• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield's Shattered Space DLC Launches to Mixed Reviews, Reportedly only 10+ Hours Long

BigLee74

I'm a moron and bought the expensive edition, so I have this on Steam, but no way I'm reinstalling. This was the most disappointing game of the past 5 years for me. Was so ready for an epic space Elder Scrolls. What I got was shittier than No Man's Sky.
I love these takes.

FWIW, it played exactly like Elder Scrolls in space to me, and was nothing like No Mans Sky (thank god).

Sybrix

ES6 started sweating on Starfield's launch.

I supposed the good thing with ES6 is that it should be free from the Starfield issues such as planets having fuck all on them.

At least with ES6 it should be one huge map and this is the major problem with Starfiled.

That sense of exploration that Skyrim and Fallout deliver is completly destroyed in Starfield as each planet has around 5 POI that are copy and pasted on the bulk of the planets making exploration boring and so predictable.

I hoped with Shatterd Space DLC it would be one world with sole focus on it with various and a variety of POIs.

BlackTron

Even worse than my pessimistic guess which is becoming a thing lately. Some people were hoping this would fix this games reputation...man imagine if Starfield had just been a random game that came out on Steam with no connection to Xbox/Bethesda. Wouldn't have been a big deal, and could be reasonably enjoyed by those who noticed it as yet another game of thousands instead of having to carry the weight of being a system selling gen saving Mona Lisa.

RavageX

I am not expecting much from the DLC. I'm not even in a rush to get around to it. HOWEVER....

I expected mods to improve this game to the length of Elder Scrolls. Unless I am missing something....alot of the mods seem to suck? Let me rephrase that, they just don't seem to be the same quality as before.

Trunim

I don't think there was a drop in quality, I think the problem is that they may be too consistent. If you look at Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, and now Starfield. It's just the same game with different stories and objectives. Creation engine needs to die.
I don’t agree with that. The quality of the games like skyrim and Oblivion were on another level than Starfield. There is a clear drop in quality starting from fallout 4, then an even harder drop with fallout 76 and when you think it couldnt get worse, they release starfield. The only thing consistent is the decline.

Kacho

I don’t agree with that. The quality of the games like skyrim and Oblivion were on another level than Starfield. There is a clear drop in quality starting from fallout 4, then an even harder drop with fallout 76 and when you think it couldnt get worse, they release starfield. The only thing consistent is the decline.
Yep. The decline is very real.

Kacho

I am not expecting much from the DLC. I'm not even in a rush to get around to it. HOWEVER....

I expected mods to improve this game to the length of Elder Scrolls. Unless I am missing something....alot of the mods seem to suck? Let me rephrase that, they just don't seem to be the same quality as before.
People aren't going to spend time creating mods for a game they don't like.

hollams

Gold Member
I accidentally started the DLC at level 12 and didn't realize it and I kept getting 1 shotted in the first area. I thought it was some of the mods I was running but once I backed out I realized it was the DLC and it does require a much higher level.

King Dazzar

I've bounced off Starfield twice. And with good reason - the game is seriously flawed. But, I'm trying it a third time as of today whilst I still have GPU. I find running it in 120hz VRR and fidelity mode on XSX is at least allowing me to go further this time. There's something here for sure, I'm just hoping I can stay focused on that. We'll see.

Kacho

I accidentally started the DLC at level 12 and didn't realize it and I kept getting 1 shotted in the first area. I thought it was some of the mods I was running but once I backed out I realized it was the DLC and it does require a much higher level.
Level 35

Microsoft's Starfield 1.0 and Diablo IV 1.0 were very boring.

Doom and gloom threads like this pop up and it's just people patting themselves on the back for knowing this was going to be more bad. Congrats! You focused your energy on a apparently deserted product and were dead right they iterated it with more bad content.

Diablo IV has their own new content dump next week, but things have improved so dramatically in a year that I'm excited to see season 6.

Contrast.

killatopak

Gold Member
Microsoft's Starfield 1.0 and Diablo IV 1.0 were very boring.

Doom and gloom threads like this pop up and it's just people patting themselves on the back for knowing this was going to be more bad. Congrats! You focused your energy on a apparently deserted product and were dead right they iterated it with more bad content.

Diablo IV has their own new content dump next week, but things have improved so dramatically in a year that I'm excited to see season 6.

Contrast.
Completely different games. Diablo is gaas. They’re expected to update especially with new ladders and seasons.

Heck even D2R has new patches over the original game due to ladder and online balancing because of all the qol and wider screen breaking balance.

the lord of the rings GIF

JayK47

Maybe this is not worth starting a new game over. Sounds mid as hell. I guess I will just load up my old save and wrap this up in an afternoon. I am really just too busy to be bothered by this game right now. So many other games to play.

Length does not equate to quality…Wtf you comparing it to Uncharted 2 for ffs? 🤦‍♂️
I agree with you. Because saying a game is X hours and therefore is bad is complete non-sense. But I'm sure the other factors surrounding this DLC such as actual gameplay and story aren't that great.

I used Uncharted 2 because I know for a fact it's a 10 hour game.

Last edited:

damidu

kinda amazing how much they suck at writing, while their whole bread an butter genre lives or dies by writing.
you'd think they would focus on it a bit after all the decades

pudel

Last time I checked on nexus there were thousands of mods. Are they all bad? I mean this (nearly) total conversion mod into Starwars looks pretty dope:

Top Bottom