn't expect much. When was the last "good" Spider-Man game? It had been awhile. There was doubt about the swinging, some ppl did not like what they saw. I remember some thinking it was just another licensed movie game money grab.

I don't know if a lot of ppl expected Spider-Man to be that good. I think that's why Spider-Man is remembered so fondly, like it scored higher. Ppl were surprised at how it turned out.

Spider-Man was better than it was supposed to be, where as Starfiled is not as great as it was supposed to be... or I could be just speaking out of my ass lol

They're both good, well reviewing, games.
I agree. Mid to high 80's is a great score. Some gamers today believe if it's not 90 or above its "mid"

I think the difference is a lot of ppl didn't expect Spider-Man to get that high of a score, where as a lot of ppl thought Starfield was doing to get a high enough score to be considered GOTY

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I agree. Mid to high 80's is a great score. Some gamers today believe if it's not 90 or above its "mid"
That is true. There IS a reason for this though.

Its because mainstream reviewrs never utilize the full scale. Its strictly 7-through-10. I cant remembe. They dont utilize the full scale. Even something as abysmal as Redfall and and (Launch) Cyberpubk only got 6 and 7 respectively. These guys aren't out here giving out 2's and 3's.

If they were, as they should be, then a 7 wouldnt be viewed as disappointing.

They brought it on themselves

Last edited:
That is true. There IS a reason for this though.

Its because mainstream reviewrs never utilize the full scale. Its strictly 7-10. I cant remembe. They dont utilize the full scale. Even something as abysmal as Redfall and and (Launch) Cyberpubk only got 6 and 7 respectively. These guys aren't out here giving out 2's and 3's.

If they were, as they should be, then a 7 wouldnt be viewed as disappointing.

They brought it on themselves
True. I forget but that video about "why most games get a 7..." didn't help at all. So in reality it really is only 6-10.

I think 1-5 stars is TERRIBLY limited. 1-10 is better... but I like a 1-100 scoring system. I think going up to 100 leaves a lot more room for nuance... but even then, they'll probably just utilize the 60-100 range.

Thirty7ven

Banned
The only reason it's not an option in this game is because of the glaringly obvious technical limitations of the engine.

The option to freely traverse the game world at will and discover things for yourself has always been core to Bethesda's previous RPG's and it's absent here.

The way to make it not boring? Have stuff to do and have random things that happen along the way to make things interesting. Nevermind the fact being able to freely take off and land yourself is a marvel in itself in the games that it's available in.

Don't kid yourself, seemless exploration with random events happening along the way would enrich the experience here, not take away from this. Literally all they had to do was take no man's sky and add in the RPG aspects (main/side quests, cities, etc) and it would have been 10/10's across the board.

Feels completely crazy to me that so much of the praise for the game revolves around how much the person playing it liked the story and quests.

And then I think about how often I find myself thinking how illiterate most of these people in the games media are. Listening to them and reading their shit is often excruciating.

Guess I’ll have to play it to find out. Bethesda has never been particularly good at it. Sure there’s a quest here and there but come on, I’ve played their games and this is not their strength.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
My feeling with some of these reviews is that some outlets wanted to "throw MS a bone" (or they are known Xbox fans/outlets) and give them a win, hence the higher scores but when some of the biggest outlets give 7's (IGN, Gamespot, PC Gamer) then it should at least raise an eyebrow.

Ultimately I trust my own eyes and everything I've seen of this game is exploring lifeless, bland planets (1000 planets, wow!), the wooden animation Bethesda is so fond of, 30 fps goodness, cumbersome, unintuitive base building and a universe that is very one note visually. If this is Xbox's saviour then so be it but let's just keep everything real.

If you've been pining all your hopes and dreams on this release then don't let any reviews or opinions get in the way of your joy and anticipation but don't be delusional either, this isn't the 3rd coming of Christ the Xbox faithful were waiting for.

Edit: and I'm sure it will still sell millions and millions so Xbox will be very happy with it and see it as a "win".

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Feels completely crazy to me that so much of the praise for the game revolves around how much the person playing it liked the story and quests.

And then I think about how often I find myself thinking how illiterate most of these people in the games media are. Listening to them and reading their shit is often excruciating.

Guess I’ll have to play it to find out. Bethesda has never been particularly good at it. Sure there’s a quest here and there but come on, I’ve played their games and this is not their strength.

Yeh I'm in no rush to play this considering it's current "strengths", I'll wait for some more interesting mods to surface and will then grab a key on the cheap.

It's just not passing the eye test for me personally at the moment.

Last edited:

Rac3r

Bethesda, Microsoft, Todd and Phil overhyped this game. They had two entire showcases dedicated to it. They really wanted this to be the Resident Evil 4/The Last of Us/Final Fantasy VII of this generation.

Expectations for the game were just as high as Cyberpunk 2077. Sure it's considerably better game, but it did not deliver.

Idk if I’m misreading, but are you saying Starfield is a considerably better game than Cyberpunk? It doesn’t seem that way at all.

Lokaum D+

What the fuck? Did I know that and forget?

How did they not hit 60fps for an exclusive?
cause "creative decisions" aka "we ll provide a shit expirience cause we cant optmize this shit engine, so it is what it is"

and u know what is funny ? there is ppl here defending this shit XD

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

FFS, he's talking about VRS. That only gets applied to some textures.

The games resolution is fixed 900p > 1440p FSR2, he mentions that in the video too.
thats great, imagine been happy about running games at 900p@ not locked 30fps at 2023, i like how MS is bringing Nintendo experience to home consoles, keep the good work MS.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

DaGwaphics

Could? Look up the aggregates for the games, you'll find multiple "platform name" - suffix websites in the top scorers.

IKR, that's kind of a given with all these.

What's always more interesting is looking at the scores a few years down the road and seeing which outlets had an accurate view of the market reaction to the game and which ones were out of touch.

Side note, there's getting to be too much news released, I'm going to have to blacklist the gaming web for the next week. The trials of the standard edition player. LOL

Macattk15

Watching Shroud play this for the past couple hours ... I must say I'm not impressed at all.

I'll still play it, but I don't let myself get hyped for Bethesda games anymore for a reason.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
i have enough time to spend over here, i just dont know what are u doing here, wasn't i supposed to be playing the game ? or this thread is more engaging than this game ?

Just finished finalizing my character, but getting notifications and correcting some misinformation. Don't blow your entire load today, there's gonna be more reviews tomorrow :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
I voted 85-90, seems that’s where it will settle. Not that I put an ounce of faith in reviewers. Can’t wait to fire this bad boy up tonight. I’m out getting dinner, how long until global release?

thats great, imagine been happy about running games at 900p@ not locked 30fps at 2023, i like how MS is bringing Nintendo experience to home consoles, keep the good work MS.
That's where the market is, so why wouldn't they play to what they want: cheaper products with lower tech specs, which a very large majority of customers are vs a smaller group of hardcore gamers.

They don't care, and to be honest, I'm getting to where I don't much either and I've been gaming for decades. I'd much rather see devs focus on games that don't break the bank and not take the better part of a decade to make.

As far as this game goes, my disappointment comes from Bethesda playing it safe and not trying something new vs same old game formula in space with a larger scale. 1080p and 30fps is like the least of my concerns and that applies to most games out there.

Maddux4164

Banned
The marketing for this game was all wrong

If you want to fly around space, fly in atmospheres, land on planets etc

NMS is the game for you. It excels at it.

This game is “Outer Worlds” on steroids

This game is everything we wanted from Obsidian and Outer Worlds. It has the RPG mechanics, story, side content, factions, big cities to explore, NPC’s to develop relationships with, customization of everything etc

The marketing was off but this game by all the reviews I’ve watched and videos, looks absolutely amazing and it will be a blast to play!

Mozzarella

While 88 is a great score, i kinda expected it to easily cross 90s, in my perspective anything less than 92 was in a way disappointing, i know that sounds crazy but a game on the caliber of Starfield, mainline single player RPG with big budget from Bethesda and Xbox team should be a system seller, and system seller for console always gets above 90, like Breath of the Wild/Super Mario Odyssey when the Switch launched, or Bloodborne/God of War on PS, or Half Life Alyx on PC VR.
I mean yeah 88 is great and the game looks like a good pick up if you enjoy Bethesda open world (i do) but i really expected more, the hype and the showcase in June hyped it up for me as a big threat to TOTK and major GOTY contender, but after the scores today i can safely say this will not be the case.
All this doesnt mean anything about its quality, but it does speak about the game chances at winning GOTY or selling the system or feature legacy, if anything, it could be way worse than the reviews, it could be way better, both things happened for me in games like Prey/Ghost of Tsushima or games like Uncharted 2/Halo 3
I guess we shall wait and see how the next 2 weeks unfold, things can still change.

While 88 is a great score, i kinda expected it to easily cross 90s, in my perspective anything less than 92 was in a way disappointing, i know that sounds crazy but a game on the caliber of Starfield, mainline single player RPG with big budget from Bethesda and Xbox team should be a system seller, and system seller for console always gets above 90, like Breath of the Wild/Super Mario Odyssey when the Switch launched, or Bloodborne/God of War on PS, or Half Life Alyx on PC VR.
I mean yeah 88 is great and the game looks like a good pick up if you enjoy Bethesda open world (i do) but i really expected more, the hype and the showcase in June hyped it up for me as a big threat to TOTK and major GOTY contender, but after the scores today i can safely say this will not be the case.
All this doesnt mean anything about its quality, but it does speak about the game chances at winning GOTY or selling the system or feature legacy, if anything, it could be way worse than the reviews, it could be way better, both things happened for me in games like Prey/Ghost of Tsushima or games like Uncharted 2/Halo 3
I guess we shall wait and see how the next 2 weeks unfold, things can still change.
I think we all fell for the hype of the showcase, when Beth RPG fans should have known better. We should have expected exactly what it is: Skyrim in space, or Skyrim with guns, but whatever. A lot of people are saying that if you like those kinds of games, you might think it's one of the best games ever. If not, then it'll just be more FO/TES formula that some people just don't vibe with.

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
It sounds a lot like they leaned more toward fallout 4’s direction. And that game was a massive disappointment for me as someone who really like 3, new Vegas, oblivion and Skyrim.

All the fast traveling in the reviews raises some big red flags for me :( was really hoping for a no mans sky x skyrim and it doesn’t seem to be that.

Top Bottom