• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lokaum D+

What the actual fuck is happening in here? Lol
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest GIF
Bethesda promised to reinvent the wheel and actually did a loading screen galore with no exploration and some elements of RPG that players of BG3 would laugh at it

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Ouch. Also I just read about no vehicles (aside from space ships). That's weird.
me too, but they need to inflate gameplay time with mindless walking and nothing to do, if they put vehicle, maps would just feel smaller and empitier that already it is, it would take 2-3 ( or less ) minutes to reach the end of that map.

Last edited:

IDappa

Am I the only one who didn't think you would be free flying everywhere?. I always assumed it would be a menu you would be interacting with to each planet (mass effect?). Idk. Maybe I have been dissapointed in too many games to assume anything anymore.

I did love RDR2 for it's seamless world that I could'nt help but roleplay as a cowboy in. Hopefully the loading screens aren't too bothersome once you get into the groove of it.

Flabagast

An 88 is really good for Bethesda, or any game really. For Bethesda to be 88 means it's actually working well, has less bugs then expected and creates a great atmosphere. Can't fault that.
A 88 for Naughty Dog, Rockstar or Nintendo premium studios would be an utter disaster though.

But I agree with you that Bethesda is not to be compared with these top quality devs.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
A 88 for Naughty Dog, Rockstar or Nintendo premium studios would be an utter disaster though.

But I agree with you that Bethesda is not to be compared with these top quality devs.
Bethesda is good but to jarnky to be at the top devs they need a new engine Im sorry my friends

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Correct and flight sim right?

Are these the only great games on Xbox?

Looking on Metacritic at ps5 and series x's best rated games 90% and above and then PS4 and Xbox One's best rated games 90% and above and it looks like there's 2 more on PlayStation and that's it.

Am I miscounting?

GHG

Gold Member
I think if the game forced you to traverse the system, it would be very tedious.

The only reason it's not an option in this game is because of the glaringly obvious technical limitations of the engine.

The option to freely traverse the game world at will and discover things for yourself has always been core to Bethesda's previous RPG's and it's absent here.

The way to make it not boring? Have stuff to do and have random things that happen along the way to make things interesting. Nevermind the fact being able to freely take off and land yourself is a marvel in itself in the games that it's available in.

Don't kid yourself, seemless exploration with random events happening along the way would enrich the experience here, not take away from this. Literally all they had to do was take no man's sky and add in the RPG aspects (main/side quests, cities, etc) and it would have been 10/10's across the board.

themonk

Bethesda promised to reinvent the wheel and actually did a loading screen galore with no exploration and some elements of RPG that player of BG3 would laugh at it
Yea I’m really trying to understand how this game has an avg of 8.8….

If I’m playing a game about exploring space I want to explore space and I expect a pretty balanced ship to land gameplay. Where’s a rover or some type of tech I expect to see in a space exploration game?

If you like the game that’s fine but the gunplay looks bad, the animations aren’t on the level of some of the best games. Graphics aren’t special. What does this game do that warrants it getting an 88???

This game sounds like it should be below a 7.

Last edited:
5 minutes in and I already have a small complaint:
No Subtitle options

pls devs, include subtitle sizes and background options. I want subtitles as small as possible with a clear background, but the only option is large text with an equally large black background

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
The only reason it's not an option in this game is because of the glaringly obvious technical limitations of the engine.

The option to freely traverse the game world at will and discover things for yourself has always been core to Bethesda's previous RPG's and it's absent here.

The way to make it not boring? Have stuff to do and have random things that happen along the way to make things interesting. Nevermind the fact being able to freely take off and land yourself is a marvel in itself in the games that it's available in.

Don't kid yourself, seemless exploration with random events happening along the way would enrich the experience here, not take away from this. Literally all they had to do was take no man's sky and add in the RPG aspects (main/side quests, cities, etc) and it would have been 10/10's across the board.
Bethesda cant door this they only undersand gamebrio this will never happen they must hire new coders and develrpment software

Success

This is the modern insanity of score inflation at work.

Now 8/10 - 8 out of 10! - is a bad score lol. Literally 2 points off a genre-defining masterpiece.

This is so common though, people don’t blink at it anymore. The scale runs 0-10 but nobody wants to score under 7 and 7 is treated as basically 0 by way too many gamers.

Madness. This obsession with numbers.

What an amateur take.

There is no such thing as score inflation.

If reviewers were to review every game on itch.io then you would see the full range of the 10 point scale.

But reviewers don't have time to play all the games that exist, so they pick and choose their games.

So they pick games that are made by a proper developer. So it is unlikely for those types of games to be anything less than just a standard 7 or 6.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
This is actually a relief. Gives me more time for BG3 and probably would have needed to upgrade stuff to play it. Was not looking forward to that bill.

I'll just snag the GOTY edition in a few years.

odhiex

Looks good, the aggregate scores were to be expected. I think it is a bit overhype tho, depending on your expectations.

Nobody_Important

if u like RPG stay playing BG3, Starfield RPG elements are wide as a puddle and deep as a puddle too.
Damn that's rough. I was mainly interested in the exploration though. But it sounds like the game is a lot less than what people were expecting.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Damn that's rough. I was mainly interested in the exploration though. But it sounds like the game is a lot less than what people were expecting.

Honestly, expectations, both genuine and artificial were bloated. They had been calling this Skyrim in Space since 2020, 2021. If that's the kind of game you're into, you'll find this likely fun.

But if that's not what you want out of this, it's ok to wait a few more days, see what some streamers etc you follow have to say about it before making a decision on buying / playing. Since it's a huge game, it's not an easy to make commitment, I understand. It's probably why I'm also not starting either Sea of Stars or getting BG3 at the moment, because I know this is what I want to play a lot first.

GHG

Gold Member
I then watched the people that played it for 100s of hours and they adore it. Fextralife thinks its amazing too.

This is a curious one (especially for you considering how much you tend to talk about combat and "gameplay" being important) because he had this to say about the gameplay and combat specifically:

"The gun play in combat in Starfield is probably one of the weaker aspects of the game lacking the pause and dismember features of Fallout. Free gunning on low gravity systems against floaty targets but you yourself jump around and without a cover system was not quite my favorite activity. There's a good variety of weapons and mods to customize the experience you can opt for mines and frags or even close quarters with a hatchet or sword but overall the combat was something I wanted to get done with and not what I look forward to."

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Sure.

Practically the same in all platform games, as these websites *are* metacritic / opencritic certified.

gmxRejI.jpg
As its been pointed out...this isnt a good example when the game had an overall 94 score.

Forbidden West might be a better example.

Nobody_Important

Honestly, expectations, both genuine and artificial were bloated. They had been calling this Skyrim in Space since 2020, 2021. If that's the kind of game you're into, you'll find this likely fun.

But if that's not what you want out of this, it's ok to wait a few more days, see what some streamers etc you follow have to say about it before making a decision on buying / playing. Since it's a huge game, it's not an easy to make commitment, I understand. It's probably why I'm also not starting either Sea of Stars or getting BG3 at the moment, because I know this is what I want to play a lot first.
Nah I'm just passing on it until the inevitable GOTY edition that Bethesda always does. It will be cheaper and more complete. If the reviews were sweepingly godlike similar to what BG3 was I would be sweating it, but an 80 something average along with what I've seen isn't enough to make me rush out and buy it.

BG3 is more than enough to take up the next 500 hours of my time and I won't have to change my setup at all.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
As its been pointed out...this isnt a good example when the game had an overall 94 score.

Forbidden West might be a better example.

Good shout, I didn't even think about it, posted infamous Second Son as another example a few posts after the original one tho.

Top Bottom