• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

devilNprada

Just someone who hasn't played something like that yet.
Oh, I thought I read he dabbled in Oblivion.. I took it as, completely skipped Skyrim, so must not be his cup of tea. In which case I could care less (or more that I don't have time) for his opinion.
But honestly, I don't pay much attention to them anyway. I know my gaming tastes. I know real quick if I want to give a game a go or not.
DITTO

The gafers that say "It's a typical Bethesda rpg" is good enough for me. I will dive into it right after BG3.

DryvBy

I've only put 2 hours in today and I'll give a quick overview for my thoughts.

Good:
-Bethesda RPG, love it or hate it, it's what you expect. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm ok with that.
-The robot said my name and that felt good.
-Shooting is better than Fallout 4.

Bad:
-Everything about the space system is utterly trash. The combat is bad (you spin in a circle to fight , moving feels worthless). The traveling system is worse than how I felt it was described.
-The AI didn't graduate elementary school.
-Graphics feel very last gen. It's not just the framerate, just everything looks bland. Even the lighting isn't amazing. I really don't know why this game can't run on a Series X using 60fps because it's nothing to write home about.
-30fps doesn't feel like it's truly 30fps. It feels like it was a higher framerate and then resampled down to 30fps. If you're not turning the camera, it's fine but it's extremely choppy feeling.

Funny:
-You can go under a rocket and take no damage while it's landing or blasting off.
-Shooting NPCs with the mining gun just makes them go "watch it!" without getting in your face.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
New all-time peak hit.

AQzs9Wg.jpg

damidu

The default color grading and film grain settings seem like they are 2001 space odyssey inspired. I get what they were going for but it’s a little overdone in some instances.
yeah i thought it was bug, going by screenshots.
but now see its 100% intentional. using mod to remove it feels wrong in that sense.

devilNprada

I haven't heard much Sandbox element addressed yet?

Is all you can build is a spacecraft? Does the building consist of selecting limited option parts like in Skyrim or modeling and shaping like in Fallout 4?
I am hoping it's developed to something much better than clunky Fallout 4.

What is the long term potential of the game as far as adding exploration as people have suggested, or building communities on other planets and things of that nature?.
Being somewhat a GAAS I would think those type of things would be added in the future.

Bojji

I've played it for about 11hrs since it released yesterday. I like it a lot :)

Same here.

I have played for around 10 hours today.

Runs around 50-90FPS (depends on location) with HU settings and DLSS mod on 4070/5800X3D.

So far game is very good, much better than my first contact with previous BS games.

yazenov

Yea pretty hard to guess with gamepass in the mix but 400k to 500k is a good guess me thinks.

But according to MS, Game pass increases game sales. From this website:

Xbox Game Pass significantly increases game sales and playtime says Microsoft​

• 20 percent increase in playtime.
  • 40 percent increase in number of games played.
  • Whenever new games enter Xbox Game Pass, active players double.
  • 25 percent increase in preorders.
  • 10 percent increase in franchise sales.

DJ12

No ultrawide support = go fuck yourself Todd as fair as I'm concerned.

Are we still in the 00's or something.

Pelta88

But according to MS, Game pass increases game sales. From this website:

In court, where you can't do PR smoke or obfuscate numbers because your statements are legally binding...

Everything XBOX has said about GP in regards to engagement, subscriber numbers, and boosting game sales was false. By their own admission.

yazenov

In court, where you can't do PR smoke or obfuscate numbers because your statements are legally binding...

Everything XBOX has said about GP in regards to engagement, subscriber numbers, and boosting game sales was false. By their own admission.

I know about the leaked court documents. I was just using MS's own bullshit against them now that it's not convenient for them if Gamepass affects its sales numbers.. They still haven't retracted that statement so I'll keep using it until they do :messenger_beaming:

SRTtoZ

This is a pretty good review / analysis of the game and its weaknesses with actual examples that I haven't seen others talk about.

For example, he mentions:
  • A very cool side questline where the player exposes a major corruption scandal and personnel in an authoritative position. But after doing everything, nothing changes. The personnel stays in that position, the world doesn't react to whatever you did, and everything in the world remains the same.
  • He tried to smuggle contraband into a city by parking his ship (with the contraband) far away from the city and finding another ship that could be cleared by security. He thought it'd be a creative way to get past. But the contraband automatically transfers to the new ship, and the security forces blast him. He said there is not enough freedom in the game.
I like the specific examples in his video, instead of just meaningless rants about why the game is 0/10 or meaningless hype about why the game is 10/10.

He pretty much nails what I said about the game. Keep in mind I am no fan of his either. The best way to say it is exactly how he puts it. This is your standard Bethesda RPG experience. No more, no less. Like you won't be surprised if you like it if you LOVE Skyrim and Fallout. You also won't like the game if you weren't a huge fan of their open world experiences. If you expected it to be a huge leap from other Bethesda open world games, then you'll be disappointed.

ByWatterson

Played about an hour. Shockingly poor space component. There is literally no travel. It's the illusion of travel as objects move around you. Space combat is thoroughly tedious. It's just your head on a swivel. No sense of exploration, movement, or place.

Like....truly inept. Load screen simulator. How. How is this the game they wanted to make.

Jimmy_liv

I've played for 27 hours since Friday. Loved Fallout and Skyrim but wasn't particularly impressed by anything I'd seen on SF.

After 27 hours i can safely say that the missions are just so much fun.
Some of the best Bethesda quests I've ever seen.

It's a shame it's presented in this typical wooden Bethesda way because some of it could be so so epic but still....such good enjoyable fun.

Played about an hour. Shockingly poor space component. There is literally no travel. It's the illusion of travel as objects move around you. Space combat is thoroughly tedious. It's just your head on a swivel. No sense of exploration, movement, or place.

Like....truly inept. Load screen simulator. How. How is this the game they wanted to make.

They totally fucked up all things space travel. Shame because there's a lot to like but navigating the menu's and dealing with load screens sucks. Also, yeah, immersion killer every time your in the ship thanks to that feeling of being in the center of the screen with objects moving around you. Damn shame i say.

ByWatterson

They totally fucked up all things space travel. Shame because there's a lot to like but navigating the menu's and dealing with load screens sucks. Also, yeah, immersion killer every time your in the ship thanks to that feeling of being in the center of the screen with objects moving around you. Damn shame i say.

And far from being unapproachable, the planets aren't even there! They appear to just be low-res textures. Posters on a wall.

I really, really can't believe how there is no space in this space game.

Last edited:
He pretty much nails what I said about the game. Keep in mind I am no fan of his either. The best way to say it is exactly how he puts it. This is your standard Bethesda RPG experience. No more, no less. Like you won't be surprised if you like it if you LOVE Skyrim and Fallout. You also won't like the game if you weren't a huge fan of their open world experiences. If you expected it to be a huge leap from other Bethesda open world games, then you'll be disappointed.

It's a shame Bethesda doesn't go the extra step necessary to maintain immersion in their games. That example of the contraband is a perfect one. Lots of stuff like that. I feel that is a big flaw with the game. The great RPGs of the past Reacted properly to things like that. Bethesda could've programmed npc's to react to that possibility. Why they don't is beyond me.

I think a lot of the issue around Starfield's reviews is that it is scoring markedly worse than over-inflated games like Final Fantasy XVI, ToTK and to some extent, BG3, despite being a good game.

The IGN review for example gave it a 7 despite saying its a great game. This might make sense in the real world, but anybody who has payed attention to the gaming industry for a hot minute knows that the score is shady.

Last edited:
And far from being unapproachable, the planets aren't even there! They appear to just be low-res textures. Posters on a wall.

I really, really can't believe how there is no space in this space game.

Yeah man it's baffling that Bethesda makes "their dream game" but bungled such a key component of being in outer space. Like with how much they hyped the game up you'd think they would've put more effort into certain things. I like aspects of the game. Love the idea of being able to go to 1000 different unique planets with a mix of procedural and hand crafted stuff, but did they make it compelling enough to deliver on this concept?

Sticking close to missions and quests seems to be the best way to enjoy the game but they should've made the monent to monent act of explorayion more interesting. The scanner is something I thought would have way more usefulness. There are only several types of minerals, plants, and enemies to interact with while walking around...I was expecting to be able to scan everything, give us something to do ta know?

Last edited:

ByWatterson

Yeah man it's baffling that Bethesda makes "their dream game" but bungled such a key component of being in outer space. Like with how much they hyped the game up you'd think they would've put more effort into certain things. I like aspects of the game. Love the idea of being able to go to 1000 different unique planets with a mix of procedural and hand crafted stuff, but did they make it compelling enough to deliver on this concept?

Sticking close to missions and quests seems to be the best way to enjoy the game but they should've made the monent to monent act of explorayion more interesting. The scanner is something I thought would have way more usefulness. There are only several types of minerals, plants, and enemies to interact with while walking around...I was expecting to be able to scan everything, give us something to do ta know?

What drives me nuts is how they didn't see why people love Skyrim so much. It's not the stories, gear, or combat.

It's how it feels to BE there. More than any other game I've played, probably, Skyrim gets 1000 miles per gallon from sense of place. I want to be there, talk to people who live there, see everything above and below the surface. Not for gear or questlines, but merely because I'm curious.

To replicate that feeling in space, I need to BE IN SPACE.

It's hard to see anything so far that piques my curiosity in Starfield. It feels immediately inert and flat.

Last edited:
What drives me nuts is how they didn't see why people love Skyrim so much. It's not the stories, gear, or combat.

It's how it feels to BE there. More than any other game I've played, probably, Skyrim gets 1000 miles per gallon from sense of place. I want to be there, talk to people who live there, see everything above and below the surface. Not for gear or questlines, but merely because I'm curious.

To replicate that feeling in space, I need to BE IN SPACE.

It's hard to see anything so far that piques my curiosity in Starfield. It feels immediately inert and flat.

Well said

Madflavor

What's funny about that is if you read the top rated comments in that thread, they either agree or understand why it got a 7/10. One guy mentioned he's starting to see a lot of repeated content.

There's been so many threads on the Starfield subreddit since launch, talking about how much they love the guy despite critics, how people who don't love it are stupid, people had the wrong expectations, etc etc. It's really been the first three stages of grief in full force over there.

twilo99

Gold Member
Repeated content is the one thing I am yet to encounter, but then again I've only played for about 20hrs.

I wonder if a 7/10 caused more clicks than a 8/10 would have?

Last edited:
Top Bottom