• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield's Shattered Space DLC Launches to Mixed Reviews, Reportedly only 10+ Hours Long

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There were letting negative reviews in the first 30 minutes of the release. In that time you barely have time to get the DLC quest.

Shocked National Lampoons Christmas Vacation GIF by Max

Novaex

Neo Member
Watched a streamer yesterday. Gameplay was okay. Game looks also nice...but man these dialogues!!! Wow! Its just yapping of complete nonsense everywhere. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I didn't expect the gunplay of a dedicated shooter but still. A fair comparison would be Cyberpunk and the gameplay there is significantly better. But yeah...the gameplay was the least of it's problems. The writing, world building and exploration on the other hand were atrocious.
Sorry for my negativity. I'm still salty I wasted 100€ on the early access version of the game:messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Calling bullshit on that 10 hours long nonsense.

Took a screenshot when I started downloading the game yesterday...

RIT3ylN.png

I played 7 hours since then. No side quests. Just main story and I've only completed one of the three house quests so I'm not even at the midway point yet. Looking more like a 20 hour expansion to me.

2CD9RjH.png

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Haven't started the Dlc yet as got caught up finishing some other quests.

Looking forward to it though. My favourite was the crimson fleet quest line in the main game.

If you didnt like the main game before I doubt this will sway you.

I never got into the ship modifications other than upgrades or resource building at all. That bit just seemed boring to me. Was I missing out?

Did bethesda have a mass purge of competence around 2012 or whatever happened to this dev? The drop in quality is a tragedy.
I don't think there was a drop in quality, I think the problem is that they may be too consistent. If you look at Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, and now Starfield. It's just the same game with different stories and objectives. Creation engine needs to die.

Krathoon

The horror of space. The horror. lol.

Doesn't this DLC have the space rover? I am not seeing anything talking about it.

Last edited:
10-15 hours is absolutely fine for DLC, most of the Skyrim DLC was shorter than that. The issue is that Skyrim didn't need much change to the core gameplay, so the DLC just needed to offer more of the same but with new and exciting stories. Starfield still feels unfinished though. They still need to be working on removing the billion loading screens when traveling, making base-building fun and consequential, and creating some kind of index (or journal, starlog, holodex, whatever the hell you want to call it) to keep information on planets, missions, resources, etc.......

Those changes are the minimum by the way...............I'm just not sure Bethesda understands what they need to do with this game anymore

Topher

Gold Member
Have to say, it was refreshing to start playing this expansion without any reviews or such to muddy my perception. Just started playing and I was quickly hooked with the story. Now I'm reading some of the Steam reviews and it seems that the primary complaint is that it is "more of the same". Not really though. If this just added on missions to one of the factions we've already played through then yeah, but this is a lot more than that. Saw some claim there were no pivotal decisions, but I've already encountered one massive such decision in the first house quest I finished so not sure these folks have played very much at all. Unfortunately, Steam only includes the time played in the base game even if playing the expansion.

TheChumpNation

Neo Member
I don't think there was a drop in quality, I think the problem is that they may be too consistent. If you look at Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, and now Starfield. It's just the same game with different stories and objectives. Creation engine needs to die.

I think the problem is that their games are consistently, slowly, declining. I think there's a clear drop off in quality when it comes to gameplay design from Morrowind, to Oblivion, to Fallout 3, to Skyrim, to Fallout 4, Fallout 76 and then Starfield.

Although the first four are all some level of great, each game kind of becomes a paler shadow of it's predecessor with less gameplay freedom and possibility (which was a huge part of what drew people to these games in the first place).

Dr. Suchong

My favourite game to fall asleep to.
Number of times I've awoke to see the camera spinning around my character in third person perspective must be bordering on the hundreds.
Or at least it would be if I played it enough.
Which I don't.
There's something compelling about how drab and bureaucratic it all is.
Pissing off Sarah(?) is always fun too.
Self righteous bitch.

Have to say, it was refreshing to start playing this expansion without any reviews or such to muddy my perception. Just started playing and I was quickly hooked with the story. Now I'm reading some of the Steam reviews and it seems that the primary complaint is that it is "more of the same". Not really though. If this just added on missions to one of the factions we've already played through then yeah, but this is a lot more than that. Saw some claim there were no pivotal decisions, but I've already encountered one massive such decision in the first house quest I finished so not sure these folks have played very much at all. Unfortunately, Steam only includes the time played in the base game even if playing the expansion.

There's nothing I hate more than someone enjoying something I don't like

Seems like we're seeing some review bombing, I guess.

BigLee74

Kind of confused as to what people were expecting from DLC? Obviously they aren’t going to alter the core gameplay in any way!

Maybe they should have held on to the 60fps/land vehicle and included them with the release of this DLC to bring something ‘new’ to the party for those that aren’t happy with just the new area/story/missions?

Topher

Gold Member
Kind of confused as to what people were expecting from DLC? Obviously they aren’t going to alter the core gameplay in any way!

Maybe they should have held on to the 60fps/land vehicle and included them with the release of this DLC to bring something ‘new’ to the party for those that aren’t happy with just the new area/story/missions?

It is the Ass virus from the terrorist organization known as Can Whooping. See pic...

qdHiysy.jpeg

Top Bottom