• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield's Shattered Space DLC Launches to Mixed Reviews, Reportedly only 10+ Hours Long

GHG

I can’t be the only one that is tired of the relentless negativity around every game?

It's not every game though?

Go look at comments surround most of the games mentioned in the following tow threads and I think you'll find most people are talking about having a good time:

King Dazzar

Nah hes right the game runs miles better now than it did at launch.
Its early days for me. But on XSX. Not only am I getting smooth performance now in fidelity mode using VRR 120hz. But the awful lighting and poor HDR caused impart by raised black level has been fixed via the HDR brightness slider - which controls black level. Which for a game set in space makes a lot of difference. The HDR is much better.

So its not only now running well, but I'm also not suffering the terribly washed out look from launch.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I regret buying starfield at all. Bethesda knew they were releasing a empty game and they still hyped the shit out of it
It’s far from empty. There’s a shit ton of content. Sidequests thrown at you all of the place, faction quest lines with multiple outcomes, activities added to you list just by overhearing conversations, ship building, base building, etc. You can say you don’t like what the game has to offer, but saying it’s empty is fucking stupid.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Please stop promoting Luke Stephens. He's a clown who stole content in the past and nowadays is just regurgitating the general opinion of the masses.
GF2nelC.jpeg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Its early days for me. But on XSX. Not only am I getting smooth performance now in fidelity mode using VRR 120hz. But the awful lighting and poor HDR caused impart by raised black level has been fixed via the HDR brightness slider - which controls black level. Which for a game set in space makes a lot of difference. The HDR is much better.

So its not only now running well, but I'm also not suffering the terribly washed out look from launch.
What value do you set the slider too? What T? Do you have an settings there if you do not mind sharing?

Frwrd

*Modders haven’t done much if anything [worth mentioning] to the game*

Bethesda [useless pieces of shit] devs: “There is nothing to add, what are we going to sell!?

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Boy I do hope you understand how those 10 hours in open world RPG and 10 hours in something like Space Marine 2 are not actually the same hours. You don’t waste up to 5 hours on Emil’s writing and needless traversal along with loading screens in Space Marine 2, you’re getting condensed cinematic action experience. You’re also don’t spend your time on inventory management, badly written dialogue trees, crafting and other BethRPG stuff.

Look, I can’t say that I hate Starfield, but this game has a tremendous talent of wasting your time on the most trivial actions possible like finding ammo or traversal.

So yeah, 10 hours for RPG content in general is small, in case of Bethesda games you can call this DLC almost tiny for the asking price.

AGRacing

I got through the beginning this afternoon on PC. The first set piece. It was unique vs other things I’ve seen in the game at this point. I’ll keep playing. Feels interesting.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
It’s far from empty. There’s a shit ton of content. Sidequests thrown at you all of the place, faction quest lines with multiple outcomes, activities added to you list just by overhearing conversations, ship building, base building, etc. You can say you don’t like what the game has to offer, but saying it’s empty is fucking stupid.

The world is extremely empty with nothing exciting or emergent happening

Life Diff

Is anyone surprised? Bethesda are creatively bankrupt. The writing especially has got worse and worse. I have no doubt ES6 will do well sales wise but if it's like Starfield - hard fucking pass from me.

FewRope

Bethesda games suck so much ass, ES6 its going to be a piece of shit too. They are terrible developers, maybe 15 years ago Obliivion was actually ground breaking but not anymore

Sybrix

The 10-15 hours play time is perfectly fine for a DLC.

It appears Bethesda are heading in right direction with a focus on one planet and making it an actual planet to explore and discover stuff, as opposed to the base game where the planets are sparse and empty.

But Bethesda need to crank it into top gear tbh, they need to be releasing updates to the base game to increase the number of POI on all the planets, each update with at least 5-10 planets each with multiple unique POIs where it actully feels like your exploring a new world.

Or do some DLC where one of the systems has this type of update, where we get at least 5 planets to explore with this level of detail.

It's what should have been in the base game already, back when Todd Howard said "100s of planets" i was fearful then & thought no way are they going to be achive a Skyrim on each planet, which is what the implication was.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

What value do you set the slider too? What T? Do you have an settings there if you do not mind sharing?
From what I've found so far. The higher you set the HDR brightness slider, the lower the black level - so max it at 1.00; Brightness 2.40 default and contrast default of zero. Frame rate target 60, visuals. XSX system 120hz and VRR enabled. HDR calibration make sure you set black level to zero/minimum.

Last edited:
It’s going to take a complete rework to bring people back. If they really plan to support this for years to come maybe that happens. They might be better off moving on.
Bethesda needs to just focus on the next Elder Scrolls game now and Phil Spencer needs to put his foot down and tell Todd that he's taking the Fallout franchise away from him and giving it to one of the other 1st party Microsoft devs like Sledgehammer, MachineGames, id, Avalanche, Arkane, InXile or even Obsidian(Outer Worlds sucked though :pie_thinking: ) because otherwise it will take another decade to see Fallout 5 because Bethesda take an age to do everything.

GinSama

The 10-15 hours play time is perfectly fine for a DLC.

It appears Bethesda are heading in right direction with a focus on one planet and making it an actual planet to explore and discover stuff, as opposed to the base game where the planets are sparse and empty.
I still need to start the dlc yet, but that's the thing that I keep hearing from people that played already and the trailers from Bethesda shows that....and yet I see people saying is the same game, same faults like not handmade environment, empty spaces, same issues as the base game whatever ....

I'm a bit confused...

Top Bottom