• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Madflavor

FUCK YEAH! Another Starfield thread.

Get in here boys!

🎉🥳🎉🥳🎉

giphy.gif

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
What drives me nuts is how they didn't see why people love Skyrim so much. It's not the stories, gear, or combat.

It's how it feels to BE there. More than any other game I've played, probably, Skyrim gets 1000 miles per gallon from sense of place. I want to be there, talk to people who live there, see everything above and below the surface. Not for gear or questlines, but merely because I'm curious.

To replicate that feeling in space, I need to BE IN SPACE.

It's hard to see anything so far that piques my curiosity in Starfield. It feels immediately inert and flat.

Impossible to do in space, but what they should've done is take another few years and develop Skyrim level of immersion on one of the Planets... kinda of like having Skyrim as a game within the game.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Repeated content is the one thing I am yet to encounter, but then again I've only played for about 20hrs.

I wonder if a 7/10 caused more clicks than a 8/10 would have?

Guy just genuinely thought it was a 7/10. What's funny is I don't know why IGN's review got literally all the attention, while Gamespot (who gave it the same rating) didn't.

Thaedolus

I’m actually surprised by how well it runs on my 6 year old CPU. Also by how it plays pretty much the same as any other Bethesda RPG…which I like…but feels real samey to me

Last edited:
Repeated content is the one thing I am yet to encounter, but then again I've only played for about 20hrs.

I wonder if a 7/10 caused more clicks than a 8/10 would have?
Whether that came into consideration for them as an outlet when scoring, they definitely know the score would give them clicks ... hence leading with the score itself on numerous Twitter posts

l9pHZrk.png

oKqWfNz.png

Last edited:

Kilau

I’ve only had one glitch so far, audio distortion but the performance isn’t great and the people that said it was the “smoothest 30fps” ever are crazy. PC performance is meh so far, lots more tweaking to do. Like the game though 2.5/5

ReBurn

Gold Member
NeoGAF sure did get a nice new layer of astroturf in the past 6 days. Sooner or later they'll convince everyone that the game is bad.

Last edited:

Eotheod

On my 6800XT and 3800XT CPU it's running smooth as butter. Obviously that doesn't remove any potential issues for others, but that first review has the person using a 3060 so it should definitely be going okay on that.

Though there is definitely a discussion to be had on how games are performing now with older cards that are significantly limited by 6 or 8GB cards. I feel there will be further issues with those types of cards as games get heavier in demand. NVIDIA really fucked up their 3000 series VRAM amounts.

Edit: I do find it funny the contrast between Starfield console performance and Baldur's Gate 3 performance. Just a nice chuckle from me on how the interpretation and handling is different.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Couldn't they just merge Starlink: Battle for Atlas into Fallout and call it a day?

I guess random generators and old engines will always be easier.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Well...this certainly wasn't on the bingo card.

Sheesh.

You can post a review of a game on Game Pass without owning it.
But....you have to have Game Pass or at least be in the Xbox ecosystem, right?

The purpose of putting games on Game Pass is to have access to that game. I just tried with a game not on Game Pass and I couldnt add a review. I just finished updating Starfield, haven't even launched it yet and I can add a review.....because I have Game Pass.

graywolf323

What's funny about that is if you read the top rated comments in that thread, they either agree or understand why it got a 7/10. One guy mentioned he's starting to see a lot of repeated content.

There's been so many threads on the Starfield subreddit since launch, talking about how much they love the guy despite critics, how people who don't love it are stupid, people had the wrong expectations, etc etc. It's really been the first three stages of grief in full force over there.
same thing is happening here including some people hilariously trying to gaslight saying that Starfield wasn’t massively hyped

I got to New Atlantis, so far I can’t say I’m enjoying it even as much as Fallout 4, doesn’t help that it looks absolutely awful on the Steam Deck 😬 I mean seriously I’ve seen better looking 360 games… don’t get me wrong I wasn’t expecting the Deck to be able to run it on high settings or anything, I just didn’t think low would look so awful while still getting such low frame rates 😕 now that I’ve gotten the space suit from the glitched display case I’ll probably shelve the game until patches/mods get it performing better

Connxtion

Edit: this was originally in the PC gamepass review thread that has now been merged with this one.

A suspect the issue is the fact you can’t change the resolution of the game unless you run it windowed.

Mine defaulted to 4K so with my minisforum UM690 I was getting teens for FPS. Changing it to 1080p windowed I got a perfectly fine FPS & was playable.

GPU is a 680M and I only gave it 3GB of useable memory set to 4200 as 4800 seems to randomly reboot my computer 😑 (found out later setting it to 4600 works fine also)

So how folks with far better GPUs and probably CPUs than my 6900HX (mobile cpu) are getting horrible performance I can only make a guess it’s due to the forced resolution in full screen.

Or it’s troll reviews 🤷‍♂️

Am running the gamepass version as it’s free to me on PC.

Last edited:

TrueGrime

When people are willing to shell out $100 and $70 for the steam version, I'm sure everyone knows what they think of Xbox PC GP.

Game is showing 4 out of 5 for the Xbox version with 2K+. I'm curious to see how everything unfolds for Starfield's first weekend after release.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I assume these people didn’t get the dlss mod.

This is the first easy to mod gamepass pc game. If anything it’s a 5/5 because I don’t have to buy the steam version to mess with the files. Wish all of them were like this.

Madflavor

same thing is happening here including some people hilariously trying to gaslight saying that Starfield wasn’t massively hyped

I got to New Atlantis, so far I can’t say I’m enjoying it even as much as Fallout 4, doesn’t help that it looks absolutely awful on the Steam Deck 😬 I mean seriously I’ve seen better looking 360 games… don’t get me wrong I wasn’t expecting the Deck to be able to run it on high settings or anything, I just didn’t think low would look so awful while still getting such low frame rates 😕 now that I’ve gotten the space suit from the glitched display case I’ll probably shelve the game until patches/mods get it performing better

Bethesda needs to do better. They seriously cannot just do the same same thing with the exact same dated systems with Elder Scrolls VI. It's been 12 years since Skyrim, they need to evolve the formula.

Atrus

Gold Member
What I find surprising is that even coming into this with lowered expectations, the game manages to fail to meet that.

While there are some good aspects, it is basically a fresh paint on an ancient engine complete with the severe limitations and problems as a result.

It’s currently straddling the mediocre to good barrier that would justify a purchase and is in dire need of mods. I’ll need to spend more time to firm up my conclusions but it’s not looking good so far.

twilo99

Gold Member
On my 6800XT and 3800XT CPU it's running smooth as butter. Obviously that doesn't remove any potential issues for others, but that first review has the person using a 3060 so it should definitely be going okay on that.

Though there is definitely a discussion to be had on how games are performing now with older cards that are significantly limited by 6 or 8GB cards. I feel there will be further issues with those types of cards as games get heavier in demand. NVIDIA really fucked up their 3000 series VRAM amounts.

Edit: I do find it funny the contrast between Starfield console performance and Baldur's Gate 3 performance. Just a nice chuckle from me on how the interpretation and handling is different.

I've got a 6800xt and a 5800x3d and smooth as butter is not what I got lol

VRR saves the day of course

twilo99

Gold Member
When people are willing to shell out $100 and $70 for the steam version, I'm sure everyone knows what they think of Xbox PC GP.

Game is showing 4 out of 5 for the Xbox version with 2K+. I'm curious to see how everything unfolds for Starfield's first weekend after release.

I still don't understand why we don't have a rating system on gamepass

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Whether that came into consideration for them as an outlet when scoring, they definitely know the score would give them clicks ... hence leading with the score itself on numerous Twitter posts

l9pHZrk.png

oKqWfNz.png
Got to get those clicks!............. except when Jeff Gertsman gave Kane & Lynch a 6/10 and UBI got mad and GS fired Gertsmann. In that case, please dont click our review link!

Hoddi

Edit: this was originally in the PC gamepass review thread that has now been merged with this one.

A suspect the issue is the fact you can’t change the resolution of the game unless you run it windowed.

Mine defaulted to 4K so with my minisforum UM690 I was getting teens for FPS. Changing it to 1080p windowed I got a perfectly fine FPS & was playable.

GPU is a 680M and I only gave it 3GB of useable memory set to 4200 as 4800 seems to randomly reboot my computer 😑 (found out later setting it to 4600 works fine also)

So how folks with far better GPUs and probably CPUs than my 6900HX (mobile cpu) are getting horrible performance I can only make a guess it’s due to the forced resolution in full screen.

Or it’s troll reviews 🤷‍♂️

Am running the gamepass version as it’s free to me on PC.
It's not just the resolution. I've tried running the game at 640x360 (720p with FSR at 50%) and it's still GPU bound on my 2080 Ti running at circa 60fps. I've also tried downclocking the card and performance scales almost linearly even at this ultra low resolution. It meanwhile runs at ~40fps at my display's native 3440x1440 resolution.

I've seen this behavior in a small handful of games over the past few years but they've all been fixed through patches and driver updates. So, I'm moderately hopeful that it will be fixed. Or at least perform better.

Last edited:

sendit

No ultrawide support = go fuck yourself Todd as fair as I'm concerned.

Are we still in the 00's or something.
No ultra wide support in menu, photomode (there is a mod that fixes this), and cut scenes. Ultrawide is fully supported in the actual gameplay.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
No ultrawide support = go fuck yourself Todd as fair as I'm concerned.

Are we still in the 00's or something.

Really? I thought some folks at some convention had ultrawides playing it, it doesn't natively support it? smh

For how...2023 everyone lol

I've been playing since last night and while I like the game for what it is, it's definitely not Bethesda's best work or even close to it.

I'm trying to look past the negatives like loading screens and the horrible menus and too much fast travel. I like the art style and setting of the game and so far the mainline story quests have been great with interesting characters and dialogue along the way. If I was to rate the game personally I'd give it a 7.5/10. It's an awesome game when everything clicks but it has too many things stopping it from being one of the GOATs like Skyrim was. The constant loading is very annoying and I can't help but feel restricted with the space traveling. Maybe it's my thousands of hours in Star Citizen, NMS, and Elite but every time I see my ship I want to get in and fly it everywhere unrestricted and I can't do that in this game. Inventory management is also super annoying in this game and the lack of vehicles is baffling to say the least. it's a good game when you look past its flaws but it's no masterpiece. Bethesda definitely need to update their game design and throw away the Creation Engine because IMO it's restricting them too much. This game shouldn't have been made with the Creation Engine, it's too dated for a game with this level of ambition of exploring an entire galaxy.

While Starfield has been released with positive reviews on Steam, the same can't be said for the Game Pass/Xbox App version.

Weighting 140.8 GB instead of 116 GB and with low peformance, the game is currently 2.5/5.0 on overall user scores, and going lower, the vast majority of complains due to it's very poor peformance.

0XmDan3.png

T4Hlmim.png

F5YO5dcX0AA_mfZ
😅 Damn, I've been playing it from the Xbox app with the DLSS 3 mod. Runs perfectly on my rig but then again I have a 4090 lol.

I didn't know that many people were upset with the XboxApp/GamePass version lol

I'm using the Xbox App because I got a nice $1 trial with my graphics card when I built my PC. I'll eventually get the Steam version after a price drop and mods arrive in full force 😁

His take seems sensible to me:

To each his own, the video comes off as very ignorant to me. But that’s to be expected when he admits he’s only played the game for eleven hours or whatever. But his complaints seem pretty meh. Bethesda games are usually full of quests where you find out things about people and have a chance to either expose them or exchange that info for something beneficial to you or even kill those people. Starfield is no different.

The exploration complaints are the dumbest imho. He clearly bought into massive hype from somewhere other than BGS if he thought you could explore anywhere any time. And if he thinks the planets are all dull lifeless bores then why does he care if exploring those planets is broken down into sectors?

It’s a common complaint I see with the game and I’m not sure why. “most of the planets are empty!” I mean yeah, it’s space. You can scan planets before landing and tell what kind of terrain there is. And when you have such a massive game with massive amounts of content, it’s also very YMMV. He complains that the planets have “at most one species” on them or whatever but in my experience the planets with life have had 6-8+ different life forms to scan. And not the tiny things he’s describing. I just did one with like five elements, six plants to discover, and seven life forms. Plus a few secret traits to uncover.

If he’s not into flying around, scanning planets, and landing somewhere and scanning for interesting stuff, that’s fine, but then why play Starfield? It’s like complaining that GT or Forza has too many “boring” cars compared to 800 horse power sports cars.

The game is far from perfect. I don’t remember if he complained about the UI, but I think it’s pretty horrific. I’ve also complained about the lackluster melee combat and weapon offerings in the OT, too.

Isn’t that guy a big YouTuber? I am positive I have seen one of my kids watching him eat a bunch of fast food.

drotahorror

Eh, like pretty much every Bethesda game (ES/FO), I can't play for more than an hour or so. Gunplay is shit, fairly boring gameplay in general (searching and looking at every item). Looked to see if you get any powers and most of those even looked boring. The effects are so bad on those and lots of powers just overlap or cancel another out because one could just be way more useful.

On a better note, game ran 60+ fps for me (6700k/3060ti). Mostly maxed graphics except Shadows on High, GTAO on Medium, and Volumetric Lighting on Medium? or Low I can't remember. Also using DLSS from nexus @ 1080p. Even with Motion blur on though, 60 feels weird, maybe if I locked it to 60, just feels weird when turning, an odd hitch. No freezing, or CTD's or anything like that though.

But yeah I've never enjoyed any Elder Scrolls or FPS Fallout game, so I wasn't surprised I couldn't get into Starfield. I can see the appeal and glad I got to atleast try it on Gamepass. I probably would have bought it on deep sale and been disappointed about wasting money. Now I don't have to worry about that.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Baldur's Gate is really cleaning Starfield's clock on Steam.

It just came out and has noticeably less players than BG3 that is actually ridiculous.
According to your post in the other thread, Starfield has 1 million concurrent players across all platforms - handily beating BG3, which had 850k on Steam (it's only platform). Or are you only considering Steam in isolation for the purposes of this thread?

Gudji

Bethesda needs to do better. They seriously cannot just do the same same thing with the exact same dated systems with Elder Scrolls VI. It's been 12 years since Skyrim, they need to evolve the formula.
They can, they will and it will continue to score 9s and 10s from fanboys. That game will be even more hyped than starfield.

Last edited:
Top Bottom